Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

MummysGirl

I'm not too sure if this applies to me because I plan to transition for a minimum of 18 months (this is my initial goal and i have a feeling I will cut when I'm here). If I get to 18 months and feel I can go longer, I will.

I'm currently 10 months post....

Tanji

Thanks again, Smiley79 for starting this thread. I saw my girlfriend last night at a gathering who started her journey of becoming natural four years ago. She is very supportive and is encouraging me to stick with my journey of becoming natural (I am close to 28 weeks). Anyway, she never did the big chop. Her hair always looked healthy, strong and long. She told me that little by little her hairdresser cut the relaxer out. She started transitioning with shoulder length hair and said it took her two years to become fully free of relaxer. This can be done. I'm glad we are supporting each other.

skegeesmb

I'm in. Only a few months into my transition, but so far so good. I am going the straitening route. I don't seem to lose that much hair this transition. I did wear my hair wet, but I can only comb it in the shower right now. I transitioned for a few months the first time I went natural and cut it because I didn't want to do two textures. But I have gone between relaxers as long as 8 months so I can do it.

Smiley79

It's great to hear all these stories...and I didn't think there would be much of a reply to this thread, lol. What are you all finding to be the biggest challenge thus far in this process of transitioning without BC'ing? I know for me it's managing the new growth without jeopordizing the relaxed part. One thing I just realized is that on my wash days, my hair feels so soft and great. But it's the days afterwards that my hair starts to act all brand new with coarseness and dryness. I'm wondering if frequent cowashes would remedy that. I do not currently cowash and never have.

mz. new~new

I'm in... I've been natural 3 or 4 times before but I've never actually transitioned. I'm only 5 weeks post but am planning to transition at least 2 years.

Platinum

25 weeks post.:grin: I want to join.:yep: I plan to transition in braids and trim away the relaxed ends as I go along.

Caychica

I'm joining!

I've been transitioning for a while now. Not exactly sure how long but quite a few months. I dont plan on doing a b/c, just a trim here and there.

I'm sticking with weaves as a transitioning style because I cant handle my hair & two textures...not helping. I usually keep it blow-dry if the weave's out. Much easier to handle.

Breakage is easily solved with Aphogee 2-step system
& i deep condition/co-wash weekly then moisturize so my hair doesnt get dry.

naturalpride

Count me in I have been natural for 15 months with doing the bc and I decided to relax in March 2009. So this time I will transition for about 1.5-2 years then bc. My last relaxer was Aug. 11, 2009.

MRJ1972

Joining the Club!!!!:grin::grin:

Me- Last relaxer March 2009

Daughter - Last relaxer December 2008

We are both 4b- daughter is thick 4b, I am fine 4b

I am still playing with products but I need some EXCELLENT suggestions for moisture and protein balance- shampoo and conditioner

Current rotation-
Giovanni shampoo and conditioner
ORS - replinishing conditioner
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol
Infusium 23 leave in
Dove Moisture Mist leave in

Essential oils used are coconut and shea butter, which I love!

I dont plan on cutting our hair..we use braids, braid outs and sew in weaves to transition.

keriplz

I'm in! I was planning on BC after 2years of transitioning, but I think I'll just keep growing out until I'm near MBL. :yep:

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
I'm in. I'm no transitioning expert, but I will share what works for me

Last relaxer 2/09 3cish fine stands, dense volume

I had to drop the waxy and dimethicone-y conditioners, but mostly still using same products I did when relaxed for now. Some stuff is in siggy I bought since transitioning. I have too many products to list and I am using things up while my hair still likes them. If I flatiron, I keep it for 2 weeks, otherwise, wash weekly.
I am using a reconstructor(I like aphogee 2 min and joico dpr) almost every 6 weeks, and little protein hits in between as seems necessary.
My regimen:

1.oil and detangle dry hair with seamless comb and braid/barette in roller sections
2.prepoo(ayurvedic oil then sometimes conditioner also), poo, dc in braids
3.spray creamy leave in+ water/rollerset braids for 2hrs under pibbs at 45
If I don't want a straight look/flatiron, after an hour I will unbraid almost to demarcation line and replace roller dry another hour.(re mist with salerm 21b5 and water if necessary)
4. lightly blow out roots using tension method & make 4 plaits or cornrows
or
apply sabino or other heat protectant and flatiron roots only with sedu on setting between 320 and 360.

6. Oil my scalp (natural oasis)
In between: moisturize relaxed ends with HE LTR and seal with grapeseed
lightly oil roots.

