Question: How Do You Deal with Someone's Dismissive Personality?

JaneBond007

Well, dealing with it as not to hold grudges and forgive this behavior? It's not always, but it does happen kinda often that you'll be discussing with them, turn around, ask them a question again but then they'll almost act as if you aren't there, then begin a convo with another? It's disrupting things because I've got to get things done. It's as though, "I talk to you when I need you, otherwise, you don't matter a BLEEP." Sigh. Help me Jesus. Oh, and I'm not the only one.

:look::look:

Willow00

I currently am dealing with a coworker with that particular attitude....kinda like "You're beneath me" stank aura. Honestly, I just ignore her until she either speaks to me or that orders from above tells me that I need her to help me on an assignment. I NEVER make small talk with her. I don't even say hi/good bye to her. I'm not limited to speaking to her to be rude or passive aggressive, but I understood long ago that she just doesn't like to interact with certain people for whatever reason. Tried several times and methods to extend the olive branch, but I was rejected. I don't try to question it or challenge her anymore. Her feelings are her own and I've accepted that. She seems to understand that when I speak to her these days, it is always business.

Trying keeping everything with that person with a distant attitude. Don't even bother with the idle pleasantries and or office banter. Keep your conversations professional, short, and simple, and end interaction quickly. If you're naturally a friendly person, it does feel weird at first to be so blunt, but it'll gets easier over time.

MrsMe

I don't deal with that kind of behavior, I don't forgive it and I don't give people time to be dismissive with me except for my principal (now I can tell when she will be dismissive and don't even bother approaching her).
There are a couple of people like that at my job. They've been dismissive, unresponsive or ignored three times. No more than that!
As the PP mentioned, I don't do any kind of small talk with them, and I especially don't entertain THEM when they try to do small talk with me. :rolleyes:
I am not rude or cold with them. I just keep our conversations short and work -related. I only talk to them when it's ME who needs them.
Have you tried emails? When I don't feel like talking to them, I just send out emails. I get to see if they've read it and ignored it... and proceed to send another one reminding them of the first email I sent.

Sent from my phone...typos and autocorrect galore

felic1

A lot of people from my church act like that. I said hello to someone from the church and he ignored me. I had to speak three times and embarrass him saying don't you go to my church. His response was no you go to mine. The saints. Smh.

JaneBond007

Probably thought you were desperate for a husband. I've seen men act like that before. They need a news flash....men are just people and not all of them are desirable. LOL. Nonsense.

felic1

Probably thought you were desperate for a husband. I've seen men act like that before. They need a news flash....men are just people and not all of them are desirable. LOL. Nonsense.

JaneBond007. If you say hello or good morning they will tell you I'm married. No one is interested in them. If a woman finds them attractive, more power to them.

JaneBond007

^^^I think those types are misogynists and there are a host of such men in the world. Trying to find any way possible to put a woman down.