TWA Support Thread

MzRhonda

Today I just cowashed and used Silicon Mix and had great results. I didn’t think it could be that simple.

MsGoody531

It has been YEARS since I have been on this side of the board..

I REALLY am considering a super short taper cut.. I have been natural for FOREVER.. As to be 10 years or more..

I have had SL - BSL- MBL hair.. HONESTLY, I am not a hair person.. Like, I need for it to be done, but me not do it!

I'm a lazy hair person, which is why WIGS are my Bae...

I have let my hair get to the point it started dreading at times..

I now have two daughters with ALL of this hair, which I faithfully take care of ...

However, this would have to be a FIERCE style and Easy to maintain.. I have an image and I never could see myself wearing my natural hair out because it just didn't go with how polished I present myself. However, these new styles I have seen, I feel I could really fit me and be a little edgy..

I guess, I could cut and if it doesn't look right wear my wigs and no one would know..

However, I would LOVE To not have to wear all the time..

Can anyone help me with ideas or suggestions... Just talk to me straight!

My hair is 4a/4b I guess.. My stylist says my hair is soft, but it NEVER holds a style unless those twist or braid be setting for a week or so..

FadingDelilah

I REALLY am considering a super short taper cut.. I have been natural for FOREVER.. As to be 10 years or more..

I have had SL - BSL- MBL hair.. HONESTLY, I am not a hair person.. Like, I need for it to be done, but me not do it!

I now have two daughters with ALL of this hair, which I faithfully take care of ...

However, this would have to be a FIERCE style and Easy to maintain.. I have an image and I never could see myself wearing my natural hair out because it just didn't go with how polished I present myself. However, these new styles I have seen, I feel I could really fit me and be a little edgy..

I guess, I could cut and if it doesn't look right wear my wigs and no one would know..

My hair is 4a/4b I guess.. My stylist says my hair is soft, but it NEVER holds a style unless those twist or braid be setting for a week or so..

I wouldn't cut it. The awkward stage is a terrible monster if you ever want to grow it back out again. Why don't you try roller sets or natural updos? There are so many elegant natural styles. Is there any chance you'll just get bored right after cutting your hair and actually regret it? That happens to a lot of people. These are things to consider.

MsGoody531

@FadingDelilah - Thanks for this.. I cut my hair off in January because of dreading episode.. I mean I had about 3 or 4 inches of hair and shorter in the back after I got finished.. That was just me using regular scissors..

It's always hidden under my wigs, so no one ever knows what I do with my hair. LOL..

I don't think I will regret this if it doesn't work out... I WANT it too though...I REALLY do... I just need to find something I can slay with not too much effort..

FadingDelilah

@FadingDelilah - Thanks for this.. I cut my hair off in January because of dreading episode.. I mean I had about 3 or 4 inches of hair and shorter in the back after I got finished.. That was just me using regular scissors..

It's always hidden under my wigs, so no one ever knows what I do with my hair. LOL..

I don't think I will regret this if it doesn't work out... I WANT it too though...I REALLY do... I just need to find something I can slay with not too much effort..

Okay, so its already short?

oneastrocurlie

As I'm growing out a tapered cut myself I'm realizing the longer it gets the more effort it will require. Idk what effortless long natural 4 type hair looks like. Lol.

If you already know you're prone let it dread from not wanting to do it I'd vote keeping it short.

metro_qt

Heyyyy @MsGoody531
I am in your exact same boat.... I just did this last year.

I was natural for about 15 years, and wore wigs most of the time.
I had 2 horrible dreading episodes, not from neglect, but just different textures matting together on my head and not knowing how to care for my long hair.

My hair was waist length...and I just really couldn't handle it/maintain it/didn't really care/had a career where I didn't have time to be fussing with my hair...so i kept it wigged up 24/7.

Last september I cut it all off.

I now wear wash n gos all of the time, and short hair is such a treat!

The best thing stylewise that I've done was to go to the Curly Girl salon in my city and get a curly tapered cut...

I'll be growing this out for the next while until i feel I need a change....

Eta, i did the same thing as you and cut my hair with regular scissors.... it was all of 3 inches...super short all over except for the top, where I had just grabbed chunks and cut...

MsGoody531

@FadingDelilah - Yes, it's about 4 or 5 inches all over, I think in some areas..

@oneastrocurlie - Thanks for this Sis!

OMG... @metro_qt ... I mean.. How did you feel wearing your hair out. I am super confident, but THIS RIGHT HERE got me SHOOK. I'm questioning my HAIR.. my STYLE.. MY Everything because Im so used to being ... I know you understand what I am talking about! I am being dramatic, I just WANT it to be FIYAH!

Do you have pics that you can share? Did you color? I REALLY would like to put a little color in there..

When people have been used to seeing you in wigs for years.. and YOU seeing youself in wigs for years.. wearing out a SUPER short style is a little daunting..

metro_qt

@FadingDelilah - Yes, it's about 4 or 5 inches all over, I think in some areas..

OMG... @metro_qt ... I mean.. How did you feel wearing your hair out. I am super confident, but THIS RIGHT HERE got me SHOOK. I'm questioning my HAIR.. my STYLE.. MY Everything because Im so used to being ... I know you understand what I am talking about! I am being dramatic, I just WANT it to be FIYAH!

Do you have pics that you can share? Did you color? I REALLY would like to put a little color in there..

When people have been used to seeing you in wigs for years.. and YOU seeing youself in wigs for years.. wearing out a SUPER short style is a little daunting..
Lol @MsGoody531
Of course I have pics... i was trying to post them earlier but this site wouldn't let me be great.
Lolol
I will try reposting in this thread again this evening.

And yeah, I feel you, coming from all of my different wigs and personalities, I wasn't sure about wearing my own hair...I had never even done a wash n go before september.... I didn't even own gel!!!!

Ask me anything...lol I will take you through my ups and downs, in 2 months, it'll be a full year of me being natural and wigless!!!

k_enitan

Lol @MsGoody531
Of course I have pics... i was trying to post them earlier but this site wouldn't let me be great.
Lolol
I will try reposting in this thread again this evening.

And yeah, I feel you, coming from all of my different wigs and personalities, I wasn't sure about wearing my own hair...I had never even done a wash n go before september.... I didn't even own gel!!!!

Ask me anything...lol I will take you through my ups and downs, in 2 months, it'll be a full year of me being natural and wigless!!!

I am about to do this myself, but in my case I have been stuck under the wig due to scalp issues. I have that mostly under control and my hair has grown out some (3-5 inches), though very uneven and with some dreading.

I want to colour / have it evened out and I was just researching salons for kinky hair in Toronto so @metro_qt ’s post is like a gift lol.

Do you think Curly Girl salon can hande very kinky/thin 4z hair, this is the one in Thornhill, right? And do you have an idea of the cost for a cut/color?

TIA

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
That means some big things are in progress. Or, a big change is coming for you. Look at all that THICKNESS in that afro! :)

:grin: :grin: :grin: I receive it ma'am :D. Thank you so much for your encouraging words. My co-workers have been very encouraging, but they've never known me with long hair. I had been feeling so uncomfortable for the last couple of months, that I always wore a headscarf. Now I have more options: yesterday I sported a finger coil out, they loved it.

People who have known me with long hair are not that encouraging. I never knew it would be so hard to explain to people that I simply do not have 3h/week to allocate to hair anymore. I'm in another phase in my womanhood life. Oh well :).