Loosening your curl pattern with MSM???(spinoff)

kristina

I just learned from another post that MSM can change the hair texture. Is anyone using it for this purpose? Any if so what were your results? I've been told that I'm a 3c/4a natural, not trying to get a texturizer and this seems very promising.

BAILEYSCREAM

kristina said:
I just learned from another post that MSM can change the hair texture. Is anyone using it for this purpose? Any if so what were your results? I've been told that I'm a 3c/4a natural, not trying to get a texturizer and this seems very promising.

Yep, I take MSM and there was a period when I hadn't taken it for about 5 weeks and my hair became a lot coarser and harder to comb. The MSM makes your hair a lot silkier and softer from my personal observations of my hair. You need to use it continuously though.

I think the brand also matters. You're better off using the powder, which you can mix with fruit juice. MSM is also odour free and tasteless so you won't have any problems with it.:)

PS:
Just saw your pics and your hair looks nice.
I hate it when I just take out my braids too, so much breakage I could scream and this is despitew keeping them moisturised and everything

Last edited:

Neroli

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Yep, I take MSM and there was a period when I hadn't taken it for about 5 weeks and my hair became a lot coarser and harder to comb. The MSM makes your hair a lot silkier and softer from my personal observations of my hair. You need to use it continuously though.

I think the brand also matters. You're better off using the powder, which you can mix with fruit juice. MSM is also odour free and tasteless so you won't have any problems with it.:)

PS:
I hate it when I just take out my braids too, so much breakage I could scream and this is despitew keeping them moisturised and everything

Baileyscream (I LOVE me some Bailey's!): what brand MSM are you using and what potency per day do you take? TIA

kristina

BAILEYSCREAM said:

PS:
Thanks for the info...I'm probably going to try this....what brand of power do you use?

Aerie17

prettykinks said:
What is MSM?

MSM is a naturally occurring sulfur compound in our bodies. As you get older, your body produces less of it. Lately, it has most often been used to help combat arthritis and is in many over the counter arthritis medications. Try to find a brand with the word Lignisul on the label. This is the highest quality MSM.

Three weeks ago I started taking MSM. Last night I took down my braids and I was surprised at what I saw. I thought with all the Surging and vitamin taking that my new-growth would be thick, I was wrong. I had slight waves and it almost looked liked I didnt have any new growth at all. I did take a pic of my hair today and it looks as if it has grown. My braider did notice new growth, but the waves werent defined as in my pre-MSM days. I'm going to track this for the next three weeks again while I'm in braids. If MSM is working this well, I will definitely keep it in my regimen. This will be a great aid in stretching out relaxers.

BAILEYSCREAM

Neroli said:
Baileyscream (I LOVE me some Bailey's!): what brand MSM are you using and what potency per day do you take? TIA

kristina said:
Thanks for the info...I'm probably going to try this....what brand of power do you use?

Kristina and Neroli,

I use the Vitaminworld 8 oz MSM powder, a half teaspoon in juice daily. This is equivalent to 3,000mg of organic sulfur per day.

The tablets usually contain between 1000-1500mg as well as bulking agents, so you get more potency with the powder.:)

Buy 1 get 1 half price too.

MSM Products:
http://vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=48C5949E6A55467890CC54FDF099A6AD&PID=438&np=0

Here is the label: http://www.vitaminworld.com/vf/labels/002286VW.pdf

Last edited:

kristina

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Kristina and Neroli,

I use the Vitaminworld 8 oz MSM powder, a half teaspoon in juice daily. This is equivalent to 3,000mg of organic sulfur per day.

The tablets usually contain between 1000-1500mg as well as bulking agents, so you get more potency with the powder.:)

Buy 1 get 1 half price too.

MSM Products:
http://vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=48C5949E6A55467890CC54FDF099A6AD&PID=438&np=0

Here is the label: http://www.vitaminworld.com/vf/labels/002286VW.pdf

Thanks so much!

Britt

I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but when I took MSM it made my new growth grow in a lot coarser . I was truly perplexed since most people have the opposite effect. First, I took Vitamin Shoppe MSM tablets and my hair grew in faster. Then I crossed over to powedered MSM a popular brand that was used by many on this board. My new growth was unmanageable and I had to relax at about 10 wks. instead of the usual 14-16 wks. I *think* the brand i was taking was trimedica powder.

Dolapo

I was wondering why i didnt see any new growth cos i think im like 3 weeks post relaxer and normally by then, i can see teeny weeny bits of curly hair around my edges. But i noticed that my hair was like half an inch longer and was perplexed. So i stared very hard at my roots and i noticed that the hair at my roots was wavy. Oh well, im not complaining.

lolacurl

Britt said:
I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but when I took MSM it made my new growth grow in a lot coarser . I was truly perplexed since most people have the opposite effect. First, I took Vitamin Shoppe MSM tablets and my hair grew in faster. Then I crossed over to powedered MSM a popular brand that was used by many on this board. My new growth was unmanageable and I had to relax at about 10 wks. instead of the usual 14-16 wks. I *think* the brand i was taking was trimedica powder.

Britt,
Amazing that you said this! I am also taking the trimedica capsules, and my new growth, while abundant seems coarser. I thought it was just me...I actually waited 20 weeks between touch ups, and now I'm thinking that I may have to do one in about 4 more weeks (14 wks), if not sooner...
hmmm...

Britt

lolacurl said:
Britt,
Amazing that you said this! I am also taking the trimedica capsules, and my new growth, while abundant seems coarser. I thought it was just me...I actually waited 20 weeks between touch ups, and now I'm thinking that I may have to do one in about 4 more weeks (14 wks), if not sooner...
hmmm...

yup my new growth was coming in faster but it was coarser which was a headache.

Allandra

I've been taking msm daily for quite a while. I haven't noticed it changing my hair texture although I take it for other reasons.

ximenia

I never tried the trimedica powder but I did use their MSM conditioner and it was horrible. Left my hair hard and dry. Yeah, stay away from Trimedica's stuff.

pbuckley

I take the Trimedica Pure MSM tablets 1 everyday 1000mg. I have been doing this for the past 6 months. I was able to stretch for the first time ever! I am loving it! I guess each person is different.

BAILEYSCREAM

pbuckley said:
I take the Trimedica Pure MSM tablets 1 everyday 1000mg. I have been doing this for the past 6 months. I was able to stretch for the first time ever! I am loving it! I guess each person is different.

I agree:)
What works for Jack may never work for Jill.:yep:

buffalosoldier

Msm was definitely changing the texture of my hair but I had to stop taking it. But I take Biotin and it has quite drastically changed my hair texture. I might not ever texturise again at this rate.

tryn2growmyhair

buffalosoldier said:
Msm was definitely changing the texture of my hair but I had to stop taking it. But I take Biotin and it has quite drastically changed my hair texture. I might not ever texturise again at this rate.
Why did you stop taking it?

azul11

My situation with MSM may be unique. When I first took after a while I noticed the different textures of the hair. But then when I stopped taking it the different textures were still there. I started using it again a while ago and there wasnt much difference so I started to wonder if maybe my hair was always like this but since I was taking better care of it I am now seeing my texture come through. God bless you all

buffalosoldier

tryn2growmyhair said:
Why did you stop taking it?

Msm was messing with my cycle so I said forget it cos it's not that serious. My hair was also shedding a lot less. I would wash it and lose like 3 hairs LOL !!!
I might try taking it again at some point.