Male vs Female Hair Stylists

Who do you prefer?

• Total voters

morehairplease

I love male hair stylists. A male hair stylist introduced me to the Phyto line & black rinses. He also told me to stop using direct heat on my hair in between visits. He insisted on deep conditioning, too. I only stopped going to him because he changed salons & the haters wouldn't tell me where he moved to.

A different male stylist I tried was ok, but he got a ton of business because he gave a mean scalp massage. Actually, he was probably good, but my hair was in bad shape back then and I would not let him trim off the damage.

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking if he recommended a particular brand for the black rinse? My hair color is just so blah right now and I really want a jet black color.

Mamamia

I always have Egyptian men do my hair when I would go to the salon. My hair has never felt so good. They always took the time to ask me my regimen and what my daily routine is for taking care of my hair. They were very gentle yet quick. Im a DIYer now but for my wedding, Im definitely using a guy!!! All my women experiences have been horrible. (Too much heat, burning, pulling, etc. )

Attachments

• after roller wrap.jpg
    after roller wrap.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18

mariofmagdal

I had one female, she is the only one to work on me. She told me not to go to a female stylist, she said they would be jealous and jack my hair on purpose, she said, yes, they are like that. I had two males, they were great. I do prefer males.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Trust me, I've had a Slew of both. Male (Gay & Straight) & Female. And each one have their own little personality disorders and moods & attitudes. Both have their pluses and their minuses IMO.:nono:

It's been my experience that the "longer" you go to either, the more they Think they Own your Hair and can tell you what to do. And also do what they want to do, in the End. So, I've had Good & Bad experiences with both:perplexed

But I think if I had to pick or the other one: I'd probably pick Male.:yep:

mariofmagdal

OMG, I DareT'sHair, you are so right in that they think they own your hair! One male friend, he never did my hair, but he had a signature mark/cut/design that he put in all of his clients hair so all would know the stylist! He outright refused to do my hair because I am natural and due to my length, I made him crazy just walking into his shop to say hello!

~NanCeBoTwin~

I've had a slew of women and 1 man....I burned and damaged my hair to the point where it broke into a horrible bowl cut type of shape...went to a chick we'll call R every 2wks for a year maybe a little longer. Everytime I sat in her chair "she clipped my ends" so for a year my hair never grew out past below my ear. I stopped going to her, I knew I'd damaged my hair but by this time I'm thinking it should be straight. So I start going to this dude, we'll call D. Well D was cool, in the 1 and 1/2 yrs I was seeing him my hair grew but got stuck at SL or abit past SL, he trimmed my ends only once, however, he had some issues calling me asking if I wanted to buy random things, falling asleep in the middle of curling someone's hair (not mine), falling asleep period in the shop, and a few other things. Needless to say, I cut him loose now I go to another chick we'll call S, she owns the shop D works in, we'll hit a year in July, I've started roller setting, stretching, co washing, airdrying, and bunning since seeing her, all with her blessing, I can call for advice since during the stretch I'm not really using heat so I don't see her as often now. She has my hair at almost APL, she is trying to talk me into not relaxing at all, I'm trying to negotiate 2 times a year. I LOVE HER....her motto "I'm trying to keep hair on my clients head, I'm into longevity and retaining clients not just giving them what they want to get paid"..This chick keeps relaxer dates of all her clients written on a calander so she can shut you down if it hasn't been at least 10 weeks. She will not do a relaxer before 10 and prefers anything more than 12..In the end I'd say I have no preference you have good and bad with either sex.....

Last edited:

Kawaii1

I think it is because men know how they want to see women and vice versa. The best haircut and shave my DH has ever had was from a woman.

Kawaii1

I've had a slew of women and 1 man....I burned and damaged my hair to the point where it broke into a horrible bowl cut type of shape...went to a chick we'll call R every 2wks for a year maybe a little longer. Everytime I sat in her chair "she clipped my ends" so for a year my hair never grew out past below my ear. I stopped going to her, I knew I'd damaged my hair but by this time I'm thinking it should be straight. So I start going to this dude, we'll call D. Well D was cool, in the 1 and 1/2 yrs I was seeing him my hair grew but got stuck at SL or abit past SL, he trimmed my ends only once, however, he had some issues calling me asking if I wanted to buy random things, falling asleep in the middle of curling someone's hair (not mine), falling asleep period in the shop, and a few other things. Needless to say, I cut him loose now I go to another chick we'll call S, she owns the shop D works in, we'll hit a year in July, I've started roller setting, stretching, co washing, airdrying, and bunning since seeing her, all with her blessing, I can call for advice since during the stretch I'm not really using heat so I don't see her as often now. She has my hair at almost APL, she is trying to talk me into not relaxing at all, I'm trying to negotiate 2 times a year. I LOVE HER....her motto "I'm trying to keep hair on my clients head, I'm into longevity and retaining clients not just giving them what they want to get paid"..This chick keeps relaxer dates of all her clients written on a calander so she can shut you down if it hasn't been at least 10 weeks. She will not do a relaxer before 10 and prefers anything more than 12..In the end I'd say I have no preference you have good and bad with either sex.....

WOW!! I would love to have a stylist like that. I love my stylist because she does great style but I sometimes feel she is to stuck on her own convience. She doesn't like to deal with natural hair and I don't like going to the shop and being pressured into trimming or perming. I have reduced my visits to her for just styling.

bludaydreamr

I have had 3 male stylists (2 yt) and they all hands down beat my female stylists. There was only one, a Brazilian lady that did my hair for a while, I loved her, but she got deported.

Ericka

They both have their perks. From my experience, male stylists seem to care about making the hairstyles frame the face more than female stylists. I love that. They can be a little more extreme when it comes to styles though. Female stylists just seem to do a style and not care if it fits the person's face (this is all shape and volume wise). Female stylists seem to be a bit more professional. The male stylists i've been to have been overly flamboyant and arrogant. We know that you can do hair. We understand that you know tons of people. :rolleyes: You don't have to announce it constantly.

SOOO TRUE (at the bolded sentence).

tbaby_8

I had female stylists for years. Some of them good and some of them bad. I had one male stylist and he was just okay. My current stylist is male and he is really great. He has helped me grow out may damaged hair.

I think it really depends on the stylist...

I agree. I really depends on the stylist. I have seen some really good female stylist and I have seen some really bad male stylist and vice versa. It just depends on the stylist.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be more female stylist and that maybe why we see more of them jacking hair up because there are male stylist that jack hair up to, but I don't think there is that many male stylist.

kjeneen

I'd like to assume that the reason MEN (especially the straight-ones) are so much better for clients who actually want to grow hair is because they themselves find it sexy and womanly, therefore, they give that extra-care to it.

IMHO, women stylist could care less what style you sport as long as they get paid at the end of the service. This is true even if you leave the shop without the 4-5 inches you patiently labored to get:(

RossBoss

Its something about a man doing my hair that just irks me:perplexed.. I cant put my finger on it, but it just seems weird.. Now, I will let him do my makeup..I know, I know, backwards right? :ohwell:But my BF used to get his hair cut by a guy who did men and women hair and when I would go with him, I would turn into a little peeping tom, watching the stylist/barber's every move... I just equate men with masculine and I dont want no masculine hands doing my hair..I had my BF brush my hair one day...lets just say it was an experience I'll never forget.:sad:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::grin::grin::grin:

The best stylists I had are male. Unfortunately, I always have some issues with female stylists. Now, don't get me wrong, being male doesn't automatically make you a great stylist; but, it doesn't mean you'd have to deal with as many issues with them.

PJaye

In my experience, there are distinct differences between male and female hairdressers.

Female hairdressers tend to:
- Be more friendly and informal
- Focus more on their wants and needs rather than those of the customer
- Take shortcuts in an effort to make things easier for themselves
- Debate with customers and their preferences
- Have a somewhat rigid outlook with regard to hair practices
- Insert some type of a “cut” into every service
- Have flippant/blasé attitudes towards your hair (and everyone else’s hair)
- Charge less for their services
- Frequently engaged in overbooking
- Spent less quality time with consumers
- Require recurrent salon visits as a part of their maintenance service

Male hairdressers are inclined to:
- Be cordial while maintaining a professional attitude and setting
- Emphasize beneficial hair practices over styling/fashion trends
- Take into account a customer’s preferences
- Have avant-garde beliefs and practices
- Avoid unnecessary cutting
- Cut more hair while doing a cutting service
- Charge more for their services
- Schmooze and network
- Provide more options regarding care and styling
- Supply at-home information and product usage as an integral part of their maintenance services
- Be more honest/blunt - if your ends are jacked up or your hair color is brassy and unbecoming, they WILL state the facts in no uncertain terms

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I enjoy men everything -- stylist, doctor's, etc. Men tend to listen and try to fulfill your needs accordingly. Women (in my experience) are stubborn and refuse to hear your concerns. Women sometimes act like their way is the best way and refuse to consider alternatives. I find that men are not like that.

Chevelure618

It may sound stereotypical, but I'm looking for a male hairstylist for my salon now. So far I have 4 female! 2 black (1 natural, 1 relaxed) 1 Dominican (naturally curly hair), and one white. The one male stylist who called for the position was such a Diva on the phone that I blew him off.

I've had that experience so many times...the male hairstylists seem so much better.

diadall

Male or female I always have a knack for finding a stylist that is about to blow up. Meaning get very popular. I don't have one now because when I find someone I like (it happens every single time) there comes a point where I can't even get an appointment when I was with them at the very beginning.

My birthday is in February and I tried to get an appointment with Miranda. I called last week because the last time I called in September she was booked until early December. I was told that the first available she has is March 7.

I go to a Dominican salon in Orlando it is first come first serve but I only go every 3 to 4 months. They have never turned me away but I don't want that much heat but 2-3 times a year.

mzsophisticated26

i never had a male do my hair, the closest I had was my old stylist boyfriend washed my hair because he was her wash person for the day(he was a barber)....lol

nzeee

The 1st and only time I ever went to a male stylist was back in october because I had heard that homosexual men make the best stylist. Well my perm was too underprocessed and he gave me a crooked cut that I specifically asked him not to do!

i uhm... think it's worth saying that not all male stylists are gay or 'homosexual' :nono:

anyhoo, i voted male because the 4 of the 6 male stylists i've had gave me:
- the most flattering cuts
- excellent colour treatments
- a little flirty action on the side (makes the visit more fun)

and all 'round good service. i agree w/ another poster here who mentioned that male stylists (gay or straight) may do a better job because they appreciate beautiful women and will do their best to turn you into one. they do tend to charge more (unless you compare a barber to the average female stylist for TWA maintenance), but i didn't mind payin'. if i could find a man in toronto to do a good weave i would pay through my teeth :grin:

Last edited: