Sew-in Challenge 2014-2015 (6 months or 9 months)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hey ladies, I've been wearing sew-ins for a little bit and I've found that they're my favorite protective style of choice: versatile, keeps my hair healthy and edges intact.
Feel free to join me!!
I am committing from August to January, 6 months, then I'll see how my hair feels/how I feel about another 3 months.
If you're interested, thank this first post. My next post will detail some info that everyone can share.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Current length or starting pic:

Challenge goal:

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)

Weave style/install hair:

Weave regimen:

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Starting pic attached, I'm layered neck length, been growing out a fade.

Challenge length: 6 months. That's 2 3-month installs.

Weave style: very flat weave, with high ponytail and bun possible. I use brazilian curly hair that blends decently well with my heat trained natural 4a/b.

Weave regimen: I wash and condition with nexus hummectrus, then DC with silk elements moisturizing DC weekly. Sometimes I cowash daily if I'm wearing the hair curly. I also do mild protein treats of my leave out with aphogee 2 minute.

Challenge goal: I want apl or close to it.

Weave tip: choose hair that blends easily! Be sure to DC your hair underneath the weave regularly. When I abandon doing this, my hair feels ultra dry after takedown.

Last edited:

Smiley79

Current length or starting pic:
Attached below; I'm at the awkward phase, not a TWA but not long enough to hang either, lol

Challenge goal:
My hair grows slow, very slowly, lol, so I don't put too much hope in growing inches and inches of hair BUT I would like to come out of the "awkward phase" length of being natural. That would be a great accomplishment. Another goal is to be gentle on my edges and nurse them through the sew ins so they can fill back up.

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months):
I'd like to commit to a 6 month challenge. It just so happens that I have an appt on Tuesday for a sew in.

Weave style/install hair:
I'm being adventurous. I purchased some Mongolian Kinky Curly hair from an AE vendor and I purchased the Milan Curl from WoWAfricanHair. I've always been a straight weave girl, so these curly weaves are new to me. I opted for less expensive companies so I can learn and get the hang of these hair patterns first before I spend big bucks on longer lasting hair vendors. Also I'll see if I even like these curl patterns on me before I commit to the more expensive ones. I admit that I'm a bit nervous trying them but excited at the same time. :yep: I'm stepping outside of the box a little.
(See Page 3)

Weave regimen:
I need to research this. I know the Mongolian KC hair is very high maintenance. I am still reading and watching videos to get as many tips as possible. I will nurse my edges with JBCO mixed with peppermint EO.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)
Don't get it installed too tight! Period. I'm not looking for Hurricane resistant installs. I have learned the hard way, if it's too tight, say something or don't get it installed. Another tip is to find one good hairdresser for your installs. I've come to learn that hair likes stability; I have always noticed that women who have hair that thrives usually say they have been going to So&So for 10 years or they get their weaves done exclusively by So&So. I think this is good for your hair, to have someone who is one the same page with you and is looking out for the good of your hair during your weaving journey. I'm in South Florida and I have yet to find "The One" yet, but believe me I'm looking and when I find them, that's it for me! I hope Tuesday goes well for me, lol

Attachments

• 20140428_080036.jpg
    20140428_080036.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

ImanAdero

I'm marking my spot.

I'm currently in a weave so my challenge will probably start mid September, but I'm taking out my current sew in on the 9th, so one week to go!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Saving my spot just in case. I actually wig it but after seeing dontspeakdefeat's client video the other day I'm going to give it a go.

ikandi87

Saving my spot as well. I wont be installing for a few weeks bc I planned on keeping in the beehive under my wig for 3 or 4 weeks and I want it to be fresh to class!

mshoneyfly

Question ladies:

How do you DC your hair under the weave? Aren't you worried about buildup?

This is my 2nd week and I have a lace closure. She did not cut the netting around the edges of the closure so its hard to get under there.

So far Ive been oiling with a little of my oil mix of JBCO, coconut and safflower after doing an ACV rinse to cleanse the scalp. I sit under the dryer to avoid mildew. I have been DCing the weave though.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Question ladies: How do you DC your hair under the weave? Aren't you worried about buildup? This is my 2nd week and I have a lace closure. She did not cut the netting around the edges of the closure so its hard to get under there. So far Ive been oiling with a little of my oil mix of JBCO, coconut and safflower after doing an ACV rinse to cleanse the scalp. I sit under the dryer to avoid mildew. I have been DCing the weave though. I LOVE this HHJ!!
I apply my DC, let it sit for at least a half hour, then rinse it out using diluted shampoo in a spray bottle. I thoroughly scrub my scalp and I've never had buildup issues.
I actually really hate nets for that very purpose, I don't feel I can get to my scalp very well at all.

