Summer Bun Challenge

krissyhair

2015 Summer Bun Challenge starts on page 10.

The rules from last year apply. They are listed below. To join, answer the questions and list your challenge level. Feel free to join at any time during the summer. HHG.

There will be 4 levels to this challenge to make it easier for everyone to participate.

Level 1: Entry Level
This means you will commit to wearing buns at least 3x a week. You are certainly welcome to wear them more often, but this is the minimum requirement for entry.

Level 2: Star Level
Star Level members will commit to wearing a bun for at least 5 days per week. This option is good if you would like to wear buns to work, but will take a break on the weekend, or if you want a strict bun regimen with some variety.

Level 3: Gold Level
You will commit to wearing buns every day throughout the whole challenge with 2 passes every month

Level 4: Platinum Level
This is not for the faint of heart. With this level, you will wear a bun for the entire summer with no breaks or passes. Get creative with your accessories and styles, because it's going to be a long 3 months.

This challenge will run from the Summer solstice to the autumnal equinox for us ladies in the northern hemisphere. That is June 21st to September 22. Are you ready?

Post your level of participation, starting length, goal length, your bunning regimen, and why you want to join this thread.

I am choosing entry level
My starting length is APL, and I'd like to make BSL by September.
My regimen will be to cowash, detangle and wet bun.
I wanted to do this challenge because I remember the year I turned 16, I followed this regimen during the summer and had phenomenal growth by the end of the year.

Last edited:

prettybyrd

Hey! I'm in. :)

Level
Star level - I bun for work everyday now.

Starting length
SL on my way to APL

End of challenge goal
I would like to gain three inches of growth.

Regimen
Daily
Dampen hair
LCO
Gel edges
Bun

Weekly
Cleanse
DC
Detangle
LCO
Gel edges
Bun

Reason for joining
I was reluctant about bunning - wet bunning in particular due to past scalp irritation from my scalp staying wet for too long - but a lady in the Twist/Braid/Bun challenge recommended damp bunning instead. I've been damp bunning for the past month or so and my hair sheds less. When I did my length check yesterday I could see a lot more growth and it looks thicker.

Plus, I was reading the "Great-Grandma's Regimen" thread last night and I think that this challenge matches what a lot of ladies said their GG's regimens were like. I'm ready for my WL hair! :)

Last edited:

assiyrabomb

I want to join!

Level of Participation: Entry Level *Depending on how well this works, I may bump up to Star Level at a later date.

Current Length: MBL

Short Term Goal Length: WL by the end of this challenge. I have roughly 2 inches to go so I should be able to make it.

Regimen:

Wash & DC Weekly
Wear hair in curl former set/twist out/wash & go first 4 days. Spritz style with Water & Glycerin mix and then bun for the remainder of week. That is usually when the style gets old anyways lol
M&S 2x Daily

Why I'm Joining: I keep hearing success stories of women who have had a lot go growth using the bunning method. I feel like I've been MBL forever and I want to get over this hurdle.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm in and I plan to do platinum level. I am doing this anyway, so it will be easy. I will be back with a pic of my pitiful bun. I just cut 2" away of damaged ends.:nono:

prettybyrd

I'm in and I plan to do platinum level. I am doing this anyway, so it will be easy. I will be back with a pic of my pitiful bun. I just cut 2" away of damaged ends.:nono:

2 inches is a lot, but you'll make that plus some with bunning on the platinum level. :yep:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Count me in as well.

Level of participation: Level 4

Starting length: APL

Goal length: To retain 2inches of hair

Bunning regimen: Right now I'm redoing my bun every 5 days to cowash, in between that time I will moisturize with a mixture of water/scurl no drip and hard protein every 5wks.

Why do you want to join this thread: I think bunning will help me reach my goal. I've been all over the place with PS, I just want to stick with one style for the next 6mos and make life easier for myself as I try to retain 3-4inches by the end of this year.

Dilettante

Ooh I'm in!

Level
Star Level. I'll be bunning M-F for work starting the 9th

Starting length
Just brushing BSL/BSB. I had a massive trim a few weeks ago to deal with some damage. The crown of my hair is shorter, so hopefully bunning will help me to even things up

End of challenge goal
2 solid inches. More length in my stubborn 'trouble spots'.

Regimen
Henna or hard protein once a month
Shampoo every two weeks
Deep condition once a week
Moisturize and seal every two days or so
Cowash as needed

Reason for joining
Bunning has given me good retention in the past, I just love my wash n gos too much to commit! And I need to bun for work anyway

PerfectlyFlawed

I'm in!

Level
Star Level- Platinum

Starting length
SL

End of challenge goal
Gain 2 inches.

Regimen
Co-washing every 2-3 days, protein every 6-8 weeks, moisture and seal every day/ every other day

Reason for joining
Its easy and professional. I get great retention bunning

krissyhair

Woohoo. It looks like this challenge is starting out strong. I'll be back once I get to a computer to list all the new challengers. Plus I will post some pictures of my buns (lol pun not intended).

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I'm in!

Level of Participation
Star level

Starting Length
Grazing BSL

Goal Length
Full BSL

Regimen
Co-cleanse 3X/month
Deep condition 4X/month
Clarify 1X/month
Protein treatment 1X/month
Cold air tension blow drying roots & air dry ends in bun every wash

Why I'm Joining
Joining because I'm trying to minimize thinning ends and maintain BSL length

Last edited:

RegaLady

Funny, I was just saying that I was going to bun all summer!
I'm in!

