Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Whelp, @YvetteWithJoy you know what you have to do. I am curious as to why that order would cause your ends to break. Hopefully, someone else can shed more light on the subject.

Thanks, lady. :smile:

It's either protein overload (my hair is brittle because a lot of my products have protein) . . . or not enough protein (it's been awhile since I've given my hair a protein treatment) . . . or it's the way I applied the Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee. I only have a tiny sample, so I applied it to my ends only. I began detangling from the bottom, inching up bit by bit. Maybe I didn't use enough ghee? But my hair was soaking wet.

I'm shocked to see all those little pieces. Next wash, I'm going to take a section and detangle it with the Soultanicals Hair Glide (like I did before deciding to change things up) and see if I get any breakage. If not, I'll detangle my whole head. If I do get breakage, I'll apply Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener and see if that helps. If my hair gets very hard from the protein treatment, I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess all I'll be able to do at that point is do a moisture-infusing DC until things aright.

SmilingElephant

The fact that your name is @Bad&Bougee and you call your hair Sista Girl tells me that we are automatic besties on SITE! :lachen: (We got 30 and hunned rounds too! Lol)

But yes! My hair is FOR the gel! It begs for it! :lol:
I also use gel and my hair is cool with it. We (me and my hair) fight over a lot of products but one thing Sistah Girl and I agree on is protein hair gel. It laid my hair down beautifully and I did not have ANY breakage, thinning of my edges or dryness when I wash it out. It could be because I DCd afterward, I don't know, but gel was definitely my BFF when I was natural.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks, lady. :smile:

It's either protein overload (my hair is brittle because a lot of my products have protein) . . . or not enough protein (it's been awhile since I've given my hair a protein treatment) . . . or it's the way I applied the Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee. I only have a tiny sample, so I applied it to my ends only. I began detangling from the bottom, inching up bit by bit. Maybe I didn't use enough ghee? But my hair was soaking wet.

I'm shocked to see all those little pieces. Next wash, I'm going to take a section and detangle it with the Soultanicals Hair Glide (like I did before deciding to change things up) and see if I get any breakage. If not, I'll detangle my whole head. If I do get breakage, I'll apply Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener and see if that helps. If my hair gets very hard from the protein treatment, I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess all I'll be able to do at that point is do a moisture-infusing DC until things aright.
If you look closely, you'll see SSK and splits. you might just need a tiny 1/4" trim to knock those off. too many will surely split and snap off hair. perhaps the change in products or order used was meant to call your attention to an existing problem.

It might seem alarming but since the average head holds 100,000 strands it's not bad. good you're catching it early.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
If you look closely, you'll see SSK and splits. you might just need a tiny 1/4" trim to knock those off. too many will surely split and snap off hair. perhaps the change in products or order used was meant to call your attention to an existing problem.

It might seem alarming but since the average head holds 100,000 strands it's not bad. good you're catching it early.

Thanks, @DarkJoy, for the insight. :smile:

It probably is time for a trim. After I get back from Atlanta next week, I'll schedule an appointment and get a picture taken so I can see what's going on with my ends. I'll also get a trim if it's needed.

I'm really hoping that the amount of handling I do of my hair is not causing problems. I handle it a bit more than most.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I was seeing some tiny hairs like that before I had my hair trimmed. I don't see nearly as many now. So yeah, I'd say it's time for a time like @DarkJoy mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, @divachyk. That's really comforting. I feel less alone, and the situation seems less . . . catastrophic. :giggle: I'm a little emotional sometimes. Just a tad. A smidgen. :look:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Thanks for taking the time to reply, @divachyk. That's really comforting. I feel less alone, and the situation seems less . . . catastrophic.:giggle: I'm a little emotional sometimes. Just a tad. A smidgen. :look:

@YvetteWithJoy
Most of us are emotional when it comes to our hair...why else would we be on LHCF all times of day and night? :giggle: Do you find that your hair snags and feels rough at the ends? Mine was feeling / behaving this way and it's not now. It feels a million times better. The hair trim was overdue. When was your last trim? I'm pretty sure you have answered that already.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy
Most of us are emotional when it comes to our hair...why else would we be on LHCF all times of day and night? :giggle: Do you find that your hair snags and feels rough at the ends? Mine was feeling / behaving this way and it's not now. It feels a million times better. The hair trim was overdue. When was your last trim? I'm pretty sure you have answered that already.

:curtain: :oops: Thanks. :smile:

No, my ends feel great, ironically. I saturated them with TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In, and they have dried feeling luscious.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I really hate when ppl ask me what I use in my hair and the moment I say that I use gel...they have a heart attack.

Oh...and then I have to correct them on how the gels I use do not have alcohol and I need gel for hold.

I use a lot of leave in conditioner and then seal it in with an oil before I rake my gel in...my hair is not dying. Obviously I know what I'm doing when I can do a hair flip with my curly hair!

I also have edges.

So please take your heart attack somewhere else out of my face and request an ekg.

You still explain?

I still tell people I don't nothing to my hair. I can't be bothered.

scarcity21

I really hate when ppl ask me what I use in my hair and the moment I say that I use gel...they have a heart attack.

Oh...and then I have to correct them on how the gels I use do not have alcohol and I need gel for hold.

I use a lot of leave in conditioner and then seal it in with an oil before I rake my gel in...my hair is not dying. Obviously I know what I'm doing when I can do a hair flip with my curly hair!

I also have edges.

So please take your heart attack somewhere else out of my face and request an ekg.
@SmilingElephant , I use gel too!!! That's the only thing I've found to work on my hair and I've tried most of the popular leaveins and creams, all which leave me with dry, crunchy hair

Bad&Bougee

:curtain: :oops: Thanks. :smile:

No, my ends feel great, ironically. I saturated them with TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave In, and they have dried feeling luscious.
I've been eyeing a lot of TGIN's products but did not want to risk wasting money on another jar of something that will collect dust under my sink. The LHCF ladies always have good things to say about the TGIN product they've tried so you sold me. I'm going to buy the leave in this weekend. Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've been eyeing a lot of TGIN's products but did not want to risk wasting money on another jar of something that will collect dust under my sink. The LHCF ladies always have good things to say about the TGIN product they've tried so you sold me. I'm going to buy the leave in this weekend. Thanks!

Just buy it from Target or Sally's and keep your receipt so you can return it if you don't like it. I used to hesitate to make returns, but now I don't. I think you'll like it, though! :smile:

trueheartofgold

@YvetteWithJoy, hey sunshine! How is the NetWurks spray working for your edges? I currently use JBCO/Rosemary oil mix for my edges (haven't been using long enough to see results). The JBCO is very sticky and smells...interesting.

I wonder if the NetWurks may work better than JBCO. I've seen it in local BSS.

Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy, hey sunshine! How is the NetWurks spray working for your edges? I currently use JBCO/Rosemary oil mix for my edges (haven't been using long enough to see results). The JBCO is very sticky and smells...interesting.

I wonder if the NetWurks may work better than JBCO. I've seen it in local BSS.

Thanks!

Hey, lady!

It's working, but slowly because I'm not as consistent as I should be. I definitely see growth with it. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks! I forgot to ask you which one you prefer more: Camille Rose Curl Maker or Mielle Organics Gel?

It's close:
Now that I've used the Mielle Organics Gel for a few days now, I'll say I prefer the Camille Rose Naturals. The ONLY reason: I get a little "snowing" effect with the Mielle Organics. (You know: You touch or rub your hair and the tiniest, tiniest fine white dust shakes off.)

I like the hold and shine and protection from tangling that I get with the Mielle Organics. If there was no snowing effect with it, I'd never purchase Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker again.

I'm going to see if mixing jojoba or castor oil or some type of cream with the Mielle will prevent the snowing. If not, it's back to CRN Curl Maker. If CRN Curl Maker had a slightly harder hold, it would be perfection.

trueheartofgold

It's close:
Now that I've used the Mielle Organics Gel for a few days now, I'll say I prefer the Camille Rose Naturals. The ONLY reason: I get a little "snowing" effect with the Mielle Organics. (You know: You touch or rub your hair and the tiniest, tiniest fine white dust shakes off.)

I like the hold and shine and protection from tangling that I get with the Mielle Organics. If there was no snowing effect with it, I'd never purchase Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker again.

I'm going to see if mixing jojoba or castor oil or some type of cream with the Mielle will prevent the snowing. If not, it's back to CRN Curl Maker. If CRN Curl Maker had a slightly harder hold, it would be perfection.

Thanks again for responding! Do you think it may be that your leave in didn't mix well with the gel?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks again for responding! Do you think it may be that your leave in didn't mix well with the gel?

:yep: Could be. :smile: I'm going to experiment a bit before giving up on it. When I used the Mielle gel alone, I liked it the first day, but the second day I got frizz. I thus feel it needs oil paired with it or something. If I get that Mielle gel right, it's on!

trueheartofgold

:yep: Could be. :smile: I'm going to experiment a bit before giving up on it. When I used the Mielle gel alone, I liked it the first day, but the second day I got frizz. I thus feel it needs oil paired with it or something. If I get that Mielle gel right, it's on!

I hope it works for you! A lot of people rave about the gel and I've only seen a couple negative (due to glycerin being so high on the ingredients list).

I don't know why I didn't remember to ask you in one message but: what do you think about the TGIN Mask?