PureSilver

Current length or starting pic: I'll post that this weekend

Challenge goal: WL

Length of time commitment: (3 months, 6 months, 9 months)

Weave style/install hair: Full House as its called in my country

Weave regimen: In the past i would keep my weaves in for no longer than 6 weeks. I just oil my scalp 3X per week for those 6 weeks

1. Do not allow the stylist to braid your hair too tight or to sew the hair too tight.
2. Be gentle when taking down your weave if you cannot do it by yourself, enlist the help of a trusted friend
I don't practice washing my hair while in a weave but if you do please dry your hair fully to ensure your hair or the weave does not smell and to avoid matting and tangles

ImanAdero

Question ladies: How do you DC your hair under the weave? Aren't you worried about buildup? This is my 2nd week and I have a lace closure. She did not cut the netting around the edges of the closure so its hard to get under there. So far Ive been oiling with a little of my oil mix of JBCO, coconut and safflower after doing an ACV rinse to cleanse the scalp. I sit under the dryer to avoid mildew. I have been DCing the weave though. I LOVE this HHJ!!

I actually only did 2 months (well am doing) and haven't "deep conditioned" my hair. But when I rinse my conditioner I let it sit for about 5 minutes then run my head under water for a good 10 minutes or more to make sure everything is thoroughly washed out.

intellectualuva

I'm in. Modified. 9 months challenge for me.

I will hit my 1 year anniversary of weave/protective styling next month.

Started: 50/50 shoulder length texlaxed & natural

Current: Fully natural below shoulder not quite APL with fresh trim. :-(

Goal: BSL Natural.

Fresh install last week. Onyc, Full Weave. Lace Closure. Installs stay in 6-8 weeks rotate with 1-2 weeks off in between for my hair maintenence. Only once have I done back to back installs....didn't really like it.

Weave regimen: Scalp: Co wash with NJoy and watered down conditioner once a week. I may ACV /deep conditioner in between....to replace if my scalp doesn't feel right. Weave hair gets cowashed or shampooed depending if it gets to heavy after I care for more scalp. Sit under the dryer afterwards. Few times a week I put coconut oil or njoy oil on my scalp or whatever random thickening scalp spray I have.

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Challenge goal:

Made it 6 weeks. Sew ins do not work with my scalp.

Last edited:

ikandi87

Aside from using or not using a net, have you experienced any other obstacles that hinder you from caring for your hair underneath the weave such as braid pattern or how the tracks are laid?

I have done self installs before but only for a few weeks at a time. I want this install to really last, any tips?

Also, is it possible for us to post pics of our installs just for inspiration or gp?

Kentmane

Please count me in.
I am off to do mine this afternoon.

But Ladies I need your help.......

I go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and I sweat. How do I look after my scalp.
I can blow dry the weave, but my scalp will be damp.

ThatJerseyGirl

I think I may do this.

My cousin, who finished cosmetology school in NC, was gracious enough to sew my weave in for free and did a damn good job! She asked me to bring my hair and to come to the shop when I got there and she'd hook me up. You think I didn't?

She washed,deep conditioned, trimmed my ends, blew it out lightly and proceeded to cornrow. The women in the shop were impressed because they were asking why am I getting a weave when I have so much hair. It was in the 100s temperature wise and my hair had shrunken prior to, so....

I used my Extensions Plus Zig Zag Curly and I am impressed. She is my new weave hairstylist. Of course, I will be a paying one. It took four hours and I am extremely happy.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I will be travelling to NC to get my hair done by her, and that I spray my scalp with nu gro moisturizing spray. I use mixed chicks leave in on this hair when wet. I have no problems with my edges in terms if breakage, as I keep them moisturized as well. I've had my weave for three weeks now and already have close to an inch. I plan to wear it until October.

I will rock them for a year until my natural hair grows to mid back length!

HHG

Last edited:

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
Holding my spot. Will be back to sew-ins in Sept. after a 2 mo break from back to back sew-ins for a year.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Aside from using or not using a net, have you experienced any other obstacles that hinder you from caring for your hair underneath the weave such as braid pattern or how the tracks are laid? I have done self installs before but only for a few weeks at a time. I want this install to really last, any tips? Also, is it possible for us to post pics of our installs just for inspiration or gp?
I stopped attempting self installs a long time ago because I'm just impatient lol. I do notice my stylist does a braid pattern that corresponds with the way the tracks are laid. So I can get between the tracks with an oil applicator and feel scalp not tracks if that makes sense.
Here's a pic of my last one curly. I'll try to snap a pic of it straight when I get it installed on Saturday.
image-3496925676.jpg

mzpurp

I would love to join! I have my hair in some crotchet braids right now (I have about 2 more weeks to go before I remove) but I've been wanting to get a sew-in lately, it's been a minute since I got one installed.

I need some new hair though! Any recommendations Ladies??

SuchaLady

Hey girl, I do my own weaves but I sew them to a cap. Some call it a wig, some don't. You can call yours a sew in and still do the challenge. Just saying :look:

Aside from using or not using a net, have you experienced any other obstacles that hinder you from caring for your hair underneath the weave such as braid pattern or how the tracks are laid? I have done self installs before but only for a few weeks at a time. I want this install to really last, any tips? Also, is it possible for us to post pics of our installs just for inspiration or gp?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Please count me in. I am off to do mine this afternoon. But Ladies I need your help....... I go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week and I sweat. How do I look after my scalp. I can blow dry the weave, but my scalp will be damp.
First of all, if you haven't already, try to choose hair that can blend without heat and just some gel or edge control. I don't know how your hair does with heat, but personally, if I'm cowash often like 2-3x a week, I can't use heat everytime and have hair on my head.
Second, you can sit under the dryer to have your tracks dry out. I usually just air dry though, and it doesn't seem to pose much of a problem.
Glad to have you join us! I find working out with weaves to be no problem at all.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I would love to join! I have my hair in some crotchet braids right now (I have about 2 more weeks to go before I remove) but I've been wanting to get a sew-in lately, it's been a minute since I got one installed. I need some new hair though! Any recommendations Ladies??
What texture is your hair?
I currently use a brazilian curly from my stylist that blends pretty well with my hair, but unfortunately I don't know the vendor and I doubt I ever will lol.
I've also used bohyme Brazilian wave in the past that looked very similar. Hairesthetic(sp?) has a kinky straight that I really like, very minimal shedding and blends well with 4a/b. extensions plus is known for being a great brand.

ikandi87

I stopped attempting self installs a long time ago because I'm just impatient lol. I do notice my stylist does a braid pattern that corresponds with the way the tracks are laid. So I can get between the tracks with an oil applicator and feel scalp not tracks if that makes sense.
Here's a pic of my last one curly. I'll try to snap a pic of it straight when I get it installed on Saturday.

Yea I get what u mean lol you and ur hair are gorgeous!

ikandi87

Hey girl, I do my own weaves but I sew them to a cap. Some call it a wig, some don't. You can call yours a sew in and still do the challenge. Just saying :look:

What cap do u use? I use dome caps but they're not feasible if I wanna leave it on, no access to my hair and every net cap ive tried has been too small. Will u be doing it this way?

SuchaLady

What cap do u use? I use dome caps but they're not feasible if I wanna leave it on, no access to my hair and every net cap ive tried has been too small. Will u be doing it this way?

I use dome as well. I've used a mesh weave cap before and had my leave out been any smaller it probably wouldn't have fit either. Guess I just have a huge head. I'm in braids for the rest of the year but for my third 21st birthday :look: in January I'm doing a kinky straight install this way.

ikandi87

I use dome as well. I've used a mesh weave cap before and had my leave out been any smaller it probably wouldn't have fit either. Guess I just have a huge head. I'm in braids for the rest of the year but for my third 21st birthday :look: in January I'm doing a kinky straight install this way.

Girl we both must have big domes bc the mesh one was too small for me too I had to adjust my whole 'do lol

mzpurp

What texture is your hair?
I currently use a brazilian curly from my stylist that blends pretty well with my hair, but unfortunately I don't know the vendor and I doubt I ever will lol.
I've also used bohyme Brazilian wave in the past that looked very similar. Hairesthetic(sp?) has a kinky straight that I really like, very minimal shedding and blends well with 4a/b. extensions plus is known for being a great brand.

Thank you for the suggestions! I can def understand your stylist not giving up her sources. LOL! My hair is 4 a/b around my edges but gets thicker as it gets close to my crown area. I don't mind having to flat iron my leave out but don't want to damage my hair either.

I know in the past I've gotten more deep wave weaves, that way with my leave out I can put some flexi rods in and it be curly like the weave.

*runs to google*

sharifeh

I wanna join I'm in a sew in now...I can't wait until my transition is over My stylist does it with a net Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

naija24

I'll join this Sunday!! Anyone have experience with Weave Express salons? Hair plus installation would be under 150, which is a steal in the DC metro.