Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

Ivonnovi

I just have to chime in on Shrinkage:

IMHO, one of the reason you experience shrinkage is due to the "newness" of the loc's. Once they get some weight and maturity to them the shrinkage will significantly lessen.

*Happily Me*

I haven't seen any recent threads for those of us that have locked our hair so I decided to start one. The purpose of this thread is to offer support those of us who have decided to embark on a loc journey and others who are considering loc'ing. Please feel free to share your experiences, pics, regimen, or even ask questions.

Please answer the following questions:

1. How long have you been on your loc journey?

I've been locked since December 2010

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey?

My hair was breaking off and I was tired of fighting with it.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd?

Most likely until i die

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?

I started my locs with extensions done by our very own BlackMasterpiece. I would say they are looking kinda freeform because i rarely retwist

5. What process did you use to start your locs?

Extensions

6. How do you maintain your locs?

I wash at least once a week. that's it. I don't really hav a regimen

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?

Bronners for shampoo and my mix of oils (coconut, grapeseed, castor, tangerine essential oil)

I'm going to answer these questions in another post. In the meantime, I'm tagging a few loc'd members. If you know anyone else who's loc'd, formerly loc'd, or interested in loc'ing, please tag them. Thanks!

ChasingBliss Foxglove *Happily Me*

1BalancedBeauty

Bumping :)

1/2 years

I have always admired locs and finally decided that I was ready to commit to trying them myself

As long as I can, before heaviness/thinning hairline becomes an issue. I figure, at least a decade or so

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform?

Small to medium sized traditional locs, often mistaken for sisterlocs.

Started my own with 2-strand twists

Shampoo about once a week (trying to cut back though), spritz every other day with herbal braid spray, retwist about every 6 weeks.

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?

African Pride Herbal Braid Spray, Taliah Waajid Loc it Up Gel, avocado oil, coconut oil, Organix Shea Butter and Alma Oil shampoo

Platinum

I'm interlocking my roots tonight, and will probably palm roll the ends to help tame this fuzziness. I'm four months into my loc journey and I have a feeling that I will be completely loc'd within the next few months. I'm still keeping my regimen simple but I tried a Dudu Osum natural herbal shampoo and I give it a thumbs up. I'll definitely purchase again.:yep:

ChasingBliss

Retwist today. She was especially brutal today :lol:

I think I'll go every two months from this point on. DH is free forming now. Not sure how I feel about it but hey...

Harina

What resources if any did you guys use to learn more about locs?

Fsve youtue channels? Websites? Books?

Anyone check out this website? http://locdglory.com/

I read this book a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Dreads-I...UTF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-4&keywords=locs+hair

I think I am going to reread it because I am planning to loc before the end of the year. My hair is rebelling on me and I am not about this loose hair life anymore. No ma'am.

I also came across these but have not ordered them yet. http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Loc-Ba...TF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-11&keywords=locs+hair

http://www.amazon.com/Loc-Journey-B...UTF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-7&keywords=locs+hair

Platinum

What resources if any did you guys use to learn more about locs?

Fsve youtue channels? Websites? Books?

Anyone check out this website? http://locdglory.com/

I read this book a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Dreads-I...UTF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-4&keywords=locs+hair

I think I am going to reread it because I am planning to loc before the end of the year. My hair is rebelling on me and I am not about this loose hair life anymore. No ma'am.

I also came across these but have not ordered them yet. http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Loc-Ba...TF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-11&keywords=locs+hair

http://www.amazon.com/Loc-Journey-B...UTF8&qid=1413063178&sr=1-7&keywords=locs+hair

Harina I didn't find a lot of helpful websites but I watched lots of Youtubes videos before I loc'd. I can't remember everyone that I liked but here are a few:

Prettipoison27 has some informative videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/prettipoison27/videos

Keisha Charmaine
https://www.youtube.com/user/OverXposedKC91/videos

Chescalocs
https://www.youtube.com/user/chescalocs/videos

Zen_Lioness81
https://www.youtube.com/user/1balancedbeauty/videos

Damian Walters (long videos)
https://www.youtube.com/user/damianjw84/videos

I'll let you know if I can remember any more. Hope this helps!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I think some of my locs are budding but I don't know if 8 weeks is too early. My hair is 4c so I figured it would loc fast but I didn't think the process would start this early. I have my retighten in 1.5 weeks so I'll ask my consultant then. I tried to get pics of a couple of the buds

Atdow71

I think some of my locs are budding but I don't know if 8 weeks is too early. My hair is 4c so I figured it would loc fast but I didn't think the process would start this early. I have my retighten in 1.5 weeks so I'll ask my consultant then. I tried to get pics of a couple of the buds

Foxglove - it's possible. I started my Locs in January, & when I had my 2nd appt in Feb, my hair had already started locing & budding.

Great progress!

Locedandloaded

Hello all! I barely post but here are my responses:

22 months

I was natural for two years prior to locing but I have incredibly thick 4A hair and as it got longer washday and styling were becoming time consuming and annoying. I was sick of having to get up early to style my hair. I liked my hair best and got the most compliments on it when it was away in braids or twists. I began to wonder why I was wasting so much time putting in and taking down braids and twists when I could get the same look with less maintenance with locs. Also I suffered really badly with breakage, SSKs and dryness regardless of what regime I used and whether or not I used heat. I'd spent a fortune on natural hair products to no avail. I remember on the day before had my locs installed, I washed my hair and conditioned it for the last time. I was late and my arms were so tired I put it in like four huge braids and called it a day lol. I was DONE with maintaining it.

Forever!

I started with sisterlocs and now have traditionals, due to combining and maintaining my hair myself.

Interlocking

Interlock once every 4-6 weeks, spray daily with an oil and water mix, shampoo and condition once a week. ACV wash once a month.

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?[/COLOR][/B]
Coconut oil and water daily, sisterlocs conditioner once a week, sisterlocs shampoo once a week, ACV.

Platinum

I'm thinking about using headwraps to help me get through the "awkward" stage and to protect my locs during the winter. I have a few scarfs but I'll probably go to Michael's or Joann's to buy fabric to make headwraps.

I love this!:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Platinum that's a gele, normally worn by Nigerians for special occasions. To replicate it you would need stiff fabric so it will keep its form even during the folding and bending

MiamiChic

Sorry for the long post.

On friday at 4PM i said *** it & decided that i didnt care about every ones opinion regarding the idea of Ioc'ing my hair. Left work & went to Sallys to get Taliah Waajid's lock it up & of course they didnt have it. I drove all the way across town to get it. Im serious & decided that im not going to inform anyone on my decision. I did twists to get an idea of the look, put my hair away, and figure out the size i want. In doing so my mom already giving me a side eye like "so...you gonna take those out & let your hair be curly?" I said no, im gonna leave it like this & she bust out laughing talking about some yeah right.

As i mentioned, im embarking on this journey alone & its nice to have a support system especially for that "ugly" stage. I plan on taking out these twists and playing with my natural hair one last time before i make my twists bigger. I want thick locs but a full head of locs. Im still researching to see what size i should do my twists. Im beyond excited for this new journey.

ChasingBliss

I've been looking at my locs in a magnifying mirror and I could literally see the shed hairs around my temples twisted up into my locs. You really dont lose ANY of you hair when loc'd :lol:

I am loving this journey so far. My locs are starting to hang downward. The growth is amazing. I've made a personal picture book on my computer chronicling it. I take 3 pics after each visit front, top and left side.

Even my loctitian said my hair was growing very fast. So yeah, that made me happy :lol:

Platinum

*Random thoughts*

I was planning to do a personal "no retwist until the new year challenge" but my Dad wants the family to get together for a family portrait around Thanksgiving.:ohwell: I already know I'm going to get the side-eye from my Mom and she'll probably suggest that I borrow one of her wigs.:nono:

I love Dudu Osum shampoo. This is going to be one of my staples.:nono:

I can't wait to get some length. Right now, I'm looking like :hair:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
1. How long have you been on your loc journey? since april/may
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? my loose hair is too high maintenance for my lifestyle
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? no current plans to return to loose hair, but you never know
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? traditional
5. What process did you use to start your locs? two strand twists
6. How do you maintain your locs? wash once a week and separate. retwist when i feel like it. usually every 5-6 weeks but because of some issues i'm having i think i need to retwist more often
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs? i use castor or olive oil but lately ive been using kinky curly products just to get rid of it

so glad i found this thread! i need some major help. up until a few weeks ago i only used oil in my hair and aloe vera gel to retwist but i'm dealing with major buildup. i don't think it's product buildup because i had the same issues when i was loose but it was much easier to wash out back then. the only thing that helps is washing with acv and baking soda but that is much too harsh to do with any regularity. how do you all combat scalp buildup?

i also have very visible shed hair around my hairline. i shed the most there for some reason. i usually pick it out with tweezers but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having locs?

last issue is locking of the roots. when i wash i make sure to separate but my roots are still a mess. i will find hair that should be in one dread somehow makes it over to a dread in a totally different part of my head. how/why does this keep happening? is this an issue that will lessen once they are more mature?

ChasingBliss

*Random thoughts*

I was planning to do a personal "no retwist until the new year challenge" but my Dad wants the family to get together for a family portrait around Thanksgiving.:ohwell: I already know I'm going to get the side-eye from my Mom and she'll probably suggest that I borrow one of her wigs.:nono:

I love Dudu Osum shampoo. This is going to be one of my staples.:nono:

I can't wait to get some length
. Right now, I'm looking like :hair:

But you are seeing growth right?

1. How long have you been on your loc journey? since april/may
2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? my loose hair is too high maintenance for my lifestyle
3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? no current plans to return to loose hair, but you never know
4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? traditional
5. What process did you use to start your locs? two strand twists
6. How do you maintain your locs? wash once a week and separate. retwist when i feel like it. usually every 5-6 weeks but because of some issues i'm having i think i need to retwist more often
7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs? i use castor or olive oil but lately ive been using kinky curly products just to get rid of it

so glad i found this thread! i need some major help. up until a few weeks ago i only used oil in my hair and aloe vera gel to retwist but i'm dealing with major buildup. i don't think it's product buildup because i had the same issues when i was loose but it was much easier to wash out back then. the only thing that helps is washing with acv and baking soda but that is much too harsh to do with any regularity. how do you all combat scalp buildup?

i also have very visible shed hair around my hairline. i shed the most there for some reason. i usually pick it out with tweezers but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having locs?

last issue is locking of the roots. when i wash i make sure to separate but my roots are still a mess. i will find hair that should be in one dread somehow makes it over to a dread in a totally different part of my head. how/why does this keep happening? is this an issue that will lessen once they are more mature?

One question i can answer you on is the build up. ACV and baking soda in a warm tub of water. Soak your head, swish it around squeeze your locs gently as you are doing it...also massage your scalp. I also tend to squeeze the base of my locs at the temple. This is where I see some build up due to me geling my temple hairs for neatness.

I dont have scalp issues though. I think this soak may even help with that. My scalp is always clean and clear. I am currently washing once per week as well. Well I try to hold out for two weeks after a wash/retwist at the salon.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
But you are seeing growth right?

One question i can answer you on is the build up. ACV and baking soda in a warm tub of water. Soak your head, swish it around squeeze your locs gently as you are doing it...also massage your scalp. I also tend to squeeze the base of my locs at the temple. This is where I see some build up due to me geling my temple hairs for neatness.

I dont have scalp issues though. I think this soak may even help with that. My scalp is always clean and clear. I am currently washing once per week as well. Well I try to hold out for two weeks after a wash/retwist at the salon.

ChasingBliss, how often do you do the acv and baking soda? i was planning to do it once a month but it is so harsh and drying even monthly seems to often.

ChasingBliss

ChasingBliss, how often do you do the acv and baking soda? i was planning to do it once a month but it is so harsh and drying even monthly seems to often.

Oasis

Really? I dont really get the drying affect. My hair actually feels softer. I do it once per month as well. In about 2 gallons of water or so, I use about a cup of acv and 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda.