Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

brownb83

Fresh roller set for the week, and I've already combed all the curls out. lol

Good news is my roller sets are finally starting to hang like I want even with shrinkage.

Bad news is:
Roller sets are no longer masking the difference between my natural and relaxed hair. After almost 3 years of growing my relaxer out my natural hair is pretty much kicking my relaxed ends out the way...like move over we got this!!! lol The difference is really clear (well to me it is). The first pic is kinda dark so I took a 2nd one with the flash to get a better view. Really doesn't matter to me since I rarely wear my hair down without it having some type of curl anyway. So I'mma still keep rolling away! lol

I just moisturized and put it in 3 bantu knots to stretch the roots for a few hours. I'll put it in a side french braid before we head out for weekend festivities. Happy roller setting weekend Ladies!

I just lurk... but *two snaps** your hair looks amazing!!!

mz.rae

Tried the Sistawithrealhair's method of roller setting. I just used water to set my hair and used the ponytails to stretch the roots. The results are soft and fluffy stretched hair. I'm going to spray a little heat protectant and flat iron. I found using just water helped me to get the hair more taunt on the magnetic roller.

ForumRunner_20140913_175821.jpg

Blairx0

I finally rinsed and deep conditioned. I decided to use flexi rods and never thought how hard it would be to get under the dryer with all these crazy angles everywhere. I hope they are dry. I plan to let them air dry for about 45 mins before unravelling.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
We have a check-in at the end of the month & I'm gonna go ahead and do mine now. I will be traveling for the next 2 1/2 weeks with very limited internet access so I wont be on here much.

Adding a comparison picture from my first roller set of the year in Jan to my last one a few days ago. I have exclusively rollerset every week to every 2 weeks this entire year outside of when I sprained my wrist and went in braids for 7 weeks. I have always and will always love roller setting and it will stay a part of my hair care routine.

I trimmed about an inch total this year so I was able to retain just about all my growth with setting. I'll be doing french braids for the rest of the year after setting...pushing myself to see another 2 inches before our final end of year reveal.

I've never noticed this, but the longer my hair gets the more it grows into a V shape. I don't mind it, I'm not chasing a blunt look nor will I cut off hair just for it to grow back the same way...I just accept and work with it. I will check back on your updates when I'm back from vacation and settled at home.

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
We have a check-in at the end of the month & I'm gonna go ahead and do mine now. I will be traveling for the next 2 1/2 weeks with very limited internet access so I wont be on here much.

Adding a comparison picture from my first roller set of the year in Jan to my last one a few days ago. I have exclusively rollerset every week to every 2 weeks this entire year outside of when I sprained my wrist and went in braids for 7 weeks. I have always and will always love roller setting and it will stay a part of my hair care routine.

I trimmed about an inch total this year so I was able to retain just about all my growth with setting. I'll be doing french braids for the rest of the year after setting...pushing myself to see another 2 inches before our final end of year reveal.

I've never noticed this, but the longer my hair gets the more it grows into a V shape. I don't mind it, I'm not chasing a blunt look nor will I cut off hair just for it to grow back the same way...I just accept and work with it. I will check back on your updates when I'm back from vacation and settled at home.

I'm jelly! Tis all

Oh and I'm not going to check in until the end of the year when I do a lc for all of my challenges.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thanks to lulu97 for the reminder because I never check in.

I started the year at BSL but because I trimmed about 5 inches this year trying to rid thin ends, my progress is only to MBL though I should've been at WL. I was only able to cut because I was pregnant so most of it grew back.

I've rollerset mostly all the time, I'll say 3 weeks out of the month most months. Haven't roller set in a while since I had DS, but I think I'll start pony setting since it might be less time consuming.

The orange picture is my starting picture and the picture with me blog address is as of July/August 2014. Can't update right now. All the others is progress in between.

My goal is to stop cutting and just let it continue to grow out. If the thin ends are too worrisome then I'll cut next year, but I'm trying to leave them alone. They got a tad better.

Attachments

• image-2915700910.jpg
    image-2915700910.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3040584948.jpg
    image-3040584948.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image-834218970.jpg
    image-834218970.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3919593476.jpg
    image-3919593476.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 64

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thanks to lulu97 for the reminder because I never check in.

I started the year at BSL but because I trimmed about 5 inches this year trying to rid thin ends, my progress is only to MBL though I should've been at WL. I was only able to cut because I was pregnant so most of it grew back.

I've rollerset mostly all the time, I'll say 3 weeks out of the month most months. Haven't roller set in a while since I had DS, but I think I'll start pony setting since it might be less time consuming.

The orange picture is my starting picture and the picture with me blog address is as of July/August 2014. Can't update right now. All the others is progress in between.

My goal is to stop cutting and just let it continue to grow out. If the thin ends are too worrisome then I'll cut next year, but I'm trying to leave them alone. They got a tad better.

I'm jelly of you too and all you other heif*s in this challenge lol...

Eta- beautiful hair btw

coilyhaircutie

Hey ladies! I have been soo busy lately, but i am back and checking in! Thanks lulu97 for the reminder. I'll try to be better at coming on here more regularly.

Part of the reason why I stopped posting was that I didn't really have anything new to say, I wasn't trying any new styles, so I felt like I had nothing fun to share lol. I think once you get your regimen down pat, it's all about repetition and staying constant.

Here is my latest permrod set. I did it on an old curlformer set, using naptural85's 'cheat a permrod set' technique. The products I used were water and jane carter wrap & roll.
DSCF2672.jpg

DSCF2673.jpg

DSCF2674.jpg

My hair is at BSL now. I'm not claiming it in my signature yet because I want to wait until October to flat iron my hair and take a pic to claim it. I was waiting on the CWK plates but those things aren't coming until October/late November (supposedly) so I may just buy a flat iron. I've been looking at the ghd eclipse. Has anyone tried that?

The products I use are kind of the same, just a few changes:
shampoo- Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (honestly, not in love with this. dries my hair out so much, going to buy something else once it's done)
conditioner- Trader Joe's Tea Tree tingle (same here. looking for an alternative). To DC, I add EVOO and aloe vera juice

setting product: Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (when my hair is freshly washed), Jane Carter Wrap & Roll (when my hair is dry/old) and Aloe Vera Gel (when my hair is super dry/old). I want to try flaxseed gel next.
oil: Vatika Frosting
edge tamer: Kinky Curly gel & curls control paste

Blairx0

coilyhaircutie

Love your perm rod sets. Its like a cute curly bob! It looks like it has great movement too, so well done. I know setting can seem repetitive once you have your products and routine locked down, but it is always great to share those lovely pics. I wonder if toaster is still setting with Naptural85's perm rod method.

Looking forward to everyone's update!

toaster

Blairx0

Hey! I haven't set my hair in forever (unless a twist out or braid out with satin foam rollers on the ends count). I just started cowashing every day and now I'm trying to wear my hair out more so twist outs have been winning. I plan on doing more sets when it gets cooler.

coilyhaircutie

coilyhaircutie

Love your perm rod sets. Its like a cute curly bob! It looks like it has great movement too, so well done. I know setting can seem repetitive once you have your products and routine locked down, but it is always great to share those lovely pics. I wonder if toaster is still setting with Naptural85's perm rod method.

Looking forward to everyone's update!

thanks Blairx0. your hair looks like it's grown so much in those pics above too! so thick and luscious! I find that as my hair grows longer, it has more swing and movement to it. I am still on lookout for my holy grail setting product tho. I love camille rose whipped aloe butter and 100% aloe vera gel but....... they both have a light hold and I get so tired of re-rolling my hair every night. I want a miracle all-natural product with hold that will last for at least 3 days. I literally could have an extra hour of sleep every night if I didn't have to reset nightly. I bought the ingredients to make flaxseed gel... we'll see how this goes LOL.

I'll post pics of my hair when I use the flaxseed gel later. Hopefully it's not a complete fail lol

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Back at home for a few days so my little munchkin can get his 4 month old shots. Hubby wanted to go out to eat yesterday and I was like nuuuh uhhhhh boy I gotta do my hair!!!! lmbo

After washing, steaming and all that jazz; I did a very light mist of aloe vera juice all over and used a tiny amount curl junkie smoothing lotion as a leave in. Air dried while I caught up on emails, house work & watched all my tv shows on the DVR that I missed.

Last edited:

YellowMellow

I'm not skilled enough to do an actual roller set. So instead I'll use curlformers. I usually can't get more than 3 day of wearing it down tho. I ordered new products to hopefully help with that. I wanted to wait until they arrived but I'm too excited to wait! I'll post a shot of my fresh out the shower texture tonight after I wash and then another after curlformers. I'm really really hoping to gain length but more so thickness! I want my fro to be huge since it doesn't seem to want to hang

Nyssa28

Any of you ladies have a cheat rollerset technique you'd like to share? I don't have the energy/time to do my regular set.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Any of you ladies have a cheat rollerset technique you'd like to share? I don't have the energy/time to do my regular set.

Nyssa28 What about a chunky braid out with perm rods on the ends? Granted my hair was already stretched, this style took me about 15-20 mins to do and it lasted maybe 5 days with pineapple'ing at night. Braid your hair just until you leave the scalp, then smooth and roll the length on perm rods or whatever rollers you like. I'll attach some pics showing what I mean.

You can also try a ponytail set. Well a lot of Ladies say that this method shaves off setting time but it takes me around the same amount of time as a normal set. So I tend to save those for when I need to trim.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody

Nyssa28

I just wanted to share my blog post about rolling with conici rollers. I really love them once I got the hang of them.

The thing about these rollers is that they are wider than a regular roller. So instead of doing a Mohawk, I divide my hair into 4 sections and put 3 rollers per section. Doing it this way cuts down on my rolling time. I set like this when I know I am going to use a flat iron after roller setting.

Lilmama1011

Nyssa28

I just wanted to share my blog post about rolling with conici rollers. I really love them once I got the hang of them.

The thing about these rollers is that they are wider than a regular roller. So instead of doing a Mohawk, I divide my hair into 4 sections and put 3 rollers per section. Doing it this way cuts down on my rolling time. I set like this when I know I am going to use a flat iron after roller setting.

It turned out nice

girlonfire

This is basically my life right now:
:user::brainy::sleep8::dollar::boredwrk::bangdesk::worship2:

and that's it. No time for anything between school and work. So setting has taken the back seat. I need to get it together. I had it in the begininning but that quickly changed. I'm not giving up the challenge though. Quite the contrary.

I'll be recieving some Joico products in the mail tomorrow and I should be getting my pibbs kwik dryer between saturday and next monday. Trying to see if "better" products and a better dryer will help me out.

I ordered:
Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo/Conditioner
" Moisture Balm
" Reconstructor
" kpak's deep conditioner, the name escapes me
" kpak smoothing balm

I hopefully will get time this sunday to do a magnetic roller set and probably follow with a flat iron. Wanna see how the smoothing balm does in the Georgia humidity (though recently mornings have been cooler and dryer).

Very excited to try these products out!

Babygrowth

Napp I love that post. Yall know I'm setting challenged but since my hair is getting longer and I love wearing it out I have to make this work. So 4 sections and these Capelli Care rollers are next on my try it out list.

YellowMellow

So I didn't use curlformers I decided to straighten instead lol I needed an updated pic anyway. I haven't noticed how much shine and fullness my hair is lacking! :/ it's very flowy and bouncy tho! :D

Attachments

• image-1249728754.jpg
    image-1249728754.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 78