Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
October 12, 2013

Devotional:

Oh, the depth of the riches [fn]both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM [fn]THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory [fn]forever. Amen. Romans 11:33-36 (NASB)

Some things in Scripture don't need commentary, explanations, or elaboration; they just need to be spoken and believed. I encourage you to memorize this short passage of praise and keep it close to your heart, and let it come from your lips during all your times of difficulty as well as times of bounty and blessing.

Prayer:
"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen."

Wisdom:
Buy truth, and do not sell it, Get wisdom and instruction and understanding. Proverbs 23:23 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 14, 2013

Devotional:

The memory of the righteous is blessed, But the name of the wicked will rot. Proverbs 10:7 (NASB)

Sometimes the wisdom of God is short, succinct, and sweet for those who seek to do his will. I want my children and grandchildren to remember me with sweet thoughts because their dad, and granddad, sought to be righteous and love the Lord with all his heart. I refuse to live the kind of life that poisons the lives of those I touch and leaves rot in the heritage of my descendants.

Prayer:
O Holy and Righteous Father, I want my character to be a blessing to my children, my children's children, and to my grandchildren's children. Please give me wisdom, discernment, tact, honor, integrity, and compassionate holiness in all my actions, words, demeanor, and influence. May I provide a godly influence and a righteous memory for those in both my physical and spiritual families. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The rich and the poor fnhave a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 15, 2013

Devotional:

Better is the little of the righteous Than the abundance of many wicked. For the arms of the wicked will be broken, But the LORD sustains the righteous. Psalm 37:16-17 (NASB)

What do we want to be the basis of our security? Will it be what we can do, accomplish, achieve, earn, and hoard? Or will it be our God, who has shown himself faithful throughout generations upon generations? We get to choose! So what will be your choice? In what will you find your security?

Prayer:
Almighty God, you are the Father of Israel, God of the nations, and my Abba Father. I place my trust in you. I know that my money, possessions, achievements, and abilities are not my own. You have blessed me with these to honor you and bring your grace to others. Please keep my heart pure and focused on you. Gently purge my heart of pride and selfishness. Please pour your blessing out on me so that I might bring you greater glory and those I love your gracious blessings. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is one who pretends to be rich, but has nothing; Another [fn]pretends to be poor, but has great wealth. Proverbs 13:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 16, 2013

Devotional:

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. Romans 8:16-17 (NASB)

Your Brother died and left you the family inheritance! That's the message here. Because we have God's Spirit, we are God's children. If we are God's children, then we are heirs of all that God has to offer us. We are co-heirs with Christ, whose death made our adoption into God's family possible. So if we have to put up with some hard times or some painful difficulties, we will not despair. We know the time is coming when we will inherit all the blessings of heaven!

Prayer:
Father, thank you for your grace. I need you to pour out that grace more and more. Please help me bear up under the weight of my trials and temptations with character and faithfulness. Please give me the courage to hang on through the tough times because I know that I will eventually share heaven with you. Thank you for your Spirit, my assurance that I am your child and that I will share in all of your blessings. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“The [fn]beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 17, 2013

Devotional:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18 (NASB)

Is it worth it? Oh yes! It's more than worth it. We can't begin to imagine the glory God has in store for us. No matter how hard, bad, or painful our trip through this world may be, our future with God holds something incomparably better. Does that mean my difficulties are meaningless or insignificant? Absolutely not! But our future glory with God does mean that it is more than worth it to hang in, to be faithful, and to receive his glorious reward!

Prayer:
Father, I confess that I don't like suffering, pain, disappointment, persecution, or sorrow. I do, however, believe that your promises are true. I hold on to the promise that the glory you have in store for me is far greater than the difficulties I face. Strengthen me for the days ahead and use me to bring you glory no matter what my current situation may be. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver. Proverbs 16:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 18, 2013

Devotional:

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the [fn]saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27 (NASB)

Most of us will face very difficult circumstances in our lives. When we do, we will likely feel that our prayers just bounce off the ceiling. Our words will seem empty and useless. We can't seem to verbalize what is on our hearts. We feel like our words are ineffective and insufficient. So what do we do? We trust this promise. We go to God in prayer! Even when we don't have words to say, we offer our hearts to him, trusting that the Holy Spirit takes those thoughts, emotions, and inarticulate frustrations to God. The Spirit makes our hearts known to God, interceding for us according to God's will. Even when we don't have words, the Spirit makes our needs known. What a tremendous reassuring grace!

