Problems with detangling

jjchantel

Hello everyone!
I have really dense,fine, 4a hair that stays tangled. I'm currently transitioning and it's a struggle. My hair has always been tangly and I think it's taking a toll on my ends (they look raggedy lmao). I've tried using a tangle teezer which was wayyy to rough, a wet brush, michel mercier detangling brush, and now I'm currently using a tek brush thats wooden, natural, and seamless to Detangle my hair. I always use a seamless wide tooth comb, then a smaller wide tooth comb, and then I finish with the brush to rid of any more tangles. (I always wait until my hair is 70 % dry before manipulating it. ) and after it's dry, it's STILL tangled! I'm so frustrated with it b/c it takes me at least an hour to Detangle and I'm super gentle.
I also:
-Wash my hair in sections
-Use a applicator bottle to apply shampoo
-Dc w/ steamer weekly
- Trim regularly
I'm all out of options guys! Please help!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Do you do cool rinses or close your hair cuticles using cold AVJ or ACV after washing.

I would get knots, ssks, tangles because my cuticle layer was lifted and jagged catching on each strand.

Another thing is, when my hair porosity was the highest it could go, no product could help keep my hair untangled. It was also kinda stiff to the touch when wet. HTH

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
jjchantel

Will you please post pix of the M Mercier and Tek brushes, so I can see what they look like.

I have fine hair, too. Brushes are the devil for fine hair ladies. Especially, for detangling :nono:

Upon rinse out, you should done a turbie twist, T-shirt, or micro fiber towel for 15-20 mins. That'll have you at 70 % dry. LCO your hair and style it so it's "stretched" to prevent tangles I.e. braids for a braid out etc.

Do you detangle, before cleansing with well lubed hair and fingers? Once, I do that I don't allow my hair to retangle. When I'm done cleansing one section, I put that section in a Bantu knot or jumbo clip to prevent re-tangling. I cleanse in two loose sections. Hold your length taught while you massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers to prevent tangling while cleansing. Then pull the cleanser down your length like you're climbing a rope in gym class.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

jjchantel

thanks for the tip!
i do incorporate cold rinses, and I use clear rinses as well. I think I may have to check my porosity levels next wash day

Lilmama1011

I was on a long quest for detangling as well last year. This year i think i have it down packed.
I detangle before washing by separating into 4 sections and then separating that in half(8) but clipping it up as four. I part with my hands and gently pull to remove shedded hairs and spray the new growth (with my conditioner, oil and distilled water mixture). I then spray one spray to do the length of my hair and I gather that section like I'm doing a ponytail smoothing the wetness down my hair and making sure my new growth is saturated. I then take my comb and comb from bottom to top and it's easy going each time. The comb goes right through my new growth with ease and I only lose shedded hair.

Natural hair works with you when it's wet and relaxed works well when damp or dry not wet because it will break.

jjchantel

Upon rinse out, you should done a turbie twist, T-shirt, or micro fiber towel for 15-20 mins. That'll have you at 70 % dry. LCO your hair and style it so it's "stretched" to prevent tangles I.e. braids for a braid out etc.

Do you detangle, before cleansing with well lubed hair and fingers? Once, I do that I don't allow my hair to retangle. When I'm done cleansing one section, I put that section in a Bantu knot or jumbo clip to prevent re-tangling. I cleanse in two loose sections. Hold your length taught while you massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers to prevent tangling while cleansing. Then pull the cleanser down your length like you're climbing a rope in gym
class

I do use a turbie towel after I rinse out to let my hair get mostly dry before detangling. But I don't stretch it. I think I LCO w/o actually realizing it! lol
And I don't detangle before cleansing, But I'll def try it out! Thank you!:yep:

tuffCOOKiE

I would at the very least finger detangle before starting to wash/condition. Be gentle if you decide to dry detangle.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I do use a turbie towel after I rinse out to let my hair get mostly dry before detangling. But I don't stretch it. I think I LCO w/o actually realizing it! lol
And I don't detangle before cleansing, But I'll def try it out! Thank you!:yep:

jjchantel

Be sure that your hair and fingers are well lubed with EVCO, or something similar, :yep: Also, please report back on whether it helped or not.

Lynn84

Our hair sounds the same OP. Cowboy Magic has been a tremendous help with my detangling.

Lymegreen

A lot of times people suggest detangling when you are not in a rush or frustrated because that could cause you to rush and rip out your hair.

When my hair is super tangly I give up on having it all out at one time. I start with sections - detangle in sections - and braid (or twist) in sections. All of my hair is never out all at once.

It's kind of frustrating because you can't see your hair's progress but I keep it up until I touch up. I'm relaxed so after a long stretch I get a little help with relaxing again.

If I were natural it would easily take me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to detangle my hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
When was your last trim? The worse your ends get with splits and SSK, the harder it is to detangle and keep fine hair detangled.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I find detangling every step of the way makes for an easy wash day
My regi:
-detangle before washing
-cleanse
-oil rinse, run comb through the hair as I rinse
-deep condition
-run the comb through the hair as I rinse out the deep conditioner
-air dry
-lightly comb through hair when 95-100% dry

Urban

Co-signing @Tamarashanice on sealing your cuticle, :yep:

Cosigning with finding a way to flatten the cuticle. My cuticles lift and cause my hair to tangle something fierce when I shampoo. Coating my hair with coconut oil or conditioner as a prepoo helps immensely.

Lilmama1011

A lot of times people suggest detangling when you are not in a rush or frustrated because that could cause you to rush and rip out your hair.

When my hair is super tangly I give up on having it all out at one time. I start with sections - detangle in sections - and braid (or twist) in sections. All of my hair is never out all at once.

It's kind of frustrating because you can't see your hair's progress but I keep it up until I touch up. I'm relaxed so after a long stretch I get a little help with relaxing again.

If I were natural it would easily take me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to detangle my hair.

True, if you don't have the patience don't do it. Last year I didn't have the patience and would just rip through it. Now I am way more careful and if it take me a out to do a twist or braid out along with detangling I don't care because I'm always happy with how much hair I lose and it's ways less than half the hair I use to lose last year

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
My hair is the same way OP. I am transitioning so my hair tangles easily. My stylist ended up cutting off like 6 inches because it was so tangled. I am going to bookmark this thread. I would like to read more responses to this. I am on the edge of going back to relaxers.

jjchantel

I find detangling every step of the way makes for an easy wash day My regi: -detangle before washing -cleanse -oil rinse, run comb through the hair as I rinse -deep condition -run the comb through the hair as I rinse out the deep conditioner -air dry -lightly comb through hair when 95-100% dry

I've tried oil rinsing the first time last night when I cowashed after I read this. I used coconut oil. My new growth loved it, but my ends hated it and my leave ins left me with these white ball things in my hair. I think I use too much oil. How do you oil rinse?

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I find detangling every step of the way makes for an easy wash day
My regi:
-detangle before washing
-cleanse
-oil rinse, run comb through the hair as I rinse
-deep condition
-run the comb through the hair as I rinse out the deep conditioner
-air dry
-lightly comb through hair when 95-100% dry

I agree with divachyk. Detangling in multiple steps helps tremendously if you can do it. At the very least, detangle before you wash your hair.

I detangle well oiled hair before I wash my hair (all the time, with wide tooth comb and fingers), during shampoo (sometimes, with fingers), during rinse of rinse-out condish (all the time when I use one, with fingers), during rinse of DC (all the time, with fingers), and once hair is 75-90% dry (all the time, with wide tooth and medium tooth combs).

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
krissyhair....

I oil rinse on wet hair...
1) apply oil
2) layer conditioner on top
3) rinse

When I dry deep condition, I either mix oil and conditioner then apply or
1) mist hair with water
2) apply oil
3) layer on conditioner
4) rinse

I've tried oil rinsing the first time last night when I cowashed after I read this. I used coconut oil. My new growth loved it, but my ends hated it and my leave ins left me with these white ball things in my hair. I think I use too much oil. How do you oil rinse?

jjchantel, I posted the above in the oil rinsing thread...I always use wheat germ oil. Other oils (and I've tried plenty) didn't work for me.

jjchantel

Ok guys! I washed my hair last night/ early this morning and I did what some of you all suggested.
Detangled before shampooing/every step of wash day
Used mane n tail detangler
Stretched hair while detangling
Did porosity check. Hair is still low porosity so it hasn't changed.
-----
I also:
-Clarified/chelated-which I realized I haven't done since November. This helped sooooo much. I used joico k-pak cheating shampoo diluted in a shampoo bottle.

