Can I do just a FEW highlights around the face?

LawyerBarbie07

Hi all! I'm getting the itch, my hair is healthy, growing and looking good but I'm absolutely sick of this dark black bigen. I feel like I need a little color, just around my face...and so since I'm in need of a trim I'm thinking of going to the salon to get just a few highlights around my face.

Anyone have any thoughts? Before I started my healthy hair journey I had a BAD time with color...but I was using an African Pride Highlight kit on my own hair...lol. :ohwell:

Can someone either encourage me or talk me down off of the ledge?

Thanks guys!

Nonie

Do you have a picture of what you're going for? I don't know anything about color or highlights but maybe if we saw the look you're considering, I could tell you what I think of it.

Also make sure if you do go through with it you do your homework and go to someone whose work you've seen and whom you know will treat your hair with care and do the coloring right. Having had a bad experience with color, it would be a darn shame if history repeated itself. Remember, just coz a stylists hair looks on point, doesn't mean she's good at doing the same to your hair. She may be getting her hair done by another pro. Take your time deciding/researching so you don't regret an impromptu move.

homegirljiggy

you can do whatever you please to your hair... jusy make sure you moisturize and seal, and deep condition... you know the rules:yawn:

Trace

Do you have a picture of what you're going for? I don't know anything about color or highlights but maybe if we saw the look you're considering, I could tell you what I think of it.

Also make sure if you do go through with it you do your homework and go to someone whose work you've seen and whom you know will treat your hair with care and do the coloring right. Having had a bad experience with color, it would be a darn shame if history repeated itself. Remember, just coz a stylists hair looks on point, doesn't mean she's good at doing the same to your hair. She may be getting her hair done by another pro. Take your time deciding/researching so you don't regret an impromptu move.

I can't tell you how true the above statement is. You really need someone who is professional and understands the science of color, especially if the hair is dark. They'll need to know how to lift and deposit color properly so your highlights are not brassy/red, which is exactly what happened to me. :sad:

chiprecious

Hi all! I'm getting the itch, my hair is healthy, growing and looking good but I'm absolutely sick of this dark black bigen. I feel like I need a little color, just around my face...and so since I'm in need of a trim I'm thinking of going to the salon to get just a few highlights around my face.

Anyone have any thoughts? Before I started my healthy hair journey I had a BAD time with color...but I was using an African Pride Highlight kit on my own hair...lol. :ohwell:

Can someone either encourage me or talk me down off of the ledge?

Thanks guys!

Personally I would NEVER do a lift over black hair unless I was aiming to do a BC. I hope that's not too negative, but it's too risky for the health of your hair. IMHO I'd make some attachable hair wefts with the color I wanted, clip those bad boys in, and have color wherever I wanted.

It's healthiet at least until your own hair grows out. PLUS, with winter coming, your hair will naturally be dryer.