Prayer:
Abba Father, it is so comforting to know that my words, thoughts, and emotions are all presented to you through your Holy Spirit. Father, there are times when I feel inadequate and unworthy to approach you. Thank you for giving me the assurance that you will always hear me even when I can’t find the words to say. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who [fn]fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 19, 2013

Devotional:

that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, Ephesians 3:16-17 (NASB)

What's the greatest thing we can do to bless those we love in Christ Jesus? What is the most helpful thing we can do when a brother or sister in Christ, or even a whole congregation of God's people is facing a major challenge from the Evil One? What is one of the greatest gifts we can give to our children or our parents as they seek to live for Jesus today? The apostle Paul just showed us. We can ask God to strengthen his people with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in their inner being. Then we can let them know that we have prayed this for them, and that we will continue to pray it until their storm is past.

Prayer:
Gracious God and Almighty Father, please bless... (mention several people specifically by name as you pray) with your power and presence through the Holy Spirit. I will continue to do all I can to encourage and strengthen them, but I believe that they need your Spirit's power far more than anything I could do for them. Thank you for hearing my prayer in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wise in heart will be called understanding, And sweetness of [fn]speech increases [fn]persuasiveness. Proverbs 16:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 21, 2013

Devotional:

so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the [fn]saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19 (NASB)

Paul wants us to be solidly connected to each other in love. More than being able to understand all the unfathomable mysteries of the universe or the deep teachings of Scripture, knowing and sharing the love of Christ enables us to bring God's full blessing to others. While knowledge can be good, love is greater still. While power can be helpful, love is more helpful still. While experience can teach us many things, love teaches us to use what we know to bless. Let's be a people whose lives are lived in the environment of love. (cf. 1 Cor. 13)

Prayer:
Father, pour your love into my heart through the Holy Spirit and pour it out into the lives of those around me through me. Make me an instrument of your grace so that your love will be felt in clear and unmistakable ways by those whom my life impacts. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat. Proverbs 13:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 22, 2013

Devotional:

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations [fn]forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 (NASB)

What is your biggest dream? God longs to do more than that through you! The real question is whether or not you will believe it, receive it, share it and then give him the glory for it!

Prayer:
God, you are glorious, generous, and gracious. You have blessed me physically and spiritually with so many wonderful touches of your grace. I praise you for your faithfulness. I thank you for your grace. I exalt your name above every other name and hold it as a personal treasure. Please be glorified in me -- my speech, may actions, my influence, my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My son, observe the commandment of your father And do not forsake the [fn]teaching of your mother; Proverbs 6:20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 23, 2013

Devotional:

but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 1 Corinthians 1:27 (NASB)

The Cross is such an offensive symbol when viewed in its most basic and raw form. For God to become human flesh and live among us is unbelievable enough. For God to be subject to the vagaries and rigors of mortality and human needs is unthinkable. For God to endure the indignities and inhumanities of the Cross is preposterous. But, that is the Gospel. What appears to be foolish, weak, and offensive has the power to re-make us and inspire us to unparalleled faith. When we come to the Cross and Resurrection of Jesus, we come to the impossible which was accomplished by God's grace for us and in us. Only God would bring us salvation in such a way.

Prayer:
Holy and gracious Father, I know that the Cross may be silly to some people. I know that many people who wear the Cross as a symbol don't honor it. But Father, I confess that Jesus' willingness to go to the Cross for me is powerfully convicting and amazingly reassuring. Thank you for this gift of love and sacrifice of grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wise in heart will be called understanding, And sweetness of [fn]speech increases [fn]persuasiveness. Proverbs 16:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 24, 2013

Devotional:

But [fn]by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, [fn]and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 1 Corinthians 1:30 (NASB)

God's grace has brought us into a saving relationship with Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As believers, we recognize that Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross was much more than a terrible miscarriage of justice and the murder of a good and decent man. Jesus is God's wisdom, a wisdom to convince us of his love. Jesus is our righteousness; taking our sins upon himself he made us righteous. Jesus is our ongoing holiness. His blood cleanses us at the beginning and continues to do so today. Jesus is our holiness; his death means our righteousness. Jesus is our ransom payment, redeeming us from sin and death. Jesus is our everything!

Prayer:
Almighty and Abba God, thank you for your holiness and righteousness. Thank you for your gracious forgiveness. Mold in me a heart like your Son's heart. Make from me a more usable vessel for your Kingdom work. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 25, 2013

Devotional:

The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9 (NASB)

As we seek to pass on the faith to our children, our friends, our younger spiritual "children" in the faith, we must remember Paul's example. He taught the truth; passed on the truth that had been revealed and passed on to him; he displayed that truth in his life; Paul then called on the people he was mentoring to put this truth into practice in their daily lives. This would enable them to fully experience the presence of God in their lives and find the peace that God so longs to give them.

Prayer:
Father, help me be a better teacher in word and deed as I seek to influence those around me, those who need my help in their Christian walk, and those in my family seeking to grow in your grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not say, “I will repay evil”; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you. Proverbs 20:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 26, 2013

Devotional:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4 (NASB)

Sometimes the squabbles of church can be discouraging and cause us to lose sight of the incredible blessings we have in God's family. We have many reasons to rejoice in the Lord. Let's not lose sight of those, especially when those around us get caught up in pettiness and rivalry. Let's remember our hope is in the crucified Nazarene, who is also our resurrected Lord and ever-present Savior.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for the joy I have in knowing Jesus. I rejoice in the salvation you have brought me through his death and resurrection. With joy I anticipate the day of great celebration when he returns to share your glory with me and all those who long for his coming. Even in my darkest moments of despair, I thank you for the flame of hope and the assurance of victory that sustains my deep and abiding joy of being your child. In the name of my Savior, the Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the upright will [fn]live in the land And the blameless will remain in it; But the wicked will be cut off from the land And the treacherous will be uprooted from it. Proverbs 2:21-22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 28, 2013

Devotional:

Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is [fn]near. Philippians 4:5 (NASB)

Extravagant over-reaction! That's what we're programmed to seek and to display in our modern world of sound bytes and over-hyped personality. But gentleness, that moderating grace in the midst of chaos and conflict, is so vital to bring the peace of God to conflict-laden churches, families, and relationships. How can we be gentle, how can we restrain from over-reacting to the wounds, offenses, and slights that come our way? The Lord is near! He is our vindication. He is our example. He is our comfort. He is our hope. He is our strength. He is near. We are not alone and our destiny, reputation, and value are not up to us to establish or to defend.

Prayer:
O LORD, my Father God, please be ever near me as I seek to be your person of character in the middle of the chaos and conflict around me. I ask that your presence be made known and that my character reflect that presence in all that I do and say today, each day that follows. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is gold, and an abundance of [fn]jewels; But the lips of knowledge are a more precious thing. Proverbs 20:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 29, 2013

Devotional:

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6 (NASB)

Anxiety is worry over things which we cannot control and which we do not remove from our thoughts. Anxiety dominates and controls a passive mind and a troubled heart, filling both with doubt, fear, and dread. But, anxiety cannot be removed; it must be replaced. We remove our anxiety by giving our concerns an dworries to the Lord, trusting him to care for us. Then, as we give him thanks for what he has done and what he is doing in our lives, we replace those concerns and worries with a genuine sense of his presence. As a result, our confidence in his future for us can return.

Prayer:
Father, I know you love me. You have done so much to bless and save me. I deliberately place the worries and concerns of my heart in your hands... (specifically mention the things that burden your heart today) Father, I also want to thank you for the many ways you have blessed me over my life... (specifically mention blessings you have received from God) Now, dear Father, please fill my heart with your Spirit and my mind with the sense of your presence and peace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil. Proverbs 3:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 30, 2013

Devotional:

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all [fn]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB)

What guards your heart? What protects your mind? Did you know that the peace of God can stand guard over our hearts and minds? That's the apostle Paul's promise to us in this passage. If we will present our requests to God, with thanksgiving, then God's peace that is greater than any explanation and that transcends our ability to comprehend it, will stand sentry over our hearts and minds. You want an example of how this is true? Look at the book of Job. All that befalls him. All that wounds him. Yet still he doesn't become hard of heart or go insane. What is the key to his survival? His ongoing conversation with the LORD. He will not relinquish that relationship no matter how badly he hurts, how much he is confused, nor how badly he is ridiculed.

Prayer:
Father, I need your peace. There are wounds that pierce my heart, but I don't want it to become hardened and callused. There are times my mind is so confused that I fear I may lose my rationality. Dear Father, I trust that as I cling to Jesus, and as I speak openly with you about my life and your grace, that you will bless me with your peace and will protect my heart and my mind from destruction. Thank you, dear Father, for the reminder that even as I struggle with my troubles, I also need to give you thanks for all the good things that you have blessed me with in my life and my walk with you! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A righteous man who walks in his integrity— How blessed are his sons after him. Proverbs 20:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 31, 2013

Devotional:

Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 1 Corinthians 15:1 (NASB)

Our hope, our salvation, and our foundation for faith is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This Gospel is the same as that Gospel first preached by the apostles and passed on to the believers in the early church. With so many confusing and conflicting ideas present in the world, we need to go back and be reminded of our simple faith in Jesus and his death, burial and resurrection. We need to unclutter our hearts from all the ideas and issues that so often divide our churches and rip apart our fellowships and hear the words of the old hymn, "Simply to Thy Cross I cling." Today, let's be reminded of that simple Gospel of Jesus and build our life there.

Prayer:
Almighty and Precious Father, I love you. I cannot begin to thank you enough for your love and grace, displayed so powerfully to me in Jesus. I know the basis for my hope and the foundation on which I build my life is the Gospel of your dear Son. Thank you for giving me something so simple, steadfast, and sure. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My son, do not reject the [fn]discipline of the LORD Or loathe His reproof, For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights. Proverbs 3:11-12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 1, 2013

Devotional:

by which also you are saved, if you hold fast fnthe word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:2 (NASB)

What saves us? What God did for us in Jesus! Let's make a commitment to let nothing make us relinquish our trust and dependency upon that hope, that Gospel by which we are saved. There is no other name, no other Gospel, no other message that can give us salvation (see Acts 4:12; Gal. 1:3-9; Col. 2:6-16). We don't need to add anything else to it. We must never let anyone take anything away from it. Let's hold firmly to this faith, this trust, in God's grace given to us in Jesus!

Prayer:
Father, I trust in no other God but you. I trust in no other Gospel but the story of your love and grace in Jesus. As the old hymn so beautifully puts it, I ask dear Father that I may "never, ever, outlive my love for Thee." In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, And whoever [fn]is intoxicated by it is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 2, 2013

Devotional:

For I delivered to you[fn]as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 1 Corinthians 15:3-5 (NASB)

Some things are "first importance" things. They lie at the heart of the matter and are central to the issue at hand. For us as Christians, we don't have to doubt what those "first importance" things are. The Gospel of our salvation is built on one simple foundation: Jesus died, Jesus was buried, Jesus rose from the grave, and Jesus appeared to his disciples who were never the same after witnessing their resurrected Savior. Let's not let anyone distract us from these core truths or crowd out their simplicity with other matters they may claim to be essential. Our salvation is rooted in our faith and our participation in this simple, yet powerful Gospel.

Prayer:
Dear God, I confess my faith in your work for me in Jesus. I believe that your Son and my Savior, Jesus, was crucified by wicked men just as you had said long ago in your Word. I believe his dead and lifeless body was placed in the tomb. I believe that on the third day, you brought him back to life, just as you promised. I believe that those most destroyed by his death, those who knew him best, saw him alive again. I believe their lives were never the same. I believe, dear Father, that as I have confessed my faith in Jesus and shared with him in his death, burial, and resurrection through baptism, that my life is caught up with him in your salvation and victory over death. I praise you for this grace. I thank you for this assurance. I look forward to sharing in your glory when he returns for me. Thank you for my salvation, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, Proverbs 6:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 4, 2013

Devotional:

If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. 1 Corinthians 15:19 (NASB)

Wow, what a powerful and sobering thought. Our faith in Jesus' resurrection, and our faith in being joined to him, is so crucial that all else pales in comparison. Our hope in Christ is not just for here and now, but it is also a hope that transcends life and bursts the shackles of death. If it doesn't offer us this hope, then it is no hope at all; it is not really good news. We are deluded and to be pitied. But then, I do believe! That, my friend, changes everything!

Prayer:
Father God, the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, I believe that your victory over death in Jesus' resurrection also means my victory over death! I trust that Jesus will raise me up from the dead to share life eternal with you. I cannot tell you how much I look forward to being with you face to face and sharing in your glory and praising your name forever. In Jesus' name I praise and thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Many plans are in a man’s heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand. Proverbs 19:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 5, 2013

Devotional:

I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. Philippians 4:12-13 (NASB)

Life is full of ups and downs. So much of what we hold dear can be touched by death, disaster, and decay. What do we have that is certain? To whom can we turn for assurance? Where do we find the power to live victoriously in good times and bad? In the Lord who gives us strength!

Prayer:
O LORD God, Father of all creation, I confess that my life and the circumstances in which I try to live it are beyond my ability to control. I thank you for being present to comfort, protect, guide, and empower me to face each situation with confidence and assurance. Because you are with me, O loving Shepherd, I know I will have all I need to live victoriously for you until the day I go to share with you in your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“For he who finds me finds life And obtains favor from the LORD. “But he who [fn]sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.” Proverbs 8:35-36 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 6, 2013

Devotional:

And my God will supply [fn]all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (NASB)

Throughout Scripture, God reminds us that if our trust is in him and if we share his blessings with others, he will make sure we have all that we need. How can we be sure? Look at Jesus!

Prayer:
Dear Father, please forgive me for trying to find my security and hope in things other than you. I know that there is no other source of hope, freedom, and security than you. Help me tear down every idol that I may have erected that dilutes or distorts my trust in you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Death and life are in the [fn]power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 7, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]Ill-gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death. Proverbs 10:2 (NASB)

Wealth, especially wealth gotten through greedy and wicked means, proves to be of no lasting value. This rancid wealth rots the heart of the one who gets it and it cannot save us from our ultimate demise. Righteousness, however, is a far more precious treasure. This righteousness of the Eternal God, this gift given to us by grace through faith, is greater than the limits of our mortality and powerful enough to buy our soul from death.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous God, please make me righteous in your sight. I want my greatest legacy to be my righteous character, not my status, achievement, or wealth. I know my accomplishments will be forgotten after my earthly life is over, but I am fully convinced that the righteousness that you work in me will be a blessing and an influence for generations after I am gone and will be my accompanying treasure when I share with you in your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 8, 2013

Devotional:

But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 1 Corinthians 15:20 (NASB)

"Why do you seek the living among the dead?" These words of the angel to the women who came to Jesus' tomb are also God's words to us. Jesus is risen! Not only that, he is the firstfruits from the dead. He is the guarantee that God's harvest will happen; he is our assurance that we, too, will be raised. Death no longer has a hold on us! We are God's eternal children and death cannot separate us from his presence or his love!

Prayer:
Father God, I praise you for your redeeming grace. I rejoice in your conquest over Satan and over his power to wound and destroy through death. I thank you for your power over the grave. Thank you for raising Jesus from the dead and giving me the assurance of life forever with you. Please bless me, dear Father, with a life that reflects the power that you have now working in me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 9, 2013

Devotional:

then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 1 Corinthians 15:24 (NASB)

Closing time! That's when everything is counted, the doors are locked, and the final tally is made. Jesus is Lord of closing time. Even though he won the victory over death and sin while he was here, we're still waiting to get swept up into in his victory march. But, that day is coming. Every knee will bow! Every evil power will face destruction. The hearts that are yielded to God, however, will be placed into his loving and mighty hands forever. Our Lord reigns!

Prayer:
Almighty God, Father of grace and mercy, I appreciate your tenderness and patience with me. However, Father, I am also comforted to know your power and might. I am heartened to know that Jesus will assert his rule and destroy everything false, malicious, evil, and wicked. May that day come, soon! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Laziness casts into a deep sleep, And an idle [fn]man will suffer hunger. Proverbs 19:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 11, 2013

Devotional:

For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be abolished is death. 1 Corinthians 15:25-26 (NASB)

How many times have you stood over the grave of a recently departed friend or loved one? When was the last time you tasted grief and separation from someone you dearly loved? I don't know about you, but I am so thankful that the Bible identifies death as one of Jesus' enemies. I am thankful that he hates death, and the damage and separation it causes, even more than I do. I am filled with joy to know that death will be destroyed and immortality and life will be given to the children of God!

Prayer:
Holy Father, please triumph with life and mercy in the lives of those I know that are wrestling with emotional, spiritual, and physical death. Triumph in their lives through your power and your grace. I look forward to the day, dear Father, when death is no more. Lord Jesus, I not only pray this in your name, but I ask you to speed this day. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD will not allow the [fn]righteous to hunger, But He will [fn]reject the craving of the wicked. Proverbs 10:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 12, 2013

Devotional:

Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised [fn]imperishable, and we will be changed. For this [fn]perishable must put on [fn]the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (NASB)

I'm going to be changed! You're going to be changed! We're not talking about a new wardrobe or haircut. We're not talking about a new car or a new place to live. We are talking major, heavy duty overhaul! We're going to be made immortal. We're going to become indestructible. We will no longer be perishable goods! We're bound for glory.

Prayer:
Inspire my faith, dear Lord, to trust your timing and to lean upon your grace. I believe that you not only know all the mysteries, but that you hold all triumphs in your hand. Please make me victorious, O LORD Almighty, through the mighty work of your Son. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whoever loves [fn]discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid. Proverbs 12:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 13, 2013

Devotional:

But when this [fn]perishable will have put on [fn]the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. 1 Corinthians 15:54 (NASB)

As Christians, even if our bodies die, we don't! Our physical death just means that we will be given immortal bodies. Christ will raise us up and clothe us with immortality. Death will not have a hold on us because we are God's children. Victory is ours. Death does not have the final word; Jesus does, and he says, "Rise!"

Prayer:
Father, I know that my physical earthly body is fragile. Dear Father, I know that no matter how good a shape I stay in or how careful I am about my health, I cannot stop the process of physical death in my body. But I am excited to know that even though my physical body will fail, you won't fail. Even though my human body is fragile, I know you are powerful and triumphant. Father, I do look forward to the day of victory when death is swallowed up by the glory and power of Jesus' return for me and transformation of me. Until that day, dear God, I serve you with joy as I look forward to seeing you face to face. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity Than he who is perverse in [fn]speech and is a fool. Proverbs 19:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 14, 2013

Devotional:

“O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” 1 Corinthians 15:55 (NASB)

Death has the power to end life. Death has the power to separate. Death has the power to discourage and defeat us. But, we know the truth; Jesus lives! Because he lives, we know we will live with him. We believe that his victory over death is our victory. So like Jesus, we mock death and its power to destroy us. Jesus has destroyed death and brought immortality to life... in us through the Gospel.

Prayer:
Father, I confess that the death of those I love still hurts me. I thank you that my separation from them will only be for a short time. I thank you, however, that death doesn't separate me for long from those I love and who love you. Thank you for giving me the victory in Jesus. Thank you Jesus for defeating death. In your precious and triumphant name, Jesus Christ the Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, But the hand of the diligent makes rich. Proverbs 10:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 15, 2013

Devotional:

but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57 (NASB)

Life is ours! Death no longer holds us captive! Victory has been given to us! Jesus is Lord. What else needs to be said? "Praise God!"

Prayer:
Thank you, Father, for sending Jesus. Thank you, Almighty God, for raising him from the dead. Thank you for the assurance that his life is alive in me as I serve in you. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
A man will be praised according to his insight, But one of perverse [fn]mind will be despised. Proverbs 12:8 (NASB)