Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
April 23, 2013

Devotional:

"You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve Him and cling to Him, and you shall swear by His name. Deuteronomy 10:20 (NASB)

What do you find yourself holding onto most often? What is your source of security, reassurance, hope, and stability in times of trouble? What do you encourage folks to do and who do you encourage them to hold onto during times of trouble?

Prayer:

Dear God and Abba Father, please be with a number of people I know that are undergoing great trials and temptations. Use me to bless them and encourage them. Please uphold them by your powerful hand. Finally, dear Father, strengthen and empower them to hold on to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Seek good and not evil, that you may live; And thus may the LORD God of hosts be with you, Just as you have said! Amos 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 24, 2013

Devotional:

"He is your praise and He is your God, who has done these great and awesome things for you which your eyes have seen. Deuteronomy 10:21 (NASB)

He is our praise! The God who parted the Red Sea and supplied manna to the Israelites in the wilderness is also the God who did the most amazing miracles in us -- he has turned our selfish hearts to do his will and turned our lives to do his eternal work in the world. Then, after doing those things in us, he has gifted us and empowered us to do those things he has placed in our hearts. He is our praise, the One we worship and the One who makes us worthy worshippers!

Prayer:

You are worthy, Abba Father, of all glory, honor, and praise. You have done great and mighty works through the history of your people, Israel -- most of whom were everyday people. Thank you for using me to do your work in my world as well. I praise you, dear Father, for using everyday folks to do your eternal work. In the name of Jesus, my brother and King, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For it is better, if [fn]God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong. 1 Peter 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 25, 2013

Devotional:

"You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved. Matthew 10:22 (NASB)

Jesus' words are very strong! His emphasis is for a reason. Christians need to realize that they are not going to be the dominant culture. Discipleship can be hard and demanding; most folks want things simple and easy. The values that disciples are called to put into place in their lives are not going to be the dominant cultural ones. "So be ready!" Jesus is telling us. "Be ready to face criticism and rejection." But while we know it may be an uphill battle to change the hearts of men and women, we can be God's tool to bless others and to lead them closer to him! And for us, salvation in all its glory awaits us at the end of the journey.

Prayer:

Forgive me, please dear Father, for the times I have grown impatient with the world around and started seeing it as the enemy rather than as the target of your grace. Please give me the wisdom and the courage to balance my understanding of the world with your passion to redeem it. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [fn]without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 26, 2013

Devotional:

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own good, but that of his [fn]neighbor. 1 Corinthians 10:23-24 (NASB)

Freedom is a wonderful gift! Freedom in Christ is greater than any other kind of freedom. God entrusts it to us. But, we don't want to use our freedom to impinge on someone else's freedom. We don't want our liberty to cause others to sin or to lose sight of Christ. So let's use our freedom wisely and redemptively!

Prayer:

Precious God and Almighty Father, thank you for the very many gifts you have poured into my life. I want to especially thank you for my spiritual freedom. Empower me to use it to bless others and build them up, rather than bringing glory to myself. Please help me see others as the place of your work in the world. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Listen, my son, and be wise, And direct your heart in the way. Proverbs 23:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 27, 2013

Devotional:

Correct me, O LORD, but with justice; Not with Your anger, or You will [fn]bring me to nothing. Jeremiah 10:24 (NASB)

I love a request that a good friend regularly makes of the Lord: "Humble me gently, Father." Transformation is hard work and requires even more patience on God's part than it does on our part. We thank God for his grace which lets us admit our sin and yet still come into his holy and awesome presence. Thankfully he doesn't treat us as we deserve, but as we need (cf. Psalm 103).

Prayer:
Dear God, I sin. I don't like it that I do, but I still find myself succumbing to some of my long-standing weaknesses. Please correct me and put me on the path of righteousness. Even more than wanting to please you, I want to honor you, so please, gently and consistently rid my heart of duplicity, deceit, and spiritual weakness. Nurture me in holiness. Change me to be more like Christ the Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whatever you do, do your work [fn]heartily, as for the Lord [fn]rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward [fn]of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23-24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 29, 2013

Devotional:

FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND [fn]ALL IT CONTAINS. 1 Corinthians 10:26 (NASB)

When we talk about giving to God, or to the work of God, we must remember that it is all his. He doesn't need our gifts to do his work. On the other hand, we do need to share the blessings he has entrusted to us. What we 'have' isn't really ours; it's all his, entrusted to us to be put into useful service to others for God's work and God's glory.

Prayer:

Almighty God and Creator of the universe, I praise your creative genius revealed through the incredible variety found in your creation. Please be with us, your human children, as we seek to be faithful stewards of this wonderful gift. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! Psalm 34:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 30, 2013

Devotional:

But certain [fn]worthless men said, "How can this one deliver us?" And they despised him and did not bring him any present. But he kept silent. 1 Samuel 10:27 (NASB)

Some folks didn't want Saul to serve them as King because of his simple background and non-aristocratic family history. So often, we tend to do the same thing today -- label people and discount their ability to lead God's people or serve in God's Kingdom because of their heritage or past. God, however, doesn't look at a person's pedigree. He searches the heart. So, dear leader, please stick close to the Lord, because you will be criticized. But please, don't react to every little criticism; instead, devote yourself to serving the LORD boldly.

Prayer:

Dear God, please forgive me for the times I doubted your selection of leaders. Please give me, along with my congregation, the ability to discern who your leaders are in our midst. Please give them the courage to lead unselfishly and faithfully. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will [fn]care for itself. [fn]Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 1, 2013

Devotional:

The hope of the righteous is gladness, But the expectation of the wicked perishes. Proverbs 10:28 (NASB)

Good news! When we seek righteousness, justice, holiness, mercy, and godliness, our future is full of joy. Don't let the darkness around you steal away the glorious dawn of joy that even now has begun to appear.

Prayer:

Father, please forgive me for the times I've grown depressed and melancholy over the condition of my world and culture. Thank you, dear Father, for the promise of victory and of glorious blessings that lie ahead. Please help me keep my eyes on your victory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

The fear of man [fn]brings a snare, But he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted. Proverbs 29:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 2, 2013

Devotional:

How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:29 (NASB)

We often look at the swift and dramatic discipline and punishment God used with his people in the Old Testament and are struck by its severity. The Holy Spirit reminds us that while this is true, to spurn grace and ridicule the sacrificial death of Jesus are actions all the more worthy of God's punishment. Grace is incredible. It is marvelous. But to reject it, to reject Jesus and all that he did to bring it, is to court disaster and reject any source of true grace.

Prayer:

Holy and righteous Father, thank you so much for your painful and costly gift of grace. Please empower me to be a carrier of that grace to others. Give me the ability to share it in all its loveliness so others can know your salvation and not face your justice after having rejected your gracious gift of Jesus in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 3, 2013

Devotional:

The righteous will never be shaken, But the wicked will not dwell in the land. Proverbs 10:30 (NASB)

This promise is even truer for those of us who live on this side of Calvary and the empty tomb! As Paul said it, "our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." The righteous will never be uprooted from their true homeland for no one and no power can steal it, corrupt it, destroy it, or take it away!

Prayer:

Father, thank you for declaring me righteous by the atoning death of Jesus. Please transform me more and more each day to be righteous in all I say, think, and do. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Blessed are the [fn]gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 4, 2013

Devotional:

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NASB)

As humans, we are often quick to quibble over things we feel are important to us when others don't share our enthusiasm -- especially food, holidays, and special events. This problem is often more a sign of insecurity than it is a mark of sincerity. We are to do what we do based on our commitment to honor the Lord, not because others do it or approve of it. At the same time, we want to be careful about judging others for what they do or do not celebrate, eat, or drink. The bottom line when judging such things: Can we do it to honor the Lord?

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, forgive my foolishness and silliness. I find myself getting so worked up over meaningless things and forgetting to keep my focus on the matters and people that are important to you. May all I do today, and every day, be done as a conscious decision to honor you and bring you respect. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow. James 1:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 6, 2013

Devotional:

Now faith is the [fn]assurance of things [fn]hoped for, the [fn]conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 (NASB)

"I believe, but help my unbelief!" That's what the father of the boy with convulsions said to Jesus (Mark 5). This must sometimes be our prayer, too. As we look at the great heroes of faith in Hebrews 11, we know this must have been their prayer as well. Their faith wasn't always perfect. Their trust wasn't always mature. But, they stayed at it; they believed and acted with a relentless assurance that somehow, some way, God would act and deliver. Let's stay at it with that kind of faith, too!

Prayer:

Dear God, I believe, but help my unbelief. Please mature and empower my faith so that my life will be a steadfast and consistent testimony to your presence and grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

How blessed is the man who has made the LORD his trust, And has not [fn]turned to the proud, nor to those who lapse into falsehood. Psalm 40:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 7, 2013

Devotional:

And He said to them, "When you pray, say: ' [fn]Father, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. 'Give us each day our [fn]daily bread. 'And forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.'" Luke 11:2-4 (NASB)

Rather than long, ornate, and lofty prayers, God wants us to approach him as Father, and speak with him about the most basic everyday issues of our lives!

Prayer:

Dear Father, thank you for being a holy God who is also near. Please do your will in my life and use me to your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast [fn]about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 8, 2013

Devotional:

By faith we understand that the [fn]worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. Hebrews 11:3 (NASB)

Where did it all come from? Where did matter, energy, and time come from? How did our universe come to possess order and structure, when all we know about our existence moves to decay, disorder, and death? By faith, we know it came from the articulated design of our Heavenly Father!

Prayer:

Thank you, dear God, for the wonderful world that you made. Thank you for the principles of order that govern our world and help us understand it. My heart soars at the variety and majesty of your creation. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

"FOR THE EYES OF THE LORD ARE TOWARD THE RIGHTEOUS, AND HIS EARS ATTEND TO THEIR PRAYER, BUT THE FACE OF THE LORD IS AGAINST THOSE WHO DO EVIL." 1 Peter 3:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 9, 2013

Devotional:

Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, But righteousness delivers from death. Proverbs 11:4 (NASB)

What is your primary investment? Only righteousness offers a truly long-term benefit!

Prayer:

Holy God, thank you for valuing what is good, holy, and righteous. I praise you for empowering me to develop those qualities in my character. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his [fn]life. Proverbs 16:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 10, 2013

Devotional:

the BLIND RECEIVE SIGHT and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the POOR HAVE THE [fn]GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM. Matthew 11:5 (NASB)

The clear sign of the Messiah's presence was a time of true blessedness for all who know and follow him. Just think how glorious it will be and all the blessings we will share when he comes again!

Prayer:

Lord God Almighty, I praise you for the time of blessing that accompanied Jesus' first coming to earth. I rejoice looking forward to his return and to the glorious blessings that await me and my brothers and sisters in Christ when our Savior returns. In anticipation of that Day, I thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore [fn]consider the members of your earthly body as dead to [fn]immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which [fn]amounts to idolatry. Colossians 3:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 11, 2013

Devotional:

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)

And just why do you serve God? ... fear? ... sense of obligation? ... because your parents did? How about because of your faith in what God has done and will do for us? I believe that God sent his Son Jesus to die for my sins so I could be forgiven, cleansed, and adopted as his child and could share in his presence forever in heaven. What's more, he longs to share his blessings and to reward those who believe in his grace and love!

Prayer:

Dear Father, thank you for my faith and all those who helped me come to know you and your grace. Please bless me as I seek to share this faith with my family and friends. Thank you for the confidence that my life is secure in your love and victorious because of your power. In Jesus' name I offer you my thanks, my praise, and my heart. Amen.

Wisdom:

For the choir director. A Psalm of David. How blessed is he who considers the [fn]helpless; The LORD will deliver him in a day of [fn]trouble. Psalm 41:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 13, 2013

Devotional:

For the LORD is righteous, He loves [fn]righteousness; The upright will behold His face. Psalm 11:7 (NASB)

Can you think of any greater promise for those who seek to be righteous and just? We will see God face to face! Incredible. What a blessing! What a future! What an incredible Father! (cf. 1 John 3:1-3)

Prayer:

Dear Father, Almighty King of the ages, thank you for your great and precious promises. I truly look forward to the day that I get to see you face to face and share in your eternal presence! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 14, 2013

Devotional:

"You shall therefore keep every commandment which I am commanding you today, so that you may be strong and go in and possess the land into which you are about to cross to possess it; Deuteronomy 11:8 (NASB)

God's desire that we obey his will is not arbitrary, impulsive, or demanding. He simply wants us to reflect his character, find his blessings, and receive his strength. Let's not look at obedience merely as something we must do, but as a blessing we get to discover.

Prayer:
LORD and Father, thank you for revealing your will and calling me to obey it. I know your desire is to share your blessings with me and bring me into your eternal presence. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
'For I am the LORD who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy.'" Leviticus 11:45 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 15, 2013

Devotional:

"You shall therefore keep every commandment which I am commanding you today, so that you may be strong and go in and possess the land into which you are about to cross to possess. They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea. Isaiah 11:9 (NASB)

What a glorious time of blessing! We will know God personally. But not just us, the vast chorus of the faithful will sing a song of joy because they know God. Let's anticipate that day and join our hearts together in pursuit of God. Let's not settle for merely a factual knowledge about God, but let's come to really know him by sharing in his work, by sharing in his character, and seeking his presence in our lives.

Prayer:

Dear Father, please be near to me today. I need to be aware of your presence no matter what today brings. I want you to be my eternal Shepherd who watches out over his sheep and the one whom I know as my Redeemer, Savior, and Friend. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer. But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who [fn]fear Him, And His [fn]righteousness to children's children, To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them. Psalm 103:15-18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 16, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]Thus you shall say to them, "The gods that did not make the heavens and the earth will perish from the earth and from under the [fn]heavens."

Jeremiah 10:11 (NASB)

Sometimes those with the greatest opportunity for blessings spurn them and fall back into the sinful habits of their heritage and culture. The consequences of this rejection of God, and his will, are enormous. For the last ten days in our devotionals, we've looked at the glorious future that lies ahead for us in our walk with Christ. Unfortunately, there are some who never climb on board the train of grace. They don't follow God and disdain those who do. In the face of their criticism, let's make sure we are truly faithful to God's calling, not just in word, but also in deed.

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, I look forward to being with you. Yet, dear Father, I face many challenges in commitment to be faithful. I don't want to fall into the bad and sinful habits of some who have gone before me and who rebelled against you. Please empower my faith to be like those who served you wholeheartedly. Please deliver me from any impure deed or thought. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Like cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 17, 2013

Devotional:

However, in the Lord, neither is woman [fn]independent of man, nor is man [fn]independent of woman. 1 Corinthians 11:11 (NASB)

"We are all one in Christ Jesus!" Paul told the Galatians (Gal. 3:26-29). Satan, however, constantly tries to divide God's people. One of his most effective means of division has been to divide men and women -- whether in families or churches. Paul reminds us that if Jesus is our Lord, we recognize we need each other and we are committed to placing value on each other. Rather than letting Satan divide us through our differences, we choose to unite around our Savior!

Prayer:
Holy God, in whose image I am made, please give me the courage to value and esteem all others as you value me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"You shall therefore love the LORD your God, and always keep His charge, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commandments. Deuteronomy 11:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 18, 2013

Devotional:
He who despises his neighbor lacks [fn]sense, But a man of understanding keeps silent. Proverbs 11:12 (NASB)

Wise folks don't have to prove their wisdom by disrespecting others and putting them down. Instead, they hold their tongues and let their lives speak what is good, honorable, righteous, and true.

Prayer:
Holy Father, give me wisdom in the way I use my speech. May it be a blessing to others and a source of praise to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
("Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.") Revelation 16:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 20, 2013

Devotional:

All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. Hebrews 11:13 (NASB)

I'm not good at waiting for much of anything. I'm like the kids who have seen the catalogues for Christmas toys and are anxious for the big gift day. God does have a great Gift Day ahead for us. On that wonderful day, all our waiting will be over and our faith will become sight. Let's follow the example of these great heroes of faith, and welcome that day from afar, by anticipation, praising God for his victory through Jesus Christ in our lives.

Prayer:

Victorious King, Ruler of the Ages, I praise you for the resurrection that lies ahead for me. I thank you in advance for the day I get to see you face to face and join the great celebration of heaven. Until that day, please use me to help others glimpse the character and joy of your great victory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. Hebrews 10:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 21, 2013

Devotional:

No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 2 Corinthians 11:14 (NASB)

While we wait for God's great victory for us to be fully realized, we also need to know that we are in a battle. God will win this battle through Jesus Christ. The final outcome is certain. Christ has already won the decisive battle. However, let's not be fooled; the evil one will do everything he can to deceive all people and confuse the lost. Let's stick with God's plan -- living his truth, listening for his voice in Scripture, and following the lead of his Spirit.

Prayer:

Holy LORD, please give me the ability to discern truth and resist the deception of Satan. Please empower me by your Spirit as I seek to live victoriously for you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 22, 2013

Devotional:

Just as the LORD had commanded Moses his servant, so Moses commanded Joshua, and so Joshua did; he left nothing undone of all that the LORD had commanded Moses.

Joshua 11:15 (NASB)

Joshua is one of my favorite Bible heroes. He was a great servant to Moses. He refused to be swayed by his peers or by the crowd when he spied out the Promised Land. He followed in the footsteps of a great leader and was a great leader himself -- not an easy task! Joshua was vigorous and vital even in his old age. Most of all, Joshua was obedient to God and did all that God had commanded him to do, as well as what God had commanded Moses that he should do. In other words, Joshua was faithful!

Prayer:

O LORD God, my Abba Father, when the story of my life is told, may I be viewed as one who was faithful to all that you have asked of me. I want to serve you with an undivided heart and a life that brings you the glory and praise you deserve for your generous grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire [fn]fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 23, 2013

Devotional:

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not [fn]ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:16 (NASB)

Hebrews 11 is full of reminders of the great heroes of faith form long ago. They were looking for a better place, a heavenly place. God has made preparations for them and he is proud to called their God. Jesus also promised us in John 14 that preparations for our arrival at our heavenly home are being made. If God is longing for us to join him, then surely we can have a deep longing to be with him. Let's desire that heavenly country!

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for all that you have done to save me. Thank you for not being ashamed of me. Thank you for preparing for my arrival at home with you. With so much to look forward to, may I live a victorious life because I am confident in your grace, forgiven because of Jesus' sacrifice, and empowered to be holy by your Spirit. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may [fn]be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:44-45 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 24, 2013

Devotional:

"Woe to the worthless shepherd Who leaves the flock! A sword will be on his arm And on his right eye! His arm will be totally withered And his right eye will be [fn]blind."
Zechariah 11:17 (NASB)

While we don't like to hear bad news and don't appreciate the pronouncement of judgment on others, there is a time when it is appropriate. Jesus was not only our sacrificial lamb, but he is also our Chief Shepherd. When the earthly shepherds of his sheep do not lead faithfully, he will demand harsh justice. This is a warning to all who lead that they must do so faithfully and tenderly. It is also a comfort to those who have been abused by ungodly leaders -- God will wipe away your tears and he will bring about a righteous justice to those who have abused the stewardship of their pastoral calling.

Prayer:
O LORD, my Shepherd, thank you for leading, guiding, and nourishing me. Please raise up in your Church leaders of conscience, courage, and compassion to shepherd your sheep and to lead them with the heart of Jesus. If I can be used in this capacity, please use me, dear Father, to bless your people and to serve with your heart for people. In the name of Jesus, my Good Shepherd. Amen.

Wisdom:
Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 25, 2013

Devotional:

When they heard this, they [fn]quieted down and glorified God, saying, "Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life." Acts 11:18 (NASB)

Breaking through racial and cultural barriers is never easy. Thankfully, God's Spirit doesn't let us settle comfortably into our prejudices. Instead, we are challenged, led, and pushed to break through racial hatred and cultural ignorance. Let's be the kind of people who rejoice and praise God for every barrier that falls that divides people. Let's press on until the triumphant promise of the Gospel is fulfilled: "There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male or female. For you are all Christians you are one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

Prayer:
Holy God, I ask that you bless all those everywhere who are trying to cross cultural, linguistic, and nationalistic barriers to share the grace of Jesus with those who do not know you and do not honor your Son as Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
O LORD of hosts, How blessed is the man who trusts in You! Psalm 84:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 27, 2013

Devotional:

"You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 11:19 (NASB)

Moses gives us three crucial messages about God's commandments. First, as parents, it is our responsibility to teach them to our children -- not the responsibility of the government, or of the schools, nor even our churches. Second, we are to teach them in the everyday course of life as we go about our routines as a family. Third, we are to teach them continuously by both our words and our lives as we raise our children.

Prayer:
O LORD God, please bless me as I seek to impart my faith to others, especially to those in my family. Please bless me with a consistent and faithful witness to them, the right words to say when the time is right, and the courage, sensitivity to say it with loving respect, and the courage to live as a strong Christian example for my children and grandchildren. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Matthew 5:6 (NASB)