TWA Support Thread

Mz.MoMo5235

I wish I could wear a scarf to work... But even if I could I cant seem to keep them on my head so it wouldnt be much help.

I agree. I've been from bald to tailbone and the hardest by far is twa. I get tempted to re-shave it all the time. That awkward phase is a beast to get through once. Its even harder to get through when you have a set back and start over.

And for the style challenged ladies like my self (who cant braid or twist. Or at least cant braid at twist at shorter lengths) it can be especially troublesome. I often wish I were a wig girl then I could really ignore my hair til its where I want her to be. But I cant figure those out either lol

Sholapie

I'm going through this awkward stage really bad.
At just under 4 inches it feels like there is like nothing I can do with it :nono: wash and gos are now giving me ssks so I was twisting it up but they are short and unwearable so I have been wearing cute scarves but I know I can't keep that up.
I'm going to the bss today to buy braiding hair and i'm going to put in singles for a while :) so many great YT tutorials, especially memoirsofkee, she is amazing.

almond eyes

I'm going through this awkward stage really bad.
At just under 4 inches it feels like there is like nothing I can do with it :nono: wash and gos are now giving me ssks so I was twisting it up but they are short and unwearable so I have been wearing cute scarves but I know I can't keep that up.
I'm going to the bss today to buy braiding hair and i'm going to put in singles for a while :) so many great YT tutorials, especially memoirsofkee, she is amazing.

Sholapie, I would say be careful with getting your hair braided especially if you have fine high porosity hair. Singles do not allow enough moisture to penetrate the hair. In my past transitions when my hair was very short, I used braids to get over the hurdle and my hair grew but I always shed lots of hair when I took my braids out and the front of my hair could never grow past the bridge of my nose.

Surprisingly, I do not have problems with SSKs and I think that is because I wash my hair everyday and detangle with my comb inside the shower and then I put a moisturiser and leave my hair alone. I alternate between shampooing, co washing and just rinsing with very warm water and nothing else. I never put a comb to my hair again until I am detangling my hair in the shower.

I use a head scarf with a knit cap and make my face look very nice without going overboard. Lucky for me I am free lancing at the moment. I live in a very conservative Jewish neighbourhood and all the women there wear head scarves with knit caps so I fit right in.

Best,
Almond Eyes

gabulldawg

I don't know if my technique is improving or if my hair is changing or what, but my hair is looking and feeling more moisturized even before I put product on it. I'm happy with the changes. I think I will really love my hair/curl pattern once it gets longer. :up:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I don't know if my technique is improving or if my hair is changing or what, but my hair is looking and feeling more moisturized even before I put product on it. I'm happy with the changes. I think I will really love my hair/curl pattern once it gets longer. :up:
Glad to hear your hair is doing well.

gabulldawg

My hair is getting longer! It's starting to look uneven, though. Not sure if I need it to be shaped or what?? I'm new to this. :lol: I don't want to look ratchet. :look:

Divine.

My hair is getting longer! It's starting to look uneven, though. Not sure if I need it to be shaped or what?? I'm new to this. :lol: I don't want to look ratchet. :look:

I think I got my hair shaped every 6 weeks for 3 months, letting the top grow out but keeping the sides tapered. That's ultimately how I transitioned into my tapered cut (which I am now growing out).

You don't have to do this though. I was just very particular about how I wanted my hair to look :lol:

almond eyes

My hair began to look uneven after the second month so I got it shaped up. But that was in June. I decided that if I wanted to grow my hair I couldn't keep shaping it up so that was my last shape up. Though I love that fresh shaped up look.

Best,
Almond Eyes

gabulldawg

I think I got my hair shaped every 6 weeks for 3 months, letting the top grow out but keeping the sides tapered. That's ultimately how I transitioned into my tapered cut (which I am now growing out).

You don't have to do this though. I was just very particular about how I wanted my hair to look :lol:

I did get it taped and lined. She didn't take too much off the sides but tried to start shaping that tapered look. I'm planning to rock the tapered cut for a while before I grow it out.

Mz.MoMo5235

I went for the ratchet look the first time around and this time around I'm sticking with the "who done did it, why, and dont do it no more" look. That will teach me not to cut my hair when I'm depressed and frustrated lol :lachen: I'm teaching my lessons over here!

Divine.

My hair is in love with mud washes! I recently noticed that I was doing a slightly modified version of the max hydration method. My hair has been so moisturized and defined! My current regimen:

Clarify with homemade moisturizing shampoo
Follow up with Terressentials mud wash
Deep condition with silk dreams DC

I do this once a week now. My crown has really started cooperating since doing this method. I am also able to finger detangle in each step because of the slip I get

hunnychile

Curl keeper > Curls in a bottle

Also didn't like the World of Curls activator

Almost out of my favorite moisturizing styler but mama needs a sale. :look:

Sholapie

Divine. that sounds like a really good adaptation, I might give it a try.

I'm giving braids a miss haha I had already started when I changed my mind. I haven't worn braids in years and even just having them secure felt like too much tension :(

I think i'm going to put twists in once a week and wear either the twists and twistout through the week, washing and detangling once a week. my hair loves low manipulation more than protective styles, that I know :yep:

tolly

Sholapie your hair looks very lovely in your signature, it's nice seeing your progress in your signature, I remeber seeing your fade, a few months ago.

ckisland

Looks great!!!!!!!!!And your hair seems to either grow fast or you have been to retain all your inches.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thank you!!! :grin: I keep thinking that my hair isn't growing fast enough because I keep forgetting how slowly hair grows!! 6 months is only 3 inches, and I'm like, I should have 4 or 5 by now :lachen:

almond eyes

Thank you!!! :grin: I keep thinking that my hair isn't growing fast enough because I keep forgetting how slowly hair grows!! 6 months is only 3 inches, and I'm like, I should have 4 or 5 by now :lachen:

I think at 1/2 per inch monthly which is average you are doing well if you have retained it all.

hunnychile

Can everyone chime in with what leave-in they're using?

My faaaavorite is the KJ Naturals stretch-n-curl styler. It's moisturizing and provides a little extra hold so my WNGs are poppin'. :cool2: I find that some textures can actually make my hair frizzy when rubbed in or will act weird with paired with gel.

I just bought another jar of KJ Naturals but I'm interested in what others are using.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hey boo.
I have loved Giovanni direct leave in for years. It plays nicely with others, is light, $8, and easy to get-grab it at target with my groceries or whatever.
I'm wearing weave now but I loved it with my TWA under Eco gel. Great definition and moisture.

meka72

^^^My daughter swears by the direct leave in topped with some Oyin hair dew.

I love the APB leave ins and hair creams. I always return to those when I stray.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I am not sure if my hair could still be considered TWA anymore. When I pull at it, some areas are closer to SL but it still looks like a TWA..

Oh the struggle!!:ohwell:

Attachments

• 1016767_10100324625705849_3874387283336407690_n.jpg
    1016767_10100324625705849_3874387283336407690_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 57

Guinan

Re-Branding
I am not sure if my hair could still be considered TWA anymore. When I pull at it, some areas are closer to SL but it still looks like a TWA..

Oh the struggle!!:ohwell:

I'm wondering that too. The back of my hair is alittle past SL, and the front of my hair is almost CBL. But b/c of shrinkage it comes up to my ears and neck:lol: