Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

Fine 4s

I'm also not afraid of Shampoo anymore. I can say I use it. I noticed that tons of women with beautiful long natural hair use shampoo so I figure NOT using shampoo is not going to advance my hair growth any more or any less. I will still dilute the 'poo.

@Fine 4s: Have you tried a cleansing conditioner or sulfate-free shampoo?

I tried a sulfate-free shampoo years ago when I first started my journey (Burts Bees sulfate free something) and my hair was stiff so I turned away from 'poo. Then I tried Aveda Damage Remedy in 2010 and loved it. The next 'poo I used and still use because I bought a huge bottle was Design Essentials Moisture shampoo. Smells good too :) I haven't used a cleansing condish but I wanted to try and gentle daily cleansing poo.
Do you suggest these or have any recs? @spellinto

Last edited:

spellinto

I tried a sulfate-free shampoo years ago when I first started my journey (Burts Bees sulfate free something) and my hair was stiff so I turned away from 'poo. Then I tried Aveda Damage Remedy in 2010 and loved it. The next 'poo I used and still use because I bought a huge bottle was Design Essentials Moisture shampoo. Smells good too :) I haven't used a cleansing condish but I wanted to try and gentle daily cleansing poo.
Do you suggest these or have any recs? @spellinto

Fine 4s: I'm using the Hair One Cleansing Conditioner right now and I really like it :yep: I've tried a few sulfate-shampoos but I haven't found the *perfect* one yet. The cleansing conditioner works better for me.

Uofmpanther listed some recommendations a few posts above this one.

faithVA

Been on vacation. Hope to get it in gear this weekend. Haven't been doing any time of regimen for the past two weeks.

snoop

My rye flour experiment was a fail. Even though I used finely ground flour there were still too many bits in it -- not meant for type 4 hair. May try one more time, but sifting with pantyhose first, since I did like the slip. Overall it was like doing a mud wash except less messy and a lot quicker to prepare.

lamaria211

I'm almost 6 months post now so I'm trying to wash my hair only biweekly instead of weekly. To avoid unnecessary breakage and knots. My scalp is probably going to give me the most problems but I'm up for the challenge. I've been baggying almost daily and it seems to be helping with moisture retention

snoop

The temperature has dropped so I've gone back to baggying.

I also did a water rinse yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. Will try again twice next week and possibly the week after to see if I want to keep up with it.

faithVA

[USER=373223 said:
snoop[/USER];20568577]The temperature has dropped so I've gone back to baggying.

I also did a water rinse yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. Will try again twice next week and possibly the week after to see if I want to keep up with it.

How did it feel to you? What makes you unsure about it?

snoop

How did it feel to you? What makes you unsure about it?

I'm not sure how it feels to tell you the truth. The curlier my hair feels, the dryer it feels even when it's not actually dry. It's because I'm feeling the ends or kinks in my hair which creates a rougher texture than smooth hair.

I live in twists 95% of the time...and I wash in those twists and maybe refresh every 2 weeks, but only after washing. So basically, with each wash the twists get fuzzier which gives me that faux feeling of dryness. I actually don't know the state of my hair until I finger detangle (pre-wash), which is about every month to month and a half....and usually it's fine.

Just checked my roots. They feel fine, but not any more moisturized than if I didn't wash during the week...

As I mentioned before, I don't really have anything to write about anymore and I miss experimenting... I think I should be grateful! HAHA! :yep:

myfaithrising

Been on vacation. Hope to get it in gear this weekend. Haven't been doing any time of regimen for the past two weeks.

Are you still using the organicals follicle stimulating conditioner? I'm using it and kinda liking it but I have no idea if it's working. It used to feel like paste in my hair but I got a new batch which is much better. Considering a repurchase but I'm on the fence about it

faithVA

Are you still using the organicals follicle stimulating conditioner? I'm using it and kinda liking it but I have no idea if it's working. It used to feel like paste in my hair but I got a new batch which is much better. Considering a repurchase but I'm on the fence about it

No, I used all of mine up and not sure if I will repurchase. I bought it to help with my thinning crown. My crown has pretty much filled in now so don't feel like I need it. I did like it though.

myfaithrising

No, I used all of mine up and not sure if I will repurchase. I bought it to help with my thinning crown. My crown has pretty much filled in now so don't feel like I need it. I did like it though.

That's exactly why I picked it up, my crown is seriously thinning. Looks like it's trying to fill in but we're not quite there yet. I'm doing a few things to help it along so of course I have no idea what it is that's actually working. I'm going to keep up with the organicals, I'm sure it's helping. Thanks for responding!

spellinto

I'm on the brink of improving my air drying process, theres just one more step to master! When I air dry, my hair feels soft, detangled, & smooth *until* I leave it alone to finish drying by itself. Then it loses all the moisture I put in and feels brittle ESPECIALLY at the roots (also more prone to tangles). I think my roots also shrink up a little.

