Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
March 19, 2013

Devotional:

And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered and said, "The [fn]Christ of God." Luke 9:20 (NASB)

A lot of people have their opinions about Jesus’ identity. The real issue, however, is what you believe about Jesus. What you decide about God’s Son means everything for you and for those you influence. So listen to Jesus' question to his disciples as if he is asking it of you: "Who do you say I am?" I pray that your answer is the same as Peters: “You are the Messiah, the Son of God.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus, who is my Lord, Savior, friend, and older brother in your family. I praise you for sending him to reveal yourself to us and I thank you for your love demonstrated by him on the Cross. I do believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and the only Savior who can bring freedom, pardon, cleansing, and complete salvation. Thank you! In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 20, 2013

Devotional:

for she was saying [fn]to herself, "If I only touch His garment, I will [fn]get well." Matthew 9:21 (NASB)

The woman who said this to herself knew ostracism and loneliness because of her 12 year bout with an illness that made her unclean under Jewish law. She was imprisoned in isolation because of this condition. Just as Jesus freed her from her prison (vs. 22), he longs to free you from yours as well. What holds you captive? Jesus longs to give you freedom through five gifts: 1) the Scripture to help you know God's will, 2) your surrender to his lordship, 3) cleansing from your sin and guilt, 4) the gift of the Holy Spirit to empower you, and 5) a family of brothers and sisters in Christ to support you and hold you accountable. These are God's five precious keys to freedom.

Prayer:
Father, I pray today for all those who need deliverance from Satan's grip in whatever form he has in their lives. In Jesus' mighty and holy name I confidently pray. Amen

Wisdom:
" [fn]Blessed are the [fn]poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 21, 2013

Devotional:

To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
1 Corinthians 9:22 (NASB)

Christ left heaven and came to earth to save us. Paul sacrificed everything to share the Gospel with both Jews and Gentiles. What have we done... what have we left... what have we given up... what have we become... to share Jesus with those we love, know, or influence?

Prayer:
Father of mercy, rich in steadfast love, please give me eyes to see those around me who need Jesus, the courage and the humility to share his grace, and the sense of timing to share Jesus with them when they are ready to know of his love. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed are the people who are so situated; How blessed are the people whose God is the LORD! Psalm 144:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 22, 2013

Devotional:

And Jesus said to him, " 'If You can?' All things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23 (NASB)

A desperate father comes to Jesus with a request for help IF there is anything he can do to help. IF! IF? Everything is possible if we believe. Does it mean it will happen? Not necessarily, but we know it CAN happen if God chooses to do it to glorify himself, protect his people, or accomplish his will. Our commitment needs to be that of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: "We serve a God who is able to deliver us... but even if he does not, we will not worship other gods who are false!" (see Daniel 3)

Prayer:
Now to God, who is able to do exceedingly and abundantly more than we can ask or imagine, be glory... forever and ever. In the glorious name of Jesus I praise you. Amen. (cf. Ephesians 3:20-21)

Wisdom:
" [fn]Ask, and it will be given to you; [fn]seek, and you will find; [fn]knock, and it will be opened to you. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 23, 2013

Devotional:

but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD. Jeremiah 9:24 (NASB)

Two truths are equally crucial for us to understand in this passage. First, God is kind, just and righteous. Second, he delights in these things when he sees them in us. So what does your life stand for? Let's be like our Father and take on the lifestyle of loving kindness, the cause of justice for all, and the character of righteousness. Why? Because we should have no greater joy than to bring delight to the Father!

Prayer:

Almighty and Holy God, may my life delight you and bring you joy. However, dear Father, I am aware that my character falls far short of your holiness and righteousness, and the mercy and grace I display to others pales in comparison to the mercy and grace you have shown toward me. So please, Father, help me know those areas where I most need to grow to be pleasing to you and to bless others with your grace. Thank you for giving me the Holy Spirit to help transform me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

There is no wisdom and no understanding And no counsel against the LORD. Proverbs 21:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good

March 25, 2013

Devotional:
"For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself? Luke 9:25 (NASB)

I once had a picture on my cubicle wall of a hearse pulling a U-Haul trailer with the caption, "Who says you can't take it with you?" While it is humorous, it is also wrong... DEAD wrong. If we lose our souls in the pursuit of things, what of lasting value have we gained? Is it worth losing the only thing that really matters?

