No More Team Natural for me!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I watched. I say do what makes you happy, or rather, she can do what makes her happy. Now back to my Deadly Women on Netflix.

msbettyboop

A 13 minute video going on and on about why you don't want to be natural??? Some people no get work....

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
MileHighDiva

I have been meaning to thank you about tipping me off to the Oyin Hair Dew, GSO, and Oyin Whipped Pudding Combo!

Wow! Moisture on Ten!!

Thank you! :love:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I didn't know she was natural. *shrug*

Hmm, in watching the vid, looks like she just didn't get to know her hair. Talking about having to sit in a salon and taking a whole day to wash etc. She was only natural for 14 months. How much hair could she have that it was that serious? lol

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i don't care about her hair perse....to each her own.

but i do like that she is a Black woman who is not Barbie doll thin, who is exercising regularly, trying to promote healthy body image for "us" and she is also into hair. sometimes women choose hair over overall health. she is working it. She has hair "style"...it may not be my preference or match my choice of style, but i like that she is out there like some other health gurus making some money and getting her share of the pie.

i especially like that she carved her own mold.....most fitness companies would not give her a second look and she seems to have created her own brand. i like to see women, especially women of color, accomplish that goal.

i am glad i watched this video for the fitness side....but her views on natural hair are a little intense.....doesn't she spend all day getting the weave done? so what's the difference if her own hair is natural or relaxed. it used to take me 5 hours to get a full weave and my hair was mostly hidden......i didn't relax (stretched) at all when I had the weave. i would get touch ups on my relaxer when i took the weave down.

oh well...i wish her integrity and business success.

BostonMaria

:lol: Yes it is rileypak. I subbed to her a while back for exercise tips. Don't watch often, so didn't know she went natural as she always has a wig/weave.

Looking at that ridiculously long weave on her head.. I'm not really surprised she's "over" the natural hair thing LOL I couldn't watch more than 2 minutes :grin:

Britt

Looking at that ridiculously long weave on her head.. I'm not really surprised she's "over" the natural hair thing LOL I couldn't watch more than 2 minutes :grin:

Yepp! I clicked on the link and saw the typical long, tacky looking wig/weave. Looks like a wig she's wearing here. I can't see her being the type to be team natural :lol:. She looks like she'd be much more comfy with long mermaid weaves and wigs.

I don't think natural is for everyone. It is indeed more work. I'm a new natural and I'm getting used to retwisting my hair at night, taking it down in the morning, and leaving the twists in to set/dry while I run outside to run errands. I know as my hair gets longer I can be able to put my hair in a ponytail. I can see how someone who is not really familiar with their hair or into their hair have a hard time being natural. I have two friends that are having an incredibly difficult time. Both of them are truly unfamiliar with their hair and they are not into their hair like that. They will leave their hair into the hands of a stylist instead.

greenandchic

I know what she means about dealing with her natural hair, I've had 35 years of dealing with my natural hair so one can only imagine the time I put into it, but I never thought about making a long video or post about it either. :)

At least I found a new fitness YouTube-er to subscribe to!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BostonMaria

I know what she means about dealing with her natural hair, I've had 35 years of dealing with my natural hair so one can only imagine the time I put into it, but I never thought about making a long video or post about it either. :)

At least I found a new fitness YouTube-er to subscribe to!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yeah I might subscribe too just for the fitness tips

Yepp! I clicked on the link and saw the typical long, tacky looking wig/weave. Looks like a wig she's wearing here. I can't see her being the type to be team natural :lol:. She looks like she'd be much more comfy with long mermaid weaves and wigs.

I don't think natural is for everyone. It is indeed more work. I'm a new natural and I'm getting used to retwisting my hair at night, taking it down in the morning, and leaving the twists in to set/dry while I run outside to run errands. I know as my hair gets longer I can be able to put my hair in a ponytail. I can see how someone who is not really familiar with their hair or into their hair have a hard time being natural. I have two friends that are having an incredibly difficult time. Both of them are truly unfamiliar with their hair and they are not into their hair like that. They will leave their hair into the hands of a stylist instead.

I've been natural since Sept 2007 (7 years) and I'm STILL learning my hair. I'd say it took a good 4 years to really figure out my hair and I can't even say I have it down to a science. My oldest daughter has had natural hair all her life so she can do all kinds of things with it. Most of us that had relaxers as children and then go natural do struggle in the beginning. My relaxed hair was pretty thin and easy to take care of. My natural hair has broken a few combs and does whatever she wants LOL :lol: There's a learning curve.

But no judgement. I'm sure that if she ever does decide to do the BC maybe she'll have a better time the second time around.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Natural hair is work

My hair curly/coily is harder to keep on my hair than my relaxed hair ever was. It tangles easily. It doesnt like to be detangled, it curls upon itself like no-ones business and its very fragile. I wouldn't go back though for anything in the world. I would have given up on my hair a long time ago, if I didn't realize , its what you make it.

I'm not a styler. I cant style my hair for nothing. I look better with longer hair... My WnGs are barely at my cheeks and Im APL. I've been natural for 6 years. I dont straighten.

All I have in me is a WnG and a bun with a twistout bang, LOL. Now protective styling, I can do.

I say all of this to say... do what you want in the end. If its not for you, thats ok.

Britt

I've been natural since Sept 2007 (7 years) and I'm STILL learning my hair. I'd say it took a good 4 years to really figure out my hair and I can't even say I have it down to a science. My oldest daughter has had natural hair all her life so she can do all kinds of things with it. Most of us that had relaxers as children and then go natural do struggle in the beginning. My relaxed hair was pretty thin and easy to take care of. My natural hair has broken a few combs and does whatever she wants LOL :lol: There's a learning curve.

But no judgement. I'm sure that if she ever does decide to do the BC maybe she'll have a better time the second time around.

Yesssss! It is really a process. I know my hair and have always been one to be up in my hair since I can remember. Going natural for me is certainly a learning curve for sure. The good thing for me is that I have this familiarity with my hair to start with. For those who simply do not, going natural will be a challenge indeed. My friend has been natural for like a 1.5 year I think but she's been wearing weaves and braids. Even as a relaxed head, she's always had a hard time with her hair, since we were teenagers. She can't understand her hair or really deal with it. She recently sent me a pic of a twist out she did and the outcome looked a hot mess indeed to be nice. To me, she has thin 4b hair and she has to understand her hair type and have realistic expectations of what it will look like. She's frustrated b/c of the time and money spent on products and figuring things out and I feel for her b/c I know for sure she really has no clue about hair. If she didn't live out of state I'd try to help her with her hair some.

Another friend is trying to go natural again. When I saw her last year she was natural and was getting her hair done weekly with perm rods. This is woman who is in the salon weekly for a wash n set. She knows nothing about hair but yet decides to go natural b/c 'perms are played and whack' she says :rolleyes:. When I saw her she had a cute perm rod set and was running from a few rain drops outside b/c she didn't want her hair to 'nap up' :rolleyes:. Now she's trying to go natural again but is under a weave. She asks me for hair advice but had no familiarity with her hair at all. I don't understand how being natural will work for her when the only thing she knows how to do to her hair is wrap it at night.

Royalq

one of the comments said they went natural because they saw all of the beautiful CURLS:perplexed uh, you failed right from the beginning:lol: . You cant go natural because your expecting 3b curls, not everyone's hair is like that. If more women had a realistic mindset when they approach natural hair then they wouldnt be so disappointed and frustrated. Let your hair be and do what its going to be and do. Too many are expecting easy finger detangling, wash n go's, week long moisture,speedy washing, and extremely simple product regimens that they see popular Youtubers doing. they get caught off guard when its much harder and time consuming than they thought.

But hey, do what makes you comfortable

ETA: 3 years in and im still learning. I chopped and had 2 inches of hair, i too was expecting to do a twa wash n go and gain 6 inches in a year:nono:. Even with 2 inches of hair my hair did not and still does not do wash n go's and probably never will. And i only grow 3.5-4 inches per year. And thats okay. I just let my hair tell me what it likes and doesnt like. DOnt get frustrated when your hair hates a product that every other natural hair loves. My hair loathes coconut oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter which are pretty much loved by all:lol:

Last edited:

kandake

A lot of these people shouldn't have gone natural to begin with. You can tell the bandwagon hoppers verses the people who truly want natural hair.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
The thing about watching all of these natural hair 'gurus' on YouTube, is that you are seeing only what they want you to see, which is a very controlled image. Every video that has been uploaded has been planned and edited to create a specific kind of content. You watch a video of someone doing a twist out, and their hair is just soo easy, so shiny, so full, so soft looking; but, for all you know, their hair feels crispy, it took them forever to get good enough results that were worth filming, it didn't last as long as they said it did, etc.

When you go natural and expect everything to just work for you--instantly--in the way that these videos make it seem like it does (and it doesn't! it takes lots of practice and patience) it's easy to become disillusioned. You watch a video of a wash and go, and the woman says her hair is soft and moisturized, and is plugging products from left to right, but what she doesn't mention is her hair feels broken dreams and she's only pushing those products b/c she's getting paid to. It's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Not everyone is out there creating a fantasy that only exists when a camera is on. Just be realistic when it comes to your hair. Even on here, you can't really compare yourself to someone who has years of experience under their belt, if you have only just started. There is no shortcut for something like that. And that goes for all heads of hair, not just natural hair.

lux10023

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

natural is not for everyone i takes patience lots of it--the bolded made me laugh out loud

i will say the awkward stage is what gets folks to throw in the towel--i did my grow out phase underneath LF wigs and i really took care of my hair underneath and etc

if your use to a 20 inch weave or etc like i am going from that to .5 inches of natural hair is an adjustment lol but you have to come to terms with it all:lol:

going natural is a commitment but it snot for everyone--i can't say i will be natural forever but there dis a certain length and healthiness that my natural care provides and i enjoy that...going natural also allowed md to understand my hair better and what it requires to remain healthy:yep:

I didn't know she was natural. *shrug*

Hmm, in watching the vid, looks like she just didn't get to know her hair. Talking about having to sit in a salon and taking a whole day to wash etc. She was only natural for 14 months. How much hair could she have that it was that serious? lol

Stormy

I'm still learning my hair too. There were a couple of times when I finally made it to SL I thought about texlaxing, but I saw enough setbacks from women who went natural, grew their hair to BSL or WL, then relaxed or texlaxed only to end up having to start over at SL or above. Of course setbacks can happen even if you're natural, but still... the answer for me was to just stick it out and keep learning. I've been natural for 3 years now.

For me it seems to get easier as my hair grows. Not the other way around as Buffy experienced, but everyone's hair and journey is different.

She said she jumped on a bandwagon. Bandwagons are temporary anyway. Not a good reason to go natural.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
:lol: Yes it is rileypak. I subbed to her a while back for exercise tips. Don't watch often, so didn't know she went natural as she always has a wig/weave.

Froreal3 it's been a long time since I've seen her so I didn't realize that was her. Good for her! I'm glad to see she's turned into a fitness head. I need to go on over and see what some of her fitness vids are about.

RegaLady

The thing about watching all of these natural hair 'gurus' on YouTube, is that you are seeing only what they want you to see, which is a very controlled image. Every video that has been uploaded has been planned and edited to create a specific kind of content. You watch a video of someone doing a twist out, and their hair is just soo easy, so shiny, so full, so soft looking; but, for all you know, their hair feels crispy, it took them forever to get good enough results that were worth filming, it didn't last as long as they said it did, etc.

When you go natural and expect everything to just work for you--instantly--in the way that these videos make it seem like it does (and it doesn't! it takes lots of practice and patience) it's easy to become disillusioned. You watch a video of a wash and go, and the woman says her hair is soft and moisturized, and is plugging products from left to right, but what she doesn't mention is her hair feels broken dreams and she's only pushing those products b/c she's getting paid to. It's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Not everyone is out there creating a fantasy that only exists when a camera is on. Just be realistic when it comes to your hair. Even on here, you can't really compare yourself to someone who has years of experience under their belt, if you have only just started. There is no shortcut for something like that. And that goes for all heads of hair, not just natural hair.

You are 100% right!! I know of some ladies whose hair grows between .75" to 1" a month and have u thinking they did something magical but hat is just the way their hair is. I stopped comparing my hair to others and just did what was best for me. If Buffy is happy I'm happy for her.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

natural is not for everyone i takes patience lots of it--the bolded made me laugh out loud

i will say the awkward stage is what gets folks to throw in the towel--i did my grow out phase underneath LF wigs and i really took care of my hair underneath and etc

if your use to a 20 inch weave or etc like i am going from that to .5 inches of natural hair is an adjustment lol but you have to come to terms with it all:lol:

going natural is a commitment but it snot for everyone--i can't say i will be natural forever but there dis a certain length and healthiness that my natural care provides and i enjoy that...going natural also allowed md to understand my hair better and what it requires to remain healthy:yep:

Yup, that's so true. That's especially why I stated what I said. She wore weave for the entire time being of her being natural. She never got used to trying to do anything with her hair. When she did have it out, she went to the salon. Then she gave up because it wasn't anything she was used to. Of course it wasn't something she was used to.

Not knocking her decision. Obviously I could not care less what she does with her hair. I follow her for her fitness vids. However, since she decided to put it out there, that is the conclusion that I came to based upon what she said in her video dissertation. :lol:

its not easy at all...lol i feel you. i invested in a hair straighter to i can start 'heat training'. there are females who dye their hair and relax it and their hair is still long up to their butt. ive never had long hair before and this natural hair movement has taught me a lot about my God given hair. do what ever makes you happy.