2 INCHES IN 4 MONTHS (end of the year) CHALLENGE

AwesomelyNappy

i forgot to post on the 1st. i took pics and will post tomorrow with my regimen.

Yesterday i washed, oil rinsed and conditioned my hair. Today i just took my vits, drank my green smoothie, and did a moist bun. Last night i slept with my bun baggied in a little sandwich bag with a little conditioner and oil. i dont think i'll do it tonight though.

Radianthealth

Deep conditioning with some Aveda damage remedy

I feel like my hair is already looking healthier.

I am easily sticking with my vitamins and weekly DCs and protective style of bun with twisted bangs.

I feel really good and my hair looks great!

Softerlove

I'm in....yeah...I took pics Sept 1, then almost chickened out:look:

What's your regimen?

-Wash 1x week w/ Joico
-DC 1 a week-9 days with AO garlic conditioner or Kenra MC (Going to go buy now)
-Light protein once every two weeks (Still searching)
-aPHogee 2 min re constructor every 8 weeks or @ week before relaxer
-Roux porosity control corrector before DC for 30 sec (may mix with a little conditioner)

What Products are you using?

Kenra MC,Joico Shampoo and Conditioner, Roux porosity control, Jose Maran pure argan oil to seal, Qhemet alma and olive moisturizer. Darcys coconut and lemongrass transitioning creme as leave in. Whipped ends hydration and vatika frosting (until it gets too cold) to moisturize and seal. JBCO on weak patches before wash. All products alternated,some of these are new.

What will you especially do for achieving this goal?

Drink more water, continue Nioxin 1x week, Protective styling 90% of the time. Now cross
wrapping, my ends like this.

Sorry for the craptastic photos,but my phone and mirror kinda sux.

Last edited:

Seamonster

Here is what I am doing to retain hair, and just be healthier.

Drinking lots of water,
Protein drink
Eating sea vegetables, and nuts
Going to start working out today yoga
Going to start wearing twist buns, doing my first one today
Weekly DC, Monthly Protein, oil rinses, daily scalp massage with oil, acv rinses, M&S
weekly search and destroy for SSK, monthly dusting to even out the layers

coyacoy

so i am a little late following up with my starting pics....but better late than never :yep:

What's your regimen?
shampoo and DC weekly alternating between heat dryer and steamer - also alternating w/protein and w/o
cowash as needed
henna or cassia monthly
PS in twists under LF M-F
wear hair out on weekend
What Products are you using?
Shampoo w/homemade concoction or Carol's Daughter black vanilla, Qhemet egyptian wheatgrass to clarify
Bear Fruit conditioners (bannana avocado, pistachio cream, green tea avocado)
Leave in - Qhement AOHC and BF desert castor oil leave in
Aussie moist or Kenra MC (when i'm feeling fancy :drunk:) to cowash
Seal with JBCO or Qhemet amla oil pomade
What will you especially do for achieving this goal?
Step up my vitamin intake - MSM, biosil and flaxseed
Trying to stretch hair more to prevent tangles and ssks which has been hindering my retention a lil bit - i.e. rollersetting on the weekend when wearing hair out instead of doing twist outs
oil rinsing

sorry, not the best quality pics - taken w/a crappy camera - there are better - but older - photos in my album

HHG!!

count me in! will hold off posting starting pics until sept 1. just what i need - a little motivation......(go, go, go, go.....motivation)

Attachments

• 0910111911a[7].jpg
    0910111911a[7].jpg
    72 KB · Views: 38
  • mms_picture[1].jpg
    mms_picture[1].jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

I-sing

i cant post or join but i am participating behind the scenes. i spent years without chemicals wearing wigs and weaves. then i have developed a thyroid disorder now my hair keeps falling out in patches. i dont know what to do. i am going to find a hair vitamin and see what happens.

TeeSGee

Checking In: I've been sticking to my regimen.. I started using grapeseed oil to seal and my hair is in love with this oil.. this is definitely a staple product now..I've been doing messy updo's for work and the occasional bun and haven't used any direct heat since the the month began.

frizzy

Checking in!

I had a low maint. weekend, I haven't combed my hair at all. I plan to oil my scalp tonite and wash later in the week.

I'm 11 weeks post relaxer, and since it will be getting cold soon, I'm thinking about adopting a every other week wash and DC routine. I washed it 4 days ago, I'm gonna see if I can go until next weekend.

ScorpioBeauty09

Checking in...

Hairfinity's already giving me growth!:grin: On my last wash day after my hair was flatironed my mom and sisters said my hair was noticeably longer.:yep: I can't wait to wash my hair this week! I've been sticking to my regimen, especially to maintaining my pH balance. My breakage is almost nonexistent yaaaay!! I wish I had the measurement shirt I ordered so I could track my growth easier.:nono: It should be here soon though.

greenandchic

Checking In:

Did a henna treatment last Thursday, DC Friday morning and have been wearing it in semi protective styles and hats due to the heat.

I do have fears that I've reached my "terminal length" somehow. I sure hope not...

faithVA

Trying to get on a Sunday routine and tweak my regimen:
Gave myself a scalp massage/oil treatment
Washed with Terresential mud wash
Hennaed (medium brown/red mix)
Leave-in under heat cap 20 minutes for penetration
Shea butter mix
Twisted with Joie Naturals gel

Will keep twists in for 5 days and twists out over the weekend and start all over again.

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
I would like to join this challenge. I currently have my hair in box braids however I took out a couple of braids and it looks like I'm 2.5" away from APL. I'm hoping to make APL by the end of this year.

My reggie needs work, or rather I need to stick to it. I'm ashamed to admit I don't sleep with a scarf or bonnet at night. I haven't taken any of my vitamins since March and I just started moisturizing my hair like I'm suppose to this month. I'm just so lazy

nisemac

checking in....had to travel this week and am proud to say i made it all week without having to redo my cornrows! i think the cooler weather helped a bit--i literally sweat the sides and back loose!

i made two changes in my routine. (1) before taking out my cornrows, I saturate my hair with coconut oil. its mess, but they come out easily and i've noticed only normal shedding versus any broken pieces from manipulation. it also serves as a pre-poo treatment. (2) instead of leave-in, then sealing with coconut oil, i'm doing leave in-->oil-->aloe vera to seal. noticed a very big difference in my hair. it was very soft and moisturized. it also defined my curls really nice. i think this really helped with keeping in the moisure.

then i effed up :( normally, after washing, i do several large plaits and let my hair dry. then i do my cornrows. this time, i let my hair dry, as if I was doing a wng. then i slept on my hair (covered). it was a matted mess! never had that happen before, but i woke up with tangles and knots. of course, i don't think i ever did that in the past, plus, my hair was always much shorter so tangling was never an issue.

this week, i will try to go all week without redoing them, but I'm not sure, as I did them a bit larger than normal. this weekend, i'll do my monthly protein treatment, which currently consist of adding an egg, olive oil, and vitamin E oil to my DC.

i took advantage of the Walgreen's Shea Moisture sale to stock up and I have some other goodies that I ordered from Sally's.

if I can meet the challenge goal, i should be at a point where i can wear twistouts that look really nice. I'm looking forward to the wigs i ordered--i'm hoping forgo the half wigs...just haven't found one i feel totally comfortable in. :(

faithVA

[USER=325927 said:
nisemac[/USER];14220277] (2) instead of leave-in, then sealing with coconut oil, i'm doing leave in-->oil-->aloe vera to seal. noticed a very big difference in my hair. it was very soft and moisturized. it also defined my curls really nice. i think this really helped with keeping in the moisure.

Can you share more on the leave-in, oil, aloe vera? What leave in are you using? Did you use AVG or AVJ?

Why did you decide to try this?

After you applied it, you did a WNG or did you put it up?

You've got me curious :lol:

nisemac

Can you share more on the leave-in, oil, aloe vera?

pretty simple process. after washing and DC, i emulsify a dime size amount of leave-in and work it thru very wet hair, adding more as needed. i make sure its coated evenly but not too heavy, and then come thru. its the last time a comb touches my hair (except to part for cornrows) after detangling. i then do the same with the coconut oil--melt in hands, emulsify and apply in sections, smoothing with fingers. then, depending on how wet my hair is, i let it dry till damp, then part with fingers and do some fat braids using the AVG. then i let dry. once dry, i untwist to do cornrows, using a small amount of oil as i braid.

What leave in are you using? Did you use AVG or AVJ?

i have a few favorites--Giovanni Direct Leave In, Kinky Curly Knot Today, and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask. but i've found any conditioner i can leave in my hair works well. given my make-do environment, i've been using L'oreal Intensive Repair conditioner and their DC treatment. i use the conditioner when i detangle and as a leave in. seems i'm learning it may be more about how you use a product versus what product you use.

i ran out of Eco styler gel--use it for my edges and decided to use AVG. i got good results with it, using it to smooth any flyaways and to keep my cornrows neat. also, while reading the bottle, it said 'seals in moisture' so i figured why not? i did it last week, cornrowed my hair and, when i needed to redo one, I noticed my hair felt significantly softer and moisturized (not greasy). i should add, i'm always on the lookout for the 'kitchen' alternative...what products in my kitchen can i use to take care of my hair. again, its hard for me to get the products i like, so i've been developing my own backup plan. AVG fits perfectly into the plan.

initially wng. but my normal process is to do a few braids to air dry and then cornrow. i could see doing this for wngs and for twists/ twist outs.

this weekend, when i redo my hair, i'll try to take some pics showing wng, twist/twist-braid out and my cornrows and edges.

Mom23

Checking in:

I washed and deep conditioned my hair, and I have been very consistent with my vitamins and water. My hair has been moisturized and seems healthier with the extra conditioning. I just wish I would never find SSK's!

NitaChantell

I made a few changes to my reggie:

I'll shampoo once a month [or when needed].
My hair will be in twists, braids or cornrows 99% of the time.
I'll keep the PS in for 3-4 weeks at a time.

When I first put in the PS I'll:
Clarify with Suave Naturals
DC with Shea Moisture Mask or whatever DC I have handy
Detangle with Kinky Curly Not Today
Seal with my leave in & oil mix

Every few days or so when my hair seems dry I'll:
Co wash with Suave Humectant or Mane & Tail
OR wet with my leave in
Seal with my shea butter mix

Today I co-washed with Aphogee 2 Min. I have an interview to go to so for now I'll just spray my leave in[heavily] and seal with a light oil. When I get home I'll take each twist out one at a time, moisturize, and braid it.

I can't remember when I put these in [I never can lol], but I'll leave the braids in until they get too frizzy. I usually wear wigs or pin my twists up.

Seamonster

Woot Woot, I have beeb doing everything I can to get those 2 inches.

Just recently started taking chorella because I heard it helps to grow healthy hair. When I look at my individual hairs, I can find SSK's, cracks, and splits. Since I have reformed my regiment by adding oil rinses, hot oil treatments, deep conditioners, weekly protein, and sealing with grease. Trimming monthly.

This intensive routine is starting to show result. I use to have many SSK's on the same strand, now I am just finding them on the ends. Most of my shed hairs are sliding off in the shower that is reducing tangles. I am cutting off the knots that don't come out, so we will see how much hair I am able to retain.

Charla

Checking in...

Hairfinity's already giving me growth!:grin: On my last wash day after my hair was flatironed my mom and sisters said my hair was noticeably longer.:yep: I can't wait to wash my hair this week! I've been sticking to my regimen, especially to maintaining my pH balance. My breakage is almost nonexistent yaaaay!! I wish I had the measurement shirt I ordered so I could track my growth easier.:nono: It should be here soon though.

ScorpioBeauty09

I just so happen to make a length check shirt today! It'll be a while before I can use it, but nonetheless, it's inspirational!:grin:

The numbers represent how many inches my hair is from the top of my ears like in my "early" starting pic for this challenge taken 8/15/11.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 8.15.11 1st blow dry.jpg
    8.15.11 1st blow dry.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 20

Charla

Can you share more on the leave-in, oil, aloe vera?

pretty simple process. after washing and DC, i emulsify a dime size amount of leave-in and work it thru very wet hair, adding more as needed. i make sure its coated evenly but not too heavy, and then come thru. its the last time a comb touches my hair (except to part for cornrows) after detangling. i then do the same with the coconut oil--melt in hands, emulsify and apply in sections, smoothing with fingers. then, depending on how wet my hair is, i let it dry till damp, then part with fingers and do some fat braids using the AVG. then i let dry. once dry, i untwist to do cornrows, using a small amount of oil as i braid.

What leave in are you using? Did you use AVG or AVJ?

i have a few favorites--Giovanni Direct Leave In, Kinky Curly Knot Today, and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask. but i've found any conditioner i can leave in my hair works well. given my make-do environment, i've been using L'oreal Intensive Repair conditioner and their DC treatment. i use the conditioner when i detangle and as a leave in. seems i'm learning it may be more about how you use a product versus what product you use.

i ran out of Eco styler gel--use it for my edges and decided to use AVG. i got good results with it, using it to smooth any flyaways and to keep my cornrows neat. also, while reading the bottle, it said 'seals in moisture' so i figured why not? i did it last week, cornrowed my hair and, when i needed to redo one, I noticed my hair felt significantly softer and moisturized (not greasy). i should add, i'm always on the lookout for the 'kitchen' alternative...what products in my kitchen can i use to take care of my hair. again, its hard for me to get the products i like, so i've been developing my own backup plan. AVG fits perfectly into the plan.

initially wng. but my normal process is to do a few braids to air dry and then cornrow. i could see doing this for wngs and for twists/ twist outs.

this weekend, when i redo my hair, i'll try to take some pics showing wng, twist/twist-braid out and my cornrows and edges.

nisemac Thanks for the "interview" ala faithVA :lol:

This sounds like it may be another experiement I try on my hair as I try to achieve soft and non-greasy hair like in this thread I started. If my other experiements fail, I'll go this route and see what happens. Thanks for sharing!

Saga

The Generous Queen
Thanks @nisemac. After reading it, I had to laugh because I asked you questions like it was a tv interview. :lol: I appreciate you walking me through it though. I definitely want to try this. I may actually try it this weekend.

I do the same thing. I saw on a blog called Curly and Young this girl used AVG, Herbal Essences LTR leave in and vatika oil as a moisturizing leave-in. I tried the same mixture, instead using hot six oil and my curls had never been more defined. When it dries, it leaves my hair soft for a long time. I plan to experiment with other leave ins in the future.

AwesomelyNappy

checking in. I updated my first post with my regimen and start pics. I've pretty much have been sticking to this regimen since August so i have hope for the next 4 months.

Today I wore it in a bun and moistuized with knot today leave in and my moisture mist spray (water, castor oil, glycerin, silk amino acid, aloe very juice) and sealed with hemp and grapeseed oil mix. I'm about to co wash and oil rinse before i go to sleep now and i think i will braid it up in 6-7 big sections to make a braidout for tomorrow. (or i may be lazy and bun again. )

I'm so happy I'm sticking with my vits. I think i missed two days (since august) and am happy with that. (although, i do forget the MSM sometimes).

prettyhair73

I'm in...I just put Shea Moisture Deep Moisturizing treatment on my hair with some coconut and apricot kernel oil and covered it with Saran wrap and my scarf so I don't have a pic but 2 inches is definitely attainable by the end of the for me. I had my hair straightened/flatironed a couple of weeks ago and it is longer than its ever been so I am back OR (on regiment);