Going from no edges to full edges + hair under weave care

MsLizziA

Hi ladies! I have seen pictures of ladies on here growing out their edges from nothing. These pics are of my mom's edges and she is trying to grow her hair out. She's going to texlax but she asked my advice and i told her after i looked at her hair that she should not even worry about a chemical process right now.

Anyway, i have been having her put JBCO on her edges every night since i got here (2 weeks now) but i would like to know what else she could do in addition to that.

If you ladies have any pictures of going from no edges to full edges please pot them up along with a full explanation of what you did to achieve it.

Also, she is going to wear weaves for the time being. If you ladies have regimens for hair under weaves please share. The hair she buys lasts her like 2 months but its synthetic. She wants it to last awhile so washing often won't really be an option.

Appreciate your help and advice in advance!!

*****UPDATE******

I had to remove the pics cuz of the mess on LSA

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i dont think weaves are good for someone with really thin edges like your moms:nono: i think i wig would be better

MsLizziA

i dont think weaves are good for someone with really thin edges like your moms:nono: i think i wig would be better

Yea i said she doesn't like wigs. I have been trying to get her to get the half wigs, she doesnt want them. I even told her i would make her 1. So im just going to have to work around it

nzeee

hi MsLizziA, the severe thinning is likely caused by her weaves + lack of moisture. was she using gluing method for weaves? was she using lace wigs? it is a lot of damage :sad:

this is the point where she will have to choose whether she wants to get her edges back or if she wants to wear weaves.

it really is that serious! i will leave it to others to suggest weave techniques that might be less damaging (like using a net to decrease tension, not braiding tight etc) but she has a lot of damage beyond just the edges.

i'm sorry she's facing this right now. but i think she has to try something new since what she's been doing lead her down this road.

idea: how about showing her pics of people looking hot in their wigs? maybe start another thread asking for people showing themselves looking radiant in non-adhesive wigs and she may change her mind.

(edited to remove diagnosis -- i'd said traction alopecia but i'm no derm)

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Yea i said she doesn't like wigs. I have been trying to get her to get the half wigs, she doesnt want them. I even told her i would make her 1. So im just going to have to work around it

i dont know if you have posted about your moms hair before but the original post didnt say anything about wigs:perplexed

i dont know why she would prefer a weave because there isnt any hair to attach the tracks onto for a good 3-4 inches. i dont see how a weave could be feasable unless it was being glued and that wouldnt help growth at all..a weave is just like a wig except its sewn on and looks a little more natural:perplexed

halfwig isnt the way to go either because there isnt any hair to cover the halfwig

i say go on youtube and show her how fly a full wig can be and she might change her mind.:yep:

NYDee

My friend is going through the same thing. I can't convince her to get a wig so I'm looking for salons that care about healthy hair for her right now.

Your Cheeziness

I think she should start by visiting a dermatologist and then by finding a stylist who specializes in this kind of care. I think the damage done is past what we can diagnose. I vote a net weave and not a half wig because there is nothing to blend with the half wig.

Your Cheeziness

You may want to edit your OP because you didn't mention wigs not being a choice. I think most people will end up suggesting that.

MsLizziA

hi MsLizziA, the severe thinning is likely caused by her weaves + lack of moisture. was she using gluing method for weaves? was she using lace wigs? it is a lot of damage :sad:

this is the point where she will have to choose whether she wants to get her edges back or if she wants to wear weaves.

it really is that serious! i will leave it to others to suggest weave techniques that might be less damaging (like using a net to decrease tension, not braiding tight etc) but she has a lot of damage beyond just the edges.

i'm sorry she's facing this right now. but i think she has to try something new since what she's been doing lead her down this road.

idea: how about showing her pics of people looking hot in their wigs? maybe start another thread asking for people showing themselves looking radiant in non-adhesive wigs and she may change her mind.