Level of Participation: Gold Level. No reason to wear my hair out. Going to get creative!
Current Length: APL
Short Term Goal Length: 2" to gain. My final goal is Full blunt end APL(or 2 inches from APL).

Regimen:

Wash & DC Bi Weekly, Moisturize, seal and bun

Why I'm Joining: I just trimmed off two inches and I want to gain two more healthy inches so I can wear my hair down this fall:grin:. Bunning works! I have always had great retention when doing it, so I want to maximize retention this summer.

Fhrizzball

I am choosing between entry and star level for me so anywhere from 3-5 times a week.

My starting length is BSL, and I'd like to make bottom of BSL by September.
My regimen will be to cowash, finger detangle, and wet bun a couple times a week. Weekly I'll do a regular wash and DC and monthly a protein treatment. On wash days I'll do a wet set style.

PlainJane

Thanks for starting this challenge!

Level: Platinum!

Starting length: grazing APL

Ultimate goal length: MBL

Regimen: co wash and bun around every other day or two days, add leave in and whatever other product I'm trying to use up, I don't really touch my bun in between co washes, DC weekly, repeat. I am six months post.

Why am I joining?: I'm joining because I've seen the best retention from bunning. Also I'm transitioning and it's the only style I'm comfortable with right now.

sunnieb

Great challenge ladies! Bunning works!

Wishing you all tremendous growth/retention this summer!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Willow00

I'm in. I <3 bunning and would like to stay focus on doing it everyday. I'm hoping to reach WL one day. People in my work and social circles were begging me to let my hair loose because they want to see how long and thick they think it is....not gonna happen this year. LOL

I'm at level 4, Platinum Level, and would like to stay on that level for the rest of summer.

Starting length: APL.

Goal: BSL at end of summer.

Regimen: Water and ACV washing (one or two capfuls in a large bowl of water), tea rinsing with whatever tea bags I have lying around, and applying castor/grapeseed oil mixture (1:1 ratio) after wash. Do wash weekly or bi-monthly. Rinse hair and scalp well with water and apply oil whenever needed. Have twists or braids and put into bun daily with either my flexi8, bobby pins, or claws. Redo bun daily since I can't stand sleeping in pins and flexi8's.

I'm starting now and will keep going until summer ends.

Rozlewis

I would like to join this challenge. Here is my info:

Level 3:
Gold Level - I commit to wearing buns every day throughout the whole challenge with 2 passes every month

Starting length: APL

Goal length: BSL

Bunning regimen: Wash 1 x per week, cowash 1 x per week, DC 2 x per week. Bun on damp hair.

I want to join this challenge because I am trying to protect and preserve my ends through the hot summer months.

Today's bun:

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 165

Angelbean

I want to join!
I will be at entry level if this goes well I will bump up to another level at a later time

Starting length: hovering above mid back length

Goal length: full mid back length or an inch below

Regi: to bun 3 days a week

PlainJane

I did a simple wet bun last night and secured with a hair pin. I won't touch it until the day after tomorrow. Bunning definitely helps me deal with "hand in head syndrome" because once my hair dries smooth I hate to touch it and mess it up.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Firstborn2

Thanks. Yes, it is a net bun. It helps to keep the bun nice and neat

I just googled net bun. I must have been sleeping under a rock. I had no idea this existed. This will definitely make my buns more interesting since I decided to be a big dog and sign up for level 4.:lol:

krissyhair

I'm with you early starters trying to bun before the challenge now. This way I can get used to it.

Does anyone else, lurkers want to join? Come out of the shadows.

PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

That is a nice bun. I have to learn how to make it. How did you do it?

Thank you!!

I started with a braidout
- put hair in really loose ponytail
-fold the hair back and tuck it into the part of the ponytail close to the scalp (if that makes sense)
- I place a bobby pin through the rubber band and secure it

There are alot of videos on YouTube that can probably explain it better than me, it's really easy

Last edited:

krissyc39

Level: Entry level - I'm starting an exercise regimen so this will be the easiest thing for my hair while I exercise (I already spend 2 days/week in big braids) and will allow me to wear my hair out for the weekends

Starting length: Multiple lengths (shortest is CBL) longest is 2" shy of MBL

End of challenge goal : I'd like to keep every inch I grew (especially in the back) so I can finally have my shortest layers catch up with the rest of my hair!

Regimen:
2x weekly
- wash
- aphogee 2 min
- deep condition
- braid out

Daily
- mist hair
- bun
- scarf to lay down edges

Reason for joining
I was just talking about protecting my ends more. I've had a curly bob for as long as I can remember and no matter what I do I just can't seem to get that area to catch up. Also, I got a cut that looked beautiful straight but ABSOLUTELY AWFUL curly and so I'm in a hurry to grow that area out asap. I was thinking about getting braids (and doing the crown and glory method) but I'm still freaked out about the last time I got them and this is something I already know how to do.

Staring Pics:

Attachments

• 20140508_112644.jpg
    20140508_112644.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20140508_112638.jpg
    20140508_112638.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 20140508_112648.jpg
    20140508_112648.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 20140607_005606.jpg