Am I the only natural that hates braidouts and twist outs?

natural_one

I dont like twistouts either....The top part of my hair is too loose so it doesnt hold it, and by chance it holds the twists fall out within a day so wash and gos for me!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
This thread makes me feel better. My head is mainly 4a, with some 3c and 4b. Twistouts rarely work on my head, except in the 4b sections. Bantu knot outs don't work at all.

My hair seems to do best with braidouts and wngs.

ms.blue

I love my hair in flat twist outs. Flat twist outs are less time consuming imo than regular twists. I will rock a flat twist out for a week by just doing the pineapple method at night. I can't stand braid outs and can't do a decent bantu knot out for the life of me.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I'm a 4a natural and my hair HATES those styles:nono:. Besides the tangles, shedding, frizz, days to dry, it only looks good the first and second day and then begins to lose it's definition and get dryish and then at night, how the heck do you sleep without retwisting or risk flattening and ruining the style. When I slap some gel or KCCCC in my hair, I get shiny, frizz free curls for a week that stand up to sweat and sleep, plus no tangles. I guess braid out/twistouts aren't for everyone.:nono:

:( /rant

I'm not a fan now, but that could just be because I think a twist out would look so much better on really long hair. I always hated braidouts.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I love these styles but lately I have no patience for the drying time. Like I have no time to spend an hour or whatever braiding and twisting only to sit under the dryer and then air dry over night and STILL have it damp when I wake up. Like what in the world? Do I have to dedicate a whole week to this process or something?

So lately I'm either flatironing or in a bun.

Adiatasha

I love these styles but lately I have no patience for the drying time. Like I have no time to spend an hour or whatever braiding and twisting only to sit under the dryer and then air dry over night and STILL have it damp when I wake up. Like what in the world? Do I have to dedicate a whole week to this process or something? So lately I'm either flatironing or in a bun.

Happens to me everytime I do a twist or braid out

Dilettante

I hate them too honestly. I'm just very enamoured of my natural texture and typically don't care to manipulate my hair to get a texture I don't like as much anyway.

However I've had to trim (chop) a lot this year and my hair is very uneven now, so I'm learning to braid/twist out as a means of dealing with this for the foreseeable future.

starchgirl

I have never done a successful twistout, but braid and curls are my signature style. Twists never stay in my fine but dense 4A/4B hair to create a curl pattern.

11 braids with perm rods at the ends will give me 4 day hair. 14 braids will give me a style for a whole week. I use a banana clip to pineapple at night bc it does not stretch out my curls like a scrunchy. I always flip the ends so that they are facing my forehead to prevent them from getting crushed. Then I sleep in my bonnet on a satin pillowcase.

PlainJane

I have never done a successful twistout, but braid and curls are my signature style. Twists never stay in my fine but dense 4A/4B hair to create a curl pattern. 11 braids with perm rods at the ends will give me 4 day hair. 14 braids will give me a style for a whole week. I use a banana clip to pineapple at night bc it does not stretch out my curls like a scrunchy. I always flip the ends so that they are facing my forehead to prevent them from getting crushed. Then I sleep in my bonnet on a satin pillowcase.
Are you braiding wet hair? Loose braids or cornrows?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Well, this is discouraging. Signed, a transitioner
lol aww Honey Bee, don't get discouraged lol. Frankly I feel like naturals like myself and Kurlee who've been in the game for a while just lose patience for all of this ****.
As a new natural, you're gonna have the energy and drive to put in work to do bomb twistouts. For me, I've been natural my whole life so I'm very much over it. Even shaved my head a year and half ago because I was over it.

southerncitygirl

I never had to put energy into twistouts even as a newbie, here's what I suggest:
If you can't flat twist do individual twists (about 12-20)

Put perm rods on your ends

Use gel for hold (I use a leave-in underneath and a more natural gel if you are worried about dryness or shedding)

I also set under the dryer until I am 70-80% or more dry because I do my hair before bed and don't want to sleep on wet hair. Its usually dry by the morning.

You get better definition in wet/damp hair whereas it will be fluffier, bigger & stretched on dry hair. I would go lighter with product on my dry hair to combat shrinkage.

I have only tried braidouts on wet hair and they don't last but a day and I don't really like it. I will try on dry hair one of these days, which may come out better.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Twist-outs and braid-outs are how I live. Regularly wearing a wash 'n go wrecks havoc on my ends and causes countless SSK's. Twist/braid-outs become easier the longer your hair gets, IMO. When my hair was shorter, I'd have to re-twist/braid at night, but now that I'm WL, most times I just put it in a bun at night. I wear my hair in a bun 80% of the time anyway, so it getting stretched out and losing a some definition doesn't matter that much to me.

toaster

I love twist outs. Braid outs are okay but I'm a slow braider and don't feel like putting in all the effort. I do 8 two strand twists with braided roots, sit under the dryer for an hour, and my hair is done. To maintain I moisturize, seal the ends, and put my hair in 2 or 4 twists.

I haven't always loved my twist outs but I had to realize that this is what my hair looks like in a natural style. I can't compare my hair to other heads of hair, and once I came to peace with what I was working with, I started to love it.

Honey Bee

lol aww @Honey Bee, don't get discouraged lol. Frankly I feel like naturals like myself and Kurlee who've been in the game for a while just lose patience for all of this ****.
As a new natural, you're gonna have the energy and drive to put in work to do bomb twistouts. For me, I've been natural my whole life so I'm very much over it. Even shaved my head a year and half ago because I was over it.
Rocky91, Girl, I been transitioning for over a year. I ain't trynna hear that being fully natural is more work. :nono: :look:

Natty_Virgo

I take back what I said in this thread. I recently started doing bantu knots at night and is amazing in the morning. I think this will be my go to for work and wash and go on the weekends.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I take back what I said in this thread. I recently started doing bantu knots at night and is amazing in the morning. I think this will be my go to for work and wash and go on the weekends.
How do you sleep in them? I love the outcome, I just can't sleep in them.

Britt

Well, this is discouraging.

Signed,
a transitioner

Honey Bee awww don't be! You don't know what your experience will be. You might enjoy your twist outs/braid outs early on. Or you could do a puff, I could see that being really cute on you! I just pictured it... cute puff with a nice lipstick and your baby face... yaaaaasssssssssssss! Kinda reminiscent of when you wore a high ninja type bun.

Twist-outs and braid-outs are how I live. Regularly wearing a wash 'n go wrecks havoc on my ends and causes countless SSK's. Twist/braid-outs become easier the longer your hair gets, IMO. When my hair was shorter, I'd have to re-twist/braid at night, but now that I'm WL, most times I just put it in a bun at night. I wear my hair in a bun 80% of the time anyway, so it getting stretched out and losing a some definition doesn't matter that much to me.

I hope as my hair gets longer my twist outs magically take less time to do and I won't have to redo small twists nightly. As my hair gets longer I don't forsee having to continue on with my nightly small sections of retwisting. I hope not. At least I'll have more styling options. I'd be bunning this hair.

Last night I was coming home later than usual on the train and I was thinking, damn I do not feel like going home to retwist this hair. I came home and did 4 chunky flat twists and then twisted my bang this morning my hair doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look as fresh and bouncy as when it's twisted in smaller sections.

Girl, I been transitioning for over a year. I ain't trynna hear that being fully natural is more work. :nono: :look:

Lol... I think it's prob more work when it's shorter, when it's longer you should have more styling options. My wash days take the same amount of time as when I was transitioning b/c even then I was washing in 4 quadrants. It's just that when I was transitioning I was able to wash my hair and slick it back into a bun many times and just tie my hair down at night.

Alta Angel

Five years later, I am still using African Pride Braid Spray to wet my hair and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to set my braidouts at night. I either twist the ends 3/4 of the way down or use a perm rod. I use anywhere from 8-13 braids depending on how big I want my hair.

Five years later, twist outs are still one big giant fail for me!:lachen: They make my hair look shorter and they don't hold. I do love bantu knots though, and use the same products.