Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
June 13, 2014

Devotional:

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones, Not one of them is broken. Psalm 34:19-20 (NASB)

We know that the righteous can have troubles, but how do we understand that God delivers us from them all? How do we understand that he protects all our bones, especially in light of recent tragedies and the persecution of believers in many places in the world? Paul demonstrates the answer: whatever happens to him will turn out for his deliverance — whether it is through his death to be with God or whether it is through his release from prison to continue ministry (Phil. 1:19-23). Our deliverance is secure. We are conquerors in Christ. Nothing Satan can do to us can steal us away from God's love, not even death (Romans 8:32-39).

Prayer:
Father, please give me the faith I need to believe that whatever happens in my life will not steal me away from your love and deliverance for me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance. Psalm 33:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 14, 2014

Devotional:

Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous will be [fn]condemned. Psalm 34:21 (NASB)

God has promised a closing time, a reckoning where human power and influence cannot buy out the truth and where each person will have to face up to what he or she has done. Evil will overtake those who have been partners with evil. Those that hate good people, righteous people, will be condemned in their own hate. God's righteousness, truth, and justice will not be short-circuited!

Prayer:
Father, thank you for making clean and whole by the purifying work of your Holy Spirit. Teach me to be righteous. Help me develop a revulsion for what is sinful and evil. Use me to help someone caught in the evil one's work to find deliverance. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and [fn]its works will be [fn]burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 2 Peter 3:10-12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 16, 2014

Devotional:

The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who take refuge in Him will be [fn]condemned. Psalm 34:22 (NASB)

God not only buys us out our bondage and debt to sin, but he also assures us that he will provide refuge for those who trust in him. Our future is tied to him and not to our ability to provide and protect what we need.

Prayer:
O LORD, God of heaven and earth, I place my life and my future in your hands. Please use me to bless others as I do your will. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek good and not evil, that you may live; And thus may the LORD God of hosts be with you, Just as you have said! Amos 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 17, 2014

Devotional:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in [fn]any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NASB)

We are comforted because we are heartbroken. We are comforted because we need a blessing. We are comforted because God loves us. We are comforted to comfort others. While each of the above statements is true, the last is the most crucial one. There is something about comfort that cannot be fully realized until it is shared with someone else. It is that final step in the healing process of grief, disappointment, hurt, and loss. Until we share the comfort we have received, until we pass it on to another, our comfort is weak and shallow and limited. Comfort — pass it on!

Prayer:
O LORD, God of heaven and earth, Creator of the universe, thank you for knowing my heart, caring about my concerns, and comforting me when I am wounded. Help me to share your grace, mercy, and comfort with someone else today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For it is better, if [fn]God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong. 1 Peter 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 18, 2014

Devotional:

and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you; 1 Thessalonians 3:12 (NASB)

"I'm not sure I can love them any more! My supply of love is gone, my capacity to love is exhausted." Yes, there are times when it seems others will exhaust our ability to love, either because of their need being so great or because of their unwillingness to love in return. How do we go on? We need a community of love; other believers who will support and love us. We need brothers and sisters in Christ who will pray for God to increase our capacity to love. We need to trust that in response to all of our prayers, God will pour more love into our hearts through his ever flowing stream of grace, the Holy Spirit (cf. Rom. 5:5). When love is low, don't withdraw or give up. Draw near to God and draw near to his people asking for his grace to help in your time of need (Heb. 4:16).

