Low Porosity Support Thread

LightEyedMami

Now i get build up quickly so using no shampoo is a no-no for me, i use Giovonni shampoo and i always feel clean and not overally stripped....i just wish i could find the perfect leave-in...i want to order the bee mine soon but its $26, and im a typical college student so money is tight!!....in the meantime i will water down my giovonni 50/50 condish and see how that does...I currently have build up from the MN i have been using so i need to clarify this week

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@divachyk Lets see, I thought there were a lot, but I don't see them, hmmm. Only two: When I rub down the length of a strand, the ends are rough (on the front part of my hair which needs a good trimming). My hair used to dry as hard as a rock and the strands would fuse together. I know high porosity has the cuticle raised and the strands "catch" together.
@virtuenow, could it be the hair is rough because you are in need of a trim? My ends feel rough when they are not properly moisturized and/or after air drying. My air dried hair takes on a different texture than my heat styled / roller set hair. My hair snags at the ends as well when I'm due for a trim or when there are some split ends that require S&D. Have you tried the wet strand test where you take a clean piece of hair and place in a cup of water to see if it floats or sinks? If so, did yours sink or float? Mine floated for days which is a sign of low porosity hair. Hair that sinks to the bottom indicates it is high porosity. It's not uncommon, as you may know, to have high and low porosity strands. I wet strand tested today and one of my strands had portions that were both high and low. A part of the strand floated while the other part sunk to the bottom. I wet strand test periodically to ensure my hair's porosity has not changed. All and all, I still remain low porosity.

faithVA

[USER=20656 said:
blackeyes31626[/USER];16043143]So, you only wash/cleanse once per month? Do you cowash between mud washes?
Did you use acv before the mudwash?
I tried the Terressentials mud wash LCL and it cleaned my scalp but my hair wasn't really soft. Iono...

Didn't know you asked me a question. Sorry!

Yes, I only cleanse once a month. My hair stays dry so I don't cleanse it too often.

I am doing the CG method right now, so I am cowashing 3x a week. I don't do ACV because it closes the cuticles and my cuticles don't need any help closing :nono: I have tried ACV before and after, but it isn't something I like to work with.

I was using shampoo prior to the mudwash. I did the 7 day detox and my hair felt much better. I find that after, my hair accepts product much better.

I wouldn't say that I have soft hair no matter what I do. The only time my hair really feels soft is when I use something with glycerin. The mudwash works for me. I can typically water rinse my scalp or cowash and get it clean. Most things don't really stick to my hair.

faithVA

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];16043453]divachyk Lets see, I thought there were a lot, but I don't see them, hmmm. Only two: When I rub down the length of a strand, the ends are rough (on the front part of my hair which needs a good trimming). My hair used to dry as hard as a rock and the strands would fuse together. I know high porosity has the cuticle raised and the strands "catch" together.[/QUOTE]

I have both of those characteristics. My hair feels smooth only when heat or warm water is applied to it. As soon as it cools off it feels rough. And my strands fuse together nicely which is why I have SSK city.

faithVA

You can have low porosity hair with highly porous ends because they are old and weathered.

This is the case for my hair. I can not apply my shea butter blend to my strands, it will sit on my hair and not absorb. I can apply my shea butter blend to my ends every hour and you wouldn't be able to tell I ever applied anything to it.

I have not quite figured out how to keep my ends healthy. I am thinking that not being able to sufficiently keep my hair moisturized regularly is part of the reason my ends end up damaged and too porous. Just a theory.

virtuenow

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=10150" said:
virtuenow[/URL];16043453]divachyk Lets see, I thought there were a lot, but I don't see them, hmmm. Only two: When I rub down the length of a strand, the ends are rough (on the front part of my hair which needs a good trimming). My hair used to dry as hard as a rock and the strands would fuse together. I know high porosity has the cuticle raised and the strands "catch" together.[/QUOTE]

I have both of those characteristics. My hair feels smooth only when heat or warm water is applied to it. As soon as it cools off it feels rough. And my strands fuse together nicely which is why I have SSK city.

@divachyk yes, I did the water test before and my hair floated all day. I tried different pieces of hair and I was able to force one to kind of sink. I guess I'm confused about porosity b/c some sites say kinky hair is prone to be highly porous b/c of all the bends and kinks and it leads to dry hair that can't hold moisture. This is why I keep saying, hey I have the kinkiest hair, so it seems like it would get its dry characteristics from being porous; and not the opposite. @faithVA I didn't realize low porous hair fused together too. I wonder why?? Hmmph. And by the way, now that I use a healthy dosage of protein, my hair doesn't fuse anymore. Its like my hair strand has built up and are now strong strands. I didn't think lowly porous hair responded to protein. This makes it more confusing, b/c I treated my hair w/techniques for people w/porous hair and it worked.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];16045943]
I didn't realize low porous hair fused together too. I wonder why?? Hmmph.

