How do you prevent gray hair?

empressri

die.

I'm not being funny but that's the only way I can think of! It's grey before you actually see it coming out of your follicles, right? It's like McFadden and White, Aint no stopping.

Lilmama1011

My Friend said:
Has anyone been successful in stopping new growth from turning gray? If so, please share your regi.

Your going to get old whether you like it or not and you cant stop what comes out of your root, sorry unless you dye your hair and every time you get new growth you dye it but then again your hair will fall out

brittle_hair

Actually there's a Chinese herb called He Shou Wu which is supposed to work, I only have about 2/3 strands of grey, I bought it but never took it consistently..

My Friend

So no potion, lotion, tea rinse, vitamin, castor oil concoction can prevent grays? No African, Chinese, Jamacian, Dominican, or Indian herb that will repigment the hair strand?

My Friend

Each hair root contains a cell called a melanocyte, which produces the melanin that gives hair its natural color. Melanocytes function for a set amount of time. Once they die, the hair without melanin grows out in a transparent shade of gray, silver or white

My Friend

Each hair root contains a cell called a melanocyte, which produces the melanin that gives hair its natural color. Melanocytes function for a set amount of time. Once they die, the hair without melanin grows out in a transparent shade of gray, silver or white

So it seems follicle transplants may be the answer.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I started graying at 15.

Me too!:blush: I don't know if you can prevent them, but you can hide them with dye or ayervedic (sp?) oils. They turn my grays a darker red, but my grays still show anyway.:rolleyes: I've decided to do a rinse in 2 weeks. I don't want to do a rinse too soon after my texture softnerr. It may be weaker, but a chemical is still a chemical.:look:

RocStar

die.

I'm not being funny but that's the only way I can think of! It's grey before you actually see it coming out of your follicles, right? It's like McFadden and White, Aint no stopping.

empressri

I am so amazed you were able to bring a Breakin' reference into a thread about gray hair.
It made me laugh out loud for real. :lachen::lachen:

JOI

die.

LOL!!!! Yep Only 2 ways Out Die or Dye it lol. You can't Stop the aging process and some people get grey hair at an young age. My Brother is 28 years old and he is looks like 60 year old senior citizen by the head from stress lol.

Tiye

So no potion, lotion, tea rinse, vitamin, castor oil concoction can prevent grays? No African, Chinese, Jamacian, Dominican, or Indian herb that will repigment the hair strand?

There are Africans, Chinese, Jamaicans, Dominicans and Indians with gray hair - so the answer is no. :)

What might help. Learn stress management skills in middle school and practice them into adult hood. Eat right, exercise, always get enough sleep, etc. Most people have at least some gray hair by the time they're 30 if not earlier. Looking for the magic "gray-away" pill at the age of 30 is too late.

My Friend

Gray hair is, along with premature balding, one of the greatest fears of image-conscious men and women everywhere, but it may soon be a thing of the past.

Scientists at the Ito Lab at New York University's Langone Medical Center have identified the proteins that cause gray hair, which could lead to an eventual cure.

Gray hair is, along with premature balding, one of the greatest fears of image-conscious men and women everywhere, but it may soon be a thing of the past.

Scientists at the Ito Lab at New York University's Langone Medical Center have identified the proteins that cause gray hair, which could lead to an eventual cure

This breakthrough means that one day the wnt protein could be added to hair grooming products or supplements and help turn back the clock.

toinette

Tricking the president
I am turning 29 in less than two months and i have 5 or 6 gray strands towards the middle back of my head. I had one as a kid too.

cutiepiesensei

I don't think you can aside from dye or reducing stress. If it helps, gray and white hairs can be sexy. I know a girl that had a couple silvery grey hairs near the front of her hair. She got that whole section colored silvery grey and it's like a highlight. It looks pretty cool to me lol.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
henna and indigo has been my friend...when I feel like it, that is. I also heard that fo-ti (woo shu) is supposed to help to reverse graying.

toinette

Tricking the president
I dont want to pluck mine, not cause I think more will grow in its place. i know thats not true, but repeated plucking can damage the follicle and kill it so that hair will never grow. I'm tempted to tell my mom to cut them down as close to the roots as she possibly can but her eyesight isnt the best :look:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

What I want to know is why gray hair grows so much faster than the other hairs. i have a few persistant strands that i cut out and they grow back and end up being the same length of the other hairs again. how does this happen?

JazzyOleBabe

empressri

Gurl you at it again. But this time I was on the same page as you. I was thinking the same thing when I read the post and lo and behold you have the answer.:lol:

@ My Friend

When you find the answer, let me know. I am about 80 -90% gray. Oh well, c"est la vie.:ohwell:

Beverly Ann Properties

I agree with all of the comments given. I'm graying very nicely and have come to embrace it because I can always throw in a rinse and cover it. Right now I am watching it grow from the roots, because I started to measure my gray strands when I had 2'' of gray hair, now I am beyond 4". When I get to 8" I will be MBL. Your gray strands can show your growth progress. So all I do is concentrate on retention.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I read somewhere that drinking Blackstrap Molasses can turn grey hair black from the root. I haven't tried it though. I just henna mine to a burnt red color and KIM.

kinkycurlygurl

There's no stopping the gray. I started going gray at 19. I color. I feels like I color all the time, but because my hair grows pretty fast I have to color every three weeks to keep up with the grayl

Qurlyqt

Don't know how to prevent them or even if that's scientifically possible... yet. Shoot, they come up with stuff all the time. My advice, embrace them or henna or henna/indigo.

ChristmasCarol

At 43, I only have a few grays. I honestly believe my supplement regimen keeps them at bay. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies have been scientifically proven to hasten graying. Both my parents started graying in their early 30s, so I'm pretty sure I didn't inherit the "dark hair until old age" gene, lol.

PABA (B vitamins), folic acid, biotin, and Pantothenic acid will keep your natural color - not forever - but until a more advanced age.

auparavant

die.

I'm glad I swallowed that first first...seconds before. :lol: I think you can recolor it with Shin Men or vinegar/honey daily, as well as other supplements. Not easy. One thing I've noticed, where I'm getting whiter spots from vitiligo, there is always a hair or two that has also turned white.

Last edited: