How long does henna (powder) last?

robot.

If I were to buy, say, ten packs of henna but couldn't use them for a few months (just want to have them in my arsenal) how long would they last?

robot.

Okay, I just read online two years if frozen, and then 4-6 months if frozen.

Can anyone here chime in? How long are the expiration dates, usually?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I thought it was like a Year or two Frozen. Yep. I'm pretty sure that's what I have on the Fact Sheet from the place I purchased mine from.:yep:

robot.

I hope I could keep them frozen for that long because I might not have hair when I do get them! :lol: This Karishma henna is really hard to find, so I need to stock up!

baddison

natural for good
Looks like dry, packaged, not-yet-used henna is good for a few years.

Here's a reply I found on the HennaForHair.com forum...to someone who asked almost the same question:
http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/i...bb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=9524

I have bought henna at an Indian grocery store that was dated as being several years old, and it still gave plenty of color; I was amazed.

If you buy great quality henna and keep it unopened and airtight in the freezer, I bet it will keep even longer!
We know that it keeps well for a couple of years in the freezer, but even at room temp that cheap henna I bought was doing pretty well.

Amla isn't a dye so I wouldn't think its freshness would be as much of an issue, and it seems to keep just fine for 2+ years at room temp - I buy that in bulk also and keep it in a drawer, seems to work as well as ever.

Last edited:

vkb247

^^^^ Yep. The folks at henna for hair told me that henna will keep for up to 5 years in the freezer when I recently bought 1 kg of 2006 Jamila. The expiration date on the box was May 2009 though but it has been working just fine for me.

Several members have said that they used old henna from indian stores that worked well so I think that you should go for it.

ycj

I just purchased some Karishma henna today online, so does this means that I have to store it in my freezer opposed to just storing it room temp? Someone pls answer this! I need clarification!!! Thanks

robot.

ycj, where'd you buy yours?

And I think the verdict is that freezing it will help it to last longer. :yep: But if you're going to use it regularly, room temp. should be fine.

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I just purchased some Karishma henna today online, so does this means that I have to store it in my freezer opposed to just storing it room temp? Someone pls answer this! I need clarification!!! Thanks

How much henna did you buy?? If you think you will use it all up within a year, you should be fine storing the dry powder in an air-tight container/bag in a cool dry place. When do you plan to henna, how much do you need to use, how often will you be using it. The answers to these questions will determine your optimum storage solution.

I purchased 3 foil packages of 200gms each of NUPUR henna. The unopend ones are in the back of my linen closet until I'm ready to use them. Currently I henna 2x's per month, and I use about 150gm with each treamtent. There's absolutely no need for me to freeze my product right now. Matter of fact....I think I need to visit my local Subzi Mandi indian store right now....LOL!:lachen:

robot.

The expiration date, I was told, was in 2011, so that's great. :yep: I haven't ordered yet, though.

Muse

I purchased 20 packs of Karishma on ebay last week! It has a manufactured date of Oct 2008 and is good until that month in 2011. I am storing it in the back of my closet which is a cool dark place. It will be fine. The manufacturers put that date on assuming you are storing at room temp. If I don't use them all (but I will:grin:) and the expireation date approaches then I will throw them in the freezer.

ETA: If you ladies are buying Karishma henna on ebay that lady just raised her prices-it was $1 last week!

Last edited:

Swanky

Good to know this information on storage, because I just purchased different brands of henna, amla, shikakai powders, etc, for a 'sample fest' on my soon-to-be-chopped-off hair to determine which is best (mainly the brands of henna) for my hair.

robot.

I purchased 20 packs of Karishma on ebay last week! It has a manufactured date of Oct 2008 and is good until that month in 2011. I am storing it in the back of my closet which is a cool dark place. It will be fine. The manufacturers put that date on assuming you are storing at room temp. If I don't use them all (but I will:grin:) and the expireation date approaches then I will throw them in the freezer.

ETA: If you ladies are buying Karishma henna on ebay that lady just raised her prices-it was $1 last week!

You saw it too! Her shipping prices were ridiculous too, so I messaged her about it and she brought it down by almost fifty percent. :yep: I hope I can order soon! I really want to stock up.

robot.

Good to know this information on storage, because I just purchased different brands of henna, amla, shikakai powders, etc, for a 'sample fest' on my soon-to-be-chopped-off hair to determine which is best (mainly the brands of henna) for my hair.

When are you cutting? How much off? :yep: I'll PM you!

robot.

Dont mean to sound stupid but whats Henna powder for?

People use it for a lot of different things - color, deep conditioning, strengthening and thickening their hair.

There have been many threads on it, so there's lots of information, if you want more. :yep:

Muse

You saw it too! Her shipping prices were ridiculous too, so I messaged her about it and she brought it down by almost fifty percent. :yep: I hope I can order soon! I really want to stock up.

Yes her shipping prices are ridiculous! She charged me $60 to ship 20 bags AFTER I put in my bid. When I told her that was high she didn't cut me a deal:nono: but when I went to Ruchita's site and did some calculations it would've come out to be the same because I got each pack on ebay for $1. There is no way it cost $60 to ship 20 bags and the funny thing is we live in the same state. She is probably 20 minutes away from me!!! I'll buy from Ruchita next time because I don't fancy being ripped off on shipping, Her shipping calculator wasn't working so she said to just order however much I want and she would send me the correct invoice. So I'm thinking $20 for shipping at most. Boy was I suprised, I care about my feedback rating WAY more than I should.

Last edited:

robot.

I used the calculator at the bottom, for ten packs, and it was $20-30! So I messaged her to ask if this was correct and she said yes. I told her that was too much - the packs can't be that big. I know you can probably get a USPS box for five or six bucks. :ohwell:

I think shipping is around $10 now, which isn't too bad. I'll definitely do my calculations before hand, though.

bedazzled

If you want it to last a long time I would keep it in a fridge or freezer..Thats what I do. Plus I only use a tbsp or 2 in my henna so one package lasts for 2-3 months & I henna once a week.