Who has fine/thin hair?

missyT

I have fine strands and overall thin hair and am thinking of getting a relaxer but would like to get an idea of what my hair would look like and what styles I could do.

Please describe how you styles your hair and how often you relax? What relaxer do you use?

sharee

I have fine thin hair but I don't have any photos of any styling that I do. But, I will tell you that the rollerset has saved my hair. Something about wearing the hair too straight makes thin/fine hair look stringy and sickly. IMO

Edited to add braidouts and twistouts too. The gain volume over time.

Miss*Tress

My hair is very fine and average density but roller sets give it lots and lots of body. When my stylist blow dries my hair it looks OK for a few days than it's just too flat and lifeless.

I relax 1-2 times a year (the curly roots give more volume). The stylist uses a no-lye relaxer - starts with an 'A', it's not Affirm though - but I think it dries my hair out. If I remember next time, I'll ask for a lye formula.

There are a couple of pictures on my blog (link below), but one is old and the other is dark. A friend is going to take a few shots for me tomorrow so if I don't look too ugly in them, I'll post them there.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I have fine/thin hair.

Relaxing just didnt work for me. I got the best results from wash and sets but my hair is also very dry and it was hard to duplicate at home.

I just found that relaxing made my hair look thinner. I could not put much products on it and I could not hold curls if there was any type of humdity. I wore my hair in a bun most of the time -- now I am transitioning.

I used to relax my hair often before coming here (every 6-8 weeks) then I stretched to 13 weeks or so.

I just realized I don't like flat hair, and that was what I was left with.

divinefavor

I have fine/thin hair and I do relax. Stretching for more than 12 weeks at a time has been a life saver as it gives me volume and my hair appears thick. I normally use no lye relaxers. I also love rollersetting my hair.

SandySea

I also have fine hair. I just got a touch-up and my hair is way too straight and flat. Rollersetting,using setting lotion or mousse, and putting rinses in my hair helps me to gain more volume. I wore my hair pressed during college and people said that I had "Oprah hair" because it always looked so full and healthy. If I could transition without waiting so long, I would do it in a heartbeat. Having fine hair makes you more prone to breakage if anything goes wrong, so really think about making the jump to relaxer and be prepared to lose even more volume due to the straightness. I go 10 weeks between perms, but I am going to go back to 8 weeks because my hair starts breaking after longer than that--no matter how gentle I am. If you do decide to relax, don't make it bone straight. Some texture will make your hair look fuller. Good luck!