How did u thicken your hair STRANDS???

*C00KIE*

using Megatek as a conditioner once a week for the past 6 months has notably thikened my strands.

Megatek for me made extra hair grow, like hair strands. I mix half megatek w/ half of MTG, and 3 tablespoons of Wheat Germ and a tablespoon of Olive oil and Castor Oil together for a growth aid. What I do notice is that my hair has more hair strands, esp around the edges of my hair...

ETA. I put this mixture on my scalp every other day and re-braid my hair

cornaline

It is also used as a conditioner. I used it on scalp also but for that sped up growth only. What was really effective on hair strand thickening was conditioning my hair with it.

Wildkat08

This question has bothered me over and over again. I created threads in the past and read A LOT of threads on behalf of thickening the hair strand.
What I have came up w/ and what has worked for me is...

1. Ayurveda Regime
2. Haitian Castor Oil
3. B5 supplement (1,500mg-3,000mg daily)
4. B-Complex and Vitamin C (for the absorption of B5)

I have also tried NAC, which is also good; due to it being so expensive I have stop taken it.

NAC? What is this ladies? Also, yes now that it's been mentioned I definitely gained thickness when using OCT has directed on the bottle, as a protein conditioner/treatment. I'd like to start using this again, but plan to try cassia. Anyone use OCT/Megatek and Cassia/Henna regularly? Think it may cause protein overload and/or cause hair to be dry and brittle? And one more thing...for the ladies using henna/cassia and mixing it with oils and other stuff, what are you trying to achieve or prevent by mixing with oils or whatever u mix with? Why not just mix with water? I figure if I know what these mixers do for u ladies I can better decide what to mix my cassia with.

ETA. I am also transitioning back to natural, but with these tips I have notice that my previous relaxed hair has gotten rid of the lifeless/limp look (looks strong and healthy) and my new growth is thicker than the relaxed ends. HTH!

Wildkat08

Sorry ladies and Cookie... The portion in the post above that starts with "NAC?" is my actual post... Not a part of Cookie's post. This is my first time posting with my iPhone and I have no idea why it did that... Looking forward to my computer being fixed... Thanks for your patience... Please still answer my inquiries!! Lol

Aggie

For my hair henna, and lately prayer, have been a God-send in thickening up my strands. I just added pantothenic acid to my regimen yesterday (500mg/day). I will increase this to 1000mg/day in about 4-6 weeks depending on how my body responds to it.

I also texlax my hair now and use virtually no heat on my hair except for deep conditioning under my hooded dryer or hair steamer. I may lightly use a flat iron once to twice a year now for length checks only.

NikStarrr

What about henna over colored hair; can you do that? I know that there can be reaction between the two...

Yes, you can henna over colored hair. You just have to use BAQ (body art quality) henna because it's pure henna and has no other chemicals in it (which is called compound hennas).

sqzbly1908

The use of overnight treatments (i.e. L'oreal Overnight Treatment and Alterna Overnight Treatment) - I use the Alterna on the nights that I will be washing in the morning as this is required. Nexxus and Tigi have some overnight treatments that I will be trying out as well. You just apply to dry hair and there is no residue/mess left on your linens or pillows. I have been using these products for about 4-5 months and I really like the results. The L'oreal has ceramides (just in case anyone was wondering) -

My hair is growing fine but I guess it just needed that extra "umph" as I wear my hair down the majority of the time. I can't say exactly which one has thickened hair but I know they both had a lot to do with it...

sqzbly1908

Bumping Bumping... what is NAC?

I just "Googled" it...

NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) is a modified form of cysteine--a sulfurous amino acid that if taken regularly can aide in hair growth along with other health benefits. NAC is available in supplement form but can be found in foods such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, eggs, fish, garlic, seafood and whole grains. The benefits of NAC are optimized when taken with vitamin C.

NAC is processed through the liver in the body and acts as a powerful antioxidant in several areas of the body. Cysteine supplements are not safe to take for a long period of time because of it's tendency to convert to cystine in the body which can result in kidney and bladder stones. NAC as a modified version is safer to take for longer periods of time continuously and is found to be a more potent form of the amino acid than cysteine by itself.

Read more: Nac & Hair Growth | eHow.com Nac & Hair Growth | eHow.com

Wildkat08

Thanks so much for the info and links sqzbly1908!

I just "Googled" it...

NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) is a modified form of cysteine--a sulfurous amino acid that if taken regularly can aide in hair growth along with other health benefits. NAC is available in supplement form but can be found in foods such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, eggs, fish, garlic, seafood and whole grains. The benefits of NAC are optimized when taken with vitamin C.

NAC is processed through the liver in the body and acts as a powerful antioxidant in several areas of the body. Cysteine supplements are not safe to take for a long period of time because of it's tendency to convert to cystine in the body which can result in kidney and bladder stones. NAC as a modified version is safer to take for longer periods of time continuously and is found to be a more potent form of the amino acid than cysteine by itself.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Henna thickened my hair from the very first treatment and it just gets better over time. Castor oil also thickens but IMO its temporary. The effect went away once I stopped using it.

blackberry815

What are the rules for using henna? Can u do it before u relax your hair or after you relax? And where do you. Buy henna how much does it cost?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
What are the rules for using henna? Can u do it before u relax your hair or after you relax? And where do you. Buy henna how much does it cost?
I too would like to know this. I have seen a lot of threads pop up about henna but I never engaged in them because I was afraid I'd jack up my hair, kinda like you can when placing color in the hair. Now that I'm becoming comfy with my hair and techniques, I would like to know more about henna, the pros/cons and anything in between. I remember reading that it can be drying but that's also true for sulfur products.

HOW SHOULD THE JBCO BE APPLIED TO THE HAIR? AND HOW OFTEN?
I apply it several x's a week by using a color applicator bottle. I just apply light squirts throughout my entire head and massage it in. I apply a little extra on my edges which needs the most TLC.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Get yall some type of fish oil. I am now taking cod liver oil and the roots of my locs look so thick. They started to thicken up when I was taking fish oil. I switched to cod liver oil because I read that it had more omega 3 in it. I hope that my acual loc starts to thicken up soon. I want my locs thick..

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
As mentioned previously, I read that Joico kpak thickens the strands. Not sure if the thickening is permanent or temporary (meaning, the thickness goes away if the product is not continually used).

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ng-some-substitions-joico-17-min-miracle.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...discussion/374303-joico-users-my-first-2.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...vers-how-do-you-use-achieve-thicker-hair.html

Joico has body luxe poo and condish as well. I have used it 2 weeks in a row and I think its working,,,,