porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

newflowers

I consider Sistaslick the expert; her articles are educational in the extreme.

If you've got the lower pH to smooth the cuticle so it lies lies flat, then sealing is the next step.

After I apply my leaveins, I take a few drops of camellia oil, and smooth through my hair. The oil seals in the moisture - think of it as preventing evaporation - so when you go out and about, the elements are not in immediate contact with your hair.

AtlantaJJ

I just got back from TJ Maxx and to my pleasant surprise they had Joico K-Pak Cuticle Sealer!! One bottle for $7.99. I snatched that bad boy up so fast and got outta there! :lol: That's some good stuff. This can be used after relaxers or coloring. Or in my case since I'm natural I'll use it after I do my clarifying shampoos, before my DC. My new understanding that it's okay to DC after you seal the cuticle you will still get the benefit of the conditioner and I tend to think you seal in more moisture that way....that's just my crazy theory :brainy: :scratchch

Last edited:

newflowers

I tell you what AtlantaJJ - between you and a few others, I'm going to have to give Joico products a try - sounds like they have some seriously great products!

AtlantaJJ

I tell you what AtlantaJJ - between you and a few others, I'm going to have to give Joico products a try - sounds like they have some seriously great products!
Fine hair loves keratin. K-Pak products are loaded with keratin. I have not had a single problem with protein over load using K-pak or Millcreek proteins. Not one time, not one problem only thicker, stronger, shinny healthy hair! :grin:

pink gator

BIG thanks to the OP!

I'm so happy I stumbled upon this thread!

I have fine, permanently colored hair, and I've been following the Color Bootcamp to the
T, but wondered why my color was brassy and my hair had zero swing.

So the next day I went to Sally's and bought the small bottle of PC (apparently it's awesome because the bigger bottle was out of stock).

I clarified, then did a Sebastian Cellophane/Laminates in Clear, rinsed and shampooed with Aveda Damage Remedy shampoo, DC'd with the DR Treatment, followed by the PC.

GREAT results! My orange hue is gone, revealing the honey blonde I intended to get. My ends are smoother and the flyaways are gone. Plus my jaw-length hair got that swing, so I'm definitely pleased!

I'm incorporating it from now on.

Thank you SO much y'all!

Last edited:

ellebelle88

BIG thanks to the OP!

I'm so happy I stumbled upon this thread!

I have fine, permanently colored hair, and I've been following the Color Bootcamp to the
T, but wondered why my color was brassy and my hair had zero swing.

So the next day I went to Sally's and bought the small bottle of PC (apparently it's awesome because the bigger bottle was out of stock).

I clarified, then did a Sebastian Cellophane/Laminates in Clear, rinsed and shampooed with Aveda Damage Remedy shampoo, DC'd with the DR Treatment, followed by the PC.

GREAT results! My orange hue is gone, revealing the honey blonde I intended to get. My ends are smoother and the flyaways are gone. Plus my jaw-length hair got that swing, so I'm definitely pleased!

I'm incorporating it from now on.

Thank you SO much y'all!

Wow! Good job. Quick question tho: where did you get the Sebastian Cellophane from? I have been looking for it forever, but I heard it had been discontinued.

RODI

Great info Newflowers & AtlantaJJ,

I have 2 questions.

1) Just so that I clearly understand. I should Wash----Deep Condition w/ heat---PC(so that my cuticles lie flat so that my DC efforts do not evaporate "in thin air"---apply leave ins----seal the moisture in with oil. Am I on the right track here????
2) I have read that rinsing my hair with cool/cold water in my final step helps my cuticles to lay flat or close the. Something to that effect Is this a cheaper version of PC??? It is the same thing??

Miamori

I've been having issues with tangling, breakage and splits since October, when I got my hair dyed.

I troubleshooted for months, including ACV rinses, and buying low pH Joico products. It always felt better after the ACV for a time (hours or days), but would always go back to being unruly.

Last week somewhting dawned on me (really, it was an article on Hairology - very good article; hadn't seen this thread yet) and I decided to try Roux Porosity Control. I spent my LAST (expendable) dime ordering it, and LOW AND BEHOLD, my hair is back to normal.

I rinsed with it before shampooing, before my normal condish, massaging and coming it through, and after, combing it through again and letting it sit like a deep conditioner. Miraculously, NO MORE TANGLES... 5 months of tangles gone, like POOF, seriously, and my hair is back to normal. I say 2 broken pieces yesterday, and that's it in the past 7 days. :)

I'll do it again maybe next wash and hopefully go back to seeing no broken hairs and splits, which is what I was used to before. I've been dusting now just to get rid of the splits (most formed from my hair sticking together and me pulling it apart) and I am getting a good trim for the rest in a week or two.

It's nice to feel like I'm not constantly creating new splits every time I do something to my hair.

I'm sure multiple ACV rinses (or stronger ones - I dilute mine well) would have worked too, but I didn't have any ACV around and wanted to just buy the conditioner to know it would do the right thing by my pH levels and I wouldn't have to worry about my ratio of ACV to water.

Anyway, the conditioner will def be a keeper for me for when I encounter this problem in the future. I was also skeptical about not having the shampoo, but it turns out I didn't need it.

RODI

I've been having issues with tangling, breakage and splits since October, when I got my hair dyed.

I troubleshooted for months, including ACV rinses, and buying low pH Joico products. It always felt better after the ACV for a time (hours or days), but would always go back to being unruly.

Last week somewhting dawned on me (really, it was an article on Hairology - very good article; hadn't seen this thread yet) and I decided to try Roux Porosity Control. I spent my LAST (expendable) dime ordering it, and LOW AND BEHOLD, my hair is back to normal.

I rinsed with it before shampooing, before my normal condish, massaging and coming it through, and after, combing it through again and letting it sit like a deep conditioner. Miraculously, NO MORE TANGLES... 5 months of tangles gone, like POOF, seriously, and my hair is back to normal. I say 2 broken pieces yesterday, and that's it in the past 7 days. :)

I'll do it again maybe next wash and hopefully go back to seeing no broken hairs and splits, which is what I was used to before. I've been dusting now just to get rid of the splits (most formed from my hair sticking together and me pulling it apart) and I am getting a good trim for the rest in a week or two.

It's nice to feel like I'm not constantly creating new splits every time I do something to my hair.

I'm sure multiple ACV rinses (or stronger ones - I dilute mine well) would have worked too, but I didn't have any ACV around and wanted to just buy the conditioner to know it would do the right thing by my pH levels and I wouldn't have to worry about my ratio of ACV to water.

Anyway, the conditioner will def be a keeper for me for when I encounter this problem in the future. I was also skeptical about not having the shampoo, but it turns out I didn't need it.

Ok Ok ok, after work I will stop and get my PC. I was at the BSS on saturday and put it in my cart. After going over my budget I returned it because of the price tag.
Now I feel foolish for putting back the most important item in my cart.

RODI

I have 2 questions.

1) Just so that I clearly understand. I should Wash----Deep Condition w/ heat---PC(so that my cuticles lie flat so that my DC efforts do not evaporate "in thin air"---apply leave ins----seal the moisture in with oil. Am I on the right track here????
2) I have read that rinsing my hair with cool/cold water in my final step helps my cuticles to lay flat or close the. Something to that effect Is this a cheaper version of PC??? It is the same thing??

Bumping for answers

ellebelle88

Did you buy just the conditioner or the whole set (shampoo, conditioner, and treatment)?

AtlantaJJ

I have 2 questions.

I am a little renegade here but I follow the Joico 17 minute miracle method and I use the PC equivalent Cuticle sealer after my shampoo, then I do my protein and moisture DC, etc. I have also done one final PC like rinse before my cream rinse. I have read that closing the cuticles before your DC does not stop your hair from reaping benefits of your DC, it helps lock the conditioner in regardless because your cuticles are never completely shut. I want to keep my cuticles as flat as possible as often as possible. That's just my therory, and it's working like a champ for me....

Someone please remind me, what's a tangle? :scratchch :lol:

AtlantaJJ

I agree with your method, the Joico cuticle sealer will work as well as the PC. I also put the Low pH product on my hair and smooth it down my hair in the direction that the cuticles should lay, then I twist that section up (I'm natural) then I continue to the next section until I cover my entire head. Then I let it sit for a bit. Then I DC or do my cream rinse, and I have smooth, shinny, tangle free, knot free hair!! :superbanana:

I'm going to do this after my next Cellophane, perhaps it will help lock the color in....

mahogany_horizons

Wow, this is a useful thread. I have issues with dryness, oh around week 6 or 7 after my relaxer, and I always wondered if using roux porisity control may fix the problem. How would one know if their hair products had a high ph or not? For example, the silk elements line which I am a disciple of :)

pureebony

This is very interesting, ok I have a few questions of my own this is going to be my regime, could anyone critique it for me please?

- co wash 3 times a week
- apply MTG and mega tek hair growth mix on scalp everyday
- moisturize every day and seal with hawaiin silky 14 in 1, 6 oil and Vaseline
- pre poo over night before mild shampoo wash on the weekend, then APhogee re constructor treatment, then deep condition with heat, moisturize then seal

Now where would i use the pc in my routine? And what are the pc that I can buy?

Thanks so much.

jerseyjill

OMG, OMG, I did a hard protein tx, followed by a DC, followed by Porosity control ( I bought the little 1.7 oz bottle for $2) and can you say silky?!! I'm going back for the full bottle.
My hair air dried overnight with only Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 and it as if i ran a flat iron over my hair.
I am so souped - I am going to get a trim and wear my hair out for a change. I have been wigging it since December. I ijust touched up last week after 4 months.
I am converted !!!

newflowers

I have 2 questions.

I sometimes, usually in the summer, rinse with cold water; however, I have hard water in my city and the PC has a lower pH. I don't rely on cold water rinses and get excellent results with PC.

newflowers

I am a little renegade here but I follow the Joico 17 minute miracle method and I use the PC equivalent Cuticle sealer after my shampoo, then I do my protein and moisture DC, etc. I have also done one final PC like rinse before my cream rinse. I have read that closing the cuticles before your DC does not stop your hair from reaping benefits of your DC, it helps lock the conditioner in regardless because your cuticles are never completely shut. I want to keep my cuticles as flat as possible as often as possible. That's just my therory, and it's working like a champ for me....

Someone please remind me, what's a tangle? :scratchch :lol:

Tangles - I read about those. :grin:

AtlantaJJ - Spill the beans about this 17 minute method.

newflowers

This is very interesting, ok I have a few questions of my own this is going to be my regime, could anyone critique it for me please?

- co wash 3 times a week
- apply MTG and mega tek hair growth mix on scalp everyday
- moisturize every day and seal with hawaiin silky 14 in 1, 6 oil and Vaseline
- pre poo over night before mild shampoo wash on the weekend, then APhogee re constructor treatment, then deep condition with heat, moisturize then seal

Now where would i use the pc in my routine? And what are the pc that I can buy?

Thanks so much.

If you want to add PC to your regime, you can add it after the cowash.

I don't use use MTG, megatek, and other protein-based growth aids and am hesitant to make ant recommendation on that.

When you do the overnight and dc part of your regime, after the reconstructor, after the deep condition - either would be a great time to add PC. Anytime before the final rinse - let PC be your last step before the final rinse - you'll love it.

AtlantaJJ

Tangles - I read about those. :grin:

AtlantaJJ - Spill the beans about this 17 minute method.
Okay so I'm lazy right?... this lady describes the system so well so I will just include her description from her site. I would also like to add that this treatment works great on fine haired naturals like myself. I do this instead of the hard protein.

The major point here is that the Cuticle Sealer is used in this system as the second step, before the protein and moisture DC treatments.

There’s the Chelating Shampoo, its not to harsh and it really gets the job done. After a lot of silicone products or all my buildup of butters, co-wash conditioners, and Megatek, this gets me back to where I started and helps make my conditioners work like the first time again. I get a little tingle and the bottle says it can go even deeper if I leave it on longer. This is the First Step in the process.
Next up is the Cuticle Sealer, I think this is probably when things start getting a little miraculous, because this product tightens up you hair cuticle so it lays down smooth and doesn’t look so dull and frizzy. This is especially great for overly porous hair that just cant get moisturized because your strands just let all of your goodness right back out. Since relaxed hair usually needs something acidic to seal the cuticle this is definitely a must get. It was a little harder to find than the other elements in the kit by itself but I found a good deal on the internet. Step Two down.

Okay now here is the part you’ve probably heard about, the K-Pak Deep Constructor. For relaxed and color-treated hair the deep reconstructor is a no-brainer. It restores strength to weekend bonds which allows hair to get to longer and stronger lengths. On natural heads like myself we get that too, plus the curl definition this gives me is like no other. Can we say curls poppin like popcorn! Its not too harsh, and it really gets the job done. The added bonus is it will make using heat on your hair a little less dangerous. Step 3 down, now for moisture.

The final step is the Intense Hydrator. After a protein treatment moisture is essential, and Joico adds this product in to put the softness back. The bottle says to leave it in for like 5 minutes but I definitely left it in a lot longer than that. I didn’t want to use it with heat since I just went through the trouble of sealing my cuticle, but I did want to make sure my hair wasn’t too stiff. I like this conditioner, but I’m not jumping for joy over it. I’m sure its good enough for relaxed heads, but I think I have to have heat with this one to get the good results. The first time was okay, but the second time I added a little Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa to get that uber soft feeling I’ve come to know and love.

I agree with her, I do the Cuticle Sealer the protein and the moisture DC's longer than the bottle recommends. I leave the CS on for about 10 minutes, the protein 15 and the moisture DC until I get tired....:lol:

The funny thing about her post is that I use the TJ NS at the end too. I call that my cream rinse step! :up:

newflowers

Thanks. I am a phyto girl from way back and can't imagine giving up my crme bath routine, but this looks like a nice change of pace from time to time.

melodies815

Not to dispute your experience but shedding happens regardless of products. It's a natural part of a strand's life cycle so at some point hair is going to shed. Saying that it never did is inaccurate. Maybe you only had a bit that you didn't notice, but it was definitely there.

Also, hair is always growing, unless you're dead. But protective styling, less heat, and covering your hair definitely aid in retention, and that's how we accumulate length.

I hope I'm not being annoying.

No...you are not being annoying at all!!! Thanks for the comment. I think what I was trying to convey in an exaggerated manner is that, even with normal shedding, I cannot recall hair in the tub, in the sink, on the floor AT ALL while using PC. I am sure it happened, but my hair was so healthy then. I would change up on stylists and I never needed a trim - even when I checked my own self...which was rare. The first time in my life that I recall breaking and shedding is here in Britain in the year and a half prior to finding LHCF. It's been miserable. I miss my soft water....

In the US, my hair just remained a healthy, happy, full, no-broken-off just barely neck length. :lachen::lachen: Now, because if healthy hair practices, it IS retaining some length...but it breaks and sheds nearly as quickly. YUCK!!

I already know when I get back to the US in June, with everything I have learned here, I will be able to grow it longer, especially considering I have gain a tiny bit of length even with all the setbacks and challenges.

I cannot WAIT to get my PC!!

cj

T

Last edited:

melodies815

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this today, clarified then used the PC, followed by the conditioners and my hair didn't feel rough like it did the first time.:grin: It still needs a lot of work though...

Just so I understand correctly, the PC doesn't seal the cuticle, it just allows the cuticle to lay flat and be smooth, is that correct?

I know I will have to do this for a while and try some different methods to see which works best for my hair, but I think I'm on the right track.

I'm still new enough to think sealing and making the cuticle lie flat are the same thing. Can any veterans help me understand the difference between what PC does and "sealing" the cuticle means?

Thanks so much, and thanks for this question, DEUSA80!

cj

pureebony

If you want to add PC to your regime, you can add it after the cowash.

I don't use use MTG, megatek, and other protein-based growth aids and am hesitant to make ant recommendation on that.

When you do the overnight and dc part of your regime, after the reconstructor, after the deep condition - either would be a great time to add PC. Anytime before the final rinse - let PC be your last step before the final rinse - you'll love it.

So does that mean I can do as many times as i like? Like after every wash i.e. co or shampoo?

RODI

Hi All,

What about Stabilizer Plus. PH 2.5. How and when do we incorporate this in our PC regimen.

melodies815

Could anyone please list the pc products that are good?

Thanks.

This thread started out talking about Roux Porosity Control. As far as I know, that's the original product and it's exceptionally good. I personally do not know of others whose entire remit is to control porosity. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Hope this Helps....

cj