Prayer:
Loving Father, help me keep my eyes on what is truly valuable and use the other blessings in my life to bring you glory and to bless others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one [fn]mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 26, 2013,

Devotional:

"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory, and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. Luke 9:26 (NASB)

Some of the saddest words a loving child ever can hear are these: "I'm so disappointed in you." We don't want that to be the reaction of our Heavenly Father. We want the world to know that we love and honor Jesus as Lord so they can come to know our Savior, too, and so that we can bring delight to our Father in Heaven!

Prayer:
LORD God Almighty, please give me boldness, wisdom, and respect as I seek to stand up for Jesus each day. May my words and my life declare my allegiance to Jesus as my Lord and Savior. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 27, 2013,

Devotional:

but I [fn]discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27 (NASB)

"Practice what you preach!" "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day." "Put your life where your mouth is!" Those of us who speak out most openly about our faith in Jesus also need to make sure that we hold ourselves accountable to the same standard we are calling others to follow.

Prayer:
Father in Heaven, please help my walk to be consistent with my talk and may my talk always be pleasing to you! In Jesus' glorious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. James 1:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 28, 2013,

Devotional:

so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him. Hebrews 9:28 (NASB)

Thought
Jesus is coming back! Are you ready? Are you waiting?

Prayer:
Come Lord Jesus, your bride awaits you! Amen. (see 1 Corinthians 16:22 & Revelation 21:2, 9; 22:17)

Wisdom:
a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, [fn]barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all. Colossians 3:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 29, 2013,

Devotional:

Moses said to him, "As soon as I go out of the city, I will spread out my [fn]hands to the LORD; the [fn]thunder will cease and there will be hail no longer, that you may know that the earth is the LORD'S. Exodus 9:29 (NASB)

When Moses confronted Pharaoh and was met only by the hardness of Pharaoh's heart, God sent the plagues. Why? Because God wanted Pharaoh to know that Israel's God wasn't just another god, but that the LORD was the Only True and Living God. The nations, the seasons, and the earth are his. All people must come to revere his name and receive his grace.

Prayer:

God of all the universe and of all that I can imagine, experience, or see, I praise you and proclaim you to be God indeed. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:

Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats [fn]his folly. Proverbs 26:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 30, 2013

Devotional:

"However, You bore with them for many years, And admonished them by Your Spirit through Your prophets, Yet they would not give ear. Therefore You gave them into the hand of the peoples of the lands. Nehemiah 9:30 (NASB)

God has spoken repeatedly to his people through the prophets who spoke as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. But so often, these people ignored their voice and abandoned their God. Let's not let the same thing be said of us!

Prayer:

Sovereign LORD and Abba Father, I praise you! Please never let me ever outlive my love for you or my heart's desire to be obedient and pleasing to you! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. Revelation 22:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 1, 2013,

Devotional:

Woe to those who enact evil statutes And to those who constantly record [fn]unjust decisions, So as to [fn]deprive the needy of justice And rob the poor of My people of their rights, So that widows may be their spoil And that they may plunder the [fn]orphans. Isaiah 10:1-2 (NASB)

God wants us to be a generous and concerned people. We are not to be concerned about our "stuff" but the work of God and the needs of others, especially those who are powerless and can't defend themselves.

Prayer:
O Father of the fatherless, please increase my compassion and commitment to work for those who are forgotten, abused, disenfranchised, and pushed aside. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted [fn]by God"; for God cannot be tempted [fn]by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. James 1:13-14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 2, 2013,

Devotional:

In pride the wicked [fn]hotly pursue the afflicted; [fn]Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised. Psalm 10:2 (NASB)

God absolutely hates violence, intimidation, or any means used for the powerful to control, manipulate, or hound those who are weaker. He loathes wickedness that is based upon the strong and the mighty preying on the weak and powerless. We should, by our actions and resources, demonstrate both to the weak and the powerless that there is a God of love.

Prayer:
Give me a heart, O God, that disdains the abuse of power and the misuse of wealth. Thank you, dear God, for sending Jesus to save me when I was powerless to bring about my own salvation (Romans 5:5-11). Please give me a heart like Jesus when I see others being taken advantage of. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; Hebrews 10:23 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 3, 2013

Devotional:

Then Moses said to Aaron, "It is what the LORD spoke, saying, 'By those who come near Me I [fn]will be treated as holy, And before all the people I will be honored.'" So Aaron, therefore, kept silent. Leviticus 10:3 (NASB)

God's holiness is unapproachable except through the gift of his grace. When we disregard God’s holiness, we profane what is precious and sacred. God will be known and shown as holy; if not by his people, then by his action. Let's take our worship of God seriously, honoring him with our reverence and awe (Hebrews 12:28-29). But, let's not confine worship to only what we do in church. Let's realize that all of our life is worship (Romans 12:1-2) and live out our lives with a commitment to be holy in all we do (1 Peter 1:15-16) – in both the worship with our lips and the worship with our lives (Hebrews 13:15-16).

Prayer:
Almighty and Most High God, holy and perfect in righteousness, forgive me for my sins. Cleanse me and make me holy by the transforming and sanctifying power of your Holy Spirit. May my life be lived as a holy sacrifice to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 4, 2013

Devotional:

For Christ is the [fn]end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Romans 10:4 (NASB)

Christ is both the fulfillment of the Law (the goal and destination of the Law) and also the end of the Law. We are no longer judged on the basis of law-keeping. True, the standard used for us is the righteousness of God, but this is a standard that Jesus meets in us and for us by being the sin offering for us and sending the Spirit to empower us. This means that God can declare us righteous while at the same time transforming us to strive toward being righteous in the way we live. The Law's goal is fulfilled and finds its completion in Christ as his salvation transforms us.

Prayer:

Dear Father, I do believe that Jesus is your dear Son, sent to be my Savior, crucified for my sins, and raised from the dead for my victory. I trust my salvation to him and thank you for your incredible gift of grace. In the name of Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the [fn]path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! Psalm 1:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 5, 2013

Devotional:

We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, 2 Corinthians 10:5 (NASB)

The apostle Paul knew he was in a war against spiritual forces opposed to God (cf. Ephesians 6:10-12). While these forces might have a great deal of influence in the world at large, Paul was determined that Satan's deception wouldn't rule in God's churches. He was committed to truth in an age obsessed with many different gods, beliefs, and choices. Can we be any less vigilant in our day and in a culture obsessed with so many of the same ideas?

Prayer:

Holy God, please forgive our lack of spiritual vigilance and cowardice in the marketplace of ideas. Stir us by your Spirit to speak the truth in love. Convict us of the need to confront ideas that are detrimental to faith, righteousness, and truth with sound and godly wisdom. Arouse us from our lazy stupor and call us again to be your holy and committed people. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

[fn]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the [fn]author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

baddison

natural for good
April 6, 2013

Devotional:

Blessings are on the head of the righteous, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. Proverbs 10:6 (NASB)

Jesus told Peter, "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword." Violence begets violence and rarely does a violent person not have to taste the bitter repayment of violence. God's Wise Man is saying essentially the same thing in this verse, but with one key addition. Blessings come to the person who is righteous. We reap what we sow!

Prayer:

Holy God, please bless me with righteousness -- not just by your grace and mercy, but by the transformation of my heart by your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:

the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked. 1 John 2:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 8, 2013

Devotional:

Who would not fear You, O King of the nations? Indeed it is Your due! For among all the wise men of the nations And in all their kingdoms, There is none like You. Jeremiah 10:7 (NASB)

Presidents, kings, and rulers have a host of "wise" and diplomatic counselors. Many also surround themselves with people of power and wealth. There is, however, only One King of the Nations! There is only One who will truly and ultimately rule over all peoples of the earth. He is beyond compare and has no worthy rival. All creatures, great and small, will one day revere him and honor his holy name. Let’s make sure we do it today!

Prayer:

You are worthy, my God and Father, of all glory and power. You have no rival -- either in reality or in my heart. Thank you for blessing me with your grace. Why you should care for me when you have such power and majesty I’m not completely sure, but I thank you and praise you. I thank you for adopting me into your royal family by your grace. I praise you for the great and gracious purity and righteousness that you have poured out on me. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight. Proverbs 12:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 9th, 2013

Devotional:

The wise of heart will receive commands, But [fn]a babbling fool will be [fn]ruined. Proverbs 10:8 (NASB)

It's easy to give our opinion. It's kinda fun to "put in our two cents worth." It's easy to "talk the talk." Unfortunately, however, our talk can often be a way to keep us insulated from the obedience God desires. No matter our age or experience, if we are wise, we will accept the righteous commands of God!

Prayer:

O Lord God, who searches hearts and minds, please give me an inquiring heart that thirsts after pleasing and obeying you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent [fn]by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For [fn]such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. 1 Peter 2:13-15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 10, 2013

Devotional:

"Blessed be the LORD your God who delighted in you to set you on the throne of Israel; because the LORD loved Israel forever, therefore He made you king, to do justice and righteousness." 1 Kings 10:9 (NASB)

Solomon was reminded by the words of a foreigner that he is where he is by grace and he has been put there to live out the will and to display the character of God in all that he does. So are we! So let's live with the redemptive purpose that God has designed for us to have.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, I know that you have blessed me by your grace. Now, dear Lord, please empower me to know and live out the redemptive purpose for which you have made me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 11, 2013,

Devotional:

But the LORD is the true God; He is the living God and the everlasting King. At His wrath the earth quakes, And the nations cannot endure His indignation. Jeremiah 10:10 (NASB)

There is only one true God. All others are false, mere pretenders to the throne of the Righteous One. Yet like the Athenians in Acts 17, our world continues to place idol after idol in the place that should be reserved for God alone. But, we can be different! We can live as radiant examples of the God of justice, righteousness, mercy, and grace. We can reflect his holiness, share his hope for the lost, and truly make a huge difference in our world. So let's get started doing it -- today!

Prayer:

Most High God, my Abba Father, thank you so much for the incredible gift of your grace and the sense of redemptive purpose you have placed within my life. I know that you can use me to do your work in your world and to your glory. Please do! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Let the word of [fn]Christ richly dwell within you, [fn]with all wisdom teaching and admonishing [fn]one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing [fn]with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April; 12, 2013,

Devotional:

"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. John 10:11 (NASB)

Isn't it absolutely unbelievable that the Supreme God of the universe would love us so generously! Yet he has shown his love for us in the past through Jesus. He will dramatically show his love for us again when Jesus returns -- not to give his life for us, but to share his life with us! Come, sweet Shepherd, come!

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing yourself to Israel as the Great Shepherd. Thank you for sending Jesus to be the Good Shepherd who sacrificed his life for me. Now please accept the commitment of my heart and the actions of my life to be a sacrifice of thanks and praise to you for all that you have done. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit! Psalm 32:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 13, 2013,

Devotional:

Sow with a view to righteousness, Reap in accordance with [fn]kindness; Break up your fallow ground, For it is time to seek the LORD Until He comes to [fn]rain righteousness on you. Hosea 10:12 (NASB)

What a beautiful challenge! Even more beautiful is the promise that God will help us break up the unplowed ground in our hearts as we seek him. He will pour out his blessings and his righteousness on us as we pursue his righteousness.

Prayer:
O LORD Most High, use your Holy Spirit to purify and cultivate my heart so that it is soft and receptive to your will and compassionate to those in need. Make it a holy place for your Spirit to live. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is [fn]of evil. Matthew 5:37 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 15, 2013

Devotional:

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NASB)

In the face of temptation, God has promised us two things: (1) a way out, and (2) the power to stand up under trial. Can we truly believe this? Yes, of course, because Jesus demonstrated this power, God promised us this power, and we can look at brothers and sisters in Christ who have triumphed by this power! However, we must not think that the way out means that we are not going to face challenges, hardships, or difficulties. Character is produced by both refusing to give into the temptation and also refusing to give up during the challenges we face for remaining faithful. God will provide us a way out, but he is also interested in developing our holy character. Where the balance is between the two is God's work. Whether we choose to remain faithful is our work. (Romans 5:1-5; 1 Peter 1:7)

Prayer:

Thank you, dear Father, for supplying me the way out of temptation and the power to face it victoriously. Please forgive me for the times that I have succumbed to temptation and sinned. Forgive me the times I have not wanted to find that open door of escape. Cleanse me and restore me to faithful and useful service to you and your Kingdom. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 16, 2013

Devotional:

"Behold, to the LORD your God belong heaven and the [fn]highest heavens, the earth and all that is in it. Deuteronomy 10:14 (NASB)

It's all his. The multifaceted and creative side of God's nature is revealed in the astounding beauty that he has made. Let's use this gift wisely. Let's remember that it is not our world, but God's world. All the people in this world are precious to him. Let's help them know just how precious they are!

