Marriage and the blood covenant

missyT

I have been reading several books on the topic of marriage and sex. Many of the books talk about virginity and link it with the idea of the blood covenant.

There are various examples where covenants are sealed with blood in the Bible. For instance, the covenant that God made with the Isrealites in Exodus 24, just before Moses was given the 10 commandments on mount Sinai.
" And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words"
This covenant, I believe, is refered to as the 'Siniatic covenant'.

Then there is the new covenant, which was sealed by the blood of Jesus when he was crucified on the cross. In this covenant, God has made an agreement with us that if we believe in him and confess him as a lord and saviour, we will have everlasting life(John 3:16) Of course there is more to the covenant than this, but I just highlighed this for demonstrative purposes.

Now, moving onto the idea of virginity and marriage. When a virgin sleeps with her husband, her hymen supposedly tears and her blood is spilt over her husband, thus sealing their covenant of marriage. The presence of the blood is believed to strengthen the covenant between the husband and wife.

My question is this, what happens if a women, for whatever reason, does not have a hymen and there is no blood? :think:

Last edited:

beyondcute

Um I think its just symbolic. If you were not born with one (which some people are not) or had yours ripped (thru vigorous sports, an accident, etc) I dont think that it would mean anything if you didnt bleed. God knows whether there's blood or no blood.

gn1g

I agree with beyond cute. Bishop Jakes preached on this several years ago at woman thou art loosed in New Orleans.

He was just encouraging women to hold on to there virginity until marriage.