My hair LOVES protein!

humblebyHIM

PS:BSL 2016
I have been away for LHCF for a couple of years. Between post partum depression and dealing with my natural hair. UGH!!!!

Anyway, I am back on my journey for BSL 4c hair. I have been on every bandwagon there has been posted. I am proud to say "My journey is not anyone's journey".:lachen: I had to learn that because it took me a while to realize my hair LOVES protein products. I gain and retain length when I use them. :grin:

Right now I use megatek in my hair every day with qhemet bio logics' Amla & olive heavy cream and JBCO. I co wash my hair with a cheap conditioner once a week in braids. And I am hiding my hair in cornrows under lace front wigs until January 2015.

Just want to know if I am the only one who hair LOVES protein?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@humblyhim

My hair loves protein, too! You're right, you have to listen to your hair and let what "she" tells you , guide your journey.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Lilmama1011

I honestly don't know because I fear using too much. But I currently use hask placenta no rinse every wash day and deep condition with a moisture based conditioner. And hask would be a hard protein and I can see less breakage with daily manipulation. I was avoiding hard proteins. I will try this wash day (if the conditioners I ordered is here ) using a protein conditioner and hask after to see how my hair responds. The conditioner would be a hard protein because bananas are at the top of the ingredients. But I will try doing this once a month. And the rest using strictly moisturizing conditioners along with that dose of protein from hask

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am also 4b/c and my hair loves protein. I use Aphogee keratin spray every other day. I dc with Nexxus Emergencee when I feel my hair needs it. I use heat (Dominican blowouts) every 2-3 months so protein is needed to keep my hair strong and healthy

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Mine too! I think. Lol. I get mushy hair when it's wet if I go without protein for too long. When I do deep condition with protein my curls pop more. So I prefer protein in my products but I keep protein free ones on hand too.

Destiny9109

Me! I use a reconstructor every week and a protein leave in. Even my moisturizing dc usually has to have protein in it.

krissyc39

My hair loves protein too but it's weird. My ends (which should be the thirstiest for protein) are the most finicky about it. I've never actually have moisture overload though either so I guess 1-2x weekly light protein/deep condition works for me.

OP do you wet your hair daily? I'd love to incorporate more protein in my routine but its already a struggle for my hair to dry completely...

Shay72

Natural, 4A
My hair :love: protein too. Matter of fact I need to buy some Hydrolized Wheat Protein to add to my protein cowash conditioners. Give them a little boost. Also I spray Hydrolized wheat protein right onto my hair under a protein dc or as part of the "L" LOC method.

Umm Ebraheem

My hair has no problem with protein. I use Komaza Care's protein treatment and when I leave it on my hair my curls look fantastic. I use it every other week. I'm thinking about going back to a leave-in with protein too now that I realize my hair does better with it than without it.

ikandi87

I have been away for LHCF for a couple of years. Between post partum depression and dealing with my natural hair. UGH!!!!

Anyway, I am back on my journey for BSL 4c hair. I have been on every bandwagon there has been posted. I am proud to say "My journey is not anyone's journey".:lachen: I had to learn that because it took me a while to realize my hair LOVES protein products. I gain and retain length when I use them. :grin:

Right now I use megatek in my hair every day with qhemet bio logics' Amla & olive heavy cream and JBCO. I co wash my hair with a cheap conditioner once a week in braids. And I am hiding my hair in cornrows under lace front wigs until January 2015.

My hair has never met a protein it didnt love. I love the protein packs, the hardcore ones and reconstructors...

How to u maintain ur braids? I just made a lace closure wig a few days ago and my braids are getting frizzy already...I fear breakage

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I wish mine did. I can rarely use my WN Finishing lotion. My hair starts to feel like straw after while so I chill with the applications.

Kentmane

humblebyHIM

How are you finding the Megatek, I am assuming it is the new one with flowers?
I use it everyday on my scalp, my hair has thickened and I still DC with protein and my hair has improved tremendously.

i have relaxed 4b hair. I DC 2x a week and cowash 5-6x a week.

Soratachi

Protein is my best friend.

