relaxed ladies who flat iron roots/new growth only...

blackberry815

I'm thinking of flat ironing my roots from weeks 6-8 or 9 between relaxers... I'm a rollersetter so I wouldn't flat iron the relaxed portion of my hair.... I'm. Just a little scared even though its new growth once a week and really only the last two to three weeks between perms. Has anyone had any adverse reactions from flat ironing the new growth?

LushLox

I flat iron my roots occasionally and I've had no adverse reactions so far, I try and wait until I'm fairly deep into my stretch though. As long as I'm getting a good amount of protein and the hair hair is well prepped beforehand (ie deep conditioned) I'm fine.

If you're only going to be flat ironing for the last two to three weeks before your next touch up you should be okay - but listen to your hair!

blackberry815

Thanks so much! I'm prepooing with protein so hopefully that's enough.... Hopefully it will be easier combing these roots now.

danysedai

I also flat iron roots only after I rollerset and DC every week and I haven't seen any adverse effect. I recently got a GHD because I like how close the plates get to the scalp(almost no "lip" on the plate border) and that it only goes up to a pre-determined temp, that way I'm not tempted to use too high temps. After I take the rollers down I put a clip back into the "roll" formed by the hair, leave it all to cool and then I divide in quadrants without combing it out and starting at the nape I start getting small and thin sections and using only 1 pass trying to get the new growth and as close to the scalp as possible.

Britt

If your hair is pretty healthy (which i'm sure it is :yep:) you should be ok. I know a lot of women who get their roots blown to prolong a touch up. A few months back I decided to get my roots blown for this reason and whew.... it felt nothing short of satan's arse on my scalp. Prior to this I hadn't gotten a blow out in ages, so it felt like it was my first time getting it done. I'm not a hair scientist, but I somehow suspect that flat ironing the roots might be the lesser of two evils.
I've thought to blow dry and flat iron also, but b/c I exercise and sweat in my hair my roots will revert in no time. If you are not a sweater and super skilled w/ the flat iron :lol:, I think this is a good way to prolong your relaxer.

Whew, just typing this and getting the flashbacks of that blow dryer makes me cringer :crazy:

danysedai

Thank you! How hot a temperature do u use on ur roots?

GHD goes to a fixed temp of 370 F according to Mr. Google. I think they are going to come out with one where you can adjust the temp, but in my case I rarely if ever flat iron root to tip and the GHD leave my hair very straight anyway.

Brittster
I know what you mean with the blowout right there on your scalp, my stylist has a Twin Turbo and that thing gets super hot (it doesn't help that she's not good at it so instead of pointing it down sometimes she'll aim it straight at the NG. I only blow dry when I get my relaxer done, and that's because I've asked her to only blow dry my roots but she doesn't know how.:ohwell:

blackberry815

I am also not a fan of the blow torch.. Mostly all the tugging and pulling with the brush doesn't sit well with me.... I'm gonna flat iron the roots tonight with my fhi hopefully I will have pretty straight results... Like u said brittster I'm hoping this well help me make it to 9 weeks! Thanks ladies

Bnster

I flat iron my roots to stretch my relaxer as well, I do this once a week or every two weeks on wash day. I am not experiencing any breakage. I use 360F on the flat iron roots only. If I flat iron my hair I use the second lowest heat on the flat iron which I think is 315F.

lilpooky

Good thread. I just got a relaxer two weeks ago. I'm thinking about trying this when my newgrowth starts growing in.

yoli184

Im selling my FHI platform flat iron for $70. Bought it about a year ago on folica and rarely used it. I mainly rollerset and airdry. Includes original box, manual and heat mat. If interested please pm me.

Thanks

Mjon912

I don't think you'll have a problem...I always flat iron my roots when I'm into my stretch starting around 5/6 weeks post...I do it right after I wash and roller set or wash and air dry, I leave mine on 330 and go over them twice and I'm done...I do it only when my hair is freshly washed and don't do it again until I wash my hair again so about every 7-10 days and I always use a heat protectant

Mjon912

I've started blowdrying my roots I know it's bad but my roots are so unmanageable otherwise

Try an overnight prepoo with honey and oil... I'm 12 weeks post and wouldn't survive a long stretch without doing this...my roots come out so straight, it's like I got a relaxer

Evolving78

i do it after a roller set or if i'm using my hot rollers. the temp i use is 330F. i have a Croc flat iron. just use a heat protectant and you should be fine.

cocoagirl

For those that use a heat protectant, are you using it before you rollerset then again on just the roots for flat-ironing, or just before rollerset? What heat protectant are you using after rolling but before flat ironing? I use Beyond The Zone pre rollerset but it's liquid so don't like using it for the roots, I need some suggs....

Evolving78

For those that use a heat protectant, are you using it before you rollerset then again on just the roots for flat-ironing, or just before rollerset? What heat protectant are you using after rolling but before flat ironing? I use Beyond The Zone pre rollerset but it's liquid so don't like using it for the roots, I need some suggs....
I used a heat protectant before I would set my hair. And I flat ironed the roots afterwards after the rollers were removed.