June 2009~Hits & Misses~

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Next is Baba De Caracol (poo & condish) its a Dominican Product. When I went home I was sure to stock up on some Dominican Products. When I was in the store I have heard 2 Spanish ladies talking about this one and they said it was really good and they notice a difference from the first use. They were right. My hair was blinging!

I got two more but I have not used them yet Crece Pelo (poo & condish) which I'm told translates into "make the hair grow" and Wheat Germ (condish only).

:yep:Big Cosign on the Baba de Caracol. I can detangle without ripping hair out with this. This is a staple going forward for me as well.
My relaxed hair liked Crece Pelo & I will use again.
I bought the wheat germ too but haven't tried it. I think I will have same results as the baba, except it will be more moisturizing? I am trying to figure if baba strengthens, because it definitely moisturizes.

Computer Blue

Hits

CurlyNikki's recommendation of behentrimonium methosulfate in conditioners- is the guiding force in choice of pdts. now
Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol as a leave in for braidouts:blush: very moisturizing slicked/set my waves for days.

Surya Henna colorfix leave in-has behentrimonium methosulfate so it helped detangle the relaxed hair -seemed to be not doing much, but when dried my hair was very smooth and strengthened a little. fixed a porosity issue.

continuing:
ayurvedic oil prepoos
Baba de Caracol DC
kenra ms, mc
porosity control shampoo
aveda detoxifier shampoo-now it seems less stripping &soothes scalp
strong fenugreek tea added to thick dcs protein without ill effects
sabino-even though I have to shampoo twice(diluted) to get a quarter size total out

misses

Yes to carrots dc- acts like a protein, clumped and tangled hair:perplexed-dimethicone. Also threw off my porosity for some reason- cuticles just raised.:nono: took 2 weeks & 2 hellish wash days to fix. I am shell shocked and will wash,dc only in braids. Gave it to my twa'ed cuzzo

cones, esp. dimethicone in deep conditioners
soy protein -dry,dry,dry:nono:

ETA Oh yeah "detangling" in shower stream with a shower comb.Total waste of time/excess manipulation of relaxed hair in its weakest state. Totally pointless for me unless my goal is to be bald. Hair still tangled, and creates knots.

Last edited:

La Colocha

Hits

CurlyNikki's recommendation of behentrimonium methosulfate in conditioners- is the guiding force in choice of pdts. now
Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol as a leave in for braidouts:blush: very moisturizing slicked/set my waves for days.

Surya Henna colorfix leave in-has behentrimonium methosulfate so it helped detangle the relaxed hair -seemed to be not doing much, but when dried my hair was very smooth and strengthened a little. fixed a porosity issue.

continuing:
ayurvedic oil prepoos
Baba de Caracol DC
kenra ms, mc
porosity control shampoo
aveda detoxifier shampoo-now it seems less stripping &soothes scalp
strong fenugreek tea added to thick dcs protein without ill effects
sabino-even though I have to shampoo twice(diluted) to get a quarter size total out

misses

Yes to carrots dc- acts like a protein, clumped and tangled hair:perplexed-dimethicone. Also threw off my porosity for some reason- cuticles just raised.:nono: took 2 weeks & 2 hellish wash days to fix. I am shell shocked and will wash,dc only in braids. Gave it to my twa'ed cuzzo

cones, esp. dimethicone in deep conditioners
soy protein -dry,dry,dry:nono:

ETA Oh yeah "detangling" in shower stream with a shower comb.Total waste of time/excess manipulation of relaxed hair in its weakest state. Totally pointless for me unless my goal is to be bald. Hair still tangled, and creates knots.

Where do you purchase your bentrimonium methosulfate? Alot of the products that work for my hair contain this ingredient. This is on my future wish list.

Dposh167

Hit:
shescentit moisture mist leave-in (just sprayed a lil on my ends after a cowash...and softened my hair nicely)

Computer Blue

Where do you purchase your bentrimonium methosulfate? Alot of the products that work for my hair contain this ingredient. This is on my future wish list.

I don't have the ingredient, but I was thinking about buying some to add to conditioners. I am going to look for it.

Americka

Try this website: http://www.the-soap-dish.com/lotionmaking.htm

Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS)
Also known as "emulsifying conditioner", this gentle ingredient is the key to exceptional hair conditioners. It is derived from natural Colza oil and provides many functions. It is an exceptionally mild conditioning agent, detangler, and hair thickener. It also functions as the primary emulsifier in lotions and conditioners. It gives a soft powdery afterfeel to lotions and creams. Use in Basic Hair Conditioner, Shea-m On Me Scrub, or Luxury Lotion formula. Easy to use flakes. Recommended usage is 1-10%. INCI: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol
8oz Behentrimonium Methosulfate $4.75 16oz Behentrimonium Methosulfate $8.00 5lbs Behentrimonium Methosulfate $37.00 10lbs Behentrimonium Methosulfate $70.00** 44lbs Behentrimonium Methosulfate $297.00**

MonaLisa

Wanted to give a nearing the end of June
continued hit shout outs to:

WEN Fig
Hairveda SitriNillah conditioner, Cocosta Oil, Whipped Ends Hydration Cream, Whipped Jelly, Amala Poo and Green Tea butter *whew*
Vatika Oil
My bootleg 4.50 oil
Joico Kpak
YTC Mask

Newest Hits:
KBB Hair Milk and Luscious Locks Mask
Whipping up my own hair butter and keeping extra coin in pocket for other products :look:

Revisited Hit:
Mane N Tail Conditioner (Original Version)

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Big HIT: AO HSR used as an overnight dc on damp (not wet) hair. I used it once as a dc under the dryer for an hour and it was okay. Last night I used it as an overnight dc (my hair was dry, so I sprayed it with my water bottle to dampen it and then applied HSR) and my hair is so moisturized and soft!!! I hardly lost any hair at all detangling! :yay:

sylver2

hit
Sabino moisture block
chi turbo flat iron

miss
jane carter nourishing creme. hated it! and the smell makes me nauseus

adw425

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Sylver2 I agree with you on the Jane Carter nourish and shine. They had a sample jar in Whole Foods and I tried it and to me it was a bit dressed up shea butter, which I buy in bulk at the African store and the smell was awful and I am not even sensitive to smells. That smell hung around for hours, too. Likely I probably shouldn't even have tried something from an open jar in a store, but...I was curious from all the rave reviews. I thought I must be weird because so many love this product and I absolutely hated it, but I know that I also hated other pretty popular things like ORS packs and Giovanni Direct, or rather my hair did. I definitely agree that not everything is for everybody.

Last edited:

ChemistryGirl

HUGE HIT:
Joico K-pak line! This stuff made my hair feel strong when wet AND dry! It blew Aphogee 2 min and AO GBP, out of the water. I've used the shampoo, conditioner, deep penetrating reconstructor and the intense hydrator. They are all ah-mazing! I feel like this is a turning point in my hair journey, hopefully my breakage issue is solved!

Miss:
Shescentit Banana Brulee - it smells weird and it doesn't look or feel natural. It also felt weird on my hair and I don't think it did much. I was so sure I would love this conditioner but I guess not.....

On the fence:
Paul Mitchell the conditioner - My hair dried hard, I will try it a couple more time before I decide. I am having such a hard time finding a great leave-in

Aggie

HUGE HIT:
Joico K-pak line! This stuff made my hair feel strong when wet AND dry! It blew Aphogee 2 min and AO GBP, out of the water. I've used the shampoo, conditioner, deep penetrating reconstructor and the intense hydrator. They are all ah-mazing! I feel like this is a turning point in my hair journey, hopefully my breakage issue is solved!

Miss:
Shescentit Banana Brulee - it smells weird and it doesn't look or feel natural. It also felt weird on my hair and I don't think it did much. I was so sure I would love this conditioner but I guess not.....

On the fence:
Paul Mitchell the conditioner - My hair dried hard, I will try it a couple more time before I decide. I am having such a hard time finding a great leave-in

Have you tried Rusk Sensories Leave In with Passion Flower and Aloe? It's awesome on my hair and smells divine:lick:.

ChemistryGirl

Have you tried Rusk Sensories Leave In with Passion Flower and Aloe? It's awesome on my hair and smells divine:lick:.

You know that is the next leave in on my list. Maybe I should go ahead and try that. So far I've tried:

Giovanni Direct - Big miss, my hair dried hard
Lacio Lacio - I love this when I used it for a rollerset, but it doesn't work as well when bunning
Cantu Shea Butter Leave in - It felt good for the first few hours, but then by the end of the day my hair was dry
PM the conditioner - I've only tried once, but my hair dried hard
Komaza Care Shea butter lotion - I kinda like this, but it is really heavy and oily. This is what I currently use most of the time.
Profectiv Break-Free Strengthening leave in - the verdict is still out on this one. I need to revisit it.
HE LTR - I also kinda like this one, but it leaves my hair feeling coated and weird...but moisturized.
JC Nourishing Cream - Once again, felt good for the first few hours, but then my hair dried out

I've also tried some spray leave ins, but my hair needs more, so if I use them, I always layer a cream leave in over it.

I'll probably revisit all these leave ins a couple more times, before I get the Rusk Sensories Leave in. Thanks for the reccomendation Aggie, I know you know your products!

PS: My hair is not protein sensitive and I don't think it's overly porous anymore. Hmmm, I should do a strand test today....

Bluetopia

Hits
  1. QB Amla & Olive Heavy Cream on wet hair (my dry hair is so so on it)
  2. Using the ponytail method and a silk scarf to dry my hair with no heat
  3. QB Olive and Honey Hydrating balm on dry hair during the week when I am slicking back my bun.
BIGGEST SURPRISE HIT - #1 My Goody Paddle Brush :woot:
This brush is single handedly the reason why I can now stretch my 4b hair for 6+ months. I barely use my wide toothed comb anymore and use this instead to brush my wet hair into a ponytail. I used to shed alot and now I have virtually no shedding!!!

BIGGEST SURPRISE HIT - #2 mixture of
  • 1/2 a bottle of Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier
  • 1/4 bottle Rose Water & Glycerine and
  • 1/4 bottle distilled water
as a post shampoo detangler/leave in conditioner

This makes give my hair so much slip and moisture that my paddle brush glides through my hair. I also use it during the week on my dry hair before brushing. I am in shock. After all these months I've finally found a heat free, moisture rich, low maintenance routine to stretch my usually dry, brittle hair with minimal shedding :2cool::reddancer:

i just pop on a natural textured phony pony in the morning (i spray oil on the combs inside the pony to be on the safe side) and I'm ready to go :grin:

Misses
Megatek - my hair cleary has too much protein as is and hates it. MT makes my hair super dry and it starts loc'ing up when i use it :blush:

Last edited:

adw425

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Co-signing on that Taliah Waajid mixture. I decided to do this from a suggestion in another thread and it is magic. I had a half bottle and added rosewater and a tiny bit of castor oil (left out the glycerin as my hair has a love-hate with it)and distilled water and :grin: -- heaven in a bottle...

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I have 2 bottles of the Taliah Waajid mist, I DID have 3, but me and my family go through it like water :lol:

I'm gonna go to the health store and get some rosewater glycerin :D

I already tried half Mist and half rosewater. Now I'll try 1/2 Mist, 1/4 water and 1/4 rosewater glycerin

exubah

Don't you love Henna/Indigo? Somebody just told me today, my Hair was Blingin':look:. And I ain't got but 2 strands.

The Instructions that came with mine said, both should have the consistency of stirred yogurt. So, if it isn't, you probably made it a little too runny.:yep:

About the Clumps, do you think you neutralized properly and removed all of the relaxer out of your temple area?:ohwell:

I am actually going to do a follow up indigo this weekend cus I don't think I left it in long enough when I first did it with the henna.

To the bold.....I didn't think it was runny, but my hair might have been a little too wet. After rinsing out the relaxer I put in Aphogee 2min reconstructor then I neutralized with all of the product in the box, leaving it in for 10 minutes before rinsing out. I then used Roux Porosity Control Shampoo for a few washes before dcing......anything is possible so it could be that even with all of the neutralizing I could have missed the temple area. The extreme shedding in those areas have stopped for the time being so thank God for that. I have been putting JBCO on those areas everyday and taking ma garlic pills!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am actually going to do a follow up indigo this weekend cus I don't think I left it in long enough when I first did it with the henna.

To the bold.....I didn't think it was runny, but my hair might have been a little too wet. After rinsing out the relaxer I put in Aphogee 2min reconstructor then I neutralized with all of the product in the box, leaving it in for 10 minutes before rinsing out. I then used Roux Porosity Control Shampoo for a few washes before dcing......anything is possible so it could be that even with all of the neutralizing I could have missed the temple area. The extreme shedding in those areas have stopped for the time being so thank God for that. I have been putting JBCO on those areas everyday and taking ma garlic pills!

Whoo --- I'm Glad the shedding stopped. That is always "scary" especially Clumps:spinning:

As far as the Indigo...Yeah...it coulda been too wet, because it's just suppose to be "damp" when you apply. Although, I have also tried it on dry hair too and it was fine. For me, it wasn't any more messier than the Henna.

But I absolutely :love:Love the Results. It's the Bestest! :love:

blackpearl81

HIT: LeKlair Cholesterol with shea and mango:lick:
Nexxus headress weightless leave-in (got it from TJX for 3.99 and I luvs it!!!)

Miss: ORS olive oil moisturizer---too heavy and it has mineral oil AND petroleum:nono:never again

RedVelvet310

Hits
Natural hair products, this month I fell in love all over again with coconut oil as a pre-poo. My best friend (who is S.A) recommended that I rinse my hair with vinegar on wash day. It detangles my hair BEAUTIFULLY. Also mayonnaise as a dry hair conditioning treatment :yep:

Using a light cheapie conditioner as a shampoo has REALLY improved the quality of my hair NO MORE TANGLES!

Sulfur8 .. nuff said :grin:

Misses
Don't kill me... but at an attempt to stop the reversion of my hair, I stole from ... Shima and tried to press my hair with brown gel :ohwell: it didn't ruin my hair, it just made that area hard. It was the first area to revert as well... thank god I only put it on the back.

msa

Hit:

Whole Foods 365 brand Conditioner (Fragrance Free).

I needed a conditioner that could detangle and be used to wash my hair (with baking soda added) so that I don't have to use my Oyin Honey Hemp. This conditioner worked perfectly. I can add it to dry hair to take my braids out and prep for washing, I can use it to detangle, and I can use it to wash. And, it doesn't have cones, protein, or any of my blacklisted ingredients.

I can't use it as a leave-in (doesn't moisturize enough) but that's fine because that's what I use my Oyin for. Oh and it's only 3$ for a 16oz bottle.

Honi

There is no board.
HIT: Dr. Bronners castile soap (lavendar) mixed with olive oil, water and honey. Me likey! I will use this in between my Chargrin Valley shampoo bar orders :yep:

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
This sucked for me as a conditioner as well but worked well as a daily moisturizer. Try it that way and see how your hair will respond or use it as a DC on dry hair or even as a pre poo. Don't get rid of it until you've tried using it these other ways first.

I completely agree. I bought a Liter size bottle along with the nexxus Therapee and was not impressed at all. :nono: I couldn't get the stuff to properly moisturize my hair... seem to feel like a coating.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
June Hit: IC Fantasia Frizz Buster Serum. Giving my Phony-Bunning that Super Blinging Shine. It's like Glass.:lick:

Miss: So Far None. Conduct careful research on what I spend my Money on. So, that I will have measurable outcomes.:yep:

Not into having a bunch of Products Stacked Up in the Product Cemetery.:nono: So, when I make a Purchase, I try to be Strategic.