BLACKS TAKING BACK THEIR BILLION $ HAIRCARE INDUSTRY FROM KOREANS!

Honey6928215

I couldn't think of a better place to post this than in the Haircare thread since the topic is about haircare and haircare products not to mention there are a lot more viewers on this thread. Read the article below:

BOBSA is the premier national organization that provides African American's the platform to demonstrate competitive leadership in the $9 billion dollar Black Hair Care & Cosmetic Industry nationwide and internationally.

BOBSA is the premier national organization that provides African American's the platform to demonstrate competitive leadership in the $9 billion dollar Black Hair Care & Cosmetic Industry nationwide and internationally.

As a major modern American industry founded by African-Americans.
For all the african americans that need help starting a beauty supply store

As a major modern American industry founded by African-American women, it is our responsibility in honor of their entrepreneurial spirit, to distinguish ourselves by demonstrating ethical leadership in commanding ownership in this arena. We endorse integrity and respect in all facets of this industry, in business endeavors and in service to our community. We recognize, value, and seek out those individuals and businesses that have a positive impact on related traditional and new hair care institutions. We have established to connect the black dots.

The industry that serves millions of African-Americans and billions of black people worldwide has to respect us. We were formed to help you grow your ideas into reality. How can we help you is the question that lead with and have since our founding 9 years ago.

As a major modern American industry founded by African-American women, it is our responsibility in honor of their entrepreneurial spirit, to distinguish ourselves by demonstrating ethical leadership in commanding ownership in this arena. We endorse integrity and respect in all facets of this industry, in business endeavors and in service to our community. We recognize, value, and seek out those individuals and businesses that have a positive impact on related traditional and new hair care institutions. We have established to connect the black dots.

The industry that serves millions of African-Americans and billions of black people worldwide has to respect us. We were formed to help you grow your ideas into reality. How can we help you is the question that lead with and have since our founding 9 years ago.

YouTube - ‪Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentary Part One‬‏

Cherokee-n-Black

I would luv to see a natural hair BSS that sold things like essential oils, veggie glycerin, giovanni products, KCCC, et. all. I hate every time I see somethin' on this forum I have to go on the NYC scavenger hunt to find it!

prettypithy

Why must everything always be framed in terms of opposition to other groups? How about we get back into the business because it is lucrative and we're best positioned to be successful within in it as opposed to "taking it back from Koreans"? Also, if your competitor takes your business it isn't "rightfully yours"--business is competitive and you lost out. Get back in the game and focus on your own strengths and cultivate business rather than wasting time thinking about what was "taken from you." I agree with the content but I think the tone could use improvement.

LadyRaider

I normally would side with you, PrettyPithy, but I have learned that "the other group" in question went out of their way to take black businesses out of the running. Things like Korean retailers only buying from other Koreans, even if an African American supplier was more viable. "They" in this case made a concentrated effort to drive out AA's in this business. I remember reading about a certain piece of equipment, a straightening iron/curling iron gizmo, that African Americans made. The Koreans refused to buy it and that made it unavailable for retail purchase.

That said, it's just the way the war is fought. There should not necessarily be hard feelings or retaliation in kind. If we can take back the hair care industry because the market has changed (less need for Indian hair, for instance!) and we can supply the best products for our own hair, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Miss*Tress

LadyRaider Koreans are better at supporting their own than we are. Someone posted on here about a Korean getting shoddy service from a Korean dentist. When the member recommended that her Korean friend sue the dentist, the response was that they don't , that, there would be one less Korean professional, etc., etc. They are much more united than we are in general or within specific communities like Jamaican, African-American and so on.

prettypithy

I normally would side with you, PrettyPithy, but I have learned that "the other group" in question went out of their way to take black businesses out of the running. Things like Korean retailers only buying from other Koreans, even if an African American supplier was more viable. "They" in this case made a concentrated effort to drive out AA's in this business. I remember reading about a certain piece of equipment, a straightening iron/curling iron gizmo, that African Americans made. The Koreans refused to buy it and that made it unavailable for retail purchase.

That said, it's just the way the war is fought. There should not necessarily be hard feelings or retaliation in kind. If we can take back the hair care industry because the market has changed (less need for Indian hair, for instance!) and we can supply the best products for our own hair, then there's nothing wrong with that.

LadyRaider It sounds like you're fairly knowledgeable about this topic so perhaps you can elucidate another point for me. I know Koreans are extremely well represented in the BSS industry but what about companies that make relaxers? Aren't the majority white-owned? There are numerous facets to the hair care industry, not all of which are controlled by Koreans who forced out blacks. With that said, your above comment gives needed context--thank you.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I have not spent one thin dime in an Asian owned beauty supply store in years, and I will never shop in one again.