I usually don't do anything to my hair until it's completely dry (completely brittle) and then try to soften it from there. But I really like the look of my hair when I moisturize and detangle first and then let it finish. I'll try the scarf method next wash, maybe it will keep my roots stretched as they dry. So next wash's steps will be "leave in --> dry --> detangle, M&S --> Scarf method --> cross wrap"

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm on the brink of improving my air drying process, theres just one more step to master! When I air dry, my hair feels soft, detangled, & smooth *until* I leave it alone to finish drying by itself. Then it loses all the moisture I put in and feels brittle ESPECIALLY at the roots (also more prone to tangles). I think my roots also shrink up a little.

I usually don't do anything to my hair until it's completely dry (completely brittle) and then try to soften it from there. But I really like the look of my hair when I moisturize and detangle first and then let it finish. I'll try the scarf method next wash, maybe it will keep my roots stretched as they dry. So next wash's steps will be "leave in --> dry --> detangle, M&S --> Scarf method --> cross wrap"

Hope it works out well. You sound like you are really close to nailing it.

faithVA

I'm so hair lazy right now I'm not on any type of regimen. I came back from vacation as was supposed to get back on track. I half washed my hair last week and was going to get back to it over the weekend. But I felt bad over the weekend so I ended up just taking out my flat twist, re-moisturizing and putting back up. I'm slated to redo my hair today or tomorrow but I'm not feeling it. Maybe its the weather (shrugs).

snoop

Out of curiosity, why not? Is it possible to detangle and M&S before you let it dry?

snoop

I'm so hair lazy right now I'm not on any type of regimen. I came back from vacation as was supposed to get back on track. I half washed my hair last week and was going to get back to it over the weekend. But I felt bad over the weekend so I ended up just taking out my flat twist, re-moisturizing and putting back up. I'm slated to redo my hair today or tomorrow but I'm not feeling it. Maybe its the weather (shrugs).

Well I hope you feel better soon. You don't want to leave things too long, especially after making such great progress!

toaster

faithVA

:wave:

Since I'm determined to wear my hair out more I've been trying to figure out a new regimen. May I post in here through the end of the year to see if I'm retaining length?

Twice weekly I will:
Cowash hair and scalp with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Deep condition and detangle with Pantene 2 Minute Masque
Rinse
T-shirt dry hair for 10-20 minutes
8 twists (with braided roots) using Cantu Natural Leave in and Coconut Curl Cream
Dry under dryer

Nightly I will:
Massage scalp with Liquid Gold Green Magic
Spritz hair with Cantu Naturals Coconut Spritz
Seal ends with Liquid Gold Marshmallow Butter
Put hair in two braids for bed

Daily I will:
Wear my hair in a twist out down OR wear my hair in a bun if my twist out doesn't look good/don't feel like wearing my hair down.

I've been working out more, improving my makeup skills, and just want to wear my hair down sometimes and be fabulous. I still love bunning, but... I need a change.

faithVA

[USER=388763 said:
toaster[/USER];20584235]faithVA

:wave:

Since I'm determined to wear my hair out more I've been trying to figure out a new regimen. May I post in here through the end of the year to see if I'm retaining length?

Twice weekly I will:
Cowash hair and scalp with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Deep condition and detangle with Pantene 2 Minute Masque
Rinse
T-shirt dry hair for 10-20 minutes
8 twists (with braided roots) using Cantu Natural Leave in and Coconut Curl Cream
Dry under dryer

Nightly I will:
Massage scalp with Liquid Gold Green Magic
Spritz hair with Cantu Naturals Coconut Spritz
Seal ends with Liquid Gold Marshmallow Butter
Put hair in two braids for bed

Daily I will:
Wear my hair in a twist out down OR wear my hair in a bun if my twist out doesn't look good/don't feel like wearing my hair down.

I've been working out more, improving my makeup skills, and just want to wear my hair down sometimes and be fabulous. I still love bunning, but... I need a change.

Of course you can. Come on in.

toaster

I'm about to massage the liquid gold, moisturize and seal my hair, and put it in two braids for the night.

Here is a picture if my twistout today.

image-1719153472.jpg

spellinto

Out of curiosity, why not? Is it possible to detangle and M&S before you let it dry?

snoop Well, I have porous strands, so a lot of the moisture I put on it while it's wet/damp is likely to evaporate. Usually, I wait until my hair is completely dry and then style, so I don't lose nearly as much moisture.

Recently though, I've been doing as you mentioned above: detangling and M&Sing before it dries (that's what my last post was about).

I make sure my hair is not completely dried out and brittle, but also not so damp that it snaps off (porous hair is also very prone to breaking if you comb it wet). I get really smooth, soft results until my hair dries 100%...then the moisture evaporates.

faithVA

snoop Well, I have porous strands, so a lot of the moisture I put on it while it's wet/damp is likely to evaporate. Usually, I wait until my hair is completely dry and then style, so I don't lose nearly as much moisture.

Recently though, I've been doing as you mentioned above: detangling and M&Sing before it dries (that's what my last post was about).

I make sure my hair is not completely dried out and brittle, but also not so damp that it snaps off (porous hair is also very prone to breaking if you comb it wet). I get really smooth, soft results until my hair dries 100%...then the moisture evaporates.

Have you checked the pH of the last product you apply? If you can make sure it has a pH between 4.5 and 5.5. Maybe that will help retain a little more moisture.

toaster

Second day hair was a fail. I'm doing my hair again tonight and I'm not looking forward to sitting under the dryer. Anyway, obviously putting my hair in two braids isn't working to preserve the curl.

I wore it out for a while but now it's up in a ponytail.

image-1758661054.jpg

image-2843200128.jpg

snoop

Second day hair was a fail. I'm doing my hair again tonight and I'm not looking forward to sitting under the dryer. Anyway, obviously putting my hair in two braids isn't working to preserve the curl.

I wore it out for a while but now it's up in a ponytail.

I can't wait until my hair fail looks like that pony! :yup:

toaster

I can't wait until my hair fail looks like that pony! :yup:

Thank you! I've seriously never worn my natural hair "down" and I've been completely natural since 2010. After I cut my hair from hip length the ear length I promised myself that when it got "long" again I would actually wear it. It's a totally new experiment for me and I'm super self conscious about it, but I'm loving it!

snoop

Thank you! I've seriously never worn my natural hair "down" and I've been completely natural since 2010. After I cut my hair from hip length the ear length I promised myself that when it got "long" again I would actually wear it. It's a totally new experiment for me and I'm super self conscious about it, but I'm loving it!

Hip length is a myth for me! I'm so jealous! I've never been past neck length so being APL is like :yay:

Is the original style a braid out or a twist out? Maybe try 8 braids/twists instead of just 2.

BTW: I want your avatar hair... :drunk:

toaster

snoop

Thank you! You will achieve all of your hair goals, I know it. Just make sure to enjoy your hair along the way. I forgot to do that the first time. Now I'm back to grazing waist length and I'm on a mission.

My original style was 8 twists. After two hours under the dryer they finally dried. But to preserve the style I've been spritzing my hair and then putting it in two braids. I think I could get more definition with 4 braids, but my other goal is to have a night time style that doesn't look crazy. :look: at least with 2 braids I look like Pocahontas.

I'm traveling for the weekend so I redid my hair last night. This is my travel hair.

image-3525689433.jpg

Just an unfluffed twist out pinned up with a goody hair barrette.

snoop

toaster

My goal for next year is to not have crazy night time hair (or daytime hair for that matter -- heh).

Maybe, 2 flat twists might hold the style? Is air drying a possibility -- light spritz then 8 twists right before bed might work?

spellinto

Experimented w/new airdrying techniques for a second time. Still figuring out that last step.

If I try leaving my hair out to dry, the lower part of my hair dries out and becomes brittle, plus my coils at the roots & nape shrink up and become tangled & poofy.

BUT If I try to keep those areas stretched by bunning, twisting, or w/ponytails, they take FOREVER to dry! Hi-po hair is a funny thing :lol:

I noticed that I always brush down the front of my hair & the NG looks pretty smooth, maybe doing the same with the back would help (note: I *Gently* use a soft, 100% boar bristle brush on moisturized hair). I'll try the ponytail method against next wash, alternating between ponytails & finger combing my crown. Similar to this method

Wonder how this will work out when my NG takes over...

Last edited:

faithVA

I've gotten off track but hopefully will get back on in October. For the fall and winter I am just tweaking some things.

Definitely will continue experimenting with the MHM method for the rest of the year. I'm playing around with castille soap with conditioner for step 1. I have several deep conditioners I want to compare for step 2. I still have a lot of work to do with the clay step, step 3 but will only do that once week versus every wash day. Using kknt diluted or straight for a leave in is working well for me. And with the cold weather coming I am using CR Almond Jai and I just picked up some Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade.

For the fall and winter I will stick to flat twist and twist. I plan to baggy mid-week to keep my moisture levels up.

My hair has definitely improved since the start of this thread. I should have a solid regimen by the end of December.