-Brought a new shampoo, Joico Moisture Recovery, that worked great as well. I diluted it in a shampoo bottle with water after I chelated. My hair wasn't stripped like it usually is after shampooing and actually felt moisturized- which was surprising b/c the chelating shampoo can make your hair dry if not careful. I'm coming to the conclusion that sulfate-free shampoos aren't as good for me as I thought b/c they always gave me tangles and left my hair stripped. (I was beginning to think this was normal but guess not! Lol)

- Used a new rinse out condish to moisturize after my tea rinse. (Giovanni 50:50). OMG SO MUCH SLIP!

- Used mane n tail detangler. After I Detangled, my hair stayed that way once stretched.

- Did a clear rinse after my dc which made my hair much silkier and "slippery."

- Brought a new denman brush that helped a lot with the tangles as well.
-------
Final conclusion:
Detangling was a lot easier with the suggestions you all gave me. I think by my shampoo not stripping and tangling my hair even more helped tremendously. Once my hair was finally dry, I still had a little trouble getting a comb through to flat iron, but I think I just need a better moisturizing dc. (Hairveda's stirrinellah dc comes in Saturday so hopefully that'll help out a bit). I appreciate all of your help! My hair thanks you as well

Risingsun

Hello everyone!
I have really dense,fine, 4a hair that stays tangled. I'm currently transitioning and it's a struggle. My hair has always been tangly and I think it's taking a toll on my ends (they look raggedy lmao). I've tried using a tangle teezer which was wayyy to rough, a wet brush, michel mercier detangling brush, and now I'm currently using a tek brush thats wooden, natural, and seamless to Detangle my hair. I always use a seamless wide tooth comb, then a smaller wide tooth comb, and then I finish with the brush to rid of any more tangles. (I always wait until my hair is 70 % dry before manipulating it. ) and after it's dry, it's STILL tangled! I'm so frustrated with it b/c it takes me at least an hour to Detangle and I'm super gentle.
I also:
-Wash my hair in sections
-Use a applicator bottle to apply shampoo
-Dc w/ steamer weekly
- Trim regularly
I'm all out of options guys! Please help!
You really have to be careful of how you are washing your hair. Beautiful healthy hair begins with the washing process. Just take a little time out to scope your shampoos. Pay special attention to the ingredients. Peace

ikandi87

I apologize bc this might be in another thread but my search function is limited on my phone...

Has anyone ever notice breakage from seperating in sections?

I have SL transitioning 4c (I think) hair all over except the for about 3 or 4 inches at my nape

I usually section in fours or sometimes split those sections in half but my verticle part is almost always the same and im starting to notice the finer looser hair in the back is breaking...I dont wear ponytail much and the breakage is in the center if that makes sense

I stopped or slowed it down by keeping it really moisturized but idk where it came from...

MicheePrings

When was your last trim? The worse your ends get with splits and SSK, the harder it is to detangle and keep fine hair detangled.
I co-sign this. Try trimming your hair and see it that helps. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Eta: be sure your trimming scissors are sharp because trimming with dull scissors may cause more splits

NaturalBoss

The 2 things that help me the most with the detangling process are:
1. Don't detangle while in a hurry (as mentioned earlier)
2. Try not to let my hair get tangled in the first place-----I have fine hair too. It's long, dense, but it's fine. I don't do wash-n-go's or any styles that I feel cause my hair to get tangled. I'm lazy and I HATE detangling my hair. Even when I wear my hair in a bun, I section the back horizontally and braid it, and then put it in a bun with the rest of my hair (since the back gets really tangled).

I haven't tried doing a cool rinse, but that's sounds like something I might incorporate into my routine.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
The 2 things that help me the most with the detangling process are:
1. Don't detangle while in a hurry (as mentioned earlier)
2. Try not to let my hair get tangled in the first place-----I have fine hair too. It's long, dense, but it's fine. I don't do wash-n-go's or any styles that I feel cause my hair to get tangled. I'm lazy and I HATE detangling my hair. Even when I wear my hair in a bun, I section the back horizontally and braid it, and then put it in a bun with the rest of my hair (since the back gets really tangled).

I haven't tried doing a cool rinse, but that's sounds like something I might incorporate into my routine.

IllustriousOne

I need a demo, that sounds like a good idea!