Anyone ever tried a real Mayonnaise or Avocado treatment for dry hair?

Anna9764

Searched high and low today for Avocado oil, none of my local grocers or any of the markets sell it. Gonna order on-line. I wanted to put some in my Ayurvedic paste tonight, it's my friday wash night. Used coconut oil instead along with others. Gonna venture out using more coconut products, I have coconut oil and milk gonna purchase coconut concentrate on line....it's been said that they nourish the hair well.

Anna9764

It's friday my hair night, I decided to put a little protein in my hair sense i'm relaxing next week :grin: so i'm using the last of the yogurt mixed with Ayurvedic powders and a variety of oils and honey...lots of oils and honey. Looking for more moisture than my first yogurt treatment. Watched a quick video on yogurt and honey mask on you tube(Spa Facials: How to do a honey yogurt facial mask) gonna give that a try also :yep: maybe i'll have glowing results from the facial not really loving it for hair, wouldn't re-purchase it for hair :nono:

Nice Lady

I have used Spectrum Organic Mayonaisse and placed a plastic cap and left it on with no heat for 1 hour and rinsed it out with cool water. My hair was stronger--I don't know if I would necessary do it again. Plus, now I am shampooing less and co-washing more.

Anna9764

Last week I relaxed :grin: so this week I need some moisture. In my hair now is: 1 whole ripe Avocado, 2 Tbls of mayo and 2 Tbls of honey :yep: mixed well in my food processor :lick: hoping for moisture moisture and more moisture :drunk:

*Muffin*

I'm going to do a hair treatment next week using Avocado, Coconut milk, and Mayonnaise. Can't wait to see what it does for my hair :).

Libra08

I absolutely LOVE adding bananas to my DCs! My mixture includes 2 ripe bananas, Moisturizing conditioner, Olive Oil, Honey, and Castor Oil. I always have soft hair everytime! Mixing Olive oil and an egg is the BEST protein treatment IMHO. I have used Joico and Aphogee, but none compare to this simple recipe!

Aggie

I absolutely LOVE adding bananas to my DCs! My mixture includes 2 ripe bananas, Moisturizing conditioner, Olive Oil, Honey, and Castor Oil. I always have soft hair everytime! Mixing Olive oil and an egg is the BEST protein treatment IMHO. I have used Joico and Aphogee, but none compare to this simple recipe!

Mmmm, this combination sounds yummy for hair. I really want to try this one when I take my braids down:yep:.

AshMoBev

Just whipped up eggs, mayo, and evoo....sitting with this stinky mess in my hair (kinda makes me gag a bit :barf: ). Mhair started breaking out of know where (I DONT KNOW WHYYYY!) but i dont want any more setbacks...sooo fingers crossed hoping to get results like you all!!

misstig

Hi Girls, i have used Mayo, Honey and eggs way before my hair journey. think its cause i was/am a cheap skate. But honey gives this amazing shine. Mayo makes my hair strong and shiny, plus i dont get that hard effect when compared to hardcore protein treatments.

*Muffin*

I really wasn't a big fan of the eggs in my mix. I have fine strands, but a lot of hair, and the eggs made my hair and my new growth so voluminous that it was kind of hard to put it in a pony tail. The next time I do a natural protein treatment I'm going to use Braggs Liquid Amino Acids. It's plant protein, so I figure it will make a good protein treatment. I'm going to mix it in greek yogurt and maybe add some oils or mayo for moisture :yep:.

Aggie

I really wasn't a big fan of the eggs in my mix. I have fine strands, but a lot of hair, and the eggs made my hair and my new growth so voluminous that it was kind of hard to put it in a pony tail. The next time I do a natural protein treatment I'm going to use Braggs Liquid Amino Acids. It's plant protein, so I figure it will make a good protein treatment. I'm going to mix it in greek yogurt and maybe add some oils or mayo for moisture :yep:.

Voluminous you say....Oh yeah, I'm game. I will be trying this for myself:yep:. Thanks for sharing your experience witht he egg. This is definitely something I want my hair to look - "voluminous" :yep::grin:.

*Muffin*

Please let us know what results you got Muffin.

I have coconut milk also muffin haven't used it yet. Would to hear your results :yep:

I will definitely let you ladies know. I can't wait for the results myself :yay:. I'm going to take 1 whole avocado (well, more like 75% of the avocado because I have plans for a facial mask with the other 25% :grin:) and blending it into a thick consistency using the coconut milk (I might use mostly the cream that settles at the top). Then I'll add a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise, a couple of drops of neem oil, a tablespoon or two of honey, and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Hopefully it turns out well. I'm going to do this treatment Wednesday.

*Muffin*

Voluminous you say....Oh yeah, I'm game. I will be trying this for myself:yep:. Thanks for sharing your experience witht he egg. This is definitely something I want my hair to look - "voluminous" :yep::grin:.

:lachen: Yeah, it definitely made my hair "full of volume", :grin:. And my hair has a tendency of puffing so I didn't really like the look. But I'm weird like that. I think most people consider volume a good thing.

Libra08

Yeah egg treatments will most give you some added thickness!

*Muffin*

I have a quick question as regards to mayonnaise hair treatments and natural treatments in general: Must they be done on dry hair or will good results be achieved on slightly dampened hair as well? I ask this because I HATE DC'ing when I have product (like the conditioners I use for leave-in's) in my hair. I like to rinse my hair thoroughly and then blot dry before I doing a treatment. I rationalize that the products that I have sitting in my hair may impair the treatment from penetrating as deeply as it could.

Last edited:

Anna9764

I will definitely let you ladies know. I can't wait for the results myself :yay:. I'm going to take 1 whole avocado (well, more like 75% of the avocado because I have plans for a facial mask with the other 25% :grin:) and blending it into a thick consistency using the coconut milk (I might use mostly the cream that settles at the top). Then I'll add a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise, a couple of drops of neem oil, a tablespoon or two of honey, and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Hopefully it turns out well. I'm going to do this treatment Wednesday.
My favorite avocado hair treatment-facial recipe is on you-tube (How to: Avocado Hair Mask Tutorial (Repairing hair mask)) It's so cute and cool :yep: by Bubzbeauty....check it out.

Anna9764

I have a quick question as regards to mayonnaise hair treatments and natural treatments in general: Must they be done on dry hair or will good results be achieved on slightly dampened hair as well? I ask this because I HATE DC'ing when I have product (like the conditioners I use for leave-in's) in my hair. I like to rinse my hair thoroughly and then blot dry before I doing a treatment. I rationalize that the products that I have sitting in my hair may impair the treatment from penetrating as deeply as it could.
When I do my mayonaise treatments i do them on dry hair as directed, heard it can be difficult to get it out of your hair otherwise. I mixed an whole avocado with honey, EVOO in my food processor and added it to some conditioner after my henna once. So answer your question the Mayo not on wet hair. The food processor really make them a nice smooth consistency :lick: and it's fun. No harsh chemicals and they hydrate and condition the hair :yep: I'm gonna have to open my can of coconut milk soon :grin:

*Muffin*

I also have a question as to the whole baking soda/lemon juice thing. Is it better to add baking soda to the mayo/avocado mixture or lemon juice? I've heard a lot of good things when baking soda is added, but I thought since hair is slightly acidic and baking soda is basic it would be better to add the lemon juice, but it seems more popular to add baking soda.

*Muffin*

My favorite avocado hair treatment-facial recipe is on you-tube (How to: Avocado Hair Mask Tutorial (Repairing hair mask)) It's so cute and cool :yep: by Bubzbeauty....check it out.

I know. I love her videos :). The strawberry and yogurt facial worked great for me, and one day for a protein treatment I may use avocado and just the egg yolk and see how that works out for me.

Angelicus

Anky is also a mayo user.
Yes, I am the mayo queen. A few years ago, I actually mixed mayonnaise and a half of avocado in the blender. I applied it on dry hair as a treatment and my hair felt great. I did not have any avocado bits in my hair.

Lately, I have been coloring my hair with henna and indigo (not to mention, I am on a natural PJ spree) so I have not been using mayonnaise to condition my hair. But, for the past seven years, I have been using mayonnaise as a conditioning treatment on dry hair with fabulous results. People saw a difference in my hair after one usage.

*Muffin*

Did some research online about baking soda/lemon juice. From what I read baking soda is good for softening hair and skin, whereas lemon juice is good for adding shine. The mayo I will be using in the treatment already contains lemon juice as well as vinegar so I think it would be redundant to add any more to the treatment, so I'm using baking soda instead.

Anna9764

Did some research online about baking soda/lemon juice. From what I read baking soda is good for softening hair and skin, whereas lemon juice is good for adding shine. The mayo I will be using in the treatment already contains lemon juice as well as vinegar so I think it would be redundant to add any more to the treatment, so I'm using baking soda instead.
Lemon sounds so....so stripping I can't say never used it in my hair and can't say I heard many others that have. Baking soda i've heard lots of positive feed back about, I put a little in my shampoo once felt a little weird didn't really notice anything, maybe I didn't use enough.

Anna9764

I know. I love her videos :). The strawberry and yogurt facial worked great for me, and one day for a protein treatment I may use avocado and just the egg yolk and see how that works out for me.
Bubzy's avocado tutorial is the best!!! I have her strawberry one in my favorites also, I have maybe 3 or 4 of her videos. I'm gonna have to try the strawberry yogurt one soon :drunk:

loved

I used to have access to the large jars of commercial mayo, which is heavy and oily. I used it biweekly before i washed. It smelled but, but it was a great treatment.

*Muffin*

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm currently deep conditioning with my avocado/mayo concoction. It's been in my hair for a while now (maybe an hour) so I'll be washing it out soon. But before I tell you the results (and to keep you in suspense :grin:) I'll tell you what ingredients I used and how much of it. My hair is relaxed and my length is APL. This mixture that I made yeilded about two servings. I'm saving the other half of it for next week's protein treatment (if I like it):

3/4th's Avocado (used a 1/4th of it for facial mask)
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons Spectrum Organic Canola Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 dropperful of Neem oil
1 tablespoon Safflower oil

Mixed ingredients thoroughly in a blender starting with the avocado and then gradually adding the other ingredients (in order). At first I started off by only adding 3 tablespoons of the cream portion of the coconut milk, but the mixture was so thick that I had to include some of the watery portion as well, so I estimate that I ended up adding about 1/4 cup of the milk. Then I proceeded to add the other ingredients until it was a pudding like consistency. Then after shampooing my hair with Giovanni Golden Wheat shampoo (my hair and scalp were sooo coated, otherwise I wouldn't have washed) and thoroughly blotting dry I applied the mixture in my hair (in sections). Then I covered with plastic baggy and DC'd with heat for about 20-30 minutes.

I guess that's about it. I'll comment back and let you guys know how I liked it ;).

PS. For the avocado facial mask I combined 1/4th an avocado, about a tablespoonful of yogurt, teaspoon of coconut milk, and a teaspoonful of honey. I applied it to a clean face and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinsed off. In my opinion, the mask was okay. My face looked nice and vibrant, but it was too rich for my skin type (combination-oily). I prefer the strawberries instead of the avocado. But I think it would work very well for people with dry skin types.

Aggie

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm currently deep conditioning with my avocado/mayo concoction. It's been in my hair for a while now (maybe an hour) so I'll be washing it out soon. But before I tell you the results (and to keep you in suspense :grin:) I'll tell you what ingredients I used and how much of it. My hair is relaxed and my length is APL. This mixture that I made yeilded about two servings. I'm saving the other half of it for next week's protein treatment (if I like it):

3/4th's Avocado (used a 1/4th of it for facial mask)
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons Spectrum Organic Canola Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 dropperful of Neem oil
1 tablespoon Safflower oil

Mixed ingredients thoroughly in a blender starting with the avocado and then gradually adding the other ingredients (in order). At first I started off by only adding 3 tablespoons of the cream portion of the coconut milk, but the mixture was so thick that I had to include some of the watery portion as well, so I estimate that I ended up adding about 1/4 cup of the milk. Then I proceeded to add the other ingredients until it was a pudding like consistency. Then after shampooing my hair with Giovanni Golden Wheat shampoo (my hair and scalp were sooo coated, otherwise I wouldn't have washed) and thoroughly blotting dry I applied the mixture in my hair (in sections). Then I covered with plastic baggy and DC'd with heat for about 20-30 minutes.

I guess that's about it. I'll comment back and let you guys know how I liked it ;).

PS. For the avocado facial mask I combined 1/4th an avocado, about a tablespoonful of yogurt, teaspoon of coconut milk, and a teaspoonful of honey. I applied it to a clean face and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinsed off. In my opinion, the mask was okay. My face looked nice and vibrant, but it was too rich for my skin type (combination-oily). I prefer the strawberries instead of the avocado. But I think it would work very well for people with dry skin types.

Thank Muffin. The avocado mask wouldn't do well on my combination skin either I guess. I shine like rudolph the red nosed reindeer after only 2 hours of washing my face, urghhh:nono:!

*Muffin*

Searched high and low today for Avocado oil, none of my local grocers or any of the markets sell it. Gonna order on-line. I wanted to put some in my Ayurvedic paste tonight, it's my friday wash night. Used coconut oil instead along with others. Gonna venture out using more coconut products, I have coconut oil and milk gonna purchase coconut concentrate on line....it's been said that they nourish the hair well.

Girl, if you've got a Super Kmart or Super Target near you check there for Avocado oil. I got some really good unrefined Avocado oil there for cheap (I believe anywhere from 6-9 bucks). It's called Olivado Avocado oil. And I know it's good stuff because it's super green and smells like avocados :yep:.