Is Selling Raffle Tickets Gambling?

mensa

My church wants to sale raffle tickets for a fund raiser?

Do a lot of churches do this to raise money?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
My church wants to sale raffle tickets for a fund raiser?

Do a lot of churches do this to raise money?

I can think of other ways to raise money, however, I wouldn't lose sleep over this. People are contributing to a cause to help others.

Gambling is about one's selfish desires and it is also addictive. Gambling also takes place in unwholesome atmospheres and other unwholesome activities are usually taking place as well.

Raffle tickets are non-addictive. I can safely say that gamblers will most likely NOT be contributing to a raffle event, as it does not involve the spirit nor the atmosphere which draws one to gamble; the seduction of gambling is not there with a raffle event.

Mensa, here is what God knows about you.... God knows that you are one who is after 'His own heart'. Knowing this, God will bless you indeed with great and wonderful ideas that will surpass fund raisers such as this. Your Church is not evil for holding a raffle; they are simply stepping out in a direction they thought would bless your Church. God has other directions and you will one that He can speak to bring them into being.

Enjoy this event. Love your Church family all the more. Be ready for what God is about to show you...a better way.

:bighug:

mensa

Thanks so much Shimmie. You encourage us on lhcf so much. May God be with you both now and forever.

How's the little fella doing?

I pray that he receive divine healing from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.:yep:

Also, please give my love to Nice and Wavy.

Last edited:

JaneBond007

We have a raffle yearly for our Church carnival and they are nice cars. Last year there was a red Mustang. This year, it was an Equinox. One previous year, they had a souped-up Mini Cooper. At the carnival, they have a gambling table. I'm not too keen on that, though. Most of our churches have bingo. I'm kinda divided on it but not on the raffle.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thanks so much Shimmie. You encourage us on lhcf so much. May God be with you both now and forever.

How's the little fella doing?

I pray that he receive divine healing from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.:yep:

Also, please give my love to Nice and Wavy.

You encourage us as well, Sweet Mensa. Yes, you do. :yep: :love3:

Little Brayden had truly 'stolen' my heart. :love5: I keep checking for updates. I thank you and everyone for praying for him and his family. I've never met them, yet it seems as if Brayden is a part of my family.

I will definitely share your warm greeting with Nice and Wavy. She will be very blessed to know this.

Keep us posted on your event. I know that your prayers will avail much and the blessings will fall in abundance for you and your Church.

Here's another idea that you may want to share with your Church as a fund raiser. A 'Silent' Auction.

Mensa, everyone has something in their homes that they would love to sell or donate. :yep:

Well, in addition to the Raffle, you could have a silent auction and the proceeds are donated to your Church. Donated items to be sold can also include services (Beauty salon, Barber visits, Baby sitting, House cleaning; Car tune ups; Dance classes; Spa day; ...the list is endless). Many businesses donate their services for silent auctions as this also serves as advertising for their business, it brings attention to them for more customers. '

Guests' to your event will make a 'silent' bid on the items they like by signing on the bid sheet placed in front of the item on display; and the highest bidder gets the item. Certificates are created for the 'Service' items and the bid sheets are placed in front of the certificates for the bidders to list their bid.

You could even have a 'Flea Market' for another event. Church Members can literally 'clean house' :)lol:) by gathering worthy items from their homes and having a Flea Market sale at your Church.

Also, if you have a 'Silent Auction' make sure to invite your local representatives and the local news teams (they Love the exposure). These events usually go quite well. You can even ask them if they'd like to donate an item (or items) to be auctioned. People will bid high for Councilman Bob's favorite baseball cap. :lol: That's just an example. :lol:

These events are not hard to arrange at all. I've been a part of this for years and they are really fun and opens the door to meeting many people who truly want to help as well as new friends and new souls into God's Kingdom. :yep: