Woman Goes 11 Years Without Washing Hair

Spongie Bloom

if she was saturating her hair with product like moisturiser or sealing oils and what not then it would be nasty and it would stink for sure but she puts nothing on her hair to be honest i dont find it as horrific as some people are finding it

Neith

I read a whole thread about this on another hairboard.

My conclusion even WITH this newly aquired knowledge, is that this method is too unsanitary for me. :nono:

Why not just use gentle cleansers? In this day and age, with the knowledge of bacteria and microscopic nasties... I don't see how someone can feel clean while using this technique.

I'm sure that the body's natural oils are "the answer" to all dry skin problems too... but what kind of person would consider not showering for such long periods of time?

Not meant to offend or imply that people should do what I think is right... just expressing my opinion!

crazydaze911

makes sense... shampoo is a relatively new thing in hair care, isn't it? people were using other things to clean their scalps long before shampoo was invented, they weren't washing every day and many still had long locks. :yep:

OMG - i love ur texture/length icon!

pringe

this is really interesting to me. JustKiya, a question for u. Do you know any African Americans who do this? Just interested. I'm patiently waiting for this answer this is interesting!!! lol

facets

that's interesting but my hair loves water too much to try something like that. maybe on straighter hair types?

JustKiya

this is really interesting to me. JustKiya, a question for u. Do you know any African Americans who do this? Just interested. I'm patiently waiting for this answer this is interesting!!! lol

Nope. I've thought, and mulled this over, but without being able to easily and regularly brush your hair in order to distribute the sebum from your scalp down your length - I don't see sebum-only working very well, at all.

I think there are a couple sista's doing water only (and I did it for a while when I was in dreads), but if you have kinks, I - I can't think of a way S/O would work. I think it definitively would not work on relaxed hair (which was my next thought) because the act of relaxing will throw off the scalps natural chemistry, and this works by disturbing that natural chemistry as little as possible.

If you were in dreads, though...... hrm, it might work. But even then, I don't know, because I think the locking itself would provide a 'barrier' that would keep the sebum & etc trapped against your scalp which would lead to funk. :lol:

So...... I'm waiting to run into a AA who is doing this - cuz you know someone is TRYING to - and see how it works for them..... or, more precisely, how they are making it work for them.

:look: I also know of folks who only use oil to clean their entire bodies - which is basically what she is doing with her hair. They have some freaking GORGEOUS skin, too. *sigh*

anon123

ok, so am i the only pervert that noticed the salon name?

omg! :lachen: that has gotta be a joke! who would name their child anita with a last name like cox? or is it through marriage, like when anita baker marries moby . . . well, you remember that joke from 5th grade, don't act like you don't know it. what in the world?! :lachen:

Starr1

For more hair care advice see www.philipkingsley.co.uk CELEBRITY hairdresser, Anita Cox, says hair is not self-cleaning..

"Rinsing hair does not clean it properly - hair reaches a certain point of dirtiness, then it remains the same."

She continues: "People need salon-formula products. A good shampoo will, with the first wash, get rid of dirt, then, with the second wash, nourish hair.

"It's fine to wash your hair daily but people ought to wash their hair twice a week at least."

For details of Anita Cox's salons see www.anitacox.co.uk

A friend of mine does sebum only and not only does she NOT stink, but her hair looks absolutely lovely- so whatever, it works for some. She does make sure to wash her brushes once a week, every week though.

Am I the only person who's wondering why they even quoted a so called celebrity hairdresser? Like her opinion even matters? :rolleyes:

And the bolded is beyond me. . .:perplexed. Apparently we all need salon formula products. And shampoo nourishes hair.:spinning:

Kirei

:rolleyes: She smells like wet dog, right? She has lice, right? Calling her ugly, right?:rolleyes:

Anyway, some of ya'll nasty too then b/c I know some of ya'll butts have had braids and not washed a thing for however long you had your braids or weave. Some people wear weaves and braids for over 2 months (no water touching you hair for 2 months? Ewwww! How nasty are you?) I know ya'll have actually walked around smelling like high stanky heaven and didn't think it was you.:rolleyes:

Obviously, it works for her......I wouldn't try it b/c my hair would get very dry but, if I could I would.

sareca

umm... I too will be trying the no shampoo method. I like water on my scalp to much to not wet my hair daily though...