Prayer:
Dear Father, graciously pour your love into my heart and pour your love into the hearts of those in my family and church family. We need your help to love those around us more. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [fn]without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 19,2014

Devotional:

For God has not given us a spirit of [fn]timidity, but of power and love and [fn]discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NASB)

When we became Christians, Jesus gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38; Titus 3:3-7). The Spirit lives in us, making our bodies a Temple (1 Cor. 6:19-20) and blessing us in many ways (Romans 8). We can be courageous people even in the face of attack, criticism, and ridicule because of the Spirit's presence. The fruit that the Spirit produces (Gal. 5:22-23) and the love that the Spirit pours into our heart (Rom. 5:5) do not make us weak. Instead, the Spirit's presence is a powerful force to help us overcome sin (Rom. 8:13) and live self-disciplined lives.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for the Spirit's constant presence in my life. Please empower me with even greater courage and strength as I face the daily challenges in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Listen, my son, and be wise, And direct your heart in the way. Proverbs 23:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 20, 2014

Devotional:

but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.” Acts 1:8 (NASB)

God has a plan to reach the world with his grace. We start where we are and reach out to those around us. We then share the story of Jesus with those in our region. Then we reach out and take the gospel all over the world. As we offer ourselves to be used, we also trust that the Holy Spirit's power and presence will go with us.

Prayer:
Father, use me to reach those around me with your grace. bless our congregation as we share Jesus with those in our area. Father, I also ask that you bless our outreach efforts world-wide. Please use us to fulfill your plan to reach all nations with the message of Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whatever you do, do your work [fn]heartily, as for the Lord [fn]rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward [fn]of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23-24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 21, 2014

Devotional:
just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before [fn]Him. In love [fn]He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the [fn]kind intention of His will, Ephesians 1:4-5 (NASB)

God wants us as his holy children. That was his plan for us even before the world began. God paid the huge price of our adoption into his family — the sacrifice of his Son Jesus. God's motive in doing this? His desire and delight in loving us.

Prayer:
Loving Father and Holy God, my words cannot adequately express my thanks for your love and grace. I am honored to be one of your adopted children and want to bring you joy in the way I live. Forgive me for the times I have disappointed you or not lived up to what you desire of me. I want my life to be a holy thanksgiving to you for your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 23, 2014

Devotional:

Therefore [fn]be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, Ephesians 5:15-16 (NASB)

Even though we are God's holy children, we also need to be aware of what time it is in our world. The evil one still exercises his control over the hearts of many people. God wants us to "redeem the time," making the most of every opportunity we have to touch the lives of others with his grace and to resist the temptation and overcome the opposition of the evil one.

Prayer:
Give me wisdom, O LORD, to discern the best way to use my time and my influence. Open my eyes to see the temptation the evil one puts in my path. Give me courage to boldly stand for you and sensitivity to know the best way to bless others according to their needs. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! Psalm 34:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 24, 2014

Devotional:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Ephesians 6:10 (NASB)

Some of our strength to fight evil comes from our experiences in the past, from the encouragement of others, and from our knowledge of the truth in the Scriptures. Ultimately, however, our power comes from God's mighty power. Paul uses his letter to the Ephesians to remind Christians that this power is what raised Jesus from the dead (Eph 1:19-20). Through that power in us, God can do much more than we can ask or imagine (Eph 3:20-21). Most important of all, as we put on our spiritual armor and dedicate ourselves to spiritual discipline, God blesses us with his power and might. We can be strong in God's mighty power.

Prayer:
O LORD God Almighty, my Abba Father and loving Shepherd, strengthen me with your might and grace so that I can withstand the attacks and temptations of the evil one. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will [fn]care for itself. [fn]Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 25, 2014

Devotional:

Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6:11 (NASB)

So often we are focused only on the things we like, we are good at doing, or we are interested in accomplishing. God wants us to use every piece of his spiritual armor. He wants us to be disciplined and grow in the areas of our spiritual weakness and the areas we don't necessarily find exciting or interesting. Our evil opponent is crafty and will try to attack us in the areas of our weakness and vulnerability. So let's not just commit to be diligent in the areas of our interest and strength, but especially in those areas where we are not.