I am not sure it has as much to do with my porosity versus my hair being very fine and my curls being fractal or zigzag. It is very hard for me to pull my strands apart. And when I do, they go in several directions.

faithVA

[USER=201322 said:
divachyk[/USER];16046647]@virtuenow, my low porosity hair dislikes an abundance of protein. I read Sista's article and that helped me. I think my hair fused together because of unhealthy ends.

Since coconut oil tends to act like a protein on some hair, do you think it would be enough to do a prepoo or hot oil treatment with coconut oil instead of using some other type of protein? I was just thinking this morning.

It's a shame. I have a whole container of coconut oil that I'm afraid of :lol:

*Frisky*

The best thing I have found for my low porosity 4a/b hair is to stop using shampoo, including non sulfate ones, matter of fact, anything that lathers leaves my hair dry and unwilling to absorb products or accept moisture.

I have switched to cleansing conditioners (wen) and this has saved my life.

I don't post much but hope this helps someone.

I believe this has helped my hair as well along with the CG method. I have used Oyin's shampoo bar a couple of times cause I felt liked I needed a little extra cleansing but my hair didn't feel stripped or dry afterwards.

faithVA

I think I am going to try straight moisture for the next 5 weeks. I think I may have been sabotaging my hair without realizing it.
1. I did a prepoo with coconut oil
2. I was applying henna each month
3. I was using AO GPB regularly
4. I was conditioning with growth and strength conditioners.

For the next 5 weeks I am going to use my mudwash, Tresemme Naturals and AO WC or AO Blue Chamomile (if I can get a bottle). I will only seal with grapeseed or sunflower seed oils. I will use castor oil only on my scalp. And I will use Tresemme Naturals as my leave-in. I need to look at my moisturizers and see what proteins are in those to see what I am going to use.

I think it is too late for my ends. So I did a search and destroy to remove the SSKs. And I will moisturize and seal those regularly until its time to dust at the end of June.

Let's see if I can turn my hair around.

*Frisky*

I think I am going to try straight moisture for the next 5 weeks. I think I may have been sabotaging my hair without realizing it.
1. I did a prepoo with coconut oil
2. I was applying henna each month
3. I was using AO GPB regularly
4. I was conditioning with growth and strength conditioners.

For the next 5 weeks I am going to use my mudwash, Tresemme Naturals and AO WC or AO Blue Chamomile (if I can get a bottle). I will only seal with grapeseed or sunflower seed oils. I will use castor oil only on my scalp. And I will use Tresemme Naturals as my leave-in. I need to look at my moisturizers and see what proteins are in those to see what I am going to use.

I think it is too late for my ends. So I did a search and destroy to remove the SSKs. And I will moisturize and seal those regularly until its time to dust at the end of June.

Let's see if I can turn my hair around.

I know I destroyed my hair with henna but that was when I was relaxed. I think if you are doing henna and using the GPB on a regular bases that may have been too much protein/strengthening. Even though I have cut out cones I am still leary about using products with protein like EcoStyler. I do need protein but maybe only once a month.

faithVA

I know I destroyed my hair with henna but that was when I was relaxed. I think if you are doing henna and using the GPB on a regular bases that may have been too much protein/strengthening. Even though I have cut out cones I am still leary about using products with protein like EcoStyler. I do need protein but maybe only once a month.

I was using henna to cover my grays so I was using that every 4 to 6 weeks. The GPB I didn't use that often but I don't think if I was going to henna that I needed to add anything else that acted like a protein.

I don't even think I need protein 1x a month. So I am going to stay away from anything protein or protein like in June to see what my hair does. I will evaluate it at the end of June.

I will see and update at the end of June.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Since coconut oil tends to act like a protein on some hair, do you think it would be enough to do a prepoo or hot oil treatment with coconut oil instead of using some other type of protein? I was just thinking this morning.

It's a shame. I have a whole container of coconut oil that I'm afraid of :lol:
faithVA, I'm unsure. I say give it a fair chance to see if you're hair responds well. I use a twofold method to determine when to protein treat: the wet strand test & increase in breakage. I use protein once every month to two months. Not often at all.

Ogoma

For the next 5 weeks I am going to use my mudwash, Tresemme Naturals and AO WC or AO Blue Chamomile (if I can get a bottle).

I am always confused about AO conditioners. Would the coconut fatty alcohol (or something to that effect) in almost all their conditioners be considered a protein?

faithVA

[USER=334345 said:
Ogoma[/USER];16050579]I am always confused about AO conditioners. Would the coconut fatty alcohol (or something to that effect) in almost all their conditioners be considered a protein?

From what I have read on the board most of the AO conditioners does have some protein in them but not a lot. The new formulas list the ingredients in the base now. I'm not sure what they are right off hand.

The AO conditioners so far are the only ones that seem to moisturize my hair at all which is why I have been sticking with them. When I finish the White Camellia I will replace it with the Blue Chamomile which is purposed for hydrating.

I don't have a replacement DC yet.

The WC ingredients are

Aqua, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, myristyl alcohol, camellia japonica seed oil*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), pelargonium graveolens (geranium) flower oil*, glycerin, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, salvia officinalis (sage) oil*, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, ascorbic acid.

I don't know what in there would be a protein.

Last edited:

Ogoma

From what I have read on the board most of the AO conditioners does have some protein in them but not a lot. The new formulas list the ingredients in the base now. I'm not sure what they are right off hand.

The AO conditioners so far are the only ones that seem to moisturize my hair at all which is why I have been sticking with them. When I finish the White Camellia I will replace it with the Blue Chamomile which is purposed for hydrating.

I don't have a replacement DC yet.

The WC ingredients are

Aqua, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, myristyl alcohol, camellia japonica seed oil*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), pelargonium graveolens (geranium) flower oil*, glycerin, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, salvia officinalis (sage) oil*, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, ascorbic acid.

I don't know what in there would be a protein.

I am also confused what would be protein in here, but maybe the two bolded? I guess times like this your approach is perfect - just listen to the hair :lol:.

Blairx0

Hi ladies.

I know I don't post in here, but I am convienced my hair is low po. I was wondering how long does your hair take to sure dry? I think my hair takes about a day and half minus a few hours in extreme heat. I just hope I'm not the only one.

faithVA

Hi ladies.

I know I don't post in here, but I am convienced my hair is low po. I was wondering how long does your hair take to sure dry? I think my hair takes about a day and half minus a few hours in extreme heat. I just hope I'm not the only one.

I've never actually timed it. It is at least 24 hours but that is when it is put up. I have never let my hair dry when its loose. I think it would dry faster that way but then I would shrink a lot.

faithVA

Have any of you tried Curly Kinks yet? http://curlykinks.com/ This may be my next purchase after I use up my stash. A lo po on another site said it works for her, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

No I haven't used this line. She's been working on it for quite a while. Maybe she will get it in a store near me or be at one of the hair shows :yep:

mg1979

faithVA said:
No I haven't used this line. She's been working on it for quite a while. Maybe she will get it in a store near me or be at one of the hair shows :yep:

A lot if the reviews compare it to Kinky Curly but that it's more moisturizing than Kinky Curly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

Picked up 2 bottles of AO Blue Chamomile. Getting in a good deep conditioning now. Later today, I will rinse and use Tresemme Naturals as my cowash and leave-in. Hoping I have some good moisture results.

Evolving78

faithVA

have you tried adding a little castile soap in your conditioner? i am going to try it today or tomorrow. i am just going to add a couple of drops.

faithVA

@faithVA

have you tried adding a little castile soap in your conditioner? i am going to try it today or tomorrow. i am just going to add a couple of drops.

Not to my conditioner but I did try shampooing with a diluted amount. Got a weird result I couldn't explain. Let me know how it goes.

After I tried the castille soap, I got scared and stop trying different things in my hair. I wanted to try the diluted baking soda wash or the baking soda in my conditioner but for right now I'm scared to try that too. :lol: So I'm just using a heat cap because I feel safe.

I've had too many setbacks in my hair journey. I would like to have 90 days with nice hair.

Evolving78

Not to my conditioner but I did try shampooing with a diluted amount. Got a weird result I couldn't explain. Let me know how it goes.

After I tried the castille soap, I got scared and stop trying different things in my hair. I wanted to try the diluted baking soda wash or the baking soda in my conditioner but for right now I'm scared to try that too. :lol: So I'm just using a heat cap because I feel safe.

I've had too many setbacks in my hair journey. I would like to have 90 days with nice hair.

you know i am in the same boat! ok maybe i won't try it? :lol: i will just stick to what has been working for the past 2 months! :lol: 30 more days to go!

Evolving78

faithVA

ok so i decided to bite the bullet and try the castile soap. i added 4 drops (dr. bonners lavender) in a cup of conditioner (suave almond and shea) (not a full cup, just enough to cover all of my hair)

well It Works! it didn't make my hair hard or crunchy. the conditioner i use is pretty thick, but it made it more creamy and easy to spread. my new growth is pretty soft and my hair was easy to detangle.

this article i found motivated me even more to try it!

http://cushblog.com/2012/04/19/hydr...l-about-the-energy-baby-technically-speaking/

you gotta try it! the water's fine! Do it! Do it! Do it! :lol:

i might do this twice a month just to make sure i don't overload on moisturizing. i'm relaxed, so i gotta take it easy.

Last edited: