Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

ms.blue

Hey ladies!
How is everyone doing with their hair for the new year?

I finally made an appointment for a new sew-in next Friday. I'm getting kinky straight hair and I think I'm going to have her cut bangs and cover up my whole head, no leave out this time. My goal this year is to reach APL, and I think I need to just leave my hair alone until I get there. I have hand-in-hair syndrome, so these past 2-3 months without a sew-in, I'm sure I haven't made any progress at all. :look:

musing about my regimen under the weave...
DC with cholesterol under the dryer 2x a week
wash with diluted shampoo after DC'ing
oil my scalp every other night
continue to work out, take my vitamins, drink water, and eat well

anyone have a good recommendation for a good straightening shampoo and conditioner set? I love kinky straight textures because they look real, but I struggle with getting them to act right. I need a shampoo/conditioner set that has really good smoothing properties.

I have been using keracare hydrating moisturizing shampoo and joico moisture recovery conditioner for my EPRT. The conditioner is so moisturizing and smoothing...really glad that i bought the big bottle from ulta during their sale.

As for hair, I will be using this hair (EPRT) over and over through out the year to get my monies worth lol.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I had really good results my first go around in this challenge and I know I can get to goal if I stick to it.

My dilemma is: to closure or not to closure?!!! I'm switching to ONYC kinky curly 3b 3c hair. I already have the hair but not the closure. I was waiting for a sale which didn't happen.

On one hand, I don't want to get all this growth then my leave out doesn't thrive then on the other hand I'm a sucker for realistic looking protective styles. I haven't met a closure I couldn't spot. I'm always distracted by them during conversations.

Any help you ladies can offer will be appreciated!!!

Ooooh this is my next hair purchase is the onyc 3B curly addiction! Look at YT videos there are ways to camouflage a closure.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Sooo my hair came in from Her Hair Company and it's gorgeous. It's the straight in 18, 20, 22, & 24 with a 16in closure I believe. I was going to add some color to it like one of these two videos below but I'm not so sure anymore. This hair is stunning. This is the longest hair I've ever gotten. I believe my full lace I got 3 years ago was like a 20 or 22in. Anyway I made a full wig out of it and just figuring out what I'm going to do to it. Here's the videos that are inspiring me to color. Here are my pics. Please dont talk about my no make up and fat lol
Did I already show you this video? I either want to color my hair like this
http://youtu.be/Fz_dbJxDRQM
Or like this
http://youtu.be/fT7wz2-tI6g

View attachment 293357

View attachment 293359

View attachment 293361

View attachment 293363

ImanAdero

Sooo my hair came in from Her Hair Company and it's gorgeous. It's the straight in 18, 20, 22, & 24 with a 16in closure I believe. I was going to add some color to it like one of these two videos below but I'm not so sure anymore. This hair is stunning. This is the longest hair I've ever gotten. I believe my full lace I got 3 years ago was like a 20 or 22in. Anyway I made a full wig out of it and just figuring out what I'm going to do to it. Here's the videos that are inspiring me to color. Here are my pics. Please dont talk about my no make up and fat lol Did I already show you this video? I either want to color my hair like this http://youtu.be/Fz_dbJxDRQM Or like this http://youtu.be/fT7wz2-tI6g

So... How long does it take you to make a wig? Do you cut the tracks?

::look:: And how much would you charge? ::look::

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
So... How long does it take you to make a wig? Do you cut the tracks?

::look:: And how much would you charge? ::look::

Morning hun! It usually takes me an hour and half to make a unit but with this one because the hair was soooo long and excellent quality I took my time. I always do the foldover method and went so slow it isnt even funny. I had to make sure it was going to come out great which they always do so about 2 1/2 hours. And I would charge $75 to make a unit. Hope this helps

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay guys I just couldn't do the dark hair so I colored it. Heres a pic of the hair this morning very dark and the rest I'm sure you can tell it's been colored lol...oh and I'm loving wigging it so much! I get to play around with the extensions and do things I would not do to my natural hair if I still wanted to keep it. It's so much easier to put on my wig and go. My hands are out of my head so even better. Only oil my scalp at night and dont touch my head until wash day.

View attachment 293433

View attachment 293435

View attachment 293437

View attachment 293439

View attachment 293441

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I had really good results my first go around in this challenge and I know I can get to goal if I stick to it. My dilemma is: to closure or not to closure?!!! I'm switching to ONYC kinky curly 3b 3c hair. I already have the hair but not the closure. I was waiting for a sale which didn't happen. On one hand, I don't want to get all this growth then my leave out doesn't thrive then on the other hand I'm a sucker for realistic looking protective styles. I haven't met a closure I couldn't spot. I'm always distracted by them during conversations. Any help you ladies can offer will be appreciated!!!
this is my eternal struggle. My thoughts: I want my style to be as realistic as possible. I leave out as little hair as possible and make sure to deep condition and take care of my hair.

For a kinky curly style, I'd do some leave out. You don't even need to use heat to blend.

SugarRush

I had really good results my first go around in this challenge and I know I can get to goal if I stick to it.

My dilemma is: to closure or not to closure?!!! I'm switching to ONYC kinky curly 3b 3c hair. I already have the hair but not the closure. I was waiting for a sale which didn't happen.

On one hand, I don't want to get all this growth then my leave out doesn't thrive then on the other hand I'm a sucker for realistic looking protective styles. I haven't met a closure I couldn't spot. I'm always distracted by them during conversations.

Any help you ladies can offer will be appreciated!!!

ceecy29 ONYC is having a (mostly) 10% sale. I've also been waiting for a good sale since before black friday but the most I've seen is 10% off plus 2% in rewards :nono: I want at least 15%.

I have the 3c-4a in a sew-in and it's beautiful, doesn't tangle. I love the hair and I'm still debating if I should just buy and stock up because I plan to be in sew-ins for most of this year.

ceecy29

this is my eternal struggle. My thoughts: I want my style to be as realistic as possible. I leave out as little hair as possible and make sure to deep condition and take care of my hair.

For a kinky curly style, I'd do some leave out. You don't even need to use heat to blend.

Rocky91 Since it's the new year and I'm still in the cost cutting mode, I think I'm leaning more towards sticking with a sew in and leaving some hair out. The closure would just be an additional expense that I might not really need. My leave out did not suffer much during my last go around. Thanks for your input and helping me come to this conclusion!!!

ceecy29 ONYC is having a (mostly) 10% sale. I've also been waiting for a good sale since before black friday but the most I've seen is 10% off plus 2% in rewards :nono: I want at least 15%.

I have the 3c-4a in a sew-in and it's beautiful, doesn't tangle. I love the hair and I'm still debating if I should just buy and stock up because I plan to be in sew-ins for most of this year.

SugarRush Oh I just saw the sale but again it's on bundles and all I'm in the market for is a closure since I already have 2 bundles of 14" hair. Ah well!!! Good to hear that the hair doesn't tangle, now I hope my 4b/c leave out blends well with the 3b 3c hair.

MRJ1972

Removed my install and cut my own ends! Looking for a great kinky/yaki straight that will hold curls and not tangle!! Need it installed by Friday!

Rocky91 thanks! I always use the seam ripper but I have no patience so I got help with the removal this time and only cut on piece on accident :)

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I bought a full lace unit from one of the ladies here for my sister for her birthday. It came in the mail and its beautiful. I colored the wig black at the roots and lighter on the rest (original color is a 2 but my sis hair is a black 1b). Anyway i threw some loose wand curls in it. Anyway I just tried it on her last night but just as a fitting. I really didn't do any leave out or blending yet.

View attachment 293675

View attachment 293677

View attachment 293679

View attachment 293681

I also finished up a wig I was working on that I was waiting for the closure to come in. Bought the hair and closure from aliexpress. Its a wavy texture. I custom colored this hair as well. Here's pics of me constructing the wig few weeks ago when I got the hair and colored it.

View attachment 293683

And then yesterday when I completed the unit with closure. I threw some tighter wand curls in it as well.

View attachment 293685

View attachment 293687

I hve one more unit to make using the ivy flipover method on top as I donot have a closure for. This is a curly hair that I colored as well.

View attachment 293693

View attachment 293695

View attachment 293689

View attachment 293691

Eta- last pics not in order. The pics of me is the unit I finished last night. It saved in wrong spot.

felic1

Your work looks good sis. Are these constructed on a cap? It looks like a wave cap and I am not sure what it is. What can you make these on? I thought that they were constructed on a cap that has spaces in it (I really do not know much about it). What are the ways that a wig can be construted? Thanks!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Your work looks good sis. Are these constructed on a cap? It looks like a wave cap and I am not sure what it is. What can you make these on? I thought that they were constructed on a cap that has spaces in it (I really do not know much about it). What are the ways that a wig can be construted? Thanks!

Thanks I dont know if you're talking to me but I use a mesh dome style wig cap.

Eta- link
http://m.ebay.com/itm/361056543923?txnId=581448413023

ikandi87

I bought a full lace unit from one of the ladies here for my sister for her birthday. It came in the mail and its beautiful. I colored the wig black at the roots and lighter on the rest (original color is a 2 but my sis hair is a black 1b). Anyway i threw some loose wand curls in it. Anyway I just tried it on her last night but just as a fitting. I really didn't do any leave out or blending yet.

I also finished up a wig I was working on that I was waiting for the closure to come in. Bought the hair and closure from aliexpress. Its a wavy texture. I custom colored this hair as well. Here's pics of me constructing the wig few weeks ago when I got the hair and colored it.

And then yesterday when I completed the unit with closure. I threw some tighter wand curls in it as well.

I hve one more unit to make using the ivy flipover method on top as I donot have a closure for. This is a curly hair that I colored as well.

Eta- last pics not in order. The pics of me is the unit I finished last night. It saved in wrong spot.

Okayyyy! U went to work on those wigs! Nice! What vendor did u end up getting ur closure from?

JosieLynn

So I couldn't last. I took my sew in out early because I wanted to straighten my hair for my birthday!!! I used the Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight texture manageability system. And I love it so far. My hair has grown and it feels so nice. This system is supposed to last 6 weeks I believe but idk if I can last that long lol. I love my length but my hair is totally weightless just because of my fine strands and that makes it hard to maintain a curl so I ended up wand curling it today and it seems to be doing well. With it being winter in Chicago idk if I will keep this up and just go back to my protective styles without extensions or go a week or two and go back into the sewin. But right now I'm loving my hair

Attachments

• image-203442559.jpg
    image-203442559.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3120743365.jpg
    image-3120743365.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3390359815.jpg
    image-3390359815.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 93

ikandi87

So I couldn't last. I took my sew in out early because I wanted to straighten my hair for my birthday!!! I used the Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight texture manageability system. And I love it so far. My hair has grown and it feels so nice. This system is supposed to last 6 weeks I believe but idk if I can last that long lol. I love my length but my hair is totally weightless just because of my fine strands and that makes it hard to maintain a curl so I ended up wand curling it today and it seems to be doing well. With it being winter in Chicago idk if I will keep this up and just go back to my protective styles without extensions or go a week or two and go back into the sewin. But right now I'm loving my hair

I have the BTMS in now and I love it to! I been rocking a wrap with a middle part but u make me wanna try some curls before I wash it out. Nice!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

Your hair looks awesome.

Always~Wear~Joy

I recently had 4oz of 12inch EPRT installed. I'm 4b natural with small horsehoe leaveout and edges out. I love this hair so far!!!

ETA: this hair is perfect for natural hair. Before it was flat ironed it looked just like my hair when blown out. Now in its pressed state it still looks like my natural hair. I will try a braidout next week.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
That is so pretty!! Always~Wear~Joy

I got my kinky straight installed a few days ago, middle part and enough left out to pull up into ponytails and buns. I am excited to do some heat-free styles, I think I want to try a flexirod set when I do my first wash.

Always~Wear~Joy

That is so pretty!! Always~Wear~Joy

I got my kinky straight installed a few days ago, middle part and enough left out to pull up into ponytails and buns. I am excited to do some heat-free styles, I think I want to try a flexirod set when I do my first wash.

Thanks Rocky91 ! What brand of kinky straight did you purchase? Post pics of your flexi rod set! I bet it will be very pretty. I may try that too.