Ladies that have overcome thinning edges, what WORKED??

Blu217

Yep--I've seen a few doctors and derms. I haven't found one who knew more about the issue and treatments than I did, thanks to the Internet.

Some people have suggested Rogaine, but I refuse! No way am I interested in a product that I can't stop using ever, and that could potentially exacerbate the very problem it's meant to treat.

I'd certainly suggest you see your derm, tho--I'd call around to find one who might have some experience with hair loss and issues of the scalp. I'm always hoping to find someone who knows of some new or radical approach I haven't heard of, but no luck yet. I'd be interested to know what advice and treatments you receive.

Ooo--there is one thing I haven't tried yet: Cortisone injections.

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

I just made an appointment with a black dermatologist. The receptionist was a little throw off when I asked what race the doctor was!!! LOL!!:lol: I figured she just may be able to relate a little better if it is a hair thing rather than a hereditary one.

PrincessScorpion

Lovelylocs said:
I just mixed like 3 or 4 cloves of crush garlic with some olive oil, Warmed it up in the microwave, applied it to my scalp, and then to the length of my hair, then I put a plastic bag over it and a warm towel. I let it sit for 30-60min. Then, rinsed and shampooed. Then, conditioner. etc.

Thanks, but I have another ? is the towel inside or outside of the plastic bag?

lveurslf

My nape area used to be like that but when I started strecthing my relaxers and sometimes I'll use MTG. the difference is obvious. :)

mahogany66

When I was natural I my hair was pulled back alot and as a result my edges came out . I started to use ORS for thinning edges it worked. When I started to relax again I made sure that my stylist relaxed my edges last also I ONLY relax my edges after every 2 or 3 relaxers.

Ms_Twana

Mahogany66 and lveurslf, so is your hair completely grown in now, or is it still kind of thin in those areas?? Does anyone in your family have the same problem?? Iveurslf what do you think caused your thinning??

I'm just worried that I have no chance in my hair coming back in if it's hereditary.

Also, I wonder if wrapping with a scarf would be the cause as well? I mean, even with a satin scarf. Think about it, if you wrap your hair every night (like I did), your hair is bound to get a little frustrated from the constant movement on it. No matter what the material is. And I just gave my mom a satin scarf the other day. She'd been using cotton scarves all her life. What do you think of that theory??​

Mom23

I recommend Nioxin Follicle Booster. When I had Post-Partum shedding that thinned my edges I used this and saw a difference in about a month. I used it faithfully twice a day, and now you can't even tell that area was thin. You can purchase it at Trade Secret or Walmart Salons. I also used the profective anti-thinning and it along with the Nioxin helped me a great deal.:)

ChocoKitty

Mom23 said:
I recommend Nioxin Follicle Booster. When I had Post-Partum shedding that thinned my edges I used this and saw a difference in about a month. I used it faithfully twice a day, and now you can't even tell that area was thin. You can purchase it at Trade Secret or Walmart Salons. I also used the profective anti-thinning and it along with the Nioxin helped me a great deal.:)

:yep: This stuff works too!

Tee

I have some surge here so I started using it about 3 days ago on my edges. I will have to come back and report to see if I see a difference in a couple of weeks.

tuffCOOKiE

All the advice given was the TRUTH. When I first found the board, my hair was in decent shape but I had a (basically) bald spot on my left temple. The things I did:

-Streched my relaxer. I told the stylist to put it on my edges last and it was OK if they came out under processed.
-SURGED! Wow, I forgot about the surge. I stopped using it after I got my growth back.
-Massage w WGO & Sulfur 8.

And here I am. I can't tell you how long it took but don't watch it. Remember, a watched pot never boils. I used this philosophy for my edges.

Mom23

Ms_Twana said:
Thanks Mom. How much does the Nioxin cost??

It is 20.00 for a small bottle, but you only use a little twice a day so it should last you a little while.:)

Radianthealth

I have a similar problem, I started a challenge a few months back. I have been using the ORS Serum on my edges and stretching my relaxer (12 weeks). I am pretty sure my thin hairline came from microbraids & the stylist leaving relaxers in that area for too long. If I were you I would definitely AVOID BRAIDS!!!

I make sure that I cleanse the scalp/temple area often. The ORS Serum seems to be working but it is nothing drastic, it is slow and steady. I use their scalp cleanser as well (the one you add baking soda to). When I tie my satin scarf at night, I tie it loosely and try not to have anything pressed up on my temple, I wear it lower on my forehead but not so low that the hair products will affect my skin.

I wear a low ponytail which I never pull tightly. When you pull your wet hair into a ponytail to dry it is stretched, when it dries the hair shrinks back up causing the ponytail to be even tighter. I always always always do very loose ponytails on wet or dry hair.

I believe that is all I can add

PrincessScorpion

trimbride said:
I have a similar problem, I started a challenge a few months back. I have been using the ORS Serum on my edges and stretching my relaxer (12 weeks). I am pretty sure my thin hairline came from microbraids & the stylist leaving relaxers in that area for too long. If I were you I would definitely AVOID BRAIDS!!!

I make sure that I cleanse the scalp/temple area often. The ORS Serum seems to be working but it is nothing drastic, it is slow and steady. I use their scalp cleanser as well (the one you add baking soda to). When I tie my satin scarf at night, I tie it loosely and try not to have anything pressed up on my temple, I wear it lower on my forehead but not so low that the hair products will affect my skin.

I wear a low ponytail which I never pull tightly. When you pull your wet hair into a ponytail to dry it is stretched, when it dries the hair shrinks back up causing the ponytail to be even tighter. I always always always do very loose ponytails on wet or dry hair.

I believe that is all I can add

I was told with braids it happens when they are left in to long because that knot at the end starts to pull.

Ms_Twana

B_Phlyy said:
ORS Temple Balm is working wonders for me now.

Tell me a little bit about the Temple Balm. How long have you been using it?? What are your results so far. Are you doing anything else??

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Ms_Twana said:
Tell me a little bit about the Temple Balm. How long have you been using it?? What are your results so far. Are you doing anything else??

I've been using it for about 3 weeks. I follow the directions on the jar, applying twice a day and then brushing through. I use the Temple Balm with the rest of the ORS line (uplifting poo, oo replenishing pak, and carrot oil).

I don't have pictures, but before I started this little program, I had a bald spot behind my right ear. Now, the hair has grown back and even though it's still kind of thin, you can't see the spot anymore.

Ms_Twana

Update:

I bought Nioxin follicle booster. I haven't used it consistently yet. I've been using it for almost two months maybe. It looks as if my spots are filling in a little bit. Not much difference, but I haven't been consistent either.

What about everyone else???

PinkPebbles

Hi!:wave:

Thin edges is also heriditary for me. My goal is to fill in my hair line. I recently bought Nioxin follicle booster, and Sta-Sof-Fro (hair&scalp spray) as a a daily moisturizer.

I'm going to give myself until the end of year and post my response about the products.

My co-worker informed me about Sta-Sof-Fro moisturizer and it worked for her!!!

deltagyrl

Due to PP shedding my edges thinned. I noticed that they weren't as thin as my last pregnancy b/c I was taking Biotin. I decided to use MTG this time and the results were pretty amazing. They filled back in pretty quickly.

Proudpiscean

delta_gyrl said:
Due to PP shedding my edges thinned. I noticed that they weren't as thin as my last pregnancy b/c I was taking Biotin. I decided to use MTG this time and the results were pretty amazing. They filled back in pretty quickly.

Yep, MTG is the TRUTH....it brought my edges back in less than 2 months. As a matter a fact I had to slow down using it, I was starting to look like a chia pet :lol:

longhairluva

I called my dermatologist and she recommended I try rogain for men. I've been using that and I put a creamy leav-in and my own mtg mix with it and my edges are growing back nicely.

carmella25

My thinning was do to braids and over relaxing. What helped me was just keeping my hair moisturized and letting my hair rest from extensions more often. I only relax 2 times a year now. And these 2 mixed together have helped me with my growth as well it dr miracles super relief braid spray and 024 heres the links for 024 http://http://www.024zone.com/o24_1oz.html
http://o24store.com/ 024 is usually used for pain but its great for hair growth. Its pretty intense. I like to really feel it so I 'lll pour the whole bottle into the dr miracles spray bottle. If you dont want it that intense you can use less

HERicane10

carmella25 said:
My thinning was do to braids and over relaxing. What helped me was just keeping my hair moisturized and letting my hair rest from extensions more often. I only relax 2 times a year now. And these 2 mixed together have helped me with my growth as well it dr miracles super relief braid spray and 024 heres the links for 024 http://http://www.024zone.com/o24_1oz.html
http://o24store.com/ 024 is usually used for pain but its great for hair growth. Its pretty intense. I like to really feel it so I 'lll pour the whole bottle into the dr miracles spray bottle. If you dont want it that intense you can use less

that o24 seems really interesting from the video and ingredients. how often do you use it? when did you notice increased griwth from it?

Ms_Twana

longhairluva said:
I called my dermatologist and she recommended I try rogain for men. I've been using that and I put a creamy leav-in and my own mtg mix with it and my edges are growing back nicely.

Don't you have to keep using that forever, once you start???