Same here. I've been low poo for a long time. No poo is the next step for me. I'm not ready to give up my cowashes tho. :nono:

Butterfly08

I don't care if Albert Einstein was reincarnated and told us this method was the best, nope, not gonna. :nono: My hair has *thrived* from daily cowashing. It has never been in better shape, despite the fact that I am now double processed. :nono: My mind just can't wrap around the fact that sebum could do even better than cowashing for me. Plus my scalp itches after 4 - 5 days of no washing, I'd imagine there's a phase where you have to get used to no products..........I can't do it man. :nono: I love my herbal Aveda smells too much. :lick:

dany06

Its not hard to believe. It totally makes since. If she is not putting products in her hair while not washing then she can rely on her natural hair oil. That shouldn't smell to bad if her body is regulating it. The more often I wash my hair the more oil is produced on my scalp. With that my hair starts to stink within a few days. If i wait longer between the times I wash my hair the better my scalp smells for longer.

Water only - :yep: - a lot of people do that - many of whom you would never even suspect. *shrug*

yeah I've heard of water only washing and using water/glycerine sprtitz as leave-ins and that's about it. i've seen quite a few naturals do this and they say it works for them. and i'm not talking about co-washing either - just hot water in the shower and scrubbing and that's it.

Sui Topi

ITA with the white lady. I don't use shampoo, haven't since November 07. My hair doesn't stink and it's growing nicely. I think shampoo strips hair and scalp of natural oils and this causes "dysfunction" of the natural cleansing process of the scalp. In my opinion, shampoos and other harsh detergents clogs pores and probably damages them in some way. Like douching, doctors say don't do it because you disturb your body's own cleansing process. Won' t go into that, but I feel putting harsh cleansers/chemicals on any part of the body will cause the body to not function properly as far as cleansing. I use water only. I also don't put bull**** in my hair that I would need something harsh to get it out. And if you notice, when you use such products your hair does stink after a couple of days. I know, I used to have a closet full of everyone's hydrating formula shampoos, conditioners and hair lotions. I use nothing but pure coconut oil and other various oils not raped by chemical processes on my hair. Thus I don't have stinky scalp or hair. My hair smells like coconut oil mostly. I massage my scalp when wetting it EVERY morning and I don't have flakes or dandruff. Don't believe me, go to my fotki, I have pics of my scalp after taking down corn rows I had for over a week. No build up, no residue, no balls or clumps of anything that my hair couldn't absorb. But you know, these are just my opinions. What works for me might not work for others...

Oh yeah, PS- I also work out regularly and my hair still doesn't stink...but then again it's thoroughly rinsed daily. Also as a disclaimer, after I rinse thoroughly with water I oil my scalp and then coat my hair with shea butter mixed with EVOO and other oils.

I wanna try this too. I think I will this winter.

aint nothin in the world self cleaning except an oven maybe :lachen:

You're stupid!! :lachen:

SimpleKomplexity

This may work for her if she uses little or no product in her hair. As for most AA I don't think this would be a good idea. The product buildup would be underable and clog the pores rather than leaving them open. Plus I think washing your hair is a good stress reliever. I couldn't go months without washing my hair....I need my girl time lol

HoneyDew

I wonder anyone even came up with the idea of shampoo anyway. There was no need. No one desired such a product. The way it had been done for years worked just fine.

Heck, why did anyone even come up with deodorant or perfume either. People never used it a long time ago, why start.

:look::look:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yuriko

It is ok if she does not wash her hair with shampoo. In the olden days when people were not worried about hygiene, it would be ok. But in 2008, we wash with soap or anything that will get the dirt or bacteria off. If ther was someone who said they had not showered in 11 years, but rinse once a month everyone would be yelling gross huh, we . As a black person, I know many women who go months without washing their hair, it does not smell at first, but it eventually does. If she is happy, good for her. But I am not picking it up even if it will grow my hair to Hip length

But if you ever work with animals, on a farm, hospital, construction site or laboratory and actually
get dirt on you, please wash with soap and shampoo. As a doctor and Biologist, I know that there is nothing cleansing about sebum, nothing!!

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

*sigh*

As someone who a) knows at least two people in real life who does this and b) knows many more women on another forum who do this..... no, their hair doesn't stink. No, it's not a breeding ground for lice. No, it's not some uber nasty thing. *sigh*

Really, ladies, just because you've never heard of water only/sebum only cleaning, and don't understand how it works, does not mean it's some nasty, dirty thing. It works for some people, and it works well. :rolleyes:

Responding to an old post..I know. But the stylist on "What Not to Wear" used a lavendar/water spritz on his curly locs and did not shampoo daily...perhaps once bi-weekly? I read about it once.