This is what's working for me and keeping hair on my head. I am sticking with this until it no longer works or I am fully natural.

DayStar

Im in. 17 weeks post. I did cut my hair from BSL to just below shoulder. Transition is a breeze.

MiWay

I'm at week 13 and this is my second attempt at transitioning. I made it to 6 months last time.

Essence (with Nia on the cover) has an article about transitioning, but it's not as in-depth as I had hoped it would be.

I'm still working on how I will change up my regimen. I'm thinking about getting a weave or braids. I'm almost due for a product re-up, so I will be stalking your posts/fotkis for ideas.

Cali*Rocks

I'm 22 months post and this is what's been working for me. Of all the products I have tried.. Giovanni was the best hands down for me. I'm 3c I think?

Conditioner wash - with Giovanni 50/50 condish or Aussie Moist :yep: (Good stuff)
Shampoo - Giovanni 50/50, Elucence moisture benefits or volume clarifying.
Oils - Jojoba oil :love2:
Leave in Giovanni Condish or Elucence. I NEVER buy seperate leave-in's..I just use regular conditioner add jojoba oil and put it back in a bun.

ETA: I do love Joico conditioners as well but they have cones in them...but very good conditioners if you don't mind cones.

ChristmasCarol

It's great to hear all these stories...and I didn't think there would be much of a reply to this thread, lol. What are you all finding to be the biggest challenge thus far in this process of transitioning without BC'ing? I know for me it's managing the new growth without jeopordizing the relaxed part. One thing I just realized is that on my wash days, my hair feels so soft and great. But it's the days afterwards that my hair starts to act all brand new with coarseness and dryness. I'm wondering if frequent cowashes would remedy that. I do not currently cowash and never have.
Co-washing with vo5/evoo/castor oil every 24-48 hours has been a godsend to me. I'm at 6 months post texlax. I also put shea butter on all the new growth down to a little past the line of demarcation and on just the ends. Then I seal from roots to tips with evoo. After that, I dry on cold with an ionic blowdrier or just airdry. I've noticed much more growth/retention since I started washing 4-5x/wk as opposed to once or twice. I wasn't sure about all that washing at first, but it has worked!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am in! At first, I was going to do this with heat stretched hair. Today I was able to put flat twists in my hair with no problem!:clap: The heat damage is more pronounced on my left side, but I am confident that this can help me carry through until I end my transition. I need to transition for at least 18 more months. I'm trying to reach my goals at 6 month intervals. My first goal will be next Saturday. That will mark the first 6 months of this transition. I'm attempting personal protective style challenge for myself for a year of my transition. I'm hoping to make up my mind on whether to be a strait haired natural or one who will mostly rock protective styles.

BrickbyBrick

Sigh....
So I washed my hair yesterday and SO saw all the stringy ends and was like "want me to get the shears?". and that was that. relaxed hair is gone.
guess I'm out. and I just joined yesterday, lol!! Sorry, smiley79. I wish luck to everyone in here.

gymfreak336

Hi Ladies.

I haven't decided whether I will transition yet or not but right now I have been able to achieve the fresh relaxed look with the mizani thermasmooth system. I find that the products when used correctly really help straighten the hair with adequate protection. I have also used other smoothing systems with great results like the Lanza one.

I really think the key when wanting to straighten the hair out is taking your time and using quality tools. I have been using a shower comb and denman brush to detangle the hair and I don't attempt to detangle until after I am letting the conditioner cool off (From being under the dryer for no more than 30 mins). Also, if you really practice with your denman brush and how to position your brush to get alot of tension on the hair, you really won't need as much heat. Really IMO, the tension is what makes a difference.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Ok, I'm only 2 weeks post texlax, and I will be using BKT to assist in my transition. I will be trying to transition for 18 months-two years. I am also transitioning my daughters (ages 11 and 14) using BKT. Every time I start inching toward the scissors, I'm gonna need one of you to slap the bejesus outta me and snatch the scissors outta my hand! :look: You have my permission!:lachen:

finickyone

I'm in!

I just realized that the 17th, which was yesterday makes it one year since my last relaxer. I had thought I would bc this month, but things are moving along fine, so I will just continue with this transition. Last Saturday, I roller set, then flat ironed for the first time since my transition & I was pleased how full & thick my hair is. My husband thought I was wearing a straight wig. After attending my daughter's soccer game, I looked a hot mess. It was pretty humid, so all of that hard work down the drain. I have not even had the urge to wear my hair straight, so its no telling how long it will be before I flat iron again. I am now wearing a half curly afro type wig that blends wonderfully with my transitioning hair.