WildGrowth Oil/Essential Oils

A

AmilLion

Hello ladies, I've been doing extensive research for the past couple of weeks regarding essential oils, herbs, chemicals in our products and why their in there.

We can actually make a moisturizer better than Wildgrowth hair oil because you can me it tailored to your own specific hair needs and doesn't have to smell as horrible as wildgrowth oil, additionally, it doesn't have to contain any chemical to enhance self life. That's the only downside to using essential oils, their life and potency last only but soo long. But you can use natural preservatives such as Vitamin E.

Faith

Yeah I'm trying to recreate kemi oyl and WGO (without the smell). Kemi oyl is really good and smells nice. But they don't list the ingredients on it.
Besides lavender oil, could you give me a short list of possible essential oils? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif
The oil I make now is pretty good. It has lanolin, wheatgerm, shea butter, jojoba, etc. But I'm wondering if it could be better, hmmm.

G

I love Hot Six Oil because it is loaded with herbs! Plus vitamins too! And I like the scent.

Here are the ingredients and some other stuff too!

African Royale
Hot Six Oil

8 oz.
Price/Unit:
$0.62/oz.
Price:
$4.99
Quantity:

Six Oils In One With 14 Natural Herbs. This money saving large
size bottle is equal to 16 .5oz hot oil treatments. Hot Six Oil is
made from only all natural plant herbs and oils with absolutely
no animal fat or animal oils. Hot Six Oil's special light formula
goes in hair, skin, scalp, and nail cuticles easily and without a
heavy oil buildup. Hot Six Oil leaves your hair light and well
conditioned.

Instructions
Shampoo hair then towel dry. Place Hot Six Oil in a container
of hot (not boiling) water until hot. Massage Hot Six Oil evenly
into hair and scalp then cover with warm moist towel for 3-5min.
Rinse with warm water then style. To use as a hair, body, or nail
oil-rub Hot Six Oil in hands then massage into hair, skin, or into
cuticles where needed.

Ingredients
Olive Oil , Canola Oil , Wheat Germ , Sweet Almond Oil ,
Safflower Oil , Castor Oil , Sesame Oil , Vitamin E , Vitamin A ,
Vitamin D , Cyclomethicone , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Wheat
Germ , Slippery Elm Bark , BLack Walnut , Chamomile ,
Jaborandi Heavenly Hemp , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Fragrance

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Some more good herbs and oils for hair are: olive oil, shea oil, cocoa butter, kukui nut oil, slippery elm, castor oil, sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, aloe vera, jojoba oil, coconut oil, Sage, Peppermint, Jaborandi, Hazelnut oil, Rosemary, tea tree oil, vitamin e, soybean oil, orange oil, kola nut, papaya, eucalyptus, vegetable glycerin, mink oil, burdock, Comfrey, Nettle, Cherry Bark, St John’s Wort, evening primrose oil, Basil, Avocado oil, Elder Flower, Orange Blossom, Peach, Clove and sesame oil.

I'm trying to make some hair oil, too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I use African Royale Hot 6 Oil as a base and add other stuff to it.

A

AmilLion

First you need a base/carrier oil to make a massage blend as it is called.

Base/Carrier Oils-are used to dilute essential oils for usage in skin care, hair care and many different preparations. Containing vitamins, proteins, and minerals, they are highly effective moisturizers and provide many of the nutrients that the hair/skin needs to keep smooth and supple. You want to find a cold pressed carrier/base oil because it's usually of higher quality than heat or solvent extracted oils.

From my research, I found the that following are the best carriers for HAIR:

Jojoba - closet to sebum oil. It's an excellent moisturizer on the hair shaft, it also cleans, softens and conditions hair and prevent brittleness. Penetrates down to the scalp and hair shaft to loosen and dissolves hardened and built-up sebum. Also exhibits an excellent keratoplastic effect and brings out the hair's natural shine and overtone.

Coconut Oil - It imparts a lovely sheen to hair and extremely moisturizing. It is a natural emollient and miscible to most essential oils and solvents. It has a very long shelf life. It also penetrates very well and of light viscosity.

Shea Butter - imparts soothing properties and provides extra sun protection

Neem Tree Oil - offers moisturizing, regenerative and restructing properties. It can be used for damaged and delicate hair.

*There's many others, but this is what I found the most useful thus far for dry/damaged and relaxed hair:

Peppermint, Nettle (great for ethnic hair), Myrtle, Myrrh, Lavender, Palmarosa, Juniper, *Ylang Ylang, *Yarrow, Sandelwood, Sage, *Rosemary, Rose.

*some of the best essential oils to use.

When using essential oils on the hair what ever the ml of carrier oil you use divide by 2 and that's the number of essential oil you should use. That's about 2.5% dilution.
So lets say you have 20ml of Shea Butter Oil/2 = 10. You want to use 10 drops of essential oils. You can divide that down however you like.
ie:
20 ml Shea Butter Oil (base oil)
5 drops of Rosemary oil
3 drops of Yarrow Oil
2 drops of Lavender Oil

I would mix more of the most beneficial oil that I require for my specific needs and the lesser of a fragrance. Additionally, some oils more compatible with others.

And becareful, the essential oil and the herb itself of the same plant/tree etc can have two different properties. Example Lavender oil can help lets say dandruff and lavender plant can help greasy hair. Once you fully understand plants/herbs/oils and their properties, you can be on your way to making your own shampoos, conditioners and etc as many websites I've found sell base shampoo's and conditioners containing the bare essential required and you add the rest.

NOTE: Vitamin E's a natural Preservative.

I hope this helps. If you need more information...you know where to find me.

[email protected]

Those of you whom e-mailed me earlier this week, I'm just getting all my information together so I can send you neat little package /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith

Thanks so much ladies.
Amillion, the package you're emailing out is it the same as what you posted here? If not can I get it too? I'll email you. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

lol@sunshine, no problem. I'll keep you posted. From this research, I'm no longer a product junkie slave. I now prefer hair products with no chemicals which in turn I must make my own.

daviine

Faith--your oil sounds VERY nourishing. I don't know what could make it better. is it thick becasue it sounds like a heavy oil.

I don't understand your question about the possible essential oils. What are you trying to do?

Faith

Yeah my oil is pretty good and it's fairly heavy. I like my oils heavy when out of braids, cause my hair just drinks it all up. I just wanted to add some essential oils to the mix. I don't have any in there now. I thought the EO would enrich it.

daviine

It depends on what you want. Each essential oil has diferent properties. I don't know--I guess rosemary is standard is standard for haircare but some people don't like the smell.

I tried to find some links with descriptions of essential oils properties but I couldn't. I get my information from my books at home.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help......unless of course you have a specific condition I might be able to look up.

daviine

Oh ---sorry I didn't see all the suggestions before I posted!!!! I don't how I missed those!!!!!!

daviine

So are you a junkie for herbs and oils? That's what happened to me. I stopped buying products becasue I started buying all kinds of herbs and oils to make my own stuff!!!!

JenJen2721

bumping...

Is anyone else having success making their own oil blends? Also, where can I purchase lanolin?

TIA,
Jen