Honey6928215

This is not the first time I heard this. I read that they unite to drive out the AA out of business and everything comes and goes through them.

prettypithy

Also, not to be a legal geek here, but if what they are essentially alleging is that competing Korean firms act as a cartel, then why aren't we bringing antitrust suits on these facts? There are proper legal channels for redress if the situation is as alleged. I have not heard of anyone pursuing this through the proper legal channels. Does anyone have info on that? Spreading the word in the community is one thing but taking appropriate legal action sends a far stronger message.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Sadly, from first hand knowledge, this is true. They will also go out of the way to make it more difficult for an AA business to get competitive pricing. My aunt and uncle ran a clean, well stocked store. However, they found it hard to maintain lower pricing when the Korean suppliers would routinely quote pricing in an upper tier while providing lower pricing to their competitors. Plus other stuff that eventually lead to them simply giving up and walking away. Its sad because many SAY they want to patronize a black-owned building, but, when it comes down to it, lowering pricing wins out the majority of times.

Honey6928215

Also, not to be a legal geek here, but if what they are essentially alleging is that competing Korean firms act as a cartel, then why aren't we bringing antitrust suits on these facts? There are proper legal channels for redress if the situation is as alleged. I have not heard of anyone pursuing this through the proper legal channels. Does anyone have info on that? Spreading the word in the community is one thing but taking appropriate legal action sends a far stronger message.

OMG! You have a point there. This could be a lawsuit IF proven but it's obvious because they do take over the AA haircare industry with an iron fist. I'm going to check the organization BOBSA and read more about it.

Cherokee-n-Black

@LadyRaider Koreans are better at supporting their own than we are. Someone posted on here about a Korean getting shoddy service from a Korean dentist. When the member recommended that her Korean friend sue the dentist, the response was that they don't , that, there would be one less Korean professional, etc., etc. They are much more united than we are in general or within specific communities like Jamaican, African-American and so on.

Not really taking a side here, but I ain't neva' seen a Korean in a BSS that wasn't working there--or products designed for their hair!

ETA: As hard as it is to find, when I do find a black-owned BSS, I do support. There's one on my block that is barely a storefront, but if they sell it there, I'll buy it there--plus, he's a nice older brotha...

Honey6928215

I have been going to this BSS five minutes from my house. They are from Egypt. You wouldn't know it until they talk. One of the owners have long, thick hair down below her hips. I keep forgeting to ask her what she use (like sh'e going to tell me) but they are really nice. And they keep their supplies stock. Before I moved to this area I went to this BSS which was own by man who is from West Africa. He is sweet, too. Been there for years. I always try to patron Black-owned business. Eventhough they are foreign and look like us I rather go to them than to the Koreans.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I feel like the Natural Hair Movement is a chance for us to support up and coming black businesses like Qhemet, Oyin, Kinky Curly, etc.

BklynHeart

Yes, I think it was by Kizure or something like that. They also started knocking off the equipment and passing it off as the real thing. Some stylists started noticing how shoddy it was, heating up too fast, and started to complain. The Asians also did it with hair extensions too. Started knocking them off and wouldn't purchase from the Black-owned companies.

Honey6928215

Yes, I think it was by Kizure or something like that. They also started knocking off the equipment and passing it off as the real thing. Some stylists started noticing how shoddy it was, heating up too fast, and started to complain. The Asians also did it with hair extensions too. Started knocking them off and wouldn't purchase from the Black-owned companies.

Man, they are some shiesty people!

My Friend

Anti trust laws are use in the US right? I'm unsure if this applies to other countries. Koreans use companies overseas to buy so they have taken over the market. The supply house will not speak to anyone other than Koreans. The book that you order from is in Korean.

I knew a lady that bought a BSS from some older Koreans. They would have to place the order for her. Once they decided to move back to their country, she had had to close her business. Yes. The US companies sold to her but if you want the cheapest price per item, you have to buy from overseas.

The knockoffs in the Korean BSS look EXACTLY like the name brand. Pro stores Prices are not dirt cheap :nono: they are usually 20-40% less than retail. New and must have items are more like 20% less than retail €Argan oil €. Since the boom of fake purses, they figured out that some people want something for nothing, so in essence they are giving you nothing for a little something.

I would love for all the 1 million members on here to buy only black but after seeing the responses when someone post a product they are lauching, a book they wrote, or a seminar their giving, I realize that are far from supporting each other.:ohwell:

For a black business to survive it has to be everything to everybody. When it doesn't meet someones expectations, we quickly tear it down. Although, no other place of business rolled out the red carport, asked you about your needs and wants, we will still give them our money.

We have Korean, Indian, Chinese, etc markets and stores, where's the Black store? Yes. A Black store. When all the other cultures opened their store no one questioned why they had to be seperate :nono:

Nothing is going to change until we change.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Anti trust laws are use in the US right? I'm unsure if this applies to other countries. Koreans use companies overseas to buy so they have taken over the market. The supply house will not speak to anyone other than Koreans. The book that you order from is in Korean.

I knew a lady that bought a BSS from some older Koreans. They would have to place the order for her. Once they decided to move back to their country, she had had to close her business. Yes. The US companies sold to her but if you want the cheapest price per item, you have to buy from overseas.

The knockoffs in the Korean BSS look EXACTLY like the name brand. Pro stores Prices are not dirt cheap :nono: they are usually 20-40% less than retail. New and must have items are more like 20% less than retail €Argan oil €. Since the boom of fake purses, they figured out that some people want something for nothing, so in essence they are giving you nothing for a little something.

I would love for all the 1 million members on here to buy only black but after seeing the responses when someone post a product they are lauching, a book they wrote, or a seminar their giving, I realize that are far from supporting each other.:ohwell:

For a black business to survive it has to be everything to everybody. When it doesn't meet someones expectations, we quickly tear it down. Although, no other place of business rolled out the red carport, asked you about your needs and wants, we will still give them our money.

We have Korean, Indian, Chinese, etc markets and stores, where's the Black store? Yes. A Black store. When all the other cultures opened their store no one questioned why they had to be seperate :nono:

Nothing is going to change until we change.
bravo.......

somewhereinbtwn

Well good for us! Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where I can find a Black owned bss in LA, besides the one on Pico and San Vicente.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I feel like the Natural Hair Movement is a chance for us to support up and coming black businesses like Qhemet, Oyin, Kinky Curly, etc.

I do too! Even though I'm relaxed I'd prefer AA made natural products any day over Ms. Clairol and the like. I buy my products at Target & Sephora by would gladly patronize an AA BSS.

Sugar

Well good for us! Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where I can find a Black owned bss in LA, besides the one on Pico and San Vicente.

The one I go to is in Studio City...on Ventura Blvd and Eureka Ave. Its called SuperStar.

In regards to the original topic...what products are Koreans keeping other people from buying? It can't be relaxers, shampoos, conditioners, and items like that. Those things are manufacturers mostly by large companies and can be purchased easily. Even stores like Maly's and Cosmoprof will sell to any BSS.

firecracker

I stopped buying from Korean BSS a long long time ago because they sale bogus products. I still go to Friday's Beauty Supply at the edge of Compton and a local black salon on Robertson sales the products I use.

I have patronized Wilshire Beauty Supply when Miss Jessies was there giving a seminar and consultations. Now I need to stop giving those Koreans that bought the local market/package liquor store my dang pennies but they have a great 99cent section! LOL

Great article and discussion. We really need to support black businesses but some of them need to learn better business skills etc to keep us coming back.

RossBoss

I have not spent one thin dime in an Asian owned beauty supply store in years, and I will never shop in one again.

Co-sign. I'd like to add, that I have NEVER eaten from those nasty carryouts that are littered in Black areas across the US. :yep:

RossBoss

My dad always says that the Black community needs a laxative to flush out all the junk and filth that has been dumped into it for the past 45 years, these Asian/Arab BSS and carryouts being just one of them. LOL

Lovelylocs

I try not to buy from those stores, but what do you do when they are the only ones that sell the product? They are the only ones that sell the AlfaParf and Alter Ego products that they use in the salons. :-(

Guitarhero

When banks get over their prejudice (even the Black-owned ones) and stop redlining folks in their own communities, these businesses will come back. When we are no longer shut out of the large hair clubs to be able to purchase items on the super cheap, we will dominate that industry again. I've even seen evidence/trend of Black women and men going to India to start their own weave businesses and oversee the suppliers. Ultimately, we need to grow our own out...but wigs and weaves can be awesome protective styling and that trend will never die. I want to see Black nail businesses come back. I remember the days when nobody got "they nails did" but black women. Now look...cheap awful jobs, ruined nails, dangerous chemicals even though illegal...they still do it. Koreans wanna play? We're waiting. So many Blacks have been horribly hit in this recession (I'm talking corporate) and they are looking to start up their own businesses...this is the time! Now, to rectify this lending process....maybe we ought to have the African system where you put into a pot and lend and you pay back. Your entire community is riding your butt until you pay it back...but many a good business was started this way...and it used to be the African American experience until a certain time of desegregation!

Guitarhero

I normally would side with you, PrettyPithy, but I have learned that "the other group" in question went out of their way to take black businesses out of the running. Things like Korean retailers only buying from other Koreans, even if an African American supplier was more viable. "They" in this case made a concentrated effort to drive out AA's in this business.

As well as the Chinese and Vietnamese and Hispanics!~!~! Yes, they did.

fabbodbobbi

Honesty, I prefer to purchase products from an AA own business rather then a Korean store. Im convince they dont respect us and the service they provides is poor. I work too damn hard to earn a living. Im at the point to my life I've been selective in where I want to share my hard earn dollars with.

So now this is out in the open. Now what? What are the ways to strengthen AA business and community? I want to learn how.

Bobbie

Lovelylocs

I don't think it costs that much to start up your own shop. I think if you save, you could start one. You have to make a business plan to see how much you will need and when you should expect to see a return on investment.