I think i might try this White girls method of waving the hair..

Mercie

I agree with the others the braidout seems better to do.
When I first saw the girls hair I thought it was a braidout..

kittiekat

i just think the youtube comment that her hair is short is funny. yt people's version of short and our version of short are a world's away from each other. she looks to be about APL or BSL. :rolleyes:

lux10023

i have a wave iron and it produces the most beautiful waves---BUTTTTTTTTTTT

it takes me forever to do my whole head--so i dont do it often--but i do luv the results with some pantene soft hold spray it last 3 days

really? I figured it would be the same. How is it worse?

well for me... i am a perfectionist...
swiping with a flat iron a few quick times and then wrapping it keeps it straight...
with this wave iron, you have to use a spritzy moussey product to make it hold... which usually causes dryness...
if you add moisture the waves frizz up...
and then the next day, you may not have waves at all, so you gotta go back and sizzle your hair some more...

BostonMaria

My daughter has one of those. It definitely works. She got it at Ulta for $25 and sometimes it goes on sale.

I have used it before. If my hair is already straight I will use it and it gives me the coolest waves. I've only done it twice because I'm terrified of heat damage.

unalteredone

I love SaraVictor!

But anyway, I wouldnt use a wave iron, when you can get similar results from a twistout. That iron is definitely more damaging than a flatiron (i only use 1 pass, and MAYBE one quick pass after that) and probably more damaging than a curling iron, because you have to hold it to your hair to let the wave form. Plus it looks like it would take forever!

cutenss

I use a wave iron. But I do my hair in about 4-6 sections only. I don't like a pronunced wave. It gives my hair wave, but with fluff. For me its less heat than a flat iron. My braidouts always look like CRAP, not matter how I do them. :perplexed

Last edited:

STLCoverGirl

I have two waving irons, but my favorite is by Gold N' Hot. It's $29 at Ulta...I do agree you can get the same result with a braidout or twistout. I normally use the waver after day three of a braidout/twistout, it kind of revives the look.

ETA-It only takes me about 20 minutes to do my entire head, I don't leave the crimper still long. If you already have some sort of wave pattern from a braidout/twistout you don't need a lot of heat.

I added a pic, I had just used my waver on an old braidout. This is my favorite style.

Attachments

• DSCN1751.jpg
    DSCN1751.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Those wave clips look interesting. Do you have to put at least 2 together in order to wave the entire length of your hair? Do they pull out any hair?
I havent used them much but they never ever pulled any hair out, although they are pretty heavy. Yes, you need to probably use one large one and one middle sized and maybe the single wave one on the end. They hold a decent amount of hair though..... so a couple of packs is enough for a whole head if I recall correctly..

dachsies_rule!

I like using Macherieamours beach wave tutorial on youtube for getting waves without heat.

See pic below for results.

Attachments

• IMG00202.jpg
    IMG00202.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 17

keykee

I've done waves with a small flat iron.. it looked really good.. but I am sure my hair hated me for it. Like its been said.. i am sure braids would give the same effect minus the heat damage.

Kayanna1212

True.
Ive used a flatiron when i was in a rush.
I braided my hair into 4 sections.
and i put the flat iron on 12 and clamped them and they came out crimpy
HAHA i had an event to be at.