BLACKS TAKING BACK THEIR BILLION $ HAIRCARE INDUSTRY FROM KOREANS!

bludaydreamr

In regards to the original topic...what products are Koreans keeping other people from buying? It can't be relaxers, shampoos, conditioners, and items like that. Those things are manufacturers mostly by large companies and can be purchased easily. Even stores like Maly's and Cosmoprof will sell to any BSS.

The main reason they dominate is because of the weave and wig revenue. They have been able to take over the industry by marketing and selling to each other effectively enough that a lot of wholesale black hair product magazines aren't even printed in English anymore they are mostly all in Korean.
Oprah did a special on AA owned BSS a few years ago and it was discussed. One poster mentioned the California company that made irons were shut out because the Koreans replicated and sold cheaper irons and refused to by the irons.
I found it. This is the link to the first part of the documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

This is the update done 5 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-nX25UrsI

I've even seen evidence/trend of Black women and men going to India to start their own weave businesses and oversee the suppliers. Ultimately, we need to grow our own out...but wigs and weaves can be awesome protective styling and that trend will never die. I want to see Black nail businesses come back. I remember the days when nobody got "they nails did" but black women. Now look...cheap awful jobs, ruined nails, dangerous chemicals even though illegal...they still do it. Koreans wanna play? We're waiting. So many Blacks have been horribly hit in this recession (I'm talking corporate) and they are looking to start up their own businesses...this is the time! Now, to rectify this lending process....maybe we ought to have the African system where you put into a pot and lend and you pay back. Your entire community is riding your butt until you pay it back...but many a good business was started this way...and it used to be the African American experience until a certain time of desegregation!

To the first bolded: My sister bought some Wagman's hair she and a co-worker are trying to start up a weave business because it is just that lucrative. We really need to take this ideas into consideration because there should be no way this much money should ever leave our community.

Honesty, I prefer to purchase products from an AA own business rather then a Korean store. Im convince they dont respect us and the service they provides is poor. I work too damn hard to earn a living. Im at the point to my life I've been selective in where I want to share my hard earn dollars with.

So now this is out in the open. Now what? What are the ways to strengthen AA business and community? I want to learn how.

Bobbie
ITA. I would like to know too.

larry3344

I really like what is being said here that is the same issue we have here in Canada. My monther and I either shop at Walmart or drive an hour to go shop at a black beauty supply. It is not personal but just like Koreans like to keep businesses in their communities so do I. I don't need to justify why I prefer to frequent a black owned business. Everyone does it why not us, why do we always have to justify ourselves on things that can advantage us. I don't hate Koreans and the like, I want to see black communities own lucrative businesses so that we can stop being asscociated with poverty. At the end of the day money talks and no matter your skin colour your monetary influence can override many prejudices. Money is inly one colour!

RossBoss

When banks get over their prejudice (even the Black-owned ones) and stop redlining folks in their own communities, these businesses will come back. When we are no longer shut out of the large hair clubs to be able to purchase items on the super cheap, we will dominate that industry again. I've even seen evidence/trend of Black women and men going to India to start their own weave businesses and oversee the suppliers. Ultimately, we need to grow our own out...but wigs and weaves can be awesome protective styling and that trend will never die. I want to see Black nail businesses come back. I remember the days when nobody got "they nails did" but black women. Now look...cheap awful jobs, ruined nails, dangerous chemicals even though illegal...they still do it. Koreans wanna play? We're waiting. So many Blacks have been horribly hit in this recession (I'm talking corporate) and they are looking to start up their own businesses...this is the time! Now, to rectify this lending process....maybe we ought to have the African system where you put into a pot and lend and you pay back. Your entire community is riding your butt until you pay it back...but many a good business was started this way...and it used to be the African American experience until a certain time of desegregation!

Excellent post!
I would not be surprised if when the first Koreans started marching into Black neighborhoods and opening businesses some 40 years ago that the Black leaders told the Black community:

"Don't worry, let them on in, they're "people of color" just like you and was oppressed by the White man just like you, us "minorities" have to stick together, better our Asian brothas and sistas than "da White Man" and yadda yadda yadda,..."

You know they know the buzzwords to use to get into the hearts and minds of Black folk because these buzzwords are what we hear when they reference other groups now:rolleyes: Now look at the end result of us being so welcoming :spinning: .We are now on the outside looking in and don't even control our OWN hair industry.:yep: How's that kumbayaness working out for us now?

Boujoichic

I remember seeing this documentary a few years ago. I would love to support a Black owned Beauty supply.

I even thought of starting a challenge thread here where we could try to make and effort to at least make every third purchase from a local Black owned Beauty Supply or black owned website. It would be interesting to see if even just us ladies here could make a difference.

There used to be a directory on the BOBSA site where you could find a local Black owned Beauty Supply but I couldnt find it when I went today. I did find a facebook page that offers info on where you can find a BOBS in your area here's the link http://www.facebook.com/BlackBeautySuppliers?sk=wall

Last edited:

ProfectivGirl

I am sooooo happy this thread was created because my career goal is to be a successful black beauty supply store owner, and not just one bbs. my goal is to own a chain. I have to drive about 30 minutes from my house to a black owned bss and I am willing to do it to support them, even though there are at least 4 korean places right by my house. I read a comment that said it seemed easy to open a store and from tons of research and knowing people that have tried and failed, no its not easy. having a few grand saved isn't going to guarantee that your business grows or even stays open if no one is buying from or selling to you. I think the more we purposely stop giving them our money and support our own the more successful we will become as a race. I used to be upset with black owned bss because it seemed like their prices were so much higher but it wasn't until I realized that it was because they have to pay so much more for the products, so if they sell at the price of the koreans there's no profit, and that's the point of owning a business. once I am finished with my education and I am ready to open my store, I pray that the group of people wanting to see this industry fruitful of AA grows, because it is hard to achieve something great for our people of our own people aren't behind it.

Sent from My Android ;)

anon123

I'll be one to disagree and say that I think the black hair care business is rightfully ours, should be ours primarily and fundamentally, and not anyone else's. Of course it isn't easy and I'm not advocating boycotting anyone else, but I am happy to see more and more black owned hair care businesses and make sure that some of my money goes to them.

Lovelylocs

Has anyone else noticed that the links to online hair stores on the BOBSA site do not link to actual hairs stores?

Guitarhero

Excellent post!
I would not be surprised if when the first Koreans started marching into Black neighborhoods and opening businesses some 40 years ago that the Black leaders told the Black community:

"Don't worry, let them on in, they're "people of color" just like you and was oppressed by the White man just like you, us "minorities" have to stick together, better our Asian brothas and sistas than "da White Man" and yadda yadda yadda,..."

You know they know the buzzwords to use to get into the hearts and minds of Black folk because these buzzwords are what we hear when they reference other groups now:rolleyes: Now look at the end result of us being so welcoming :spinning: .We are now on the outside looking in and don't even control our OWN hair industry.:yep: How's that kumbayaness working out for us now?

I heard that the U.S. govt. passed some kind of law to ease trade so that the Koreans could dominate that industry. I'll try and find that source. It's so complicated...just like the bailout. You see it happening, you feel the pain but you don't quite know all the ins and out of how the heck it happened lol! I don't hate anybody and would/do support orgs that pool energies cross-community. However, the Koreans didn't give a good darn about the Black community when it came to this. They saw how the banks did us and how they could slyly come right on in and push everybody else out. Have they ever helped build a park, fix a roof, host a community food kitchen or even a neighborhood barbecue? Nope!

My dad tried to open one and he's an experienced business man but in antiques and other entrepreneurial industries (I didn't inherit that gene lol) and he said it was next to impossible to keep it running where he was because of the shut-out. You can do it...but you will face murder to try and make a chain of stores like they do....Gigi etc. Now, there are Black-owned (at least, I think they were) suppliers and they mostly do business with other black bss' and licensed professionals. Maybe if more of us invested in that...??? I'd like to do something to own my own. Need partners and a vision....and some money! :nono::lachen:

Junebug D

The main reason they dominate is because of the weave and wig revenue. They have been able to take over the industry by marketing and selling to each other effectively enough that a lot of wholesale black hair product magazines aren't even printed in English anymore they are mostly all in Korean.

Yes. This is one thing that was made clear in the Chris Rock movie, people were so busy foaming at the mouth that they missed that. All the money is in the fake hair. They don't have the lock around relaxers that you find in Target and Walgrees, obviously. All they seem to have the lock on is good-for-nothing "Doo Gro" types of products and WEAVE/WIGS. With this online phenomena, black people have a remarkable opportunity to change the game again. Education and spreading the word about healthier products that really do work and actively marketing these things to black people, not saying "Oh this is "mixed chicks" and not even necessarily putting some afro-wearing Bohemian chick in the advertising. Because, be real, a lot of the "natural hair" movement is elitist and not reaching Boomquisha or even seeming like an option for a lot. Boomquisha is not getting online to drop $25 on a nondescript jar of Qhemet. Meanwhile, that Doo Gro wrapper with the long, shiny, swangin' hair is getting their attention, although the products just do not work. You have to get the majority and appeal to them, and let them know that this product is FOR THEM and will help them to achieve the look that they want.

But the major question we need to be asking is what are we going to do about the fake hair. How are we going to make this a non-factor? Or is there a way that blacks can get in? Can we set up connections in Egypt or India or Kenya or someplace and get our own suppliers of hair, independent of what the Koreans are doing? If we can figure out how to get into the fake hair side of things, I think we have a real opportunity to make the Korean lock on "DOo Gro" a non-factor in time.

Umm Ebraheem

I went to the BOBSA website and some of the links do not work and their facebook and twitter seem to be nonexistant. I hope that they do not fizzle out. In this tech age you have got to use social media to your advantage. I stopped shopping at Korean BSS years ago and just recently had to emphasize the reason why to a group of my friends.

Also, not to be a legal geek here, but if what they are essentially alleging is that competing Korean firms act as a cartel, then why aren't we bringing antitrust suits on these facts? There are proper legal channels for redress if the situation is as alleged. I have not heard of anyone pursuing this through the proper legal channels. Does anyone have info on that? Spreading the word in the community is one thing but taking appropriate legal action sends a far stronger message.

Did a paper on this very subject in my antirust class....there are a lot of loop holes when dealing with the issue of collusion--short answer:nono:

babyu21

I am so glad I found a natural BSS in my area, Silver Spring, MD. Its not to far out the way but I don't want to give the BSS a single dollar of mine. They sell lots of the lines you ladies rave about that are usually sold online.

Just happy to see we are finally supporting each other, while using products that are better for our hair.

Ladybelle

Could we maybe start a thread on black owned hair care lines and make a sticky? I try to buy and support, but if I don't know about them, I can't support them.

Sugar

Oprah did a special on AA owned BSS a few years ago and it was discussed. One poster mentioned the California company that made irons were shut out because the Koreans replicated and sold cheaper irons and refused to by the irons.
I found it. This is the link to the first part of the documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

This is the update done 5 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-nX25UrsI

To the first bolded: My sister bought some Wagman's hair she and a co-worker are trying to start up a weave business because it is just that lucrative. We really need to take this ideas into consideration because there should be no way this much money should ever leave our community.

Thank you, I'm writing an article about this topic and I'm trying to get as many perspectives as possible.

Sugar

Yes. This is one thing that was made clear in the Chris Rock movie, people were so busy foaming at the mouth that they missed that. All the money is in the fake hair. They don't have the lock around relaxers that you find in Target and Walgrees, obviously. All they seem to have the lock on is good-for-nothing "Doo Gro" types of products and WEAVE/WIGS. With this online phenomena, black people have a remarkable opportunity to change the game again. Education and spreading the word about healthier products that really do work and actively marketing these things to black people, not saying "Oh this is "mixed chicks" and not even necessarily putting some afro-wearing Bohemian chick in the advertising. Because, be real, a lot of the "natural hair" movement is elitist and not reaching Boomquisha or even seeming like an option for a lot. Boomquisha is not getting online to drop $25 on a nondescript jar of Qhemet. Meanwhile, that Doo Gro wrapper with the long, shiny, swangin' hair is getting their attention, although the products just do not work. You have to get the majority and appeal to them, and let them know that this product is FOR THEM and will help them to achieve the look that they want.

But the major question we need to be asking is what are we going to do about the fake hair. How are we going to make this a non-factor? Or is there a way that blacks can get in? Can we set up connections in Egypt or India or Kenya or someplace and get our own suppliers of hair, independent of what the Koreans are doing? If we can figure out how to get into the fake hair side of things, I think we have a real opportunity to make the Korean lock on "DOo Gro" a non-factor in time.

It's funny you mentioned all of this. I've been compiling a list of suppliers of various haircare products. With regard to weaves and wigs I know from my time on BHM that there are tons of suppliers overseas that the ladies go directly to for products. Many ladies started their own businesses.

I also know an Indian/Sri Lankan couple that started an Indian hair business. They started out small out of their home, but were eventually buying hair by the ton every month. They opened a factory in India and now have a storefront here in Los Angeles.

I'm not saying its an easy feat, but it can be accomplished. Though the easiest part would be getting relaxers, shampoos, conditioners, and various hairdress items and tools/equipment.

ms.lisab

I stopped buying from Korean BSS a long long time ago because they sale bogus products. I still go to Friday's Beauty Supply at the edge of Compton and a local black salon on Robertson sales the products I use.

I have patronized Wilshire Beauty Supply when Miss Jessies was there giving a seminar and consultations. Now I need to stop giving those Koreans that bought the local market/package liquor store my dang pennies but they have a great 99cent section! LOL

Great article and discussion. We really need to support black businesses but some of them need to learn better business skills etc to keep us coming back.

I thought all the Friday's were closed. There use to be three in Long Beach, but they closed down some years ago. Nice to know that one is still open I will have to check that location out. Thanks

Amazhaan

Thank you OP!

With the variety of experience, degrees and backgrounds that we have on LHCF...I'm going to need you all to PM me and let's get this going.

This has been a dream of mine for quite some time. I have done the research, so could easily put together a business plan and game plan to get this going.

I am sooooo happy this thread was created because my career goal is to be a successful black beauty supply store owner, and not just one bbs. my goal is to own a chain. I have to drive about 30 minutes from my house to a black owned bss and I am willing to do it to support them, even though there are at least 4 korean places right by my house. I read a comment that said it seemed easy to open a store and from tons of research and knowing people that have tried and failed, no its not easy. having a few grand saved isn't going to guarantee that your business grows or even stays open if no one is buying from or selling to you. I think the more we purposely stop giving them our money and support our own the more successful we will become as a race. I used to be upset with black owned bss because it seemed like their prices were so much higher but it wasn't until I realized that it was because they have to pay so much more for the products, so if they sell at the price of the koreans there's no profit, and that's the point of owning a business. once I am finished with my education and I am ready to open my store, I pray that the group of people wanting to see this industry fruitful of AA grows, because it is hard to achieve something great for our people of our own people aren't behind it.

Sent from My Android ;)

@ProfectivGirl - You need to PM me seriously. I already have some ideas in the mix and need to get with some like-minded people to get this thing going.

I heard that the U.S. govt. passed some kind of law to ease trade so that the Koreans could dominate that industry. I'll try and find that source. It's so complicated...just like the bailout. You see it happening, you feel the pain but you don't quite know all the ins and out of how the heck it happened lol! I don't hate anybody and would/do support orgs that pool energies cross-community. However, the Koreans didn't give a good darn about the Black community when it came to this. They saw how the banks did us and how they could slyly come right on in and push everybody else out. Have they ever helped build a park, fix a roof, host a community food kitchen or even a neighborhood barbecue? Nope!

My dad tried to open one and he's an experienced business man but in antiques and other entrepreneurial industries (I didn't inherit that gene lol) and he said it was next to impossible to keep it running where he was because of the shut-out. You can do it...but you will face murder to try and make a chain of stores like they do....Gigi etc. Now, there are Black-owned (at least, I think they were) suppliers and they mostly do business with other black bss' and licensed professionals. Maybe if more of us invested in that...??? I'd like to do something to own my own. Need partners and a vision....and some money! :nono::lachen:

@Guitarhero - PM me too girl. I'm definitely game -- I really think we could get this going.

@Junebug D - In agreeance with the bolded. This is where the Korean, and now in my area Arab BSS stores thrive. Which is another topic -- It's not just Korean BSS anymore.

This is also how IMO - Sally's is so successful. They focused on stylists, not weave and made it convenient and reasonable to shop at their stores.

My reasoning for wanting to start a BSS is a bit different, it's not about "taking back" our market. But moreso the set-up and treatment that we receive while there.

I have a serious issue with the rudeness, and set-up of the stores. Just walls of hair and everything else is so cheap. They are Wal-mart to me and I want my BSS to be Tar-jay.

I have lots of ideas of how to put this plan in process. I am just looking for some like-minded, SERIOUS, divas AND resources to get this started.

With all the military folks out there, I KNOW someone knows a few AAs that speak and read Korean :lachen::lachen::lachen:.

Korean's may only do business with their own. But I do know that the Chinese don't get a fluff. Respect talks. And that's where most of these products are made anyways. I have a few colleages in China, that I am sure are more than willing to assist in this venture.

This would be a pretty good story that the next multi-million dollar business was started by women that met on a hair care forum. :yep::yep::yep:

greenandchic

Its my dream too.

I wonder who I would cater to though. I could just do hair products, natural, indie, larger names and salon products, but would it cover my overhead and then some, or would I need to break out into selling hair too? Also were I live I would need to cater to all hair types not just black/natural/curly. Unlike where I lived in the Bay Area, there are not many naturals here...

......just thinking out loud.....

Your Cheeziness

There is a small black owned bss in my neighborhood. I try to frequent them whenever I can, regardless of their small selection. However, they are consistently inconsistent. It could be the middle of the day during "business hours" and they have a sign on their door talking about they are closed for one reason or another. As far as I know it's a hubby and wife who run it.

This past weekend I passed by three times to purchase kinky twists hair, but they were closed at least from 10am - 12pm. So, I ended up going to the asian bss down the street. I don't know when they eventually opened up. There were also times I've called first (because I know how they are) and there was no answer.

So, while I prefer to support small black business, I simply can't wait for my needs when there are many other stores within blocks who are staffed or stocked enough to be open.

Last edited:

LongLeggedLife

I dont see where there's anything to "take back". You can't 'take back', somebody elses hair that you never had control of to begin with.
Until the majority of black women ditch fake (human)hair altogether, the industry will stay the same.
I dont see this happening willingly, but it has been said that the demand for hair greatly exceeds what is available, so if we are lucky, we will see an shortage of it and prices so exorbitant that it will force people to come up with alternatives, and synthetic hair will be the go to item. Perhaps blacks will be able to find an 'in' with that since it can be factory produced instead of produced from someones(non-black) scalp.

greenandchic

I dont see where there's anything to "take back". You can't 'take back', somebody elses hair that you never had control of to begin with.
Until the majority of black women ditch fake (human)hair altogether, the industry will stay the same.
I dont see this happening willingly, but it has been said that the demand for hair greatly exceeds what is available, so if we are lucky, we will see an shortage of it and prices so exorbitant that it will force people to come up with alternatives, and synthetic hair will be the go to item. Perhaps blacks will be able to find an 'in' with that since it can be factory produced instead of produced from someones(non-black) scalp.

That's what I was thinking when I was dreaming of owning a BSS. The "traditional" BSS here in PDX are like huge warehouses that's 50%+ weaves and wigs. WE need to change our own market and it starts with what's on our head.

nicole625

Everyone's ideas sounds great! I think this is a subject that should passed along to all of the the other black haircare forums as well. I have always made an effort to support black owned businesses and family owned businesses as well.

MRJ1972

There is "1" black owned beauty supply store in my town competing with 100's of Korean stores who employ young black girls to help sell their merchandise. This store is family owned and they are sinking slowly. They cant compete with the wig/ weave stock that the Koreans have because the vendors wont sell to them. I still buy my professional products from this family and they service lots of salons, so this is good.

It's really sad that we are STILL begging black americans to support each other's businesses? So frustrating!