How often do you comb your hair and how much hair?

Chimma

How often do you comb your hair and how much hair is on your comb?

Just curious.

I enjoy combing my hair, but I wonder if I am combing too much - I wonder if I cause excess hair loss, because I don't seem to notice much difference on the comb whether I comb every day or every 3 days. I comb my hair approximately every one or two days w/ the K-Cutter. I dampen it with water from a spray bottle, keep it well conditioned, and comb out. I have hair a few inches below shoulder length with about 7 of those inches natural. It's not difficult for me to comb, and probably takes about 10-15 minutes, but is this recommended? Should I be combing twice a day or be trying to stretch my combouts out longer? Is there a change in the recommendation for natural hair?

Ayeshia

It totally depends on you. I think you shoul strtch your combouts though if you can. When I was relaxed I combed/brushed my hair into a LOOSE pony or a braid at night and tied a scarf on my head. In the morning, there was no need to comb my hair because it stayed in place. I did this when I was natural too. Now that Im natural again, i keep forgetting that its best to dampen my hair or spray it before i comb as oppsed to my relaxed hair when it wasnt necessary.

karezone

I comb about 2-3 times a day and I really don't pay attention to the hair in the comb instead, I listen really closely as I pull the comb through my hair and if I hair breaking, I know that it is time for a conditioning treatment.

But I have drastically cut back on brushing. I only brush once a day, and that is to smooth my wrap at night.

DragonPearl

I only comb my hair when I am detangling it at washing time, after it has been soaking with conditioner from 5 minutes to 1 hour. Then, I DON'T comb it anymore until the next wash, unless I am twisting my hair. In that case, when I am ready to twist, I will comb out each section before twisting. Since using the K-cutter, I don't find that much hair in my comb.
In between shampoo, I don't do any hairstyle that requires combing my hair. I am convinced not combing my hair between wash has contributed greatly to its growth.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
I only comb my hair when I am detangling it at washing time, after it has been soaking with conditioner from 5 minutes to 1 hour. Then, I DON'T comb it anymore until the next wash, unless I am twisting my hair. In that case, when I am ready to twist, I will comb out each section before twisting. Since using the K-cutter, I don't find that much hair in my comb.
In between shampoo, I don't do any hairstyle that requires combing my hair. I am convinced not combing my hair between wash has contributed greatly to its growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA thats why i am trying to cut down on combing as much as possible

nijilah

Although I wash my hair twice per week, I comb my hair once a week after having left conditioner in it for at least 1/2 hour.

lunalight7

I comb the length once a day but as the new growth increases, I only comb from root to tip once a week while wet with conditioner under the stream of water in the shower with a wide toothed comb (dang that was a long sentence...)

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
I comb on wash days with the help of conditioner but thanks to you ladies, I'll wait for 30 mins before combing through.
On non wash days, I don't comb unless necessary (using redken's anti-snap cos I'm 13wks post relaxer) but brush my fine textured hair with an old toothbrush (still searching for a decent tool with toothbrush like bristles so I can brush in the presence of folks without blushing
)
Forgot to add, length = about 5" from bra strap (finally measured
)

LABETT

I comb thru my hair once a day when not wearing a drawstring ponytail.
I only lose a couple of strand since using surge when combing.

inthepink

I generally comb my hair twice a day. In the morning, I comb it into a style with my widest tooth bone comb. In the evenings before bed, I part it down the middle, lightly comb it and braid it for the night.

ChasingBliss

If finger combing counts, I do it twice a day. Both of these times include the undoing of my bun to moisturize in the morning and evening. I detangle on wash days (every 4 day).

henrilou

I have tangly 4 a/b hair. The first week after its freshly pressed I comb it because the comb is like a massage on my scalp. After that... nope. I use my fingers to wrap it and bun it in the morning. Sometimes I'll use a bristle brush for smoothing(ONLY lightly-- not brushing down to the root--that will pull the hair out)

mslionheart

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do. My hair is happiest with minimal manipulation. I don't think you have to comb just for the sake of combing, unless you're going for a particular style.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Wow really? I would love to not comb for a month! I think I'll try it!!

I'm bobbing my head while really thinking about this LOl:giggle:.

Thank you, you may have enhanced my future retention...seriously.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
On wash day only so once every 2 weeks, only as needed (I'll comb some sections to get all the shed hair out).

FoxxyLocs

I only comb my hair to detangle, so once or twice a month. Unless it's straight, then I comb every few days. I usually lose a lot of hair, but I have a lot of hair too so it's no big deal. Nothing alarming.