Prayer:
Father, strengthen me in the areas where I am most vulnerable to sin or lethargy. Open my eyes to help me see my areas of weakness. Rekindle my heart to passionately seek after your holiness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of man [fn]brings a snare, But he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted. Proverbs 29:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 26, 2014

Devotional:

For our struggle is not against [fn]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12 (NASB)

The battle we face is not a physical one. Instead, it is a spiritual battle with powers that we do not easily see and which are very powerful. We shouldn't dismiss this as an imaginary battle or as an irrelevant struggle. Just as clearly as Satan was crouching at Cain's door, desiring to have him, so he crouches at our door (Gen. 4:7). He will use his forces of evil to do all he can to defeat, destroy, or corrupt us. We must take this war seriously and recognize the spiritual power of our foe.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me for the times I have not taken the threat of evil seriously. Give me a holy revulsion for anything that is tied to what is unholy and opposed to your work and will. Let me not be deceived by temptation and deliver me from the power of the evil one in all of his forms. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 27, 2014

Devotional:

You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with [fn]songs of deliverance. Selah. Psalm 32:7 (NASB)

Out of the attacks of evil come the victories of God and the victory chants of God's people. Let's find our strength and protection in our holy God! Let's make God our hiding place, our source of security, and our hope in times of trouble.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for the confidence I have in your power and your might to deliver me from every attack of the evil one. You are worthy of all glory, honor, power, and praise. In the name of your Son and my Lord, Jesus Christ, I thank you for deliverance and praise you for you might. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are the [fn]gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 28, 2014

Devotional:

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but [fn]divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NASB)

In our battle against evil, we use the spiritual weapons of God that enable us to know the truth and the freedom that the truth brings. The devil's greatest tools are deception and death. God's grace allow us to see through the deception and demolish its falsifying grip on the minds of men and women. God's power has broken through the barrier of death and given us victory in Jesus Christ. Our task in this victory march? To obey our Lord and help others to do the same, finding his grace and power sufficient to help us overcome all that we face that could defeat us.

Prayer:
Father, please use me to defeat the power of the devil and his influence on the lives I love. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow. James 1:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 30, 2014

Devotional:

Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1 (NASB)

Humility about the future! We don't control tomorrow. At other times in our lives we may have taken tomorrow for granted; not so anymore. Tomorrow may not come. Tomorrow something horrible could happen. Tomorrow everything we possess could be gone. In the face of these discouraging possibilities, is there anything positive we can hold onto? Absolutely! We know that God holds tomorrow in his hands. We know that because our life is hidden with Christ in God (cf. Col. 3:1-4) our tomorrow is secure. It might not be what we expect. It might not go as we planned. But, it will go as God determines and it will end up with us sharing in his comfort, victory, and glory.

Prayer:
Father, my tomorrows all rest in your hands. I ask that I can be useful to you today; courageous enough not to worry about tomorrow, and loyal enough to not waver in my love for you and my commitment to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is the man who has made the LORD his trust, And has not [fn]turned to the proud, nor to those who lapse into falsehood. Psalm 40:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 1, 2014

Devotional:

I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!” Psalm 91:2 (NASB)

"In God we trust." That's the phrase written on much of the money in the United States. It's a great reminder. The financial climate ebbs and flows, always vulnerable to instability in the world. Only God is our refuge and fortress during the storms of life. He is eternal. He desires to bless us. He has earned our trust.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I am so thankful that I can trust my life with you. Mold me and use me in ways that are a blessing to others. You are my source of security and strength. Please continue to make your presence known in my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast [fn]about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 2, 2014

Devotional:

For what the Law could not do, [fn]weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of [fn]sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:3-4 (NASB)

Jesus did what we could not do; he lived perfectly before God. He showed that sin isn't a necessity in our lives and that it does not have to hold us captive. He poured out his Spirit on us so that we could not only share in his forgiveness and cleansing grace, but also so that we could have power to live in a way that pleases God. Jesus is our sin offering and our Savior.

Prayer:
Thank you Father for providing the sacrifice for my sin. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for being willing to pay the awful price to ransom me from that sin. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for living in me and empowering me to live for God. Thank you, O God, for your salvation! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“FOR THE EYES OF THE LORD ARE TOWARD THE RIGHTEOUS, AND HIS EARS ATTEND TO THEIR PRAYER, BUT THE FACE OF THE LORD IS AGAINST THOSE WHO DO EVIL.” 1 Peter 3:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 3, 2014

Devotional:

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep [fn]in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:14 (NASB)

Jesus' resurrection was just the beginning! His resurrection means that those of us who have faith in him, who trust in the Father that raised him from the dead, can have confidence that those who belong to him, whether they are living or dead when he comes, will also share in his victory over death.

Prayer:
Loving Father in heaven, thank you for giving me the victory over sin and death in Jesus. I know that just as you raised him from the dead, you will also raise me up at the great day of Jesus' return. Please use that resurrection power in me to help me live more victoriously today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his [fn]life. Proverbs 16:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 4, 2014

Devotional:

For if we have become [fn]united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be [fn]in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old [fn]self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be [fn]done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; Romans 6:5-6 (NASB)

Paul reminds us that our baptism was more than just a dunking in water. In baptism, we shared in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. What he did to save us is now shared with us. We die to sin and are raised to be a new person, cleansed and made holy, empowered by the Holy Spirit. We have been set free from the power and the penalty of sin.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for giving me new life in Jesus. I am truly thankful that my guilt is covered by your grace. I ask for the power to live my life of freedom from sin. Forgive me for my times of mediocrity and flirtation with sin. Give me a strong sense of revulsion toward anything that would pollute my soul or distract my heart from your will. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore [fn]consider the members of your earthly body as dead to [fn]immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which [fn]amounts to idolatry. Colossians 3:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 5, 2014

Devotional:

so that we confidently say, “THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?” Hebrews 13:6 (NASB)

How can we be confident in what happens today? What is our assurance for tomorrow? Where do we muster excitement about eternity? The Lord is our helper! Fear will not be our master because our future, our destiny, our eternity rest in the hands of the eternal Lord. The worst that man can do is to send me home to my Lord.

Prayer:
Almighty God, my Father and my helper, I place my trust in you. As the Alpha and Omega, I trust you for all of my tomorrows and place my trust and dependence in you for today. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the choir director. A Psalm of David. How blessed is he who considers the [fn]helpless; The LORD will deliver him in a day of [fn]trouble. Psalm 41:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 7, 2014

Devotional:

Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NASB)

God is working in us to conform our character and will to be like his own. God is a giver. God finds delight in generously blessing us. Now he asks us to do the same. Giving is not some arbitrary task given us to support our churches and ministries; no, giving is part of our character transformation to become more like God. It may be one of the truest ways we have placed our allegiance, dependence, and priorities in the gracious work of God.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me for the times I have been miserly with the abundance you have shared with me. Make me a conduit of blessings. I know that all I have is yours. Please help me use it as you would. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 8, 2014

Devotional:

for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:8 (NASB)

We are the Lord's. He bought us out of bondage to sin and death. We have voluntarily placed our lives in his hands. No matter what we do or where we go, his grace goes with us. He has promised to never leave us. He has assured us that nothing can separate us from his love. So let's live with a sense of excited anticipation, looking to see where the Lord will lead us. Let us face difficulty, and even death, with the assurance that we will not face tough times alone. Even in the shadow of death, we don't have to fear what the evil can do. We are the Lord's.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for sending your Son to redeem me. Lord Jesus, thank you for coming to earth, paying the price for my sin, and sending the Holy Spirit to be your presence in me. Take my life and use it to your glory. May my faith not fail in the face of life's worst challenges. I pray that whether I live or I die that you be glorified in me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
‘For I am the LORD who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy.’” Leviticus 11:45 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 9, 2014

Devotional:

Honor the LORD from your wealth And from the first of all your produce; Proverbs 3:9 (NASB)

Honoring God comes first in everything. We don't give him the last, the least, or the leftovers. He gave us his best, most precious, and most perfect of gifts — his Son Jesus. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! How could we give him anything less than our best, our first, and our most precious?

Prayer:
Gracious God and loving Father, thank you for every good and perfect gift you have lavished upon me. Please accept the offering of my heart which I freely give to you. Soften it and make is gracious and generous like you. I commit to give you and your work in the world, my first and best. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer. But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who [fn]fear Him, And His [fn]righteousness to children’s children, To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them. Psalm 103:15-18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 10, 2014

Devotional:

“Come to Me, all [fn]who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)

I guess we could call it the irony of discipleship. To follow Christ means that we give up everything and follow him. To follow Christ means that we receive untold blessings in this life and eternal life with God in the life to come. So is it hard? Yes, sometimes it is. But life is hard. Is the burden light as Jesus promised? Yes, because we know our lives are not lived in vain, that we are living life as God intended it, and when life is over, it isn't really over! We get to go home and be with our Lord!

Prayer:
Give me courage, O God, to face the challenges that I must confront. Give me charity to deal appropriately with those I meet. Give me thankfulness for all that you have done to bless me. Give me clarity to see that living for Jesus is the best of all choices. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Like cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 11, 2014

Devotional:

Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. Romans 14:1 (NASB)

Our life in Christ is such a blessing! We welcome new Christians into our fellowship to share that blessing. We don't bring them in to scrutinize their past failures or the current struggles, but to bring them into the love of God's family. God has welcomed us graciously and compassionately. Let's do the same with new Christians.

Prayer:
Father, please make me more understanding and patient with my brothers and sisters in Christ, especially those who are new Christians. In Jesus' name I pray.

Wisdom:
“You shall therefore love the LORD your God, and always keep His charge, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commandments. Deuteronomy 11:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 14, 2014

Devotional:

and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you; 1 Thessalonians 3:12 (NASB)

God is love. God is also the source of love. He pours love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). So how do we make our churches, our families, our small groups, and communities more loving? We pray for God to grow the love in those in groups, let them know that we are praying that prayer for them, then communicate and demonstrate our love to those very same groups.

Prayer:
Father, use me to help be an example of love to those around me. Please pour your love into my heart through your Spirit and then channel that love out of my life to others. Please help the loving spirit in our our congregation grow more and more, not just to each other, but also to those around us who are not part of your Kingdom family. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
(“Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.”) Revelation 16:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 15, 2014

Devotional:

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. Romans 14:13 (NASB)

It is so easy to be judgmental of others. We don't know their struggles. We don't know their situation. Most of all, we don't know their hearts. When we are judgmental, we erect a barrier between others and ourselves. We often spread that judgmental impression to others in gossip. Our stubborness to only view them with a judgmental spirit erects a barrier, a stumbling block, that can cause them to become discouraged and stumble.

Prayer:
Father, please be with my attitude toward others. Help me be more patient with the failures of others, just as you are patient with mine. Forgive me for not being more of an encouragement to those who are weak and struggling. Forgive me for sometimes being a hindrance to others. Please use me to be a blessing. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. Hebrews 10:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 16, 2014

Devotional:

Who are you to judge the [fn]servant of another? To his own [fn]master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. Romans 14:4 (NASB)

Paul is talking about passing judgement on folks in matters that are central to our faith. He reminds us whose job it is to judge these sorts of matters. He also reminds us that the person we are judging actually belongs to the Lord and what right do we have to pass judgement on that person. So often we can fault with others, pass judgement on them about some inconsequential matter, but then never deal with the blatant sin in our own life. Let's remember that we will answer to God for what we do every bit as much as someone we are wrongly passing judgement upon.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me. I confess that I have wrongly passed judgement on others when I had no right or authority to do so. I know Jesus died to redeem them. I know you love them and have a plan for each of them. Please use me to be an encouragement, never a stumbling block, to them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3 (NASB)

Shiks

Reading the prayer of Jabez I got a wonderful revelation. His mother gave him his name which meant I bore him in pain as a mark that everyone who encountered him would associate him with pain. Jabez prayed and asked God to change his destiny,to break the chains and give his life,his ministry new meaning. His name to us now gives us hope because God changed things for him. That is so powerful.