Wearing Wig will thin Hair?

flower

Ladies who wear wigs have you noticed any thinning? One of my relatives believes that wearing a wig will thin your hair over time. I was wondering if it is true? I wear my wig for about a day (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)? Then, let my hair breathe( mesh dorag) until the next morning.

QueenNefi

Is your relative maintaining and caring for her natural hair?

I began wearing a wig about 4 months ago and my hair has never been longer or thicker. I think the problem may be hair care. I still wash, deep condition and moisturize my hair every two weeks. I cornrow it back and wear my wigs when I leave the house.

mscocoface

Only if you are NOT taking care of your hair and the wig.

See my fotki I wore wigs my first 4 years on my HHJ and extensions about 90% of the time and that was not the issue.

beans4reezy

I started wearing wigs last year and gained both growth and thickness due to the fact that I was not manipulating my hair.

Also, if you look at heads on here such Lady Paniolo and Chavascandy; they grew out long and thick manes of hair by wearing wigs. As long as you are taking care of your hair underneath, then wigs are a great protective style

Poopiedo

Thinning can occur if you are allowing the front and back combs of the wig to scratch/dig into the scalp in the same place daily. Some people secure the combs for a super tight fit and that can break and thin the hair around the hairline. Some people curl the front part of the hair that they plan to comb over the wig daily and that will eventually cause thinning and breakage. Using tight nylon wig caps dries the hair out can cause breakage. I use a satin doo rag under my wigs and I never use curlers for the front of my hair. My hair is the healthiest it's been since I was a child.

Improper care for the hair underneath is a primary factor of thinning hair.

Jade Feria

Is your relative maintaining and caring for her natural hair?

I began wearing a wig about 4 months ago and my hair has never been longer or thicker. I think the problem may be hair care. I still wash, deep condition and moisturize my hair every two weeks. I cornrow it back and wear my wigs when I leave the house.
I do the same thing. My hair has gotten thicker and I do nothing but wear wigs, LOL. I found them to be better for my hair's health than weaves because with wigs I can access my hair on a regular basis for treatments, DCs, cowashes, etc.

One thing I would suggest is to make sure your hair is protected underneath. My ends are usually in a baggy underneath and I always wear a satin headband around the perimeter (it usually ends up covering the majority of my head because it's so wide) to protect my edges and nape from the constant rubbing that can be caused by the edges of a wig.

mscocoface

I have to agree regarding the combs. Every wig I owned I removed the combs including my 3/4 wigs. I purchased those long heavy hair pins to keep them pinned down.

Jade Feria

I have to agree regarding the combs. Every wig I owned I removed the combs including my 3/4 wigs. I purchased those long heavy hair pins to keep them pinned down.
Co-signing this. I can't stand the combs. I use bobby pins though, and I prefer to have my hair cornrowed underneath so I can attach the bobby pins to my braids..that's why I leave part of my hair (particularly the middle) unscarved. Plus I've already had a near-incident so I'm paranoid.

aa9746

Ladies who wear wigs have you noticed any thinning? One of my relatives believes that wearing a wig will thin your hair over time. I was wondering if it is true? I wear my wig for about a day (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)? Then, let my hair breathe( mesh dorag) until the next morning.

i've been wearing wigs for over a year now. my hair is much thicker now and my edges are thick too. wigs got me to apl, i'm hoping for bsl this year.

aa9746

Co-signing this. I can't stand the combs. I use bobby pins though, and I prefer to have my hair cornrowed underneath so I can attach the bobby pins to my braids..that's why I leave part of my hair (particularly the middle) unscarved. Plus I've already had a near-incident so I'm paranoid.

Same here, i forgot to add i never use the combs in the wigs or glue and tape when i wear my lace fronts.

MsLizziA

I think im gonna make me a wig... im pretty sure i am.. i gotta get me a manechin head though ...yea i know i spelled that word wrong..

locabouthair

Thinning can occur if you are allowing the front and back combs of the wig to scratch/dig into the scalp in the same place daily. Some people secure the combs for a super tight fit and that can break and thin the hair around the hairline. Some people curl the front part of the hair that they plan to comb over the wig daily and that will eventually cause thinning and breakage. Using tight nylon wig caps dries the hair out can cause breakage. I use a satin doo rag under my wigs and I never use curlers for the front of my hair. My hair is the healthiest it's been since I was a child.

Improper care for the hair underneath is a primary factor of thinning hair.

I agree. When I wore my wigs I took the combs out. BUT I did notice my temples thinning and I believe it was because I was trying to make them look sleek with the wig. I was brushing them everyday (something I never did before) and trying to make it sleek with gel. I used hair clips instead of the combs but maybe they were too tight. The rest of my hairline is fine it's only the temples that suffered.

I only wore the wig for about 4 hrs a day and took it off as soon as I got in the house so I really dont know why the temples thinned out. I wore braids for YEARS on and off and never got damage like this. I was with some LHCFers last weekend and showed them the damage and they thought I was overreacting but I see a difference. :sad:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This Winter, Wiggin' It was been a great PS Style for me.:grin: Allows easy, daily access to my Hair (after work hours) and I can keep it Moisturized, Sealed and Very Well-Conditioned throughout the work-week.:yep:

My Only problem now is: "How will I deal with it, once the Temperature Hits 85, 90, 95 Degrees????? Will I be able to continue during the Warmer weather?:blush: So, Far...Not Sure:perplexed

I toyed back & forth with the Phony-Pony/Bun Look, but like the total coverage of a full-wig.....:yep:

Anyone Successfully Wig It throughout the Entire Summer?:look:

Rei

I don't know...I wore a wig for about a year when I was transitioning and I took out the combs and it still rubbed my nape out. :nono: I think op you just have to b e careful and watch for signs. Sometimes its not just a matter of 'you weren't taking care of your hair" lol. Everyone's hair is different, so, just observe the state of your hair as time goes on

darlingdiva

Just make sure that you are taking care of your hair underneath;you should be fine. Everyone's hair is different, though, so pay attention to YOUR hair. If you notice any adverse effects from using the wig, discontinue use immediately.
I always wear a satin bonnet under my wig, and I never buy the wigs with the comb.
@IDareT'sHair: I wore a wig last summer, and it wasn't bad at all. Last year was a cool summer in NY, though. I leave for Trinidad tonight, and I am taking my wig with me. That will be the real test of whether I can bear wearing a wig in the summer because the heat in Trinidad is no joke.

Thank you for this thread. I'm wearing a half wig as a protective style, and I know ought to to be careful about certain things. Thank you for your stories and advice everyone :)

mzsophisticated26

I have been wearing a half wig for about 7mths and I removed the combs due to my very fine hair. last wk I just noticed my nape is thinning out from the bobbby pins. I never had a thinning nape only edges and temples. I love them for ps so I am gonna stop applying bobby pins in the back for a while and keep it moisturized

tenderheaded

I live in NC and I've worn wigs off and on for 14 yrs! My hair grew, and that was when I didn't know anything about haircare. Both my home and office have great airconditioning, so the 95 degree heat isn't a factor in summer.