Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

greenandchic

I've done both ... the bentonite clay mask was actually really good ... but I wasn't able to detangle my hair while the clay was on like I am with the terressential hair wash

I wonder if it would work if we diluted the clay with aloe juice...

LadyMacgyver

I will probably just try out a Mud shampoo bar. I cannot justify spending $19.50 for the Terressentials Mud wash.:nono:

Bee Mine has a version as does Chagrin Valley.

Chagrin Valley - Mud & Clay shampoo bar, $7.25 for 6.2 to 7.2 ounces (average size 6.8 oz)
http://www.chagrinvalleysoap.com/shambar.htm

Bee Mine bar $8 for 4 oz-4.5oz
http://www.beemineproducts.com/products/Bee-Mine-%2d-Purity-Rhassoul-Clay-Clarifying-Bar.html (out of stock)

Henna Sooq has the shampoo bar and I tried it but I still used my Juicy leave in to get my hair moisturized afterwards.. Just use to using that or shea butter.. I did DC.. So I need to use the wash to see how they compare.. When I used the soap my hair had this almost squeeky clean feeling hard to explain.. My hair was easy to detangle.. I have gotten stuff b4 that was $18.00 right by itself without shipping.. So I just say I will give it a try and also they do offer trial size not just on the shipping for that..

I even used Naturalista Black Soap yesterday and it had that almost squeeky clean feeling almost when I touched my hair it wasn't like it was when I would co-wash just had a different feeling.. I think when I co-wash I can touch my hair its like a slick feeling if I touch my hair going towards the ends but with the shampoo bar it didn't have that feeling.. It's hard to explain but it wasn't hard either.. I guess it was more clean..

Also I thought I heard some ladies say they got their from whole foods.. Did Naptural85 say that on her video.. Not sure.. I checked the Earth Fare in my location and didn't see any not sure if I'm correct

Last edited:

JerriBlank

I wish Whole Foods had it. Anyhoo,I'm gonna order one of the smaller sizes when I take my braids down. I don't need it right now. This looks awesome though. I already know I wouldn't get the ratios and process right,so I'm just gonna save myself some money and let them do it.:lol:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I am also a Terressentials mud wash user. I did the 7 day detox although I have been using the Lavender Garden for months. faithVA convinced me to do the detox and I'm so glad that I did because my hair is totally different than before. I have highly porous hair and none of my products were working to keep my hair from feeling dry. I also recommend the Left Coast Lemon because its more moisturizing then the Lavender Garden. I've used them both together and separate. I have less breakage, less shedding, a healthier scalp, and now I'm able to retain moisture. I now only do DC's when I feel like I need one but I probably don't need to DC because my hair feels really good afterwards. You also can use the mud wash as a DC. I usually apply it to my hair then add my heat cap and let it sit for 1 hr then rinse and my hair feels just like I did a deep conditioner. I don't have to use a leave-in any more either. I just use aloe/water in a spray bottle (for pH reasons 4.5) then I apply a shea/mango/cocoa butter mix. My hair finally air dries soft and before the mud wash my hair air dried crunchy. I've also seen some ladies on youtube who made their own version of the mud wash but they said the Terressentials mud wash is smoother and its easier to detangle then making your own :yep:. So IMO its worth paying for the shipping for a good product and it saves me money because now I'm not a product junkie anymore :yep:.

faithVA

So...after you use the mudwash, do you add a conditioner? leave-in? do a rinse of some sort? i know naptural 85 doesn't use ANY conditioner whatsoever. what about you guys?

So far no I haven't used a conditioner. I have just recently started using the product.
My old regimen was: prepoo (to detangle), shampoo, DC, oil rinse, leave-in, air dry, moisturize, apply gel and twists. I moisturized and sealed every day or every other day.

My new regimen is:
For right now my new regimen is mudwash, air dry, apply AVG/oil mix and unpetroleum jelly to each section and twists. I moisturize and seal every 3 to 4 days.

It's greatly reduce the steps in my regimen and the time to do my hair. I do plan on trying a DC 1x a month.

faithVA

I know that some ladies are on a budget and the price seems high, but consider that the mudwash eliminates a few products. If you are a product junkie :lol: or you just like to use varies products than now it won't benefit you in that way.

But now I can buy 1 bottle of mud wash which I can use for 2 to 3 months. I no longer need to buy conditioner, a leave in or a moisturizer. I am simplifying my product purchases to be mud wash, AVG, an oil, and wax which all last for months at a time. So for me over a year, there will be a tremendous cost savings even with the shipping. And not to include the saving in time. And I purchase several bottles of the mud wash at once so the shipping cost is split across several bottles.

It's not for everybody but it is working for me.

LadyMacgyver

I am also a Terressentials mud wash user. I did the 7 day detox although I have been using the Lavender Garden for months. faithVA convinced me to do the detox and I'm so glad that I did because my hair is totally different than before. I have highly porous hair and none of my products were working to keep my hair from feeling dry. I also recommend the Left Coast Lemon because its more moisturizing then the Lavender Garden. I've used them both together and separate. I have less breakage, less shedding, a healthier scalp, and now I'm able to retain moisture. I now only do DC's when I feel like I need one but I probably don't need to DC because my hair feels really good afterwards. You also can use the mud wash as a DC. I usually apply it to my hair then add my heat cap and let it sit for 1 hr then rinse and my hair feels just like I did a deep conditioner. I don't have to use a leave-in any more either. I just use aloe/water in a spray bottle (for pH reasons 4.5) then I apply a shea/mango/cocoa butter mix. My hair finally air dries soft and before the mud wash my hair air dried crunchy. I've also seen some ladies on youtube who made their own version of the mud wash but they said the Terressentials mud wash is smoother and its easier to detangle then making your own :yep:. So IMO its worth paying for the shipping for a good product and it saves me money because now I'm not a product junkie anymore :yep:.

The detox you did what exacty did you have to do? Wash your hair every 2-3 days. I think I might need to do that when I get mine.. I started to get the lemon wash but decided against it and got the lavendar

transitioning?

So u guys are saying that the mud wash gives you enough slip to detangle? Also for those that did why did u cut out your prepoo?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

greenandchic

So u guys are saying that the mud wash gives you enough slip to detangle? Also for those that did why did u cut out your prepoo?

That's what I'm wondering. Also, if that's the case, how long is your hair?

I can see that being possible with shorter hair, but once your hair reaches a certain length, the ends get old, etc and need more moisture (at least in my case).

I know naptural85 only needs 'juices and berries' for her hair, but to me she's an outlier in that case. :lachen:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
The detox you did what exacty did you have to do? Wash your hair every 2-3 days. I think I might need to do that when I get mine.. I started to get the lemon wash but decided against it and got the lavendar

I followed the directions with detoxing for 7 days. I'd wash my hair for the first 2 days 3 times back to back, then next 2 days 2 times back to back, then for the last 3 days I washed once each day. I only sealed with shea/mango mix then I wore my hair in a braid out or twist out or a banana clip bun. Now don't get me wrong, for me it was time consuming, but it was so worth it because my hair is now totally different than before the detox. My curls are even more defined since the detox. I wasn't sure if I was a 4a hair type, but since this detox I can definitely tell I'm a 4a because my curls are now ultra defined when its wet. I have also eliminated products with chemicals. I make my own shea butter mix, flax gel, and daily moisturizer. My hair feels better and it now retains moisture :yep:. However, I will be adding cones on my hair strands to protect my curl pattern when I flat iron my hair for length checks, but that's only twice a year. I more than likely will detox again after straightening my hair to get rid of the cones and chemicals :yep:.

faithVA

I wear my hair in mini twists. And I usually prepoo so I can get the mini twists out. There was no other way before :nono: And I prepooed with AVG and oil because conditioners don't give my hair slip. With the mudwash I don't prepoo, but I also don't detangle. I put the mudwash on (its diluted with water), I pull it through my hair and work the twists out that way. After I rinse I can now finger detangle which is enough.

And there is no reason to prepoo because my hair isn't dry before I shampoo and the mudwash doesn't dry it out.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram

I can see that being possible with shorter hair, but once your hair reaches a certain length, the ends get old, etc and need more moisture (at least in my case).

I know naptural85 only needs 'juices and berries' for her hair, but to me she's an outlier in that case. :lachen:

My hair is almost APL all over and I can detangle my hair with ease with this mud wash. I personally could never detangle my hair in the shower. I use to detangle my hair after I deep conditioned. Now I pretty much do the same thing, by detangling after I let the mud wash sit on my hair for about an 1hr. The mud wash really melt away the tangles and I actually have been finger detangling because I really don't need a tool to detangle any more. However, I don't have really thick hair but its not super thin either. Maybe some one with thicker hair can chime in about there detangling experience.

faithVA

My hair is between SL and APL. And I do understand what you mean about the ends. I have color on my ends so they are rebellious and I have 70 to 80% shrinkage so I don't let my hair dry without being up. I'm mostly 4B with some 4A.

The one thing I learned from tashboog is that the detox is required, using the shampoo without the detox doesn't work the same. And that even though we think we are shampooing ingredients off of our hair, there is still a residual that is sitting there interacting with other things on our hair.

Like I said before its not for everyone. But tashboog and I were really having an issue with overall dryness so for us it was worth the shot and it paid off.

We don't all have the same hair or in the same state. If what you are doing is working keep doing it. What we were doing wasn't working.

nakialovesshoes

Thanks ladies for this review! I'm excited. After much thought I'm tranisitioning (hair & general health as well) & I will be using soley all-natural products. I can't wait to try this product out. I will report back as soon as I do. Thanks again...

ETA: How often do you think you could use this weekly? I guess what I'm asking is, could this be used in the place of a co-wash? TIA...

transitioning?

faithVA you take out your mini twist in the shower with the mud product? That sounds like a lot of time spent standing in the shower

faithVA

Thanks ladies for this review! I'm excited. After much thought I'm tranisitioning (hair & general health as well) & I will be using soley all-natural products. I can't wait to try this product out. I will report back as soon as I do. Thanks again...

ETA: How often do you think you could use this weekly? I guess what I'm asking is, could this be used in the place of a co-wash? TIA...

You could use this every day. It is that gentle and moisturizing. But you aren't going to want to because you will go through product too fast. You will probably look for a less expensive product to use on a daily basis if you still decided you wanted to cleanse daily. Or you could really, really, really dilute your mudwash to just roll it through the hair for something like that.

I have way too much hair to cowash so I usually won't wet my hair more than 1x a week. :nono:

faithVA

Just for the record for anyone reading in the future, if you aren't interested in doing the 7 day detox or you really like using a lot of different products in your hair, save your money. It would just be a waste of your time and money. The mud wash without the detox just doesn't give you the same results to justify the cost of the product. And using a lot of synthetics after it just reduces the effectiveness. Just my opinion.

faithVA

@faithVA you take out your mini twist in the shower with the mud product? That sounds like a lot of time spent standing in the shower

:nono: No way. I must have written it wrong. I take out my 2 strand twists, section my hair into 6 sections, run my hair under water to get it wet. Or if I'm lazy I just spray it with water in a spray bottle. I wet my hair first to use less product. I then sit somewhere and apply the mud wash to each section. As I apply it, I pull through my hair to loosen the rest of the hair and stretch it out. The coils that made up my twist don't come out by themselves or with water.

I usually let it sit for an hour while I exercise or do something else just like I did when I DCd. I then rinse in sections, let it air dry and style it. Usually by the time I rinse the hair is mostly detangled. Since I wear my hair in twist, the rest of the detangles I can remove with my fingers while applying my AVG/oil mix and then sealing.

hair4today

Just for the record for anyone reading in the future, if you aren't interested in doing the 7 day detox or you really like using a lot of different products in your hair, save your money. It would just be a waste of your time and money. The mud wash without the detox just doesn't give you the same results to justify the cost of the product. And using a lot of synthetics after it just reduces the effectiveness. Just my opinion.
faithVA, for me the 7 day detox wasn't necessary. I used the TE mud shampoo similar to the way in which Naptural85 described it on her YouTube channel (as a weekly shampoo) and had instant success with it. Like I said earlier my hair was literally transformed. Defined, moisturized, popping curls -- couldn't believe it was the same head of hair. It's that amazing. Now I chose to go the non-detox route cause I used only natural products (Qhemet, KBB, SSI, Oyin, Enso) prior to starting with the wash so really didn't need to remove any chemicals, cones, etc. Also, I have fairly fine tresses and daily shampooing is way too much manipulation for my hair, this would have cause a ton of breakage plus in checking out the reviews on youtube and naturally curly forum, many claimed to be getting great results without doing a detox. So I think some can forgo detoxing depending on their personal hair needs/history. For me it worked out well and even with the outrageous shipping costs, purchasing this mud wash was money well spent.

Last edited:

LadyMacgyver

Now I'm going to have to figure out a good conditioner to mix with my Henna after I start doing the henna gloss so I won't get any conditioners with the cones in it. I guess it will still be ok to do the wash and then add the henna gloss afterwards.. Haven't heard much talk about that..

I'm half and half my co-wash conditioner has cones and my gel that is the only thing that I can think of that I use that is not all natural.. So not sure if I would need to do a 7 day detox or not but I plan to do a detox just not sure how many days.

ajoke

Is anybody in Europe using this? The reviews are so amazing that I would love to try it, but the shipping :no::no:

I guess I'll just have to wait until I go to the US again or until someone starts retailing in Europe.

JudithO

I just ordered it today... Ordered the Lemon coast one... Hope this fixes my chronically dry 4Z hair.. So sick and tired of trying out products... DC'ing doesn't even seem to help me...

LadyMacgyver

I ordered mine friday and got my notification saturday that it shipped so I should be receiving mine soon.. My hair is already clean but i might have to start using it soon as I get it..