TWA Support Thread

APrayer4Hair

faithVA and everyone

Lately I've been loving quick coils (several videos on YT). I use my kimmaytube LI and Eco styler blue. It looks like finger coils but done with a hairbrush.

My results:

image-3364342973.jpg

Kinda smushed in this pic

image-1447126938.jpg

Very simple and not as boring as my usual WnG

JudithO

Seriously ladies... I wish I had a smaller head/looked good in a TWA... All hair is so much work.. relaxed.. natural... bla... I look like a boy with a big ol head in a TWA... I'd forever have short hair...

faithVA

Seriously ladies... I wish I had a smaller head/looked good in a TWA... All hair is so much work.. relaxed.. natural... bla... I look like a boy with a big ol head in a TWA... I'd forever have short hair...

Yeah that's pretty much how I look. Unless its shaved very close, I look like a boy with a big ol head. If I slick the hair back in the front then I look more feminine at least to me.

When I first started wearing my twa years ago, this old white guy was trying to ask me a question. He looked at my earrings and said excuse me ma'am (yeah i'm in the south), then he looked at my hair and said um, sir, then he looked at my breast and said ma'am :lachen: I was so tickled. He was trying to get it right but was so confused. :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
dachsies_rule! said:
I don't know if i still have a TWA or not...what is the cut off length for a TWA, how many inches?

who knows dachsies_rule! Before I bc'd, my back layers were like 1.5" shy of collar bone. Top near sl. And shrunk? Barely 2" at the longest layers. now my longest stretched is at the bottom of my neck and el at the crown. I consider myself a twa cuz I can't even grab this mess into a thumb size pony. Lol

faithVA

I think once your NL, it's no longer a TWA because you now have another measure you can use and can move to another category and actually enter challenges moving towards the goal of SL. In saying that, it's just my opinion. So if you want to consider it a TWA I'm not going to tell anyone.

kupenda

@faithVA it should be!
it really has been awhile. you shoulda seen my face when i saw your name here. I was like :shocked::shocked::shocked:
Why did you chop? Did something happen?

faithVA

@faithVA it should be!
it really has been awhile. you shoulda seen my face when i saw your name here. I was like :shocked::shocked::shocked:
Why did you chop? Did something happen?

I had the hair analysis done and she told me my hair was severely heat damaged and not repairable so I had to cut. She said I only had 1 to 3" of healthy hair left. The damage caused mid strand splits which ate their way all the way up my strands. So here I am :yep:

But I am glad there both old and new faces in here. :yep:

Your hair looks cute and curly.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
1. BC date -Didn't bc chemo took my hair and it's starting to grow back

2. Hair type/ describe your hair- I have no clue it was a 4a/3c before

3. Reggie/Products- Im not sure what to do but i decided to go back to washing once a week with chagrin valley shampoo and co-washing every other day. When it gets a little longer i will add pre-pooing with vatika and tresseme naturals and steaming with wheatgerm oil and aubrey organics

4. Goal(s) -MBL

prettybyrd

Nice to see I'm in such good company! I chopped off that awful heat damage in March, and now I'm at about five inches all around except for this little mutant hair that's almost seven inches. :) faithVA, I really like the shape of your hair in your avatar pic.

faithVA

1. BC date -Didn't bc chemo took my hair and it's starting to grow back

2. Hair type/ describe your hair- I have no clue it was a 4a/3c before

3. Reggie/Products- Im not sure what to do but i decided to go back to washing once a week with chagrin valley shampoo and co-washing every other day. When it gets a little longer i will add pre-pooing with vatika and tresseme naturals and steaming with wheatgerm oil and aubrey organics

4. Goal(s) -MBL

Welcome and :bighug: May you have a beautiful head of hair.

faithVA

[USER=74941 said:
prettybyrd[/USER];16571991]Nice to see I'm in such good company! I chopped off that awful heat damage in March, and now I'm at about five inches all around except for this little mutant hair that's almost seven inches. :) @faithVA, I really like the shape of your hair in your avatar pic.

Thank You. I tried :lol: Self cutting is rough.

What length did you cut to in March? I was only 4 to 5" before I cut. So that's puff territory for me.

prettybyrd

Thank You. I tried :lol: Self cutting is rough.

What length did you cut to in March? I was only 4 to 5" before I cut. So that's puff territory for me.

It looks good for a self cut. You have a nice hairline, so that helps, too.

My first and only self cut was a HAM! I felt like a million bucks but looked like a buck and half. :lachen: Won't be doing that again!

When I got my hair cut in March I only had 1/4' all around (I think...might be a little more than that, I can't find my growth chart). I started out with about 9 or 10 inches of heat damaged hair that was going to "transition", but I got impatient.

faithVA

[USER=74941 said:
prettybyrd[/USER];16572567]It looks good for a self cut. You have a nice hairline, so that helps, too.

My first and only self cut was a HAM! I felt like a million bucks but looked like a buck and half. :lachen: Won't be doing that again!

When I got my hair cut in March I only had 1/4' all around (I think...might be a little more than that, I can't find my growth chart). I started out with about 9 or 10 inches of heat damaged hair that was going to "transition", but I got impatient.

So you went from 1/4" to 5 inches from March until now? for real? That's a loooot of growth. I would love to have an inch a month.

Last edited:

kupenda

@fathVA you had heat damage? how? you used to straighten? why dont i remember that? odd. well im glad youre all about healthy hair instead of length. health is so much more important and rewarding

faithVA

[USER=305268 said:
kupenda[/USER];16573191]@fathVA you had heat damage? how? you used to straighten? why dont i remember that? odd. well im glad youre all about healthy hair instead of length. health is so much more important and rewarding

I've straightened 3 times since I started growing my hair out in 2009. The first time I straightened it was before joining LHCF Dec 2009. That's when I got hit damage. But since I had never heard of heat damage I didn't know that I had it. I didn't know there was something wrong with my hair until I took my extensions out in July 2010. I wore extensions from Jan to July. So I thought my hair was damaged from the braids :ohwell:

Then I straightened again in April 2011 (length check) :ohwell: and then September 2011 (another length check). I never wore my hair straight. I straightened it for the length check and then put it back into twists :nono:

But since my hair was damaged from the beginning I didn't accurately associate the damage to the pressing. And my hair never hung straight like I saw other heat damaged heads do. My hair still curled up the same. Without the analysis I would have never known.

So I got heat damage for a 5 minute picture :look: :nono:

faithVA

Whoa @faithVA! I reckon the iron/comb was really freakin hot or is your hair sensitive? This makes me nervous...:sad:

I really don't know which it is. Before the 1st time in 2009 you have to realize that the last time my hair was straightened before that was probably 1977 :look: Girl what do I know about heat. :lachen:

But you have to also remember that this was pre LHCF so I wouldn't have known about the proper way of prepping the hair before using heat or about which heat protectants to use. I didn't know anything like that.

But I don't plan on using heat in the future. I may use a blow dryer on cool or a regular dryer but that is it for me. The few times a year I want straight hair for a day I will find other ways to get it, even if I have to buy it :look: :lachen:

prettybyrd

So you went from 1/4" to 5 inches from March until now? for real? That's a loooot of growth. I would love to have an inch a month.

Yes, ma'm, one inch. I was really dedicated to the GHE method. It does work, but I can tell you that one inch is not my normal. Plus I've been working out, losing weight and taking my vitamins, so maybe I can continue to eek out at least 3/4 a month. :)

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yes, ma'm, one inch. I was really dedicated to the GHE method. It does work, but I can tell you that one inch is not my normal. Plus I've been working out, losing weight and taking my vitamins, so maybe I can continue to eek out at least 3/4 a month. :)
Thanks to this prettybyrd, I'm attempting my first GHE tonight. I'll give it a go for the next cpl weeks and see....

faithVA

@faithVA GHE- greenhouse effect. Covering the hair with a plastic bag over night. The heat from UR body creates steaming effect. (I think)

Ok that's what I thought. Can't do the whole baggying overnight. It kills my scalp. Maybe I will try 1 hour and see if that makes a difference.

Lynn84

Hi Ladies!!

B.C: Yesterday! 8/7/12

Hair Type: 4a (I think)

Reggie: Cowash with Everyday Shea 2x per week, Deep Conditioner Biolage 1x per week, Giovanni Direct leave in, and Avocado Oil.

Goal: SL

My reggie was the one I had while transitioning. Should I keep it or totally change it? I do plan to experiment as much as I can with different products but I'm wondering should I go in a whole different direction now that its all natural.

prettybyrd

Here's my answers: I figure I should answer them since I'm in the thread already! :)

1. BC date - March 14, 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair - hmmm...I'm no good at hair typing, but I guess I'm a 4-something. My hair is coily (some curls, mostly coils), naturally shiny, and medium texture and density.

3. Reggie/Products
M-Sa - rinse with water, apply Komaza Jojoba Hemp Oil, then Coconut Hair Milk as needed. (I'm using up my stash, so I won't be buying any more Komaza until I'm out of everything else, so right now I'm using b.a.s.k. Java Bean and Honey Hair Balm. My products will change until I've used up my current stash, but the routine stays the same)
Sunday - wash with Henna sooq sweet honey poo bar (or black soap), DC with Komaza Olive Moisture mask
Three nights a week I use JBCO throughout my hair and bag it up.

4. Goal(s) - My ultimate goal is HL. My immediate goal is to have fun styling this little fro.

And I don't know ladies, this short hair is VERY easy to deal with after a workout...I may be loving my TWA too much!

Last edited: