"Whale sperm" is not what you think it is!

lilikoi

While it's alternatively repulsive and hilarious to pretend that this refers to actual (genital) "sperm" from a male whale (I can't imagine how on earth they could collect that!) I'm sick and tired of this misinformation being spread around.

I don't have time to list all kinds of references but this one, from the PETA website is clear enough:

Spermaceti. Cetyl Palmitate. Sperm Oil.

Waxy oil derived from the sperm whale's head or from dolphins. In many margarines. In skin creams, ointments, shampoos, candles, etc. Used in the leather industry. May become rancid and cause irritations. Alternatives: synthetic spermaceti, jojoba oil, and other vegetable emollients.

I'm almost positive the conditioners made with "esperma de ballena" are actually synthetic because it's cheaper. I just don't see them hunting down (endangered) sperm whales (and that sperm does not have anything to with sexual reproduction). If they did, the products would be a lot more expensive. As a side note, in spanish "esperma" is a rarely used synonym for "cera", or wax.

By the way, that same page has other ingredients (including cetyl alcohol, usually made from coconuts) that could potentially be of animal (whale) origin.

So, there it is.

OK. Back to lurk mode.

Afrobuttafly

I preferred thinking that they harvested whale sperm by tracking the whales down, hoisting them up, molesting them and gathering the jizz into a large air tight container for various uses.

lilikoi

Aw! You had to go and spoil my fun :lachen:

I know a lot of us are just playing along but, there are plenty of members willing to believe anything if it's even remotely suspected to help grow hair. That's why I feel bad when I see that siggie about the breast milk loosening the curl pattern; most people know she's being sarcastic, but a lot have probably tried it...:nono: Now, with the unicorn tears all bets are off because if you believe that, well then!

My bottom line is, I originally came to this site with shameful ignorance about haircare. I've learned a lot. I want to pass that along. Golden rule, you know:yep:.

Tiye

I know a lot of us are just playing along but, there are plenty of members willing to believe anything if it's even remotely suspected to help grow hair. That's why I feel bad when I see that siggie about the breast milk loosening the curl pattern; most people know she's being sarcastic, but a lot have probably tried it...:nono: Now, with the unicorn tears all bets are off because if you believe that, well then!

My bottom line is, I originally came to this site with shameful ignorance about haircare. I've learned a lot. I want to pass that along. Golden rule, you know:yep:.

I suppose hair that smells of rancid breast milk, is no worse than hair that smells of rancid jeri curl juice. The way I see it, anyone who's literate enough to read and communicate in here, should have the common sense to figure out what sounds reasonable and what does not. If they don't, then they'll learn through experience.

BTW wale sperm may not be actual wale sperm but plenty of other animal by products that would sound disgusting to most are used in cosmetics. So what's one more thing. :)

naturalmanenyc

I have sperm whale conditioner. It's a Dominican product that I discovered about 2 years ago. Nobody is risking their life to collect the sperm of a whale. It's an oil from the sperm whale.

Sorry for the huge photo (deleted). It's the Capilo brand of whale sperm conditioner.