(edited to remove diagnosis -- i'd said traction alopecia but i'm no derm)

nzeee trust me i did come on here and show her. she saw some wigs that she lides but she still was skeptical about them because she said her mother used to wear wigs and she hated the look of them

Napp no i have never posted about her hair before and she doesn't like wigs but i have shown her some wigs. She liked them but like i said, she doesnt like the idea of them cuz she hated the way they looked on her mother

MsLizziA

I think she should start by visiting a dermatologist and then by finding a stylist who specializes in this kind of care. I think the damage done is past what we can diagnose. I vote a net weave and not a half wig because there is nothing to blend with the half wig.

Your Cheeziness how do the net wigs look? I honestly never heard of them

Roux

How did her hair get like that? Braids? Weaves? Honestly, even if she doesn't like them, she needs to either get a wig with no combs or tension or figure out a way to wear her hair out. Putting chemicals or tension on her hair right now is asking for more problems.

NicWhite

OP. I suggest that you get some peppermint, lavendar, basil essential oils. Mix 4 drops of each to 1-2 ounces of castor oil and continue to massage the oil in her scalp.

I would also suggest that she start taking a good multivitamin and start drink plenty of water. Also she should eat more fruits and vegetables. This will help to nourish the scalp internally.

I am sorry that she is insisting on wearing weaves. It sounds like you may be fighting a losing battle.

abcd09

I hope that she can grow something because honestly it looks like there is permanent hair loss and it will continue to ride up her hairline with more weaves and chemicals or even tight pulling/tension.

I would suggest a derm so they can give her shots and prescribe a full strength cream.

LynnieB

Hate to say this but you may have to just plop mama's butt in the car and say you all are going to the mall and on the way, stop at a store like this http://www.wigoutlet.com/. Luckily we have one a few miles away but I'm sure there are others like it.

I'm sure my mother is older than yours and the time had come for the daughter to step up with some common sense so you may have to start taking a little control now.

I knew if I was unsuccessful with getting her to dump that dang, crazy relaxing that VERY THIN hair of hers coupled with a pixie cut, that idea up there ^^ was going to be my plan of action. My mom was delusional!

Jesus was gonna take the wheel on that one and mom was going along for the ride, hook or by crook.

Seriously. Real talk there.

YOU may need to do the same (if she doesnt' kill you in the process)

Edit to fix typos

Last edited:

MsLizziA

How did her hair get like that? Braids? Weaves? Honestly, even if she doesn't like them, she needs to either get a wig with no combs or tension or figure out a way to wear her hair out. Putting chemicals or tension on her hair right now is asking for more problems.

Roux yea i told her that! I saw her edges and was like you aare soooo not ready for a chemical process...

foxee

@Napp no i have never posted about her hair before and she doesn't like wigs but i have shown her some wigs. She liked them but like i said, she doesnt like the idea of them cuz she hated the way they looked on her mother

Wigs are so much nicer than they were years ago. Take her to a wig shop with an area that allows customers to try them on. I bet she'll find a style she really likes.

Vintageglam

OP you mum looks to have scarring at her edges - might be a good idea to go and see a Dermatologist or Trichologist.

LilMissRed

I totally agree w/a trip to a dermatologists STAT! and an afternoon visit to a local wig shop where she can sit/take her time/try on some new hair.. as foxee mentioned... wigs are not what they used to be.. she can really find one that she loves

Good Luck!

locabouthair

Scarring???????

What your mom seems to have is traction alopecia which is hair loss caused by the tension of braids, weaves, tight styles, etc. If the tension goes on for too long scarring occurs at the follicles and they start producing very little hair if any at all. Hopefully a derm or trich can determine if the follicles are "alive". A derm may be better because trich don't accept insurance since they are considered cosmetic.

Does she have any illness or is taking any meds that may cause the hair loss? Hair loss at the edges is usually due to tension but it could be other factors as well.

SimplyBlessed

I know u love ur momma but u got to tell her now is not the time to be picky...weaves are a no no and chemicals r a no no

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

ms.tatiana

I have been using JBCO and Dr. Miracles Nape and Blam for my edges and they have been growing in slowly but they have been filling in. I wear weaves but nothing that pulls my edges because I find that in you keep them oiled they don't fall out as much as when they are dry.

BlaqBella

These aren't the best pics and the recovery has been really slow at times. But it's progress. She should try adding essential oils to the castor oil. I've used MTG, rosemary, eucalyptus, and some others. Maybe she should try peppermint or something. And keep the hair moisturized and strengthened (through conditioning and moisture-izing).
Photo_00004.jpg

Photo_00005.jpg

ETA: Ms. Tatiana was reading my mind.lol

And keep the hair moisturized and strengthened (through conditioning and moisture-izing).

Last edited:

CurliDiva

I would recommend a full wig while in public, but then remove when at home to treat the hair and scalp.

No fact, nothing that will stress her hair or hairline more - like the added weight of a weave, braids or twists.

Keep the scalp clean, deep condition the hair strands and do scalp massages daily with a light oil.

Good luck

coyacoy

Hi....how does your mom usually style her weaves? i ask because maybe you could find a comparable wig and just purchase it for her. take it to her house one day (unbeknowst to her) and whip it out. have fun with it and get her to try it on. if she is going off of what her mom's wig used to look like then she prol doesn't know the fantastic and varying looks of wigs nowadays. i know mom's can be just that - moms! :spinning: and it can be hard to convince them. there is a thread called "i'm a survivor" here on the forum where many traction alopecia (and other hairloss causes) sufferers post their experiences and what they have used (present company included!:grin:)......maybe you and your mom could peruse that thread for some additional ideas and inspiration. my mom is thinning on the top from years of chemical coloring; and i had thinning from years of weaves. i started using sulfur and joined the sulfur challenge and had great success while LF wigging it over a protective style.....i knew,though, that just telling my mom about the sulfur would never convince her, so one day when she was at my house i pulled out my progress pics and waited for her to ask me what i was doing.....that opened the door to her trying the sulfur mix......sometimes you gotta be a little calculated with dear mom - especially when you know they are hard-headed! :yep: good luck!!

p.s. - here are a couple of progress pics from my journey to fill in the bald....the first one is from and Jan and the second in March....the third is from this month...i used homemade sulfur mix and washed and DC'd weekly from Jan 2011 to present....moisturizing daily is essential - first with a leave in condish followed by a moisturizer (i use qhemet AHC) and seal ends with oil (usually JBCO). HTH

Hi ladies! I have seen pictures of ladies on here growing out their edges from nothing. These pics are of my mom's edges and she is trying to grow her hair out. She's going to texlax but she asked my advice and i told her after i looked at her hair that she should not even worry about a chemical process right now.

Anyway, i have been having her put JBCO on her edges every night since i got here (2 weeks now) but i would like to know what else she could do in addition to that.

If you ladies have any pictures of going from no edges to full edges please pot them up along with a full explanation of what you did to achieve it.

Also, she is going to wear weaves for the time being. If you ladies have regimens for hair under weaves please share. The hair she buys lasts her like 2 months but its synthetic. She wants it to last awhile so washing often won't really be an option.

Appreciate your help and advice in advance!!

Attachments

• Hair-thinningfront-Jan2011.jpg
    Hair-thinningfront-Jan2011.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

appplecidder

I have not read the whole post but although she doesn not like wigs how about making her a quick weave wig. It gives her the allusion of a weave and can come on and off as she pleases while taking care of her hair under the unit.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Whimsy

You've gotten great advice so far. I truly hope you can convince your mom to go for a wig. I feel like a weave will do more damage. Good luck!

swgpec

Lizza the attached pic is not exactly full edges but my edges are so much better than when I started my hhj in Aug. I use a number of methods that I learned from this board. My thinning edges are due to genetics and traction alopecia. The traction alopecia occurred about 20 maybe even 30 years ago when I was a young woman. It has taken a long time but the hair is growing back, so I believe that your Mom's thinning edges can recover. I say this because my edges near my temples were as smooth as a baby's bottom and the hair is growing in slowly ( and gray) but it's growing. I use emu oil and recently I started taking pumpkin see oil (I believe I saw this on Lita's post ) vitamins. I also use regular/jamacian black castor oil and I rub vitamin E in the thinning areas.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 56