Out of Hiding: Finally Cut My Hair, Transition is Over

bhndbrwneyes

I have been avoiding the forums since December because I had created a thread during Summer 2013 pledging that I’d cut my remaining relaxed ends and end my transition by December 31, 2013. Come December, I visited my parents for the holidays because I live out of state. I had asked my mother (who is also new to the natural hair world and was about 6 months post BC at the time) to cut my hair in fear that I’d mess it up. She agreed, temporarily. Once my father became privy to the plan he let his feelings be known which were that he thought I would look horrible and that my head was too big (ok, true). This was enough to sway my mother to refuse to cut my hair and express the same opinion. In fear, I opted not to cut my hair at this time and made a firm deadline of March 15, 2014…my two years transitioning anniversary…Well it didn’t happen at that time either.

Alas, I have finally cut my hair at 27 months off the creamy crack. I have always had SL or longer hair since before I can remember. I’ve always been complimented on having long hair (not always healthy when I was relaxed) so this is a big change for me. The past two and a half years I’ve hovered between MBL and WL cutting about 3-4 inches off every 6 months to get rid of my raggedy ends. The night started as the typical “I’m just going to cut 2-3 inches off now and then more in a few months” and turned into “all this sh*t has got to go”. I cut 5-8 inches in different spots (not quite sure why it was uneven, maybe my hair grows at different rates in different parts?)

I feel so free and I absolutely adore my new curls. I love my wash n go’s (though part of this may be because I recently discovered Hairveda and I am obsessed). Wash days and detangling is so much easier in part of having less hair but also because my hair is a more uniform texture. I’ve seen much less shedding/breakage, again, partly because of less hair, but I also believe the line of demarcation was getting the best of me. I no longer feel like I’m wasting products on my relaxed ends that were meant for natural hair.

Sorry I don’t have many photos of before or during the cutting process but I did save this photo grid that I created for Instagram (@bowlerae). I also have a photo from today (wash n go).

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1404003047772.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1404003047772.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_20140701_140746.jpg
    IMG_20140701_140746.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_20140701_140653.jpg
    IMG_20140701_140653.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_20140701_135215_409.jpg
    IMG_20140701_135215_409.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

bhndbrwneyes

Thanks everyone, what length would I be considered? When pulled, the hair in the front of my face comes down to my chin but the back goes past my shoulders? Should I just say NL?

Last edited:

bydebra

Your hair is gorgeous! I thought I could hold out for a long time like that, but I couldn't! I'm not sure of the length, but your hair looks pretty long.

Eiano

NL, you're definitely close to CBL!

So you transitioned for 2+ years?

Wow, what did you do to help with the transition? Protective styles? Braids? Weave?

Let us know sis!:drunk:

bhndbrwneyes

Eiano, the first 6 months I had no clue what I was doing as I'm sure most people are like. 6 months-1.5 years I did a lot of braid outs, they didn't become "successful" until around year one lol. 1.5-2.5 years I did a lot of wet buns and just pulling my hair back in a jaw clip out of laziness and saving product haha.

Amarilles

Ahem. I also posted in that thread you made claiming a BC by December 2013. And uh, I'm still transitioning :look: Tomorrow I'll be 27 months post too.

Congratulations!!

JFK

You can tell your daddy that your hair sisters don't think your head looks too big! LOL

Your hair looks awesome. :)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
It looks so cute! Frames your face well, and you're probably about shoulder length in the back judging solely from the way your hair is hanging and how much shrinkage you have. Congrats. :yep:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
beautiful!

and what a great story about what so many women of color in this country go through with their hair and their family's and friend's possession of their hair and the real struggle that is OURS alone. thank you for sharing that with us.

i love your hair relaxed and natural and i am so glad that you met your goal! kudos to you!