How long did it take to get from APL to BSL?

Mari-Cris

I'm gonna say 4 months. I'm 5'8", average torso. I used a homemade sulfur mix and kept my ends on lockdown. Felt like a quick trip from apl to bsl. But I was mostly relaxed then. Seems like this texlaxing makes me feel like growth is slowing but it's not. Does seem that way tho. Not complaining. I'm loving the thickness.

Can you briefly explain your Sulfur Regimen?

constance

I've been taking special care of my hair for almost 2 yrs and I've grown/retained @ 5 inches. Yep, that's it. My beginning and end (July) pics are in my sig. I'm still tweaking my regime, but it seems that I've had more growth/retention in the last 6 mos due to:
1. Twisting my hair into a beehive spiral around my head instead of 2strand twists. It eliminates the occasion for knotting since all the ends are essentially flat against my head.

2. Vaseline on the last 4 inches of my hair. Seriously. I wash, dc, saturate with coconut oil, and then add Vaseline on the last few inches to seal as I'm twisting. I've also been experimenting with Kimmay's solution--adding it to hair before the Vaseline. Yes, my head it very juicy for 2 dys and no, Vaseline is not for everyone. ;)

Also, I'm shortwaisted meaning my torso is normal length up to bs, but short on down~3 to 4 inches from bsl-wl.

grow

LaFemmeNaturelle, thank you so much darling for coming back to post again once we had a few more details together of the info we need to access where we're at!

girl, i didn't know you were anemic? i have to hand it to you though because some friends of mine who are anemic have really thin, limp, lifeless hair and you've worked your hair into a full lion's mane head of hair, so you are on top of your game right there!

are you egging it and taking that whey protein?

constance, i'm glad the twisting beehive is working out for you!

how do you get the vaseline out? i've heard it takes a sulfate poo to remove it....

NJoy, i know your sulfur mix is a winner, (mz. 2 inches in one month!), but the ladies want details honey! don't be a tease, lol!

a big thanks to all you ladies who are helpfully offering us future BSL'ers advice!

constance

LaFemmeNaturelle, thank you so much darling for coming back to post again once we had a few more details together of the info we need to access where we're at!

girl, i didn't know you were anemic? i have to hand it to you though because some friends of mine who are anemic have really thin, limp, lifeless hair and you've worked your hair into a full lion's mane head of hair, so you are on top of your game right there!

how do you get the vaseline out? i've heard it takes a sulfate poo to remove it....

NJoy, i know your sulfur mix is a winner, (mz. 2 inches in one month!), but the ladies want details honey! don't be a tease, lol!

a big thanks to all you ladies who are helpfully offering us future BSL'ers advice!

After a lot of struggle with non sulfate shampoos, I had to throw out my list and experiment to see which shampoo (sulfate & non sulfate) was best for my natural hair. It was a difficult thing to do bc I'd read all the threads about sulfates. AussieMoist is my current favorite and as it turns out it has sulfates (which will wash out the Vaseline). It was a humbling lesson for me, but I've learned to listen to my hair. When it comes down to it, all my hair wants is moisture and to be left alone (no cowashing, etc). :)

LaFemmeNaturelle

@LaFemmeNaturelle, thank you so much darling for coming back to post again once we had a few more details together of the info we need to access where we're at!

@constance, i'm glad the twisting beehive is working out for you!

@NJoy, i know your sulfur mix is a winner, (mz. 2 inches in one month!), but the ladies want details honey! don't be a tease, lol!

So this is where the mention came from. Stupid notification never brought me here. Anywho, I eat boiled eggs almost everyday but no, I have never and will never drink a raw egg lol I also don't take any protein supplements. I just get my protein from the foods I eat (yogurt, milk, cheese, fish, chicken, beans, peanutbutter, and eggs...i think thats it). The raw egg is intriguing but I don't want to risk salmonella nor do I have time to make shakes every morning. I'm truly trying to keep my hair journey as simple as possible so I don't do consume anything unless I'm just doing it for health reasons and I don't feel I need raw eggs or extra protein.

Oh yeah I also eat alot of iron rich foods so I've never really had a problem with my hair due to being anemic. The only problems I have are extreme tiredness and I'm always cold and no amount of iron has ever changed either lol

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!

What details, mama? I've got info in my blog and pics in my lhcf album. You know I share e'erthang. Oh, and I always refer folks to the Sulfur Challenge thread.

Noir

This thread is inspiring! Shame there is no poll, I would like to know what the 'average' time frame is. WOW at those of you who made in 4-5 months!

ZkittyKurls

As far as height used to determine the time it takes to get from SL to SPL. i dont think much accurency can come from height. i think that the length from your shoulders to your armpits would be a better way to measure, because some people have longer backs/ or torsos than others. I am 5'8 but i am all legs. i have a short torso. Just a suggestion. :)

stillgrowin

wow,great thread.I am apl and am hoping to be full blunt thick ended bsl by my 30th bday which is April of next year.I am giving myself room for slow growing and trial and error on my part.If all goes well maybe I'll be between bsl and mbl....

discodumpling

I am 5'3 & slow grower (I think) & I claimed APL last October. I don't stretch or pull to measure so i'll see what I have when I flatiron next month. I'm hoping for BSL but most likely I won't get there till the end of the year. That would mean that it will take me 12 months +!

I have not been consistent with my supplements (multi, B complex , & fish oil) but have started to take them regularly in the past 3 weeks.

I've been using a growth aide consistently since April.

I just dusted my hair & the last time I did that was in February.

gadgetdiva

:yay: this is a super encouraging thread! I'm not APL YET but I will get there I seem to be a fast grower (note to self: get a tape measure asap). I'm learning a lot more now...thank you ladies!

ImanAdero

I also feel like this thread is mighty encouraging... I'm not sure how fast of a grower I am or not... But I'm 5'5 with a long torso (no like really). It's about 4.5 inches from APL to BSL (with the current bra I have on). I'm big on moisture, I juice with StaSofFro and use a shea butter/coconut oil mix too. Deep condition once every week or 2. Try to PS (although I'm failing right now...)

I am currently about an 1.5-3 inches above BSL. I claimed APL back in late April, so I hope to make it to BSL by the end of the year... I think I can do it.

All of this is so encouraging!

BostonMaria

I went from APL to BSL in 6 months. That was easy as far as I'm concerned.

Took me 11 months to go from BSL to MBL and 10 months to get from MBL to WL.

grow

I am 5'3 & slow grower (I think) & I claimed APL last October. I don't stretch or pull to measure so i'll see what I have when I flatiron next month. I'm hoping for BSL but most likely I won't get there till the end of the year. That would mean that it will take me 12 months +!

I have not been consistent with my supplements (multi, B complex , & fish oil) but have started to take them regularly in the past 3 weeks.

I've been using a growth aide consistently since April.

I just dusted my hair & the last time I did that was in February.

discodumpling, please share with us which growth aid you used and if you felt it has made a significant change in your growth rate.

thanks!

discodumpling

discodumpling, please share with us which growth aid you used and if you felt it has made a significant change in your growth rate.

thanks!

4 months after my daughter was born I experienced MASSIVE post partum shedding; my edges disappeared and I lost some thickness that I really couldn't have afforded to lose in the 1st place!

In April I began to use Deity America's Serum Gro Scalp Treatment. I now have a fro around my front hairline! I do not this grease made a difference in my growth rate but it did help to regrow my edges thicker than before.

I've used a few growth aides that work. Mostly the Hay Study essential oils, & i've experimented with MN & sulphur. When I have used all of my current Deity jar I will return to essential oil therapy. The Deity product has mineral oil & petro in it...I never planned on long term use. HTH

LaFemmeNaturelle

Thats really quick! do u have a fast growth rate? Either way this is very encouraging to me!

I'm not sure what my growth rate was from September to November but from November to now, my growth rate has been a bit less than half an inch a month.

Last edited:

D.Lisha

This thread is pretty up-lifting
I'm guessing I should be full BSL by next year June :yep:
Looking forward to it! :pulpdance:

Carrie A

I'm 5'7 and wear the bra lower (BSB). It's taken approx. 10 months to grow all of the hair to that length. I like for the hair to cover the strap before I call it. Some pieces reached sooner and have passed the mark, but I think those pieces were already past APL when I started tracking.

fitnessmommy

Hmmmm, maybe I am already BSL then.... I wear my bra extremely low I guess....about 2 inches past BSB is where the top of the bra starts... but then again I have a very long torso so who knows.

Katherina

I thought I was there, but pulled some hair and now IDK. :( It's been 11 months for me. It's 3.5" from APL, and I have 4" damaged ends (I S&D). Hope that helps!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I have heard a lot of women say that from APL to BSL is a piece of cake. I made APL this month and I'm hoping to BSL by this time next year.

Same here. I have learned not to get my hopes up reading these type of threads. I took me almost 11 months from SL to APL and I remember some saying it took them only 4 months to travel that same length. I hope I make BSL by this time next year.

chasturner84

topnotch1010 ITA on not getting your hopes up on these type of threads. It took me about 13-14 months to get from SL to APL. Even though I'm about 4" from full BSL I'm hoping that it doesn't take the same amount of time to get there. I could only wish to have NJoy-type progress...it is truly amazing.

helixhoney

Getting to APL was a piece of cake; getting to BSL seems impossible for me. If I could get my nape to grow faster, I might have a chance. It used to be the fastest growing part of my head until it reached APL fall last year. Now the nape breaks faster than it grows. I got highlights this summer and realized last night that it has grown MAYBE an inch and half over 4 months, while the rest of my hair has grown 2 1/2 to 3 in. Other sections have surpased it actually.

Janet'

I took me about 7 months...but BostonMaria is scaring me saying that it took her 11 months to go from BSL to MBL...Yikes...Oh, and I'm 5'7.5"

BostonMaria

I took me about 7 months...but BostonMaria is scaring me saying that it took her 11 months to go from BSL to MBL...Yikes...Oh, and I'm 5'7.5"

Janet' Gee thanks! ahahaha Yeah but that's just me. It could have been something I did wrong. It also could be because BSL to MBL was over the winter, a time that my hair tends to grow slower. APL to BSL was spring through summer. I dunno. Plus don't forget that as your hair grows longer it is older so you have to work harder to retain length. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL

Took me a little less than a year to go from MBL to WL (felt like forever) and its because I got like 3 trims in that time period.

MrsHouston

What also matters is what type of bra they're wearing. Mine are usually low, I've yet to purchase a bra that was "high" in the back, so I'm not sure what make some bras high in the back versus low.

I was full APL in May and it's now November and I'll do a length check in Dec, hoping I'm at BSL then. 7 to 9 months sounds like a logical time frame. I'm 5'4 with an average torso I guess.

Not to highjack, and I hope this is okay with you grow, but I just wanted to request that when you ladies respond, that you also please mention your height and/or vaguely mention your body proportions (long torso, short torso, high waist, etc). And if you're a fast grower, slow grower, etc, please toss that in as well?
I just think it's important in these threads, because it does help put things in perspective. I'm definitely not trying to diminish anyone's hard work or anything, but height, growth rate, and body proportions make a big impact on how quickly or slowly we all reach our goals.