But last week I did a mistake, I did not rinse out very well my high in hydrolized kerating weekly DC.

My scalp itched and my hair was stiff, properrly rinsing out is key and I learned the hard way. :lachen:

I also use a very diluted Curl activator gel as my spray leave in, it has silk amino acid. :lick:

veesweets

Mine too! Didn't expect to be dealing with moisture overload as a natural if my hair doesnt get weekly or bi-weekly protein lol.

Silverstreaks

My hair loves it, too. My staple is the Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor by Nexxus. I use it full strength periodically. I also created 2 diluted versions as leave-ins: one mixture of 1 part Emergency with a small amount of keratin amino acids, soy protein, and hydrolyzed keratin, with the rest being water. The other mixture is 1 part Emergency, 2 parts glycerin and the rest is water. I have them in squirt bottles. I use each one as my hair requires. Best thing I could have done for it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Yes, my hair loves Keratin, silk protein, collagen, and wheat. I use a light to medium protein ever week to every other week. I also use a strong protein every couple months.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

Dilettante

Me too! My hair seems to be impervious to protein overload - it drinks up Aphogee 2 Step and every other protein I've tried. Probably because my hair is baby fine and the protein gives it some much needed strength. I also use henna for a different kind of strength.

irisak

I was going to make a post just like this:yep:. It's crazy how much my hair adores protein and it's far from damaged it just hates moisture. When I use too much moisture it actually makes my hair hard and strawlike :ohwell:. I find ORS replenshing conditioner and aphogee 2 minute too moisturizing. Recently, I switched to using ORS hair mayo 1-2 times a week with Cantu shea butter as a moisturizer, and my hair still got moisture overload and needed an Aphogee 2 step. And when I aphogee, my hair actually feels soft BEFORE the moisturizing conditioner. I even co-wash with mane and tail conditioner. I tell everyone who asks though, my protein needs are atypical please don't try this at home .:nono: Folks running around all protein sensitive and had me scared to use protein at the start of my hair journey. I avoided it for months and my hair almost left me :drunk:. I had to give it a make up aphogee to make things right and I have incorporated it ever since. I think I'm going to start calling myself moisture sensitive:lachen:.

humblebyHIM

My hair has never met a protein it didnt love. I love the protein packs, the hardcore ones and reconstructors... How to u maintain ur braids? I just made a lace closure wig a few days ago and my braids are getting frizzy already...I fear breakage

I don't mind the fuzz. I rebraid my cornrows every other week on wash day.

krissyhair

I was thinking about this thread after some celebrity stylist (the Australian one with the blonde hair) on Dr. Oz said that everyone should use a leave-in conditioner that has keratin in the first 5 ingredients. I did some research comparing three leave-ins, Chi Keratin Mist, It's a 10 Miracle leave-in + keratin and Aphoge keratin and green tea.

By far the best value for the ingredients was Aphoge. It has keratin as the second ingredient after water, and cost the least.

humblebyHIM

My hair loves protein too but it's weird. My ends (which should be the thirstiest for protein) are the most finicky about it. I've never actually have moisture overload though either so I guess 1-2x weekly light protein/deep condition works for me. OP do you wet your hair daily? I'd love to incorporate more protein in my routine but its already a struggle for my hair to dry completely...

Yes, I spritz my hair 2x a day with juices & berries by oyin. I have VERY dry hair. Drinks up EVERYTHING! These are my staple products.

image-1990898749.jpg

NaturalBoss

My hair loves protein too. I'm currently using ORS Mayo and my hair loves it. I'm gonna get some of the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea spray this weekend.

xu93texas

My hair loves protein as well. Depending on what I feel my hair needs, I'm currently rotating Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor, Affirm 5 and 1 Reconstructor, or Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus once a week. Even my moisturizing DC (Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm has protein in it) I use this after every protein treatment.

I also use It's a 10 or Redken Extreme Anti-snap for my leave in conditioners.

lux10023

i think my hair does as well--but I've been slacking--i have to up my protein--i think I'm over moisturizing my hair---making it to soft...

i will do a nexxus emergence treatment this wknd...