Prayer:

Lord God Almighty, the Father who adopted me into his family, thank you for your majesty and might that have been channeled to be such a blessing to me and to other mortals like me. Please accept my gifts of talent, time, and treasure as I seek to honor you for your gifts and thank you for your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, Ephesians 4:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 17, 2013

Devotional:

The sons of Israel said to the LORD, "We have sinned, do to us whatever seems good to You; only please deliver us this day." Judges 10:15 (NASB)

When God's people realized the depth of their sin and the impending punishment by God, they repented and asked for his help. Unfortunately we often hide, avoid, or skirt the issue of our own sin. We don't like to admit our sin, much less confess it and turn from it. "It's not that bad! I know a lot folks who do a lot worse things!" We must not view confession of sin as humiliation or weakness. Acknowledging our sin and asking for God's forgiveness, cleansing, and power open the door for him to use us mightily.

Prayer:

Forgive me, Heavenly Father, for my sin. Please eradicate it from my life with the help of your transforming and purifying Spirit as I offer myself daily as a living sacrifice to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained [fn]by the world. James 1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 18, 2013

Devotional:

Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the [fn]bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ? 1 Corinthians 10:16 (NASB)

The Apostle Paul makes clear that the heart of the Gospel is found in the death, burial, resurrection, and appearances of Jesus (1 Cor. 15:1-8). The Lord's Supper, Communion or Eucharist as it is sometimes called, is a key part of our walk with Christ. It is a time where we proclaim the story of the Gospel (cf. 1 Cor. 11:26). But, it is more than a time of proclamation; it is a time of participation. We share in the supper with each other and with Christ. This participation revitalizes us in our walk with the Savior and helps us re-live his saving death and resurrection.

Prayer:

Holy God and loving Father, thank you for giving me the Lord's Supper. It is such a beautiful and convicting reminder of the tremendous cost Jesus paid for my sin. It is such a beautiful reminder of the love you have for me and the ransom paid to set me free from sin and death. Thank you for inviting me to share in the holy sacrifice of your Son and my Savior. May I never take it for granted or misuse this precious gift to me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Better is a [fn]dish of [fn]vegetables where love is Than a fattened ox served with hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 19, 2013

Devotional:

He is on the path of life who heeds instruction, But he who ignores reproof goes astray. Proverbs 10:17 (NASB)

God has given each of us a circle of influence, a place where our lives impact others for either good or ill. In much the same way, each of us is also influenced by others, some of whom can help us see and overcome our problems and shortcomings. However, if we reject or snub discipline and correction, we not only harm ourselves, but we lead others astray. The choices we make don't determine just our destination; they also greatly impact others!

Prayer:

Dear God, please forgive my foolish arrogance and my lazy indifference to your truth and wisdom. I am humbled by the knowledge that you have made my life significant to others. Please empower me to use that influence to gently and humbly lead them in the way of your truth. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body. Hebrews 13:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 20, 2013

Devotional:

Through indolence the rafters sag, and through slackness the house leaks. Ecclesiastes 10:18 (NASB)

Laziness is not just an attitude, it is a lack of action. It is a choice to let important matters suffer neglect. While the results of this choice may not always be evident, over the passage of time, the basic results of idleness are borne out by the accumulating signs of decay and destruction.

Prayer:

Stir in me, dear Heavenly Father, a passion to do what is true and good and righteous. Convict my heart when I neglect what is important. Please help me discern the difference between laziness and a genuine need for rest and to balance my life between my many responsibilities. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance. Psalm 33:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 22, 2013

Devotional:

When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise. Proverbs 10:19 (NASB)

We are constantly filling our world with noise. If it is not the sound of our own voices, then turn up some other noise to fill the silence. With the proliferation of radio talk shows, we are even given the opportunity to sound off to that noise. Unfortunately, quite often we say things that are harmful, hurtful, or foolish. God's wisdom reminds us to learn to hold our tongue and let silence rule over more of our time rather than the noisy words that so often clutter our world.

Prayer:

Holy God, please give me more wisdom so that I can keep my mouth shut more often and my ears more attentive to the needs of others. Purify my heart and cleanse my speech so that it will be helpful to others and bring glory to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and [fn]its works will be [fn]burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 2 Peter 3:10-12 (NASB)