How many AA women you know are MBL or WL

laurend

Another example

CurlyMoo

Laurend, these women have gorgeous hair. Do you know the typical DR diet and exercise? They all seem to be healthy in terms of clear eyes, beautiful skin and not over weight or under weight. The hair is very thick and dark. It's not just the length its the general health of their hair that's got me :spinning:. However, I know that not all are naturally straight so clearly they are using heat or chemical to straighten the hair. Even so the hair is clearly being nurtured. :yep: Do you know the haircare practices in the DR?

BlackMasterPiece

:rolleyes: I think it's time to weave check your cousin. :yep:
LMFAO!!!:lachen: I'm close with her I've been playing in her hair since I was a little girl, its alll her, she does everything wrong and just always had long hair MBL or longer effortlessly.....some people got it good*shrugs* then her sister, my other cousin, who has the same wild fast rate of growth as her, decided to color her hair and thinks she could keep getting them dominican blowouts on the regular:rolleyes: yep she quickly went from midback to semi-decent APL:nono:

CurlyMoo

LMFAO!!!:lachen: I'm close with her I've been playing in her hair since I was a little girl, its alll her, she does everything wrong and just always had long hair MBL or longer effortlessly.....some people got it good*shrugs* then her sister, my other cousin, who has the same wild fast rate of growth as her, decided to color her hair and thinks she could keep getting them dominican blowouts on the regular:rolleyes: yep she quickly went from midback to semi-decent APL:nono:

Yup, it catches up to you eventually.

lboogie2679

My 9 year old daughter and her friend are the only AA I know with MBL hair. I have 2 cousins that are BSL and thats it.

laurend

Laurend, these women have gorgeous hair. Do you know the typical DR diet and exercise? They all seem to be healthy in terms of clear eyes, beautiful skin and not over weight or under weight. The hair is very thick and dark. It's not just the length its the general health of their hair that's got me :spinning:. However, I know that not all are naturally straight so clearly they are using heat or chemical to straighten the hair. Even so the hair is clearly being nurtured. :yep: Do you know the haircare practices in the DR?

It's genetics. When your hair is in the 3 range and you wear braids as a child, you will probably have healthy hair as an adult. Most Dominicans are poor and don't have a lot of money to spend on their hair. They don't exercise(they are starting to get heavier) that much and have the typical island diet of fruit, seafood, and the latin culture of beans and rice. For example, my sponsor child's home is the size of a typical large American living room. With my help, she's a high school and beauty school graduate. She has 2 range to 3a hair and wore braids as a child with no special shampoos, gels or oils in her routine. That's one reason I no longer buy expensive products, after visiting my sponsor children in the DR and Columbia.

A typical Dominican child:

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Raine 054-

Thanks for the picture. Wow…You were blessed lol

Long therapeutic story-

I can think of one AA woman I met some years ago with long MBL + hair IF I am restricted to think in terms of Black Americans. Since I don’t make the distinction between AAs, DRs, Haitians etc. I could add many, many, many more to the list. In fact, her parents were JA but she was born and raised in the US- does she count? And now, I’m thinking of another one who was born and raised in the US from a Haitian mother. Her hair recently became long because she started caring for her hair (maybe secretly found out about LHCF)?

I was born and raised in Haiti (AA parents- long story) and I know TONS and TONS of longhaired women. My desire to have long hair today is, in part, because I felt like I was never beautiful in their (my friends and others) eyes because my hair just wasn’t long or beautiful enough.

I was asked to be in a hair commercial with 3 other girls. I had the shortest hair and the thinnest hair of the group. One had auburn BSL hair (here hair is still one of the most beautiful heads I’ve even known), another short (bob) dark, thick and shiny hair and the other SL thick dark brown hair with a hairline to die for. I never did the commercial because I just couldn’t see what I could add. I was surrounded with beautiful hair at school and at extra-curricular activities classes, social life etc.

However, when I came to the US on holiday I never saw AA girls with long, healthy hair and got hated on quite a bit with the girls I played with on the block in BK. Not pretty enough in Haiti but too pretty in BK- how confusing for a young girl! One day as I was walking with my mother this one girl stopped me and asked ‘Do yo momma do your hai (no ‘r’)?’ I could barely understand her question!

The hair care techniques in Haiti were not different from the DR culture of hair care practices. It is customary to go to the salon every week and getting a DC every week. Most people had perms although today they are much more accepting of natural hair (can’t wait to go rock it when I go back to visit!) Every one (ethnic group) went to the same hair salons (white, black, Latinas, Lebanese, Jewish etc.) There were 4-5 major ones that I could remember. The Lebanese hair salon had the best reputation for getting hair super straight and of course I never felt good enough to go there. In fact, I remember the first time I went to Cleopatra (the name of the salon lol), he asked me ‘who cuts your hair?’ The cut was not up to his standards and I was so embarrassed. The blow dryer was so hot, that the place would get very smoky. My regular salon was the Dr. salons, much cheaper. Hey, mom made me J

Most young girls with no perms had presses. I remember getting my hair pressed on special occasions. So, having a good moisture balance may have contributed to the healthy heads I knew.

In Haiti, we all used Pink Lotion and several other no-nos from this board but the one thing we always knew about were, DCs and rollersets.

PS- I hope to be one of the elusive WL’ers in 2010….

ETA: Young girls have presses on special occasions. But for an everyday style, it's plaits and bows etc as well...

Last edited:

laurend

In the DR they don't press or straighten little girls hair as far as I can see. They just braid it and let it be like the little girl in the picture.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
There was an AA woman that was a client of mine a few years back with MBL hair. It was very thin and relaxed, but still very long.

I also know a WI lady with a waist length natural braid.

Like many others have said, I don't know many people - black, white, AA or other - with MBL or WL hair. Most women don't want hair that long. ***FlowerHair has a revelation*** :lol:

ETA I don't know if it counts, but my 6 year old WI/Ghanaian/Swedish god daughter has almost butt length 4a hair. :yep: But she's short, so it wouldn't be butt length on an adult :lachen: Her hair shrinks to around her "bra strap". Her friend's sister has hair that touches the chair when she sits down. She's from Eritrea.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

IRL, none
On the forum...LOTS! Women on this forum have been my inspiration to grow long hair.

Uhm, yyyyyyyyeah...I'm not looking at ur hair I'm looking at that BACK.
WHOA! What's THAT regimen? PM me, post it in another forum, just get it to me ASAP.

Thanks,

Management.

CurlyMoo

It's genetics. When your hair is in the 3 range and you wear braids as a child, you will probably have healthy hair as an adult. Most Dominicans are poor and don't have a lot of money to spend on their hair. They don't exercise(they are starting to get heavier) that much and have the typical island diet of fruit, seafood, and the latin culture of beans and rice. For example, my sponsor child's home is the size of a typical large American living room. With my help, she's a high school and beauty school graduate. She has 2 range to 3a hair and wore braids as a child with no special shampoos, gels or oils in her routine. That's one reason I no longer buy expensive products, after visiting my sponsor children in the DR and Columbia.

A typical Dominican child:

Bingo, healthy diet and low maintenance hair regimen. Beans are very high in protein. Fish has Omega 3's that is known to aid in making hair shiny and increase growth rates. And fruit is a always healthy. Add that to hair that is of a looser texture means less resistence to combing, less breakage.

princessnad

Ummmm, when I was in DR, I found that many women had amazing hair. Come to find out 1/2 of them have the most amazing hooked up weave (but they are not as open about it like in the US).

They do have some amazing hair though w/o the weave. A few visits to the salon (several times per week for me because it was just so darn cheap) I realized they many had type 4a which I would never think when looking at how straight they would wear their natural hair...and how long it was

princessnad

And let's be honest, their menu isn't all that healthy. Rice and beans with meat is the diet for most of the Caribbean and many islands don't have wonderful long hair like they do. They have found hair practices that work... like limiting grease and gel on the hair because they say it "makes you look dirty" and have good genetics

labelfree

Two of my cousins had MBL when they where younger but once they got to middle school they cut it off and now they wear weaves :ohwell: Other than that I don't know any...kind of makes me said though people in my family only think women with type 3 hair can acheive long hair and even when I show them this site they say "Oh thats a weave" :nono: I can't wait to prove them wrong :grin:

Miss OhLaLa

One, but i dont really 'know' her. I saw her in the line at Walgreens and totally wanted to talk to her because it was when I was transitioning but I did not want to freak her out. This is sad.

princessnad

Fine 4, you're already there in my book :grin:. This is a pretty phenomenal story because it talks about a Black culture that's into long hair. I know Haitian women are supposed to have "secrets" :grin: , but really it just boils down to taking care of the hair so it's more likely to grow to great lengths. Their culture seems less style oriented than ours......I'm convinced that many of the styles/styling products promoted in the US, UK, Frace, etc...are what really does much damage to African textured hair.

Yeah like I try going into the "ethnic aisle" to get some products and the ingredients always SUCK! At least much more than the "regular" aisle... we just need to stick to simple products and good techniques.

BlackMasterPiece

Raine 054-

Thanks for the picture. Wow…You were blessed lol

Long therapeutic story-

I can think of one AA woman I met some years ago with long MBL + hair IF I am restricted to think in terms of Black Americans. Since I don’t make the distinction between AAs, DRs, Haitians etc. I could add many, many, many more to the list. In fact, her parents were JA but she was born and raised in the US- does she count? And now, I’m thinking of another one who was born and raised in the US from a Haitian mother. Her hair recently became long because she started caring for her hair (maybe secretly found out about LHCF)?

I was born and raised in Haiti (AA parents- long story) and I know TONS and TONS of longhaired women. My desire to have long hair today is, in part, because I felt like I was never beautiful in their (my friends and others) eyes because my hair just wasn’t long or beautiful enough.

I was asked to be in a hair commercial with 3 other girls. I had the shortest hair and the thinnest hair of the group. One had auburn BSL hair (here hair is still one of the most beautiful heads I’ve even known), another short (bob) dark, thick and shiny hair and the other SL thick dark brown hair with a hairline to die for. I never did the commercial because I just couldn’t see what I could add. I was surrounded with beautiful hair at school and at extra-curricular activities classes, social life etc.

However, when I came to the US on holiday I never saw AA girls with long, healthy hair and got hated on quite a bit with the girls I played with on the block in BK. Not pretty enough in Haiti but too pretty in BK- how confusing for a young girl! One day as I was walking with my mother this one girl stopped me and asked ‘Do yo momma do your hai (no ‘r’)?’ I could barely understand her question!

The hair care techniques in Haiti were not different from the DR culture of hair care practices. It is customary to go to the salon every week and getting a DC every week. Most people had perms although today they are much more accepting of natural hair (can’t wait to go rock it when I go back to visit!) Every one (ethnic group) went to the same hair salons (white, black, Latinas, Lebanese, Jewish etc.) There were 4-5 major ones that I could remember. The Lebanese hair salon had the best reputation for getting hair super straight and of course I never felt good enough to go there. In fact, I remember the first time I went to Cleopatra (the name of the salon lol), he asked me ‘who cuts your hair?’ The cut was not up to his standards and I was so embarrassed. The blow dryer was so hot, that the place would get very smoky. My regular salon was the Dr. salons, much cheaper. Hey, mom made me J

Most young girls with no perms had presses. I remember getting my hair pressed on special occasions. So, having a good moisture balance may have contributed to the healthy heads I knew.

In Haiti, we all used Pink Lotion and several other no-nos from this board but the one thing we always knew about were, DCs and rollersets.

PS- I hope to be one of the elusive WL’ers in 2010….

ETA: Young girls have presses on special occasions. But for an everyday style, it's plaits and bows etc as well...
Hey! A fellow Ayisyen in der ouwse:cool2: I'm a 1st generation Haitian-American in my fam:grin: my mom is ALWAYS giving me these spectacular recepes from outta nowhere and she acts like its the most regular thing, she be lke oh you want strength you mix x,y,z and that really helps to stop breakage or I'll ask her for a moisture treatment and she jst comes outta nowhere with this nex treatment you NEVA heard of......I be like:blush: damn they aint lyin when they say we got "secrets":lol: Heck I'm STILL learning something new all the time from my mom!!

She didn't know everything about the latest styles but ask her for a natural hair treatment for whatever probem you're having and she'll tell you something that'll work wonders in a second like its the most regular thing ever.....thank goodness for my mom and her DC's from the Haitian countryside:grin: They're life-savers!!! I think imma do a blog post on that:scratchch:yep:

gissellr78

Most of the women in DR don't have weaves...now with things more americanized in latin america a lot of women do wear it...From experience women in DR and in latin america in general are very into hair and beauty...Some of my family members refused to go without make up to the street back home...but as we began to migrate to the us we acquired the relaxed style with hair and everything else....

One thing i know is that our diet is not the best but most latin american women start gaining weight once they come to the us because their is no structure we eat at all times of the day here!

We may be poor back home but we find money to do our hair!:lachen:

Last edited: