Snapping off ends of my natural hair

missyT

I have a habit of snapping of the ends of my hair. Does anybody else have his problem? As a result my hair is making very little progress in terms of length retention and thickness. I don't think that it is a good idea for me to wear my hair out because of this and consequently wear protective styles such as weaves. I don't really like to wear braids because they are so easy to losen and I tend to snap off then ends which stick out of the braids. It is such a big problem for me and it seems that weaves are the only way for me to grow my hair because it is tucked away.

If anybody has the same or a similar challenge, I would really like to hear your responses and how you deal with such challenges. I really hope I am not the only one with this problem.

FIRESTARTER

Is this snapping like pulling them out strand by strand or snipping? What length is your hair? I know since im not quite use to short hair, that I have this issue with my TWA. I wanna cut everything that doesnt look right. I am tempted but I dont even think I will be able to trim when its time(I know thats naughty:naughty:). Do you think(if your hair is short), you will still want to snip or snap once it gets longer. Is it something you do unconsciously like a bad habit or is it like grooming? I think if you do braids, at least your cutting less than you would if it was just out.:) I hope this helps.

Isis

I don't know of anyone with this particular situation but I'm bumping this post for other responses. Have you always done this or is this a new habit?

locabouthair

i thought i was the only one who did this. its a very bad habit and i find that i snap off the ends more when i have knots on the strand. the only way i stopped pulling and snapping off the ends was to wear my hair in cornrows.

MeechUK

MeechUK
missyT said:
I have a habit of snapping of the ends of my hair. Does anybody else have his problem? As a result my hair is making very little progress in terms of length retention and thickness. I don't think that it is a good idea for me to wear my hair out because of this and consequently wear protective styles such as weaves. I don't really like to wear braids because they are so easy to losen and I tend to snap off then ends which stick out of the braids. It is such a big problem for me and it seems that weaves are the only way for me to grow my hair because it is tucked away.

If anybody has the same or a similar challenge, I would really like to hear your responses and how you deal with such challenges. I really hope I am not the only one with this problem.

MissyT,
it sounds as if you have split ends! A trim followed by regular dusting should strengthen your ends. Also look at how you moisturise your ends.

HHG,
MeechUK

missyT

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that I had gotten so many replies. The only way I can stop myself from ruining my hair completely is by protective styling i.e weaves and my hair gains length.

I probably will try and trim my hair more regularly because its the knots that make me want to snap the ends off.

balisi

Like you, I tend to snap off the ends of my hair when it knots. The knots are primarily in the nape area, where my curls are tighter. It is difficult to leave them alone when I feel them